HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
But Jig, we've seen this movie before. If DB has the option of an inexperienced youngster with offensive upside or a two-way AHL veteran, he's going with the latter option every time unless he's completely blown away. I think that's what most people here are getting at.

ET's higher than KV on the depth chart and would ostensibly fill a similar role. Does anybody honestly think Bylsma would ice a team where both Veilleux and Tangradi are playing bottom 6 roles? I have a hard time imagining it.

Like wej said, Ferriero, Dupuis, et al seem to be more likely options for DB, no matter what our fanbase thinks.
Ya you guys are probably right and I know DB is having wet dreams of icing a thuper duper line...

Just trying to make the point not to write KV off just yet, but I get why people don't pay him any mind now.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:48 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Like wej said, Ferriero, Dupuis, et al seem to be more likely options for DB, no matter what our fanbase thinks.
I hope it doesn't backfire again.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

So how is this preseason game going?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:19 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
But Jig, we've seen this movie before. If DB has the option of an inexperienced youngster with offensive upside or a two-way AHL veteran, he's going with the latter option every time unless he's completely blown away. I think that's what most people here are getting at.

ET's higher than KV on the depth chart and would ostensibly fill a similar role. Does anybody honestly think Bylsma would ice a team where both Veilleux and Tangradi are playing bottom 6 roles? I have a hard time imagining it.

This.

I like KV's potential just as much as the next guy, but he's just not going to be on the big club next season unless a change in philosophy happens, KV lights it up, and he finds a way to stay healthy.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
So how is this preseason game going?
Apparently they won 4 to 3.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:29 PM
steelcityassault

Quote:
You're right about Bylsma, but I've read that he is changing that part of him after the Philly series.. Really coveting size on the wings now. Aka Tangradi, Veilleux

Old
10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/pengu...on-opener-103/

Old
10-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Sivek

Matt Murray stopped 39 of 44 shots in a 6-5 victory against Saginaw.

Pretty much every team in the OHL has played 4 or 5 games so far and Murray has faced 42 shots more than the next closest guy. That makes his .910 save% look pretty damn impressive in context. By all accounts he seems to be playing really well this year and SSM is off to a 4-1-0 start after not having a ton of expectations entering the season.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:21 PM
steelcityassault

WB/S head coach John Hynes:

“Keven (Veilleux)’s really become a 200-foot player. If you watch him play now, he might be the first guy in on the forecheck and he’s physical and he creates a turnover. Or he might be the first guy back in the defensive zone. His intensity level and his work ethic have really taken a step, and that’s why he’s had more success.”

“That’s part of what we try to do here in this league, help potential talent find how they can play at the next level. What’s my calling? I think he’s starting to see it and feel it. He’s showing he has not only the potential but the work ethic and physical prowess to possibly play in the National Hockey League.”

Old
10-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya you guys are probably right and I know DB is having wet dreams of icing a thuper duper line...

Just trying to make the point not to write KV off just yet, but I get why people don't pay him any mind now.
For sure. Veilleux's size and skillset make him hard to write off completely, even with all the setbacks. Hopefully he can stay healthy and start making good on his promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I hope it doesn't backfire again.
I think DB's forward choices are well down the list of reasons why we haven't had success when it mattered lately, but that's a subject for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityassault View Post
You're right about Bylsma, but I've read that he is changing that part of him after the Philly series.. Really coveting size on the wings now. Aka Tangradi, Veilleux
Could be. I have my doubts about him going whole hog and throwing the two big youngsters on the roster together any time soon, but I guess we'll see. I'd like nothing more than to see Veilleux start like a bat out of hell and force DB's hand.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
For sure. Veilleux's size and skillset make him hard to write off completely, even with all the setbacks. Hopefully he can stay healthy and start making good on his promise.

I think DB's forward choices are well down the list of reasons why we haven't had success when it mattered lately, but that's a subject for another thread.

