Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

KPD pisses off bloggers

Old
10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
I guess this is just bitterness over the fact that the Globe's "pay for exclusive online content" isn't taking off since the same information is readily available for free in the blogosphere?

I really do enjoy the trolling attempts by KPD though. It's hilarious. Must be tough watching some slappy who probably never graduated college break a big story before all the "reputable" guys with their big paper credentials. Simply one of the last gasps from a dying industry.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I guess this is just bitterness over the fact that the Globe's "pay for exclusive online content" isn't taking off since the same information is readily available for free in the blogosphere?

I really do enjoy the trolling attempts by KPD though. It's hilarious. Must be tough watching some slappy who probably never graduated college break a big story before all the "reputable" guys with their big paper credentials. Simply one of the last gasps from a dying industry.
I am looking forward to the next cry fest from the Globe Unions when they fall further in the hole.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
Anybody know what Haggs thinks about all this?

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
You just HAD to go there didn't you?

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
He was acually tweeting yesterday about HFboards, about how there's a soderberg thread and bruins fans need to "move along" . Was just a thread on how he's really stepped his game up, i think we all know he's not coming . . .

Last edited by doubleminor138: 10-03-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: edited out quoted deleted post
Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
hoss75

I get that times are changing as far as media goes, but I don't get why big time journalists don't see the opportunity? Now, more than ever before newspapermen can uncover the topics of interest to fans, the questions they have, some misconceptions there are via twitter, bloggers, or hfboards. Then they can turn around and have the most resources to address it all. Hell, half the work can be done for them.. "Gang, tweet me some questions for Cam Neely." Yeah, the traditional channel for news is dying, but it could be a golden age for journalism if people took advantage of it.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins Stooge View Post
He was acually tweeting yesterday about HFboards, about how there's a soderberg thread and bruins fans need to "move along" . Was just a thread on how he's really stepped his game up, i think we all know he's not coming . . .
Like most of the media folks that have posted here, he seemingly got irritated when someone would challenge their opinions, instead of just accepting them. Typical thin skin from those guys. Whatever.

Not. Missing. The. Supposed. "Insiders". At. All.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss75 View Post
I get that times are changing as far as media goes, but I don't get why big time journalists don't see the opportunity? Now, more than ever before newspapermen can uncover the topics of interest to fans, the questions they have, some misconceptions there are via twitter, bloggers, or hfboards. Then they can turn around and have the most resources to address it all. Hell, half the work can be done for them.. "Gang, tweet me some questions for Cam Neely." Yeah, the traditional channel for news is dying, but it could be a golden age for journalism if people took advantage of it.
Some do. The best sportswriter in the U.S. is Joe Posnanski, and he's embraced the blogosphere.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/

Luddites have been with us since the Industrial Revolution. Some grab their surfboards and ride the wave of change, some rail against it and drown.

There is hockey going on right now, not just the NHL lockout, which is news in itself, but every other league in the world is either playing or preparing for the season. The Boston Globe's hockey coverage blows chunks. I've seen next to nothing about players in the Bruins system, whether they're in Providence (which is minutes away from Boston) or in college or Canadian junior. I don't think I'm the only Bruins fan who wants to know about these guys. Instead of doing some work, Dupont is spending his time conducting a vendetta against bloggers. At least Haggerty is doing his job and keeping fans up to date.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Like most of the media folks that have posted here, he seemingly got irritated when someone would challenge their opinions, instead of just accepting them. Typical thin skin from those guys. Whatever.

Not. Missing. The. Supposed. "Insiders". At. All.
you really don't miss insightful nuggets like "heard from a keyed in source who really has his finger on the pulse of the negotiations that this lockout could drag out for the rest of the season, or be resolved very soon. Hoping for the latter, wouldn't be surprised by the former. Only time will tell."

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:16 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Preemptive plea to the mods: he's had one post here in the last ten or so weeks. I can't recall the last bit of inside info he provided here. He antagonized an entire network of people who read HF daily.

Can we please discuss this (within reason) without it being shut down due to KPD being a poster?
Only if we don't have to delete half a page of posts that aren't actually discussion worthy and amount to "KPS sucks". Look to your fellow posters, not to the mods.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Preemptive plea to the mods: he's had one post here in the last ten or so weeks. I can't recall the last bit of inside info he provided here. He antagonized an entire network of people who read HF daily.

Can we please discuss this (within reason) without it being shut down due to KPD being a poster?

Mike, I'll keep it open as long as the posts aren't personal attacks against KPD. Your post, along with a few others (Artemis, Hoss, Bruwinz, etc.) are good, as the topic of old (print) vs. new (internet) is valid and interesting.

PS...in the midst of the college application process...have a lot of students applying to Lehigh this year.

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
BubbaBoot

Familiarity breeds contempt, with yet another whipping boy thread.....jeezus I can't wait until this ****ing lock-out ends.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
chippa13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension Plan Puppets View Post
He's not a Hall of Fame writer.
you ain't kidding.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post
Mike, I'll keep it open as long as the posts aren't personal attacks against KPD. Your post, along with a few others (Artemis, Hoss, Bruwinz, etc.) are good, as the topic of old (print) vs. new (internet) is valid and interesting.

PS...in the midst of the college application process...have a lot of students applying to Lehigh this year.
Well I can empathize with KPD....seems the only way to be relevant nowadays is to twitter and facebook and other such nonsense. Looks to be much ado about nothing with lots of time wasted on trivialities and reminiscence, but it's the "wave of the future" I'm told.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Well I can empathize with KPD....seems the only way to be relevant nowadays is to twitter and facebook and other such nonsense. Looks to be much ado about nothing with lots of time wasted on trivialities and reminiscence, but it's the "wave of the future" I'm told.
Seems to me that the only way to be relevant as a writer is to write relevant things, no matter what your platform is.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Like anything else, twitter and other social media are tools. Just as the telegraph was a tool, and the telephone, teletype and so on. I wonder if any 19th century journalists railed against the telegraph?

A good journalist uses whatever tool is available to do his or her job. The one thing social media has done is make that tool available to everyone, but what's wrong with that? Quality will still be the watchword. I read someone like Bob McKenzie because he's good at his job; I ignore bozos like hockeyyyinsiderrrr because he's a moron. The medium makes no difference.

If Dupont or any other "mainstream" journalists have trouble with bloggers, perhaps they should stop expecting their readers to pay attention to them because they're dishing up what's served to them by the NHL clubs they cover, and get out there and bust their tails, the way guys like Kirk or Bob Mand are doing. Tell me how the Bruins prospects are doing. What's going on with Providence? Tell me what guys like Danny Paille are up to. How is Dougie Hamilton dealing with the lockout?

If Dupont wants to write interesting stuff about the Bruins, I'll read it. If he wants to rant about bloggers, sneer at fans, and dump on Bruins players, as he's done for the past few years, I'll pass.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
patty59

He's probably just pissed off that the bloggers are taking up all the good seats in the PB and eating all the pizza in the media room.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBruin View Post
Seems to me that the only way to be relevant as a writer is to write relevant things, no matter what your platform is.
Exactly. When reading anything, whether it be a book, article, blog, or even a post here, I try to consider the source and then react appropriately. KPD is trying to prove a point, but I'm not sure the point is worth proving. Plenty of "legitimate" journalists have been caught recently committing plagiarism in their works. So the whole journalistic integrity thing as compared to bloggers is really kind of moot, IMO.

That's a long way to go just to say this: If people seek their news elsewhere, the original source shouldn't take issue with that new outlet, and deride them. They'd be better served by looking in the mirror and asking themselves why people no longer consider them for their information. Just a thought.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:34 PM
FutureConsiderations

Would love to know KPD's thoughts on the Botta debacle. Not a snipe here, I'd really like to know if he's in favor of locking out established pros from locker rooms.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooperDrivesTheBoat View Post

To tie this back in to my own ADD Generation, the school operated in a near anonymity in New England (except among Patriot Leaguers) until the basketball team beat Duke.

I bet their applications skyrocket this year - an unfortunate indicator that athletics programs do more for a school's image than millions of dollars in research.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Would love to know KPD's thoughts on the Botta debacle. Not a snipe here, I'd really like to know if he's in favor of locking out established pros from locker rooms.
Refresh if u would FC.Botta locked out of access to the Islanders by Snow correct??? Details fuzzy, comes with age

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Refresh if u would FC.Botta locked out of access to the Islanders by Snow correct??? Details fuzzy, comes with age
Fairly complex and nutty story, here's a link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/19/sp...y/19botta.html

Basically, Botta ran the team's PR for 15 years. He left and started a blog, which was financed by the team for a year (think Bish's Blog on another site). After the site went fully independent, he became critical of the team, so the Islanders yanked his credentials.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Like anything else, twitter and other social media are tools. Just as the telegraph was a tool, and the telephone, teletype and so on. I wonder if any 19th century journalists railed against the telegraph?

A good journalist uses whatever tool is available to do his or her job. The one thing social media has done is make that tool available to everyone, but what's wrong with that? Quality will still be the watchword. I read someone like Bob McKenzie because he's good at his job; I ignore bozos like hockeyyyinsiderrrr because he's a moron. The medium makes no difference.

If Dupont or any other "mainstream" journalists have trouble with bloggers, perhaps they should stop expecting their readers to pay attention to them because they're dishing up what's served to them by the NHL clubs they cover, and get out there and bust their tails, the way guys like Kirk or Bob Mand are doing. Tell me how the Bruins prospects are doing. What's going on with Providence? Tell me what guys like Danny Paille are up to. How is Dougie Hamilton dealing with the lockout?

If Dupont wants to write interesting stuff about the Bruins, I'll read it. If he wants to rant about bloggers, sneer at fans, and dump on Bruins players, as he's done for the past few years, I'll pass.
Good post with good examples...you and Seattle may have broached the core problem but I do empathize with him possibly being somewhat intimidated and annoyed by (A) the new technology and (B) the influx of mediocrity it brings into vogue.

That's not to say that someone han't become complacent either, (which seems to be the thrust of many arguments here), and I don't want to generalize an entire generation but maybe reasserting one's name among the younger crowd can be a tough task given that newer generations usually are looking at older, established names with contempt as not being "with it", (granted this is more prevalent in the entertainment industries than it is in sports).

Personally, on a work basis, I now have to consider using what little spare time I have towards twittering and facebooking so as to sell myself and my work. I'd rather keep my personal down-time as down-time and private. Using it as a tool just seems so innocuous and trivial to me. I mean selling yourself on the social media is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Call me a troglodyte, I don't care....while I check the internet for quick scores, immediate facts or weather or whatnot, (HFB is the only site I spend any real appreciable time on, sad, eh?) I prefer paper and print for pleasure. Put me on the beach with a book, magazine or newspaper and a lemonade and I'm happy. Don't want a tablet, don't want a kindle, don't want to twitter about my tan, don't want to get a tweet that Chara ate pirogues in Kiev this morning, don't need 15 minute updates on the NHL/NHLPA talks on my iPhone....enough is enough, eh?

Sorry, rant over....just my own encroaching curmudgeons getting the better of me.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Good post with good examples...you and Seattle may have broached the core problem but I do empathize with him possibly being somewhat intimidated and annoyed by (A) the new technology and (B) the influx of mediocrity it brings into vogue.

That's not to say that someone han't become complacent either, (which seems to be the thrust of many arguments here), and I don't want to generalize an entire generation but maybe reasserting one's name among the younger crowd can be a tough task given that newer generations usually are looking at older, established names with contempt as not being "with it", (granted this is more prevalent in the entertainment industries than it is in sports).

Personally, on a work basis, I now have to consider using what little spare time I have towards twittering and facebooking so as to sell myself and my work. I'd rather keep my personal down-time as down-time and private. Using it as a tool just seems so innocuous and trivial to me. I mean selling yourself on the social media is an oxymoron, isn't it?

Call me a troglodyte, I don't care....while I check the internet for quick scores, immediate facts or weather or whatnot, (HFB is the only site I spend any real appreciable time on, sad, eh?) I prefer paper and print for pleasure. Put me on the beach with a book, magazine or newspaper and a lemonade and I'm happy. Don't want a tablet, don't want a kindle, don't want to twitter about my tan, don't want to get a tweet that Chara ate pirogues in Kiev this morning, don't need 15 minute updates on the NHL/NHLPA talks on my iPhone....enough is enough, eh?

Sorry, rant over....just my own encroaching curmudgeons getting the better of me.
No problem, but nobody's forcing you to carry a kindle or to follow anyone on twitter. Like that loud music that kids play these days, if you don't like it, turn it off.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
To tie this back in to my own ADD Generation, the school operated in a near anonymity in New England (except among Patriot Leaguers) until the basketball team beat Duke.

I bet their applications skyrocket this year - an unfortunate indicator that athletics programs do more for a school's image than millions of dollars in research.
Which of course could be fuel for the "pay for college athletes" or the "where are our priorities?" arguments....for another thread, eh?