HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
rantfather

vCash: 500
POINTS Taken Gleaner Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
But if you hold him "accountable" for the hockey team then you must also give him some credit for the men's and women's basketball programs being third in the country at the CCAA level; for the ACAA women's rugby championship and their corresponding move to the AUS; for the influx in talent in the women's hockey program and the successful bid to host CIS; for the first class facility that will house the hockey teams -- he was in daily consultation with architects and/or city officials -- for the establishment of rowing and wrestling programs at the university; for the fact that the school had 15 athletes named national scholars...we'd all like to see a more competitive men's hockey team and I think, given time, Troy Ryan will do that. But Eagles is the "athletic" director, not exclusively the men's hockey director. If you look beyond the hockey team -- which will compete hard this year and may contend -- he hasn't done a bad job.
Those successful programs that you mention ALL had excellant leadership and I do know that STU enjoys more sports outlets for students than the campus south of us BUT Eagles WAS the Mens bockey director as coach and has had an overall failing record and it is about THAT I RANT.

Troy Ryan has and will continue to grow the program but is being handicapped by the decisions of the current A/D and a $50,000 budget hit won't.help.

You and I will have to agree to.disagree as to the definition of "done a bad job"

Last edited by rantfather: 10-03-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammer
Old
10-03-2012, 07:44 AM
gleanerguy

Not about to go in circles on this. Will concede he failed as a hockey coach due to inability to recruit. As AD, the excellent leadership you talk about from his coaches: he had a role in hiring the coaches. Darren Cann, men's soccer, is a fine coach. Macky Singh, fine coach. Scott Davis. fine coach. Troy Ryan, as you've said yourself, is a fine coach. And so on. He's broadened the athletic experience at STU. Men's and women's soccer and men's and women's hockey have sparkling new facilities.
He goes to everything'
No, the flagship program is not where everyone wants it to be. But I wonder if you were this venemous to Bob Mabie and Roly McSorley and AD LeRoy Washburn in the late 1970s when the STU program struggled? Al MacAdam is not coming back, my friend.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Rob

Did they go through a worse stretch in the 70s?

Old
10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Polaris500*

I understand that womens hockey is "just as important" as mens.
I hate to open up this can of worms, but what if STU was putting the money they are spending to host the women's nationals, etc into there mens team?
I don't think it is any secret that mens hockey and football are the most expensive sports to operate , I feel if they put some of the money from the women's team into recruiting etc it could make quite a difference.
Not to say that they should cut the women's team but I really think they should cut some funding, of course then they would have feminists all over there... well you get the point.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris500 View Post
I understand that womens hockey is "just as important" as mens.
I hate to open up this can of worms, but what if STU was putting the money they are spending to host the women's nationals, etc into there mens team?
I don't think it is any secret that mens hockey and football are the most expensive sports to operate , I feel if they put some of the money from the women's team into recruiting etc it could make quite a difference.
Not to say that they should cut the women's team but I really think they should cut some funding, of course then they would have feminists all over there... well you get the point.
Don't rob Paulette to pay Peter, if you catch my drift. St-FX has a very successful women's and men's team. X hosted nationals for 2 years straight a couple of years back. It's can be done if there is will to do it. The political correctness of the situation shouldn't matter because the truth is the men's game costs more and has to be funded in a similar manner to the other men's programs if you have any hope of being successful. Don't compare them against each other, compare them to the same gender teams at different AUS universities.

Spend all the money you can on the women, they deserve it but please don't take it from the men and then fail to understand how come they can't compete against the other men's teams.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
WilcoxHound

Am I wrong in seeing the theme of this conversation as being about growing the AUS game as capitalist venture where the schools must be willing to invest education dollars in athletic teams in order to maintain a level playing field for competition.

This won't happen in Ontario where provincial educational institution rules won't allow the creation of a professional sports under the auspices of the OUA.

Is this really where the CIS wants to go? Down the road will the money issue force the OUA out of CIS hockey?

Old
10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Am I wrong in seeing the theme of this conversation as being about growing the AUS game as capitalist venture where the schools must be willing to invest education dollars in athletic teams in order to maintain a level playing field for competition.

This won't happen in Ontario where provincial educational institution rules won't allow the creation of a professional sports under the auspices of the OUA.

Is this really where the CIS wants to go? Down the road will the money issue force the OUA out of CIS hockey?
No. It is about teams in AUS men's hockey budgeting or fundraising enough money so that they can try to come close to maxing out their AFA cap (i.e. scholarships for the student-athletes) as they compete for recruits. We don't really know where the teams are with this, since the CIS only releases the combined AFA "payout" for all male or female sports combined.

And, it is about the values-adds that teams find the money or volunteer resources for. Full-time associate coaches. Game-video software. Nice dressing rooms. Athletic and massage therapists. New skates and sticks. Team-building exhibition road-trips. Out of conference road trips. Sports psychologists. Etc.