Could be. I have my doubts about him going whole hog and throwing the two big youngsters on the roster together any time soon, but I guess we'll see. I'd like nothing more than to see Veilleux start like a bat out of hell and force DB's hand.
I really think Shero is going to have his hand in the roster a bit more than he has done before. I expect Tangradi to be given every chance to take a good spot if there is any sort of camp this year.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:32 AM
JTG

Quote:

“Keven (Veilleux)’s really become a 200-foot player. If you watch him play now, he might be the first guy in on the forecheck and he’s physical and he creates a turnover. Or he might be the first guy back in the defensive zone. His intensity level and his work ethic have really taken a step, and that’s why he’s had more success.”

“That’s part of what we try to do here in this league, help potential talent find how they can play at the next level. What’s my calling? I think he’s starting to see it and feel it. He’s showing he has not only the potential but the work ethic and physical prowess to possibly play in the National Hockey League.”
And he did that last year playing 0 games? You cannot ignore that the guy's development has been severely hindered since turning pro (and even before turning pro because he was always hurt then too).

If you cannot stay healthy in Jr or the minors, one could reasonably conclude that when he's playing against some of the most well conditioned athletes in the world...that won't fair too well for him.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:51 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
And he did that last year playing 0 games? You cannot ignore that the guy's development has been severely hindered since turning pro (and even before turning pro because he was always hurt then too).

If you cannot stay healthy in Jr or the minors, one could reasonably conclude that when he's playing against some of the most well conditioned athletes in the world...that won't fair too well for him.
I think this is a make it or break it year for him in this organization. He has the size and the skill set but if he can't stay healthy then I don't think the Pens will continue to sign him. His development is behind the curve now so he can't afford to miss another year.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:04 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I think this is a make it or break it year for him in this organization. He has the size and the skill set but if he can't stay healthy then I don't think the Pens will continue to sign him. His development is behind the curve now so he can't afford to miss another year.
Right. In Jr. he was there for 4 seasons, and played maybe 2 seasons worth of hockey. In the pro, he's been here for 3 seasons, and has played 1 seasons worth. So where a guy who has played hockey would be 7 seasons removed from being drafted, and have 7 years of development...Veilleux has 3. That's why when someone speaks of how much he's developed I sort of roll my eyes a bit. Sure he's changed his game a bit, and may has got a little better, but fact remains, he's still WAY behind the curve.

And I don't want people to take this as me being against Veilleux, or thinking he's not a good hockey player. If anyone were to read the prospect rankings like 5 years ago, I was snuggled tightly in Veilleux's jock. I thought he would be a great hockey player, but even back then, he had to find a way to stay healthy. Now 6 years removed from being drafted, same concerns about health. It's a very tired song and dance, and every year we go into the season asking ourselves, "is this the year KV stays healthy and reaches his potential?" 6 years we've been wrong...I'm just not going to say that for the 7th year.

Does the kid have unreal skill? Absolutely. I said in his first prospect camp that he was the most naturally skilled guy there...his hands back then, IMO, were at the very least AHL level, and very well could pass in the NHL. His skating needed work, he needed to bulk up, and he had to play a little tougher. From the times I've seen him...his skating needs work, he could still bulk up, but he has brought that toughness factor to his game. Now the question becomes, can he play that way AND stay out of the infirmary?

People are pimping him as a winger, and I'm really not so sure about that. I don't personally like how the kid stops and starts, and I believe, he would make a better center. I can just see defensemen burying him on the wall.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I really think Shero is going to have his hand in the roster a bit more than he has done before. I expect Tangradi to be given every chance to take a good spot if there is any sort of camp this year.
Whether that's Shero's work or not would be up for debate though. Tangradi's been on the cusp for a while.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Like that the more unheralded rookies like Megna and Payerl made good impressions.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:15 AM
redsono93

Any undrafted players we could invite if we have a training camp? I would love for us to find a Matt Read or a Martin St.Louis

Old
10-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Matt Murray stopped 39 of 44 shots in a 6-5 victory against Saginaw.

