HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Old
10-02-2012, 11:01 AM
MMANumminen

vCash: 500
after 1st so far 2 goals for Armia against Pelicans

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
Also got an assist in the third. Was close to scoring his first hat trick once again. Maybe next game.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:45 AM
urho

vCash: 695
The problem with Armia is still his consistency. He scores 2+1 today and then doesn't do anything in two weeks. I really hope he'd improve that as the season goes along.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Temego

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
The first goal was diiiiiiiirty, Kovalchuk-esque snipe to the top corner.

Temego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
heksagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temego View Post
The first goal was diiiiiiiirty, Kovalchuk-esque snipe to the top corner.
Yep, it was a dirty snipe: http://www.iltasanomat.fi/videot/jaa...504419347.html (first goal in the video)

heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
The problem with Armia is still his consistency. He scores 2+1 today and then doesn't do anything in two weeks. I really hope he'd improve that as the season goes along.
He can see things before they don't happen...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
This post is from the future.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:47 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Can you get me next week's lotto numbers while you're gazing into that crystal ball?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:52 PM
jfb392

I don't get all the hate on urho's post.
Yeah, it's a bit of broken English so it comes across weird, but the point is still the same: Armia's history says he is consistently inconsistent and he hasn't done much to prove otherwise.
For me, it's the biggest determining factor when looking at his future potential.
If he doesn't start putting it together consistently, he'll just be a project that never fully progressed.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:18 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't get all the hate on urho's post.
Yeah, it's a bit of broken English so it comes across weird, but the point is still the same: Armia's history says he is consistently inconsistent and he hasn't done much to prove otherwise.
For me, it's the biggest determining factor when looking at his future potential.
If he doesn't start putting it together consistently, he'll just be a project that never fully progressed.
Armia's certainly off to a much better start this year than last. Already a step in the direction of proving he can put it together for a full season. IMO, there hasn't been nearly enough hockey yet this season to say he's been inconsistent like in years past. I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:12 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.
He's scored 6 of his 8 points in 2 games (8gp). I know my English isn't fluent but my argument is still valid. I watched him in the first game of the season and he was absolutely brilliant, making fools out of his opponents. Five days later he showed nothing to write home about. His good games are so far from his worse performances that you wouldn't even think it's the same player.

He's still young, tho, and lots of snipers seem to be inconsistent. I just hope it's not his attitude what causes this because that's hard to fix.

Last edited by urho: 10-04-2012 at 01:57 AM.
urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:22 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I haven't watched him as much as others, but you can tell he's the type of player that shows up in flashes. He'll be invisible all game, even to the point of looking lethargic, then boom, he'll make a brilliant play that nobody else could make. It's a frustrating game to watch because you know the ability to dominate for stretches is in there somewhere, but how do you pull it out? I think Armia will benefit immensely in Buffalo from a high energy guy like Girgensons down the road.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:03 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I haven't watched him as much as others, but you can tell he's the type of player that shows up in flashes. He'll be invisible all game, even to the point of looking lethargic, then boom, he'll make a brilliant play that nobody else could make. It's a frustrating game to watch because you know the ability to dominate for stretches is in there somewhere, but how do you pull it out? I think Armia will benefit immensely in Buffalo from a high energy guy like Girgensons down the road.
Giirgensons-Grigorenko-Armia definitely looked like a potential top line in development camp, and it definitely fits Ruff's new fondness for grit/energy guy-playmaker-shooter lines.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:14 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
He's scored 6 of his 8 points in 2 games (8gp). I know my English isn't fluent but my argument is still valid. I watched him in the first game of the season and he was absolutely brilliant, making fools out of his opponents. Five days later he showed nothing to write home about. His good games are so far from his worse performances that you wouldn't even think it's the same player.

