HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Elias vs. Selanne

View Poll Results: Elias vs. Selanne
Patrik Elias 14 20.00%
Teemu Selanne 56 80.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-02-2012, 07:13 PM
sayheykid

vCash: 500
Hard to answer accurately when you don't know what the question is.

sayheykid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
JAVO16

Really, what is the argument for Elias over Selanne right now ? He had 12 more points last year ? 12 more assists too, not goals. Selanne was also playing on a terrible Ducks team. There's a good argument for Selanne over Elias right now and over their career it's not even close (to use an hf meme).

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Really, what is the argument for Elias over Selanne right now ? He had 12 more points last year ? 12 more assists too, not goals. Selanne was also playing on a terrible Ducks team. There's a good argument for Selanne over Elias right now and over their career it's not even close (to use an hf meme).
Who he played against
The position he played
The Devils were predicted to miss the playoffs and go down in flames (to use an hf meme)

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 09:06 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Who he played against
I'll admit that I don't know how both players where used.

Selanne played on the second line with Koivu and some other random winger I guess with a healthy chunk of PP time. He probably didn't face the top shutdown line of the other team then since I suppose the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line were their assignment.

For Elias, I think he played with Zubrus and Sykora while being on the first PP unit from what I recall of the games the Devils played against the Canadiens. I don't know exactly how he was used but I guess he played against fairly rough opposition since Zubrus is usually a shutdown center.

Since both of their point totals seem inflated when compared to their usual linemates, I guess they both got a big boost from playing on the PP.

In the last season, Elias would seem to be the somewhat better players.

However, if you look at the season before last, which should also be a good indicator, we can see that Teemu had 80 in 73 games while Elias had 62 points in 81 games.

This would slightly tilt the balance in favor of Teemu.

Quote:
The position he played
They both play wing, I don't know where you were going with this...

Quote:
The Devils were predicted to miss the playoffs and go down in flames (to use an hf meme)
Predictions don't mean a thing.

Again, to conclude, I still think it's pretty close and debatable who is the best player right now.

Last edited by JAVO16: 10-02-2012 at 09:14 PM.
JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I love Patty, but for the full career it has to be Selanne.

Quote:
For Elias, I think he played with Zubrus and Sykora while being on the first PP unit from what I recall of the games the Devils played against the Canadiens. I don't know exactly how he was used but I guess he played against fairly rough opposition since Zubrus is usually a shutdown center.

Since both of their point totals seem inflated when compared to their usual linemates, I guess they both got a big boost from playing on the PP.

Correct, Elias did play with Sykora and Zubrus for the majority of the season. DeBoer used them as a shutdown line, and they routinely faced opposing top lines. Despite this, Patty put up a great point total.

The Devils' PP wasn't particularly good, but Patty did get a boost in his scoring from being on the first unit, you're right. 29 of his points came on the PP, mostly assists.

No, Elias plays centre now. Over the course of his career, the Devils have asked him to play every forward position, and he has always switched without complaint, and always thrived in his new role. As a centre, he is excellent defensively, good in transition, and a good playmaker in the offensive zone. The only shortcoming is his lack of faceoff ability.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I'll admit that I don't know how both players where used.

Selanne played on the second line with Koivu and some other random winger I guess with a healthy chunk of PP time. He probably didn't face the top shutdown line of the other team then since I suppose the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line were their assignment.

However, if you look at the season before last, which should also be a good indicator, we can see that Teemu had 80 in 73 games while Elias had 62 points in 81 games.

This would slightly tilt the balance in favor of Teemu.

Predictions don't mean a thing.

Again, to conclude, I still think it's pretty close and debatable who is the best player right now.
Elias is miles ahead defensively and can play any forward position as Saugus stated. He had the best Corsi Rel QOC numbers for the Devils, Selanne was 8th on the team.

Say they both put 65 pts next year, I'd rather have Elias since he is one of the best shutdown centers in the league. He faces top lines and actually controls possession way more often then not. His shots directed while on the ice with broken down Sykora and Zubrus(decent player) is quite remarkable.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:16 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
It's pretty close. Selanne has put up better numbers but Elias has been the more complete player throughout their careers.
Career wise it is not close.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:08 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Now, before or all time I'll go with Selanne.

Elias is younger... so I guess we could take him later when Selanne is ready to retire.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Elias is just as good offensively, if not better, and defenitely more well rounded. He's much better defensively and he's a better puck possession player.

Generally speaking, posters have no logic. Everyone talks about 2-way play, yet Pominville ends up way behind Selanne in the top 80 forwards poll series.

2-way play is overrated. Well not actually 2-way play itself, but because it's usually a term tossed around purely on reputation. That's obvious when some players ends up in front of Selanne in those polls because of their 2-way ability, yet other great 2-way players doesn't.

This is all coming from a Ducks fan and Selanne is my favourite player all time (along with Kariya).

Last edited by Elvs: 10-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Ignatius
Midfield Dreadnought

vCash: 0
The day they were born: Elias

When they learned to tie their shoes: Selanne

Ignatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Teemu Selanne

Le Magnifique 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Closer then alot of people are saying here.

Elias has played clsoe to a PPG for his entire Career, all while having a very good all around game.

The answer is still Selanne by a decent margin, but not a huge margin, Elias has had an underrated career.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote