HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nazem Kadri reports to camp in 'Unacceptable' shape

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 03:36 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Detroit has a history of producing players slowly. One that no other team can claim. Or more to the point, they have a history of wasting their 1st and 2nd round picks on depth players. Meanwhile, some obscure 5th rounder from 2006 is about to turn into a HoF'er starting next year.

When the Leafs can boast a record like that behind them... people will start believing that is what they're doing.

Giroux became an NHL'er early in his 3rd year. So did Schenn for that matter.

Carter and Richards started exactly in their 3rd years because of the lockout year.

Couturier started in his 1st year post draft, not 4th.

The middle of the 2nd/3rd year is most important for these teams because that's when ELC's stop sliding. The 3rd year on is when the team starts giving up ELC seasons and the major difference here is that Philly has been a contender while Toronto has been a bottom feeder. Philly hasn't really given up much of those. They gave up 1/2 of Giroux and a 1/3 of Schenn out of all of these players during their ELC contracts while the Flyers were contenders. The Leafs have already given up 3/4 of Kadri's 3rd year while they were bottom feeders and it's not they cleared a spot for him in his 4th season.

So yeah, unless you can prove that the Leafs are some Detroit-type, idiot savant kind of prospect developers... or your prospect is failing just as is it would on any other team that doesn't easily give up those 3 ELC's seasons.
i think the poster was actually talking about philly prospect logan couture, who did in fact take 3 years (4 to make an impact) after his draft to make the NHL. (of course he was drafted 9th overall by the sharks, after being predicted ~15th overall going into his draft. The fact is that as a march birthday, Logan Couture being actually a year behind kadri in terms of 3rd year development is probably irrelevant, completely irrelevant.)

10-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Detroit has a history of producing players slowly. One that no other team can claim[/B]. Or more to the point, they have a history of wasting their 1st and 2nd round picks on depth players. Meanwhile, some obscure 5th rounder from 2006 is about to turn into a HoF'er starting next year.

When the Leafs can boast a record like that behind them... people will start believing that is what they're doing.

Carter and Richards started exactly in their 3rd years because of the lockout year.

The middle of the 2nd/3rd year is most important for these teams because that's when ELC's stop sliding. The 3rd year on is when the team starts giving up ELC seasons and the major difference here is that Philly has been a contender while Toronto has been a bottom feeder. Philly hasn't really given up much of those. They gave up 1/2 of Giroux and a 1/3 of Schenn out of all of these players during their ELC contracts while the Flyers were contenders. The Leafs have already given up 3/4 of Kadri's 3rd year while they were bottom feeders and it's not they cleared a spot for him in his 4th season.

So yeah, unless you can prove that the Leafs are some Detroit-type, idiot savant kind of prospect developers... or your prospect is failing just as is it would on any other team that doesn't easily give up those 3 ELC's seasons.
Devils.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:48 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Nothing. They've got a Stanley Cup contending team every year and can afford to bring along kids slowly because their roster demands a higher standard of play and have quality players.
So iwhen you have a poor team you should rush your prospects? That's a solid way to ruin their development.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:59 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Question to Leaf fans: how long will it have to take for Kadri to be an official bust? Being a top 10 pick and heralded by a lot of Leaf fans to be a sure-fire top 6 player, it's looking more and more like he won't live up to promise.
A couple of years? Honestly, as long as he becomes a solid NHL'er (preferably a top 6 player), I couldn't care less how long it will take for him.

If he doesn't pan out, tough luck. He won't be the first or last to bust, not the end of the world.