When you get down to it, it is not that different than what happens with producing top-level CIS football programs, and the OUA has no qualms about that.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
BUT Eagles WAS the Mens bockey director as coach and has had an overall failing record and it is about THAT I RANT.
Exactly, past tense. And no one really cares because he stopped coaching a year and a half ago. Just let it go and cheer for the Tommies like you do. The Tommies don't need to look at their past, need to look at the future. Maybe you should too.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
cishockeyfan

Am I the only person who would love to see the offcial STU tommies logo back on their Jerseys (The One Nicely attached to the side of the Grant Harvey Center, its a great Jersey Logo, can picture of Tommies of yesteryear with those Black Road (Dallas Stars) style Jerseys with that Logo looked great, looked good on the home Whites too. Ive never been a fan of the Giant T on their newer whites of the past couple of seasons

Old
10-08-2012, 02:42 PM
gleanerguy

The "T" is their logo...the T ring and T pin are traditions they're trying to establish at the university in the same way that the X ring carries such prestige in the university and academic and alumni communities. I like it better than the other one personally.

Old
10-10-2012, 01:25 PM
rantfather

STU Tommies LOGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Am I the only person who would love to see the offcial STU tommies logo back on their Jerseys (The One Nicely attached to the side of the Grant Harvey Center, its a great Jersey Logo, can picture of Tommies of yesteryear with those Black Road (Dallas Stars) style Jerseys with that Logo looked great, looked good on the home Whites too. Ive never been a fan of the Giant T on their newer whites of the past couple of seasons
No,you are NOT the only one who prefers the STU-Tommies LOGO to the large” T".and starting a "T" club in the face of an already existing Friends of STU organization was unneccesary and is just a bad attempt to copy the club at "X".

I would have thought that a polling of alumnae would have been a nice touch but that communication NEVER took place.

Old
10-11-2012, 04:45 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
You been spyin' on Ryan?

http://instagram.com/p/QqCzKEspCt/

Old
10-11-2012, 09:05 PM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
You been spyin' on Ryan?

http://instagram.com/p/QqCzKEspCt/
Now that is a fantastik College Hockey Jersey I like it alot.

Old
10-11-2012, 09:56 PM
gleanerguy

The X-Ring is said to be, after Super Bowl and Papal rings, the third most recognized ring in the world. It’s a permanent reminder of the StFX experience and its lasting solidarity. As StFX president Dr. Sean Riley says every year in his convocation address, “If you fall, a fellow Xaverian is there to pick you up.”

Not a bad tradition to try to emulate, I would say. Will take some time to establish the T ring and the T logo to that degree, but personally, I like the attempt. I respectfully defer to STU alum though.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:20 AM
cishockeyfan

I agree about the tradition and recognition of the "X Ring" but that would never happen to any degree with the letter T too common of a Letter. X Stands Out cause its simply a barely used Letter. I can't name a city or school or team name in sports that starts with X asides from the Xmen. it be like Moncton changing their main logo to an M theirs how many schools in the US already using an M? St Thomas is best known as STU

Their new road jerseys are sharp

Old
10-12-2012, 07:20 AM
gleanerguy

It's all about branding and recognition. It's already happening. I know STU grads who proudly wear their rings, and the green T with the gold outline is already recognizable on the ring. It's relatively recent, but as alumni spread, so does the tradition. Then you tie the T on the ring to the logo. As teams win and go to nationals wearing the T -- not necessarily the men's hockey team, but the men's and women's basketball and volleyball teams -- they become identified with the T. You can debate the merits of how good it looks or whatever -- and I agree, the new threads look very sharp -- but it's about establishing a brand. And when you talk about M being too common a letter -- what's the McDonald's logo again?

Old
10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Island Husky

This is an interesting discussion, and very popular today in the "marketing" world of everything, St Mary's brought in branding a number of years ago; it is something that will apply to the entire university as Gleanerguy attests. For the record, St Mary's has had that M with the Husky forever, and whereas I think it is instantly recognizable, I believe the T would go even further. I must say whenever I see anything St Thomas, and there are many schools, churches, etc of that name throughout North America, I always look to see the green and gold. And I might add, I think the maintenance of the colours is equally important. I mean on PEI, the UPEI colors are Green, White, and Rust. ( for obvious reasons, if any of you have attempted to clean your vehicles after visiting here) but since the early nineties, they have been deferring to black. Yet for years people wore UPEI clothing from the bookstore, and mostly green, now I rarely see it. My point is, people will go to your games regardless of the jersey you are wearing, but team's seem to think it is so important.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:23 AM
STUTOMMIES

Coach Ryan was not happy with the effort the guys put in last night and felt they were all over the place. I thought they looked better than last year for sure but the coach makes a point. You can't play UNB and not stick to the system and minimize any and all mistakes.

Ryan is faced with the daunting task of pushing his players as far as possible (however far that is) without it being too far because he has nothing in reserve. No option of inserting Salatiro for Bryce Swan or sitting Ben Wright and inserting option B into the line-up.

