HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Measuring coaching performance?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
  #1
PSGJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Measuring coaching performance?

I wonder if any efforts have been done to evaluate coaches through advanced stats. It seems to me there is a huge problem in isolating the performance of the coach from the performance of the players. Win/loss record and number of titles aren't really good measurements in my opinion.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  #2
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,332
vCash: 500
The place to start would be with Tippet's impact on goaltender performance.

But this has probably not been done, since many advanced stats people stubbornly refuse to admit that shot quality exists.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:07 PM
  #3
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 40,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
The place to start would be with Tippet's impact on goaltender performance.

But this has probably not been done, since many advanced stats people stubbornly refuse to admit that shot quality exists.
I have actually seen a study done on the impact of Pat Burns on goaltender performance, so there is some recognition out there.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:09 PM
  #4
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I have actually seen a study done on the impact of Pat Burns on goaltender performance, so there is some recognition out there.
That's another good place to start.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  #5
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
The place to start would be with Tippet's impact on goaltender performance.

But this has probably not been done, since many advanced stats people stubbornly refuse to admit that shot quality exists.
That's been done.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/8/11/the-dave-tippett-effect

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
  #6
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
It is probably very hard to do, you cannot take short time coach changes result into account because of the new coach effect by itself.

And long term coaching stats for a same team with different coach cannot exist by definition.

Probably very hard to isolate the coach factor in a team and it is probably very very minor. I have no cup with a coach should have be nominated for the Conn Smythe in mind
.

And Guy Carbonneau finished first in the east with a mediocre Canadians team and cannot found a job in the nhl because he was a pretty normal to bad coach you got lucky and had a complete season with no injury.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
  #7
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
It is probably very hard to do, you cannot take short time coach changes result into account because of the new coach effect by itself.

And long term coaching stats for a same team with different coach cannot exist by definition.

Probably very hard to isolate the coach factor in a team and it is probably very very minor. I have no cup with a coach should have be nominated for the Conn Smythe in mind.

And Guy Carbonneau finished first in the east with a mediocre Canadians team and cannot found a job in the nhl because he was a pretty normal to bad coach you got lucky and had a complete season with no injury.
1995 Devils.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
  #8
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
1995 Devils.
Good one. No Jacque Lemaire no cup for the Devils that year ?

But that is a big statement that the coaching advantage was the biggest factor in that cup win, when you play againt's Scotty Bowman.

I could search for it, but some study (no sure how good they were) showed that school teacher and team coach have very little to no effect in success, versus student and player talents.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
  #9
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
Good one. No Jacque Lemaire no cup for the Devils that year ?

But that is a big statement that the coaching advantage was the biggest factor in that cup win, when you play againt's Scotty Bowman.

I could search for it, but some study (no sure how good they were) showed that school teacher and team coach have very little to no effect in success, versus student and player talents.
To some extent. Let Canadian national team (Olympic) play without coach and they still win almost everything on pure talent advantage. Any Scott Bowman or Lemaire wouldn't make them much more better, in fact they could even hurt particular players by their system. Does it work with bunch of 2nd or 3rd tier players? Hell, no! Good coach make them much more better than no coach. Recent example is Slovak national team. Terrible results with weak coaches like Glen Hanlon and immediate success with Vujtek and his system. And everyone would swear that Vujtek has weaker players on the paper compared to past.

EDIT: Recent Devils trilogy came into my mind too. Same team, worse in first half of the season (MacLean), best in second half (Lemaire) and SC finalist next year (DeBoer). There is a good reason to say MacLean is bad coach. Harder question is..are Lemaire and DeBoer such great coaches or any average coach would lead them to the same (or similar) results.

EDIT2: Canada - Czech semifinal in Nagano. Good example of outcoaching.


Last edited by begbeee: 10-04-2012 at 01:15 PM.
begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:39 PM
  #10
MadLuke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
EDIT: Recent Devils trilogy came into my mind too. Same team, worse in first half of the season (MacLean), best in second half (Lemaire) and SC finalist next year (DeBoer). There is a good reason to say MacLean is bad coach. Harder question is..are Lemaire and DeBoer such great coaches or any average coach would lead them to the same (or similar) results.
How much Kowalchuck is responsable of that vs Lemaire (and Parize return ?)

I will agree that bad coaching can make a team going down no doubt, but how much outcoaching can you have for an edge vs other professional coached team.

IT will be very hard to have the coaching factor with good sample size, would like to see study about coach influence, but they are probably hard to do.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
  #11
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Interesting, thanks.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
  #12
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.
 
The Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Centre Ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
How much Kowalchuck is responsable of that vs Lemaire (and Parize return ?)

I will agree that bad coaching can make a team going down no doubt, but how much outcoaching can you have for an edge vs other professional coached team.

IT will be very hard to have the coaching factor with good sample size, would like to see study about coach influence, but they are probably hard to do.
A coaches influence and perhaps most importantly, contribution to a team, often happens outside of 'the game'. It happens in practice and in the real world interactions with the players. It's nearly impossible to quantify those types of relationships in a study, but you do hear stories of the great leaders in every sport who could bring together players to become a better team.

When we hear of strategically 'outcoaching' in sports (hockey), it's more often that the grass is greener on the other side than not.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
  #13
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker
 
Iain Fyffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
The place to start would be with Tippet's impact on goaltender performance.

But this has probably not been done, since many advanced stats people stubbornly refuse to admit that shot quality exists.
Try again. The "advanced stats people" were the first to try to quantify the effect of shot quality systematically. Many of them now believe that the effect of shot quality on save percentage is relatively small and only has a significant effect in extreme cases. This conclusion is based on the data.

Which is a far cry, of course, from stubbornly refusing to admit it exists. It's also a more nuanced, less inflammatory description of the situation.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
  #14
PSGJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Here's an idea. Calculate expected performance for all the players who have played for a coach. Do this by looking at their careers before and after. Then look at how many under performed and over performed with the coach in question. Basically do the Mike Smith thing, but with all the players. Now, obviously for any given player there is a lot of chance involved, but with enough players it should regress towards the mean.

The problem with this is of course that a massive amount of calculations have to be made, but I could see it done in a professional setting. For instance an NHL team doing due diligence before hiring.

There's also a problem in how you count expected performance of course, but it seems to me that could be worked out.

PSGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.