Today's perception is that if you're a first round pick and don't make the big league within the first three (+-) years you're a bust. That didn't use to be the case in the past.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:15 AM
markisonfire
HFBoards Sponsor

He's in a bulking phase, guys.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:55 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Wow, this is delusional. Kadri can't make the NHL because he's not good enough not because Toronto is trying to over ripen him. With how desperate Toronto has been to make the playoffs they'll bring up anyone they think can help them win.
How is Toronto desperate to make the playoffs? They can miss 30 years running and they'll still make more money than any other NHL team.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:57 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Nope, what's delusional is trying to compare the Leafs to the Red Wings.
What's amusing is people making things up.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:12 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Detroit has a history of producing players slowly. One that no other team can claim. Or more to the point, they have a history of wasting their 1st and 2nd round picks on depth players. Meanwhile, some obscure 5th rounder from 2006 is about to turn into a HoF'er starting next year.

New Jersey? Philly? San Jose? Nashville? Many teams allow their prospects time to develop and don't have ADHD like HF Boards does.

I'm not sure why they should care what other fans "think"? It's kind of impossible to get there when you all seem to think they should rush them, no?

Quote:
If you're still spending significant time in a lower league, you aren't full time in my books. Interesting that Schenn has one more point in 13 more GP than Kadri and was selected higher than Kadri, yet here you are bragging him up.

Quote:

Prove it.

Quote:

Who said anything about Couturier?

Quote:

Unless you can prove to me how it is beneficial to rush prospects and continue a cycle, I don't know why I am listening?

Old
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i think the poster was actually talking about philly prospect logan couture, who did in fact take 3 years (4 to make an impact) after his draft to make the NHL. (of course he was drafted 9th overall by the sharks, after being predicted ~15th overall going into his draft. The fact is that as a march birthday, Logan Couture being actually a year behind kadri in terms of 3rd year development is probably irrelevant, completely irrelevant.)
The poster was talking about the player Vedder mentioned. The poster did so somewhat mockingly, knowing Couture was never a Flyer. See the poster expects that given Vedder's hundreds of posts deriding the Leafs that most of his comments have little to do with objective assessment of the player and lots to do with the clothes on his back. Of course, you'll notice an alarming trend in any Leaf thread of which fanbases the posters come from.......

Old
10-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I think it's clear things are never going to work out for Kadri in Toronto. The Leafs should trade him.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Ginu

Habs will take him for a 3rd rounder.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Hopefully it's not a Wellwood phase.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Habs will take him for a 3rd rounder.
The leafs will take Galchenyuk off your hands for a 6th rounder.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Roberts: "This picture looks nothing like you."
Kadri: "Why thank you, because I have actually packed on about 15-20 pounds of solid bulk muscle since that picture was taken bro. It's actually a testament to your gym."

Old
10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I can't believe how many people confuse body fat % with actually being chubby/fat.

I guarantee my body fat % is higher or not notably less than most NHLers even though I way less than pretty much every player in the league but I'm probably skinnier than any player in the league (excluding RNH and Spurgeon maybe). Kadri's the same. Maybe it's in his genes and he'll never have a low %, has nothing to do with his hockey playing ability.

Players slower and less athletic than Kadri have put up ppg seasons in this league.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Liminality

A video was released today on the Leafs website that has Eakins talking about this whole Kadri thing and what he thinks about it.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...ed-share-video

Skip to 8:30 to see what he says about the Kadri situation.

Maybe everyone shouldn't jump to conclusions but that is really too much to ask in a place like this.

A quote from Eakins in the video " His weight is exactly where we want it and it's turned into he's grossly out of shape, I never said that "

Old
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Jeremyisgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Kadri's the same. Maybe it's in his genes and he'll never have a low %, has nothing to do with his hockey playing ability.
While low body fat percentage isn't going to make you better at hockey(to a point, obviously), there isn't anything in his "genes" preventing from having a low body fat percentage. It's his diet.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:00 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
How is Toronto desperate to make the playoffs? They can miss 30 years running and they'll still make more money than any other NHL team.
Sad but true.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyisgood View Post
While low body fat percentage isn't going to make you better at hockey(to a point, obviously), there isn't anything in his "genes" preventing from having a low body fat percentage. It's his diet.
100% WRONG. As I've stated earlier in this thread, fat distribution varies among races due to genetic background. In Kadri's case, being of South Asian descent, he is prone to a higher BF%, specifically in the abdomen.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:32 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyisgood View Post
That is 150% wrong, it varies from person to person, race to race, a lot of West Asia have men who are naturally strong and built but high body fat %. I swear every Syrian, Iraqi and Turkish people I know are not at all defined, and by some standards "chubby", but they are by far the strongest and in shape people i know. t

Old
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
ThundaLion
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Roberts: "This picture looks nothing like you."
Kadri: "Why thank you, because I have actually packed on about 15-20 pounds of solid bulk muscle since that picture was taken bro. It's actually a testament to your gym."
Well done sir.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Jeremyisgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanned View Post
100% WRONG. As I've stated earlier in this thread, fat distribution varies among races due to genetic background. In Kadri's case, being of South Asian descent, he is prone to a higher BF%, specifically in the abdomen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
That is 150% wrong, it varies from person to person, race to race, a lot of West Asia have men who are naturally strong and built but high body fat %. I swear every Syrian, Iraqi and Turkish people I know are not at all defined, and by some standards "chubby", but they are by far the strongest and in shape people i know. t
At no point did I equate higher body fat percentage to not being "in shape". Regardless of descent, an athletic person is able to achieve low body fat percentage through proper nutrition(and hard work). Just because those Turkish people you know aren't defined, doesn't mean that they couldn't be.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
"I don't foresee him wanting to re-sign. If he doesn't get his career going with the Toronto Maple Leafs, he will not re-sign. This will be his last year one way or another if he does not solidify himself as a regular," Kypreos says. "I know there's teams interested, and there's been teams that have taken a run at Kadri for a trade. But Brain Burke wasn't prepared to let him go last year. And one of those teams was the Washington Capitals."
Source

Now you got me interested.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:43 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Devils.
The Devils gave Parise, Zajac and Tedenby their first full seasons in their 3rd year. They just played Adam Larsson in his 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
So iwhen you have a poor team you should rush your prospects? That's a solid way to ruin their development.
Most teams have their 1st round drafted forwards in the NHL in their 2nd and 3rd years post draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Leaf fan0o View Post
Today's perception is that if you're a first round pick and don't make the big league within the first three (+-) years you're a bust. That didn't use to be the case in the past.
When haven't teams had high expectations of their 1st rounders making the team within 3 years?

Quote:
New Jersey? Philly? San Jose? Nashville? Many teams allow their prospects time to develop and don't have ADHD like HF Boards does.
I already busted Philly and New Jersey. Their successful 1st round picks are typically in the NHL full at least by their 3rd year.

Nashville played Suter, Radulov and C.Wilson in their first full seasons in their 3rd year.

San Jose played Vlasic full time in his 2nd year (as a 19yo) Michalek full time in his 3rd year. But only gave gave Couture and Setoguchi half seasons in the NHL in their 3rd years before making it full time in their 4th.

Quote:
I'm not sure why they should care what other fans "think"? It's kind of impossible to get there when you all seem to think they should rush them, no?
What I think is based on what other teams do. The majority of other teams have their successful 1st rounders in the NHL by now.

Quote:
If you're still spending significant time in a lower league, you aren't full time in my books. Interesting that Schenn has one more point in 13 more GP than Kadri and was selected higher than Kadri, yet here you are bragging him up.
Schenn played 7 games in the minors. Is two weeks out of six months significant?
He played 54 games in the NHL and looks to have spent another 20 on the NHL IR.

Saying that he made the NHL team is bragging him up?

Quote:
Unless you can prove to me how it is beneficial to rush prospects and continue a cycle, I don't know why I am listening?
It's beneficial for teams to have NHL ready talent to fill roster spots while their on their ELC's.
It seems to be expected, based on how the majority of teams who promote their successful 1st rounders, that most 1st round picks are expected to make the NHL by their 3rd year post draft.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Can this guy just take a selfie with a camera phone and call it a career?

Closed Thread