He's still young, tho, and lots of snipers seem to be inconsistent. I just hope it's not his attitude what causes this because that's hard to fix.
I don't think it's an attitude problem. He can be a little lazy but he does take hockey like prof. athlete should, from what I've seen and heard. He can and will improve, he's still young. He's a shy kid, so kind of hard to tell.

But I d do think your criticism is valid.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I don't think it's an attitude problem. He can be a little lazy but he does take hockey like prof. athlete should, from what I've seen and heard. He can and will improve, he's still young. He's a shy kid, so kind of hard to tell.

But I d do think your criticism is valid.
Sure is. The same criticism for grigs is valid. They're young players, though. It's not uncommon to see them lose focus. That's why it's so important for teams to develop players correctly.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:

He's 19 years old, are people really expecting him to dominate every single night playing in a mens league??

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Armia's certainly off to a much better start this year than last. Already a step in the direction of proving he can put it together for a full season. IMO, there hasn't been nearly enough hockey yet this season to say he's been inconsistent like in years past. I mean, the kid's 2nd on his team in goals (4th in the league, I think) and T-2nd on his team for points. He's hardly off to a slow start.
Sure it it's a small sample size, but he's still wildly inconsistent from game to game.
The gap between peaks and valleys with him has to start closing at some point.
His peak has gotten better since he was drafted, but he still has that low valley where he's completely terrible and it looks like he's not even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's 19 years old, are people really expecting him to dominate every single night playing in a mens league??
Well, this is now his third season as a regular.
He has to start differentiating himself somehow soon.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:53 AM
SittingDuck

one thing i like about Armia though, is that he seems to score those clutch goals (WJC) which is a good trait to have.

SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Eidyia

Joel Armia downside -> Niklas Hagman

Joel Armia topside -> Ilja Kovalchuck or better

Damn this kid has been good. The media here would be raving about him if it weren't for Barkov and the lockoutees.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Would a bigger Semin be an apt comparison? Deft puckhandler with an elite shot, but so far, not entirely consistent.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post

Damn this kid has been good. The media here would be raving about him if it weren't for Barkov and the lockoutees.
Woah, Armia does not have that kind of upside, he's a really good prospect, but just no.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Woah, Armia does not have that kind of upside, he's a really good prospect, but just no.
He has pretty much all the same skills. It's unlikely but possible.

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:

This has been the problem with the whole team. The first two games they looked solid and Armia was a big part of that. After that the team thought it was going to be easy and every player lacked pretty much everything (the game that you are talking about). Last week Armia played well just like to whole team, but just like the rest of the gang he couldn't make it count on the scoreboard. He sometimes tries to do too much by himself and it doesn't work, but that's just him as a player.

I know that there are still other flaws in his game, but I don't think there are any major attitude problems to be worried about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Sure it it's a small sample size, but he's still wildly inconsistent from game to game.
The gap between peaks and valleys with him has to start closing at some point.
His peak has gotten better since he was drafted, but he still has that low valley where he's completely terrible and it looks like he's not even trying.

Well, this is now his third season as a regular.
He has to start differentiating himself somehow soon.
So far this season he has not been terrible other than in their third game about which I talked about already. To be honest he hasn't had a whole lot of terrible games in 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Would a bigger Semin be an apt comparison? Deft puckhandler with an elite shot, but so far, not entirely consistent.
Would say that a slightly more physical Semin is pretty darn accurate. Both own a great shot, soft hands in general and are dangerous in 1on1-situations. On the other hand both have a weak defencive game and are inconsistent.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
He does have the tools to be a Kovalchuck-lite, however unlikely that outcome may be. I think whoever said Semin is probably closer with their comparison though. Wicked shot, very deadly one-on-one, pretty uh underwhelming from center ice to his own net. I think Armia differs from him a bit though, IMO, in how he uses his size -- Armia, from what I've seen, has good to great puck protection skills because of how he angles his body and uses his reach. I've also seen him take advantage of smaller d-men by just going through them.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post

LOL!

Talk about being overrated!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote