Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Kloparren
Hth

vCash: 500
Kerr in his agreement before buying the team should've made it on the condition that he gets a huge advertising billboard in downtown and gets to run a shuttle bus to the arena around game time.

Old
09-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Kerr in his agreement before buying the team should've made it on the condition that he gets a huge advertising billboard in downtown and gets to run a shuttle bus to the arena around game time.
Mississauga has a downtown?!? Who knew! LOL

Old
09-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

It's not that the front end isn't hard working because they are and that is what is helping right now. Although being first to the puck is great, once you get there, you need to be able to do something with it. He needs to find a front end leader and I don't think Brace is that guy.

Anybody notice that there are 8 93's on this team. Percy, DeMelo, Teichmann, Diodati, Kontos, Rasmussen, Harvey and Foy. What is Boyd going to do next year when he can only have 3? He's going to have to do something this year to set himself up for next?
when the nhl kicks back up next year percy and demelo in ahl, there goes 2. i cant see them keeping teichmann so he might go to school or onto another team. that leaves 5 guys. id keep diodati and kontos as they are the most capable and have the other 3 battle in camp for the last spot or maybe trade some for late round picks.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:43 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

It's not that the front end isn't hard working because they are and that is what is helping right now. Although being first to the puck is great, once you get there, you need to be able to do something with it. He needs to find a front end leader and I don't think Brace is that guy.

Anybody notice that there are 8 93's on this team. Percy, DeMelo, Teichmann, Diodati, Kontos, Rasmussen, Harvey and Foy. What is Boyd going to do next year when he can only have 3? He's going to have to do something this year to set himself up for next?
Percy, Demelo, Rasmussen and possibly Teichman will be traded.

They will keep Foy, Kontos and Diodati.

Boydy will make many trades at Xmas and Trade deadline, depending on how team is doing. Just as he did last year.

Problem is that Boydy wont be back next year as new owner will not want to pay reasonable money to keep him on as Coach and GM. That might affect Boydy's attitude toward the future team????

Old
09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Mississauga has a downtown?!? Who knew! LOL
Yeah I used to laugh at this too when I moved to Mississauga and people mentioned downtown. They're referring of course to Sq One and Playdium and that central bus terminal. It is actually fairly busy and becoming a bit more important now that Sheridan College is there plus a bunch of business buildings and condos. The point is though that there's a lot of people go there for recreation and it sees a lot of traffic plus is accessible with buses going there from any corner of the city plus a Go Bus terminal which connects to Toronto so it would've meant much bigger crowds. It's not as much that as the obscure location of the Hershey Centre. If it was located along that Queen Street strip in Streetsville it would've gotten bigger crowds lol. Bunch of shops to eat at around there and hockey's popular in Streestsville.

Anyways, I read that Kerr only committed to the Steelheads in Mississauga for 3 years. I find this sad, he says he eventually wants to get attendance up to 4K but unless this team becomes a contender again, this process will take more than 3 yrs so hopefully he's patient.

Old
09-26-2012, 05:31 PM
NHL Fanatic

Brampton may end up moving to North Bay at the end of this season which might possibly help Mississauga in their quest for attendance.

Old
09-27-2012, 04:25 PM
glasses91

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Percy, Demelo, Rasmussen and possibly Teichman will be traded.

They will keep Foy, Kontos and Diodati.

Boydy will make many trades at Xmas and Trade deadline, depending on how team is doing. Just as he did last year.

Problem is that Boydy wont be back next year as new owner will not want to pay reasonable money to keep him on as Coach and GM. That might affect Boydy's attitude toward the future team????

if they trade those guys there will be no attendance, me included.

you'll only see the two fans that bring the brace yourself sign.

Old
09-27-2012, 07:39 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasses91 View Post

Unfortunately, that is reality. Demelo and Percy will not be back next year, and will be in AHL.

Teichman and Rasmussen might fetch some draft picks.

They have no choice. They are in major rebuilding mode, especially after Cameron sold the farm for the Mem Cup run.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:25 AM
glasses91

vCash: 250
so i shouldnt buy a percy steelheads jersey?

Old
09-28-2012, 12:31 AM
jpc7734

Quote:

First off I'm the guy who made those signs... hope you like em and yes I'd still be there if they traded those guys but I feel the only way it's got a shot at working is if either Brampton or missy moves and the two fan bases support one team. Personally I wouldn't care what you called the team, which city had its name on it or which roster you kept but it would have to be done out of Hershey I am just not a fan of the Powerade centre.