Pretty much every team in the OHL has played 4 or 5 games so far and Murray has faced 42 shots more than the next closest guy. That makes his .910 save% look pretty damn impressive in context. By all accounts he seems to be playing really well this year and SSM is off to a 4-1-0 start after not having a ton of expectations entering the season.
He has been receiving 40+ shots per game so far, he said he was a goalie that wanted to face a lot of shots so I guess he is happy cause he will certainly be facing tons this year in seems

Old
10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Like that the more unheralded rookies like Megna and Payerl made good impressions.
Seems like Megna is really making an impression. Bombulie keeps mentioning him a lot.

Quote:

Is that a recent quote? I feel like I heard something like this a while ago.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Couple quick observations from last nights game:

I can see why people knocked Bennetts skating, he definitely has a way to go in a few aspects of his game. He had one pretty prime opportunity in the slot on a one timer, and made good contract but hit the goalie right in the chest. He had another chance on a one timer that was in his feet and he ended up falling over trying to control it. Its tough to be too critical with him as I believe it was his first pro game. He had done bright spots in the game as well which I suppose is good enough.

Kuhn is another guy whose skating needs work. He looked flat out awkward on his skates in a few situations. He did have some pretty good passes though. One on a 2 on 1 and one that led to the second goal.

Samuelsson was just plain awful with the puck. He is a decent skater and was physically up to the task tho.

Morrow and Doumolin both made a few minor mistakes right off the bat, but both also made some great plays, and you could see both gain confidence with the puck as the game went on.

Gibbons, Thompson, Megna, and Payerl I felt were our best forwards in the game. Gibbons had 3 or 4 odd man breaks and made one really good forecheck on one of their D which led to a mini breakaway for himself.

Uher has the tenacity but needs to add size. He was quick on pucks on the forecheck but was physically ineffective against everyone.

The 2 guys I hadn't heard of until this past week (Neal and Zev...something) played pretty well, and are both big physical guys who were actually decent with the puck.

Overall I'd say that was an impressive win considering the Amerks had a decent amount of NHL experience in the game (Foligno, Adam, Hodgson, Tropp, Finley and Brennen) compared to Wbs fairly green lineup.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Whether that's Shero's work or not would be up for debate though. Tangradi's been on the cusp for a while.
well right, that's just an example. I think Shero is likely pissed off about how these last three years have ended just like we are.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitziwa View Post
Couple quick observations from last nights game
Sweet, thanks for the thoughts!

Old
10-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitziwa View Post
Couple quick observations from last nights game:

I can see why people knocked Bennetts skating, he definitely has a way to go in a few aspects of his game. He had one pretty prime opportunity in the slot on a one timer, and made good contract but hit the goalie right in the chest. He had another chance on a one timer that was in his feet and he ended up falling over trying to control it. Its tough to be too critical with him as I believe it was his first pro game. He had done bright spots in the game as well which I suppose is good enough.

Kuhn is another guy whose skating needs work. He looked flat out awkward on his skates in a few situations. He did have some pretty good passes though. One on a 2 on 1 and one that led to the second goal..
This is why for the last couple of years, I have been warning about getting too hyped up over these two guys. Their skating is an issue that worries me and we have to see how they do in the A, but that won't tell us much TBTH.

I remember how dominant Kraft was in the A... His skating didn't hold him back, then he got to the NHL and hisk skating was so bad, that all he could do was that lame ass drag and curl move, then shoot from 25 feet away.... That's literally all his skating allowed him to do at the NHL level.

Old
10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Kunitziwa

Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Another thing about Beau, he seemed a little smaller than I expected him to be, but I may have invested a bit too much into everything I read about him adding mass. I'm sure he still has more growing to do,nd he's apparently shown the commitment to working out so I'm probably just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Pens website had a good article about Harrington and Maatta.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Closed Thread