With all the above said, they are noticeably better, IMO. The top two defense pairings were able to get the puck out to the neutral zone regularly, last year they could not. It may not sound like a big deal but over the course of a whole season if you are playing on the other side of your blueline for 3 minutes a game the teams GAA will come down for sure.

Groenheyde looked really good in the STU net. 4 of the 5 goals he had no chance at all and were pretty plays by a skilled UNB team. Granted some credit has to be given to the STU skaters for turnovers/misplays.

All and all, there is hope.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:48 AM
rantfather

Battle of the hill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Coach Ryan was not happy with the effort the guys put in last night and felt they were all over the place. I thought they looked better than last year for sure but the coach makes a point. You can't play UNB and not stick to the system and minimize any and all mistakes.

Ryan is faced with the daunting task of pushing his players as far as possible (however far that is) without it being too far because he has nothing in reserve. No option of inserting Salatiro for Bryce Swan or sitting Ben Wright and inserting option B into the line-up.

With all the above said, they are noticeably better, IMO. The top two defense pairings were able to get the puck out to the neutral zone regularly, last year they could not. It may not sound like a big deal but over the course of a whole season if you are playing on the other side of your blueline for 3 minutes a game the teams GAA will come down for sure.

Groenheyde looked really good in the STU net. 4 of the 5 goals he had no chance at all and were pretty plays by a skilled UNB team. Granted some credit has to be given to the STU skaters for turnovers/misplays.

All and all, there is hope.

I was a thousand miles away from the action but it sounds like STU stayed with the Red Devils for two periods but did not exactly play as wishes by coach Ryan.......so that is good news in that IMPROVEMENT is possible.
I believe that the Tommies will.be able to play with EVERYONE in the league which makes for an exciting season.

Acadia out shot X badly and lost,my early predictions about standings are still beld bh me ans expect to see a log jam from 4 th place to 8 the ans some great hockey, a capacity crowd at the Aiken Centre must have been electric.

Go TOMMIES Go

Old
10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Rob

Like I said in another thread I give them an A+ for shot blocking last night. Sanza especially.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:50 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
I was a thousand miles away from the action but it sounds like STU stayed with the Red Devils for two periods but did not exactly play as wishes by coach Ryan.......so that is good news in that IMPROVEMENT is possible.
I believe that the Tommies will.be able to play with EVERYONE in the league which makes for an exciting season.

Acadia out shot X badly and lost,my early predictions about standings are still beld bh me ans expect to see a log jam from 4 th place to 8 the ans some great hockey, a capacity crowd at the Aiken Centre must have been electric.

Go TOMMIES Go
I hope that there's improvement, seems to be the same song as last year. It's early, but I wish Troy the best of luck turning this ship around!

Old
10-13-2012, 04:18 PM
cishockeyfan

I thought St Thomas showed alot of improvement, at no time in the game did I feel they were a huge threat to do a bunch of damage to UNB on the scoreboard, but thought they played decent and they kept the score respectable, were maybe in past seasons frustration would have boiled over.

Thats been the biggest difference between Troy Ryan and Mike Eagles so far visualy on the Ice, STU has looked very disaplined with Coach Ryan, were with Eagles for years STU would just start taking cheap shots or bad penalties when they got down a couple of goals.

I will say the Tommies will go 9-15-4 this year

Old
10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
cishockeyfan

Also I think we all know Troy Ryans words about his team arent in fact how he really feels.

For him to say Im proud of the way the guys played we kept it close we blocked shots in a 5-2 loss feeds satisfactory that the guys played good enough. He just wants them to fight harder for more.

Eagles would have commented they played well if it was his team and got no more out of them next game

Old
10-20-2012, 07:06 AM
rantfather

Last evenings 7-1 loss!

And 50,000 cut in budget results in 5 less quality players and EVERY AUS team would suffer the same fate as the Tommies last.night.....great PK but too few snipers.
I hope that the growing pains will.be tolerated by the fan base remembering that an excellent building only does not a "successful program make ".

Take 5 players of quality from ANY program and similar results would occur as last night as Acadia has been steadily building each year.

The latest $$$$$ non allocations for Men,s hockey will slow the process at STU.

The AUS is a tough,tough competitive league requiring adjustments by all.

GO TOMMIES GO

Old
10-20-2012, 11:17 AM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
And 50,000 cut in budget results in 5 less quality players and EVERY AUS team would suffer the same fate as the Tommies last.night.....great PK but too few snipers.
I hope that the growing pains will.be tolerated by the fan base remembering that an excellent building only does not a "successful program make ".

Take 5 players of quality from ANY program and similar results would occur as last night as Acadia has been steadily building each year.

The latest $$$$$ non allocations for Men,s hockey will slow the process at STU.

The AUS is a tough,tough competitive league requiring adjustments by all.

GO TOMMIES GO
I figured the budget would be the reason it was a 7-1 loss. This is also the same team that skated stride for stride with UNB for 50 minutes at least and no one looked at the budget then. But look, the team is still rebuilding, this wasn't going to be an overnight turnaround no matter what any non-hockey person would say, and its going to take time. Patience is a virtue. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Closed Thread