Old
09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

Windsor Spitfires Game Day versus the Mississauga Steelheads

Tonight, the Windsor Spitfires continue their 2012-13 Ontario Hockey League season with a road game against the Mississauga Steelheads. This evening’s game will mark the first time that the Spits will face the new look team from the western sub-urb of Toronto. Game time is 7:30 pm.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0025.php

Old
09-28-2012, 12:54 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Windsor Spitfires Game Day versus the Mississauga Steelheads

Tonight, the Windsor Spitfires continue their 2012-13 Ontario Hockey League season with a road game against the Mississauga Steelheads. This evening’s game will mark the first time that the Spits will face the new look team from the western sub-urb of Toronto. Game time is 7:30 pm.

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0025.php

One correction to the article is that Spencer Martin is on the 'B' list not the 'C'. I think although these players are not on NHL CS if they play Adam Bateman is a player to watch for the Spits and Teskey for the Steelheads. I also agree I think DeKort may just get the start in this one.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:38 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:

It's unfortunate that you feel that without Percy, Brace or DeMelo that there would be no attendance. I honestly don't know what people see in Percy (don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's no Dougy Hamilton and Dougy doesn't have a life size cut-out).

On another note, Boyd will have to trade one or all of them in order to be able to get something in return. Maybe he can trade them for something that catches your interest and keeps you coming!

Old
09-30-2012, 07:14 PM
mcreferee

Quote:
It's unfortunate that you feel that without Percy, Brace or DeMelo that there would be no attendance. I honestly don't know what people see in Percy (don't get me wrong, he's good, but he's no Dougy Hamilton and Dougy doesn't have a life size cut-out).
Yup...Percy is no Dougie Hamilton. He's Stuart Percy. They are two different players. Hamilton has more offensive upside and better size, but Percy, IMO, is better all-round and is unflappable. I've seen two occasions where Hamilton hasn't stepped to the plate. He was pretty much invisible two years ago in the Eastern Final between the Majors and IceDogs, and last year in the OHL Finals he had a good first game then was irrelevant. A pick of his stature needs to be better in those types of situations.

Percy is more consistent, if less flashy, and is not intimidated by pressure. The concern at this point is that last year's injuries do not become a long term liability.

The two are not comparable players, IMO. Percy is more in the mold of a Matt Finn...displays leadership and is solid both ways.

Old
10-01-2012, 08:04 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
Yup...Percy is no Dougie Hamilton. He's Stuart Percy. They are two different players. Hamilton has more offensive upside and better size, but Percy, IMO, is better all-round and is unflappable. I've seen two occasions where Hamilton hasn't stepped to the plate. He was pretty much invisible two years ago in the Eastern Final between the Majors and IceDogs, and last year in the OHL Finals he had a good first game then was irrelevant. A pick of his stature needs to be better in those types of situations.

Percy is more consistent, if less flashy, and is not intimidated by pressure. The concern at this point is that last year's injuries do not become a long term liability.

The two are not comparable players, IMO. Percy is more in the mold of a Matt Finn...displays leadership and is solid both ways.
Agreed, they pay two different styles of hockey, but we'll have to agree to disagree on who will be the better player over time and the definition of leadership.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:27 AM
mcreferee

Quote:
Agreed, they pay two different styles of hockey, but we'll have to agree to disagree on who will be the better player over time and the definition of leadership.
I never actually stated which one I felt would be the better player over time. I was just commenting on the type of player they are now and why perhaps Hamilton was considered a better prospect in their draft year.

I feel they both have things they need to work on before they have any success long term.

Old
10-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Kloparren
Hth

The team is having a design a mask contest but it's for kids who are in a Mississauga school I think so you'd have to get your sibling or kid to do it:
http://www.mississaugasteelheads.com...ds-goalie-mask

Also can someone check the fan shop to see if they have hockey cards this season? Please?

Old
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Torts

really bad news today from @PollardOHL as Spencer Martin has a knee injury and may require surgery. steelheads supposdly in rush to find a goalie as teichmann only other goalie on roster

Old
10-03-2012, 08:30 PM
NHL Fanatic

Spencer Martin is having surgery, Steelheads are in search of a back up goalie

Old
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Spencer Martin is having surgery, Steelheads are in search of a back up goalie
lets try finding a starting one first

Frankie P in Kitch?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
BigBuck

Clint Windsor in Saginaw might be available. He was rumoured to be on the move before the season started.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:11 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

Frankie P in Kitch?
They definitely need a starting goalie, no idea who they are looking at. Frankie P, Clint Windsor, maybe Taylor Edwards or bringing up one of their draftees for the time being.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Jack Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post

Frankie P in Kitch?
He won't be cheap.What could the Stelheads give up for him?

Old
10-04-2012, 12:23 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
He won't be cheap.What could the Stelheads give up for him?
Demelo or Percy?

Old
10-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Ward Cornell

Steelheads got Clint Windsor from Saginaw for a 2014 5th rounder and the rights to Kevin Irwin (93 birthyear and playing in the USHL)

Closed Thread