HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
If fans truly wished to invoke the fear of God on both sides, they would abandon the Winter Classic. Even if 50% still showed. That would be an absolute PR disaster, and an enormous embarrassment to the league and players. Of course, the probability is unfortunately beyond slim.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:23 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
People here confuse following the NHL with spending $ on it. You don't need to boycott the product, just don't buy ticket/merch for a while. That's easily do-able imo.

I also can't believe how many people renewed seasons tickets. That's hindsight now but ignoring those ticket holders, it's still possible to have an effect on the league.
Don't know what it is like for other teams, but the Rangers offer a 10-month payment plan and the first payment for this season was due in March. At the time, I thought they would get something done without a problem. Secondly, for the first time in a LOOOONG time there is actually a secondary market for rangers tickets. So, even if I decided I didn't want to go as my way of protesting, I can still make money on the tickets.

Old
10-03-2012, 06:24 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If fans truly wished to invoke the fear of God on both sides, they would abandon the Winter Classic. Even if 50% still showed. That would be an absolute PR disaster, and an enormous embarrassment to the league and players. Of course, the probability is unfortunately beyond slim.
Again, those tickets are already sold. Easy for someone to say something like this if they haven't spent good money on the tickets.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:58 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
If the top half of the league saw 50% of their season ticket holders cancel their seats, we'd see a CBA signed within a week.
It might to be the top half but for the have teams, all they would have to do is make a public announcement that sth are available and this problem disappears

One of the major elements of the lockout is the disparity between the have teams and the have nots. And your solution is to do something that increases this disparity ?

Montreal and Toronto could easily replace all of their sths but if this boycott it would be the death knell for several of the smaller market teams. A boycott is a nice idea and that's pretty much as far as it will go no matter how much some fans feign outrage.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:10 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic View Post
An amazing show of strength would be to unite, and once the NHL does come back, stage 6 minute strikes to start every game.

Buy your tickets, go to the games, enjoy them - but no one enters the arena for the first 6 minutes. It effectively humiliates the league, when everyone watching on tv just sees an empty arena for the first 6 minutes of the game. kind of a "yeah, we love this sport and we'll still watch your games, but ******* you".

If you're stronger than that, and can just not go to games, or do anything else that profits the NHL, all the better.
the six minutes thing wold be hard to do, someone else suggested that the start of each game everyone stand up and turn around ( backs to the ice ). This way a message is sent, but the local guys and restaurants get protected and you are not asking for unreasonable concessions from season ticket holders. Yes you could argue that if the owners still get their money that it is an empty gesture but at this point I think a symbolic gesture is all that can be reasonably accomplished. Then after the first whistle, everyone gets back to enjoy the game.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Honeycutt

I saw this idea posted in another thread, but on opening night, whenever that may be, fans should leave the arena after the national anthem and sit in the concorse for the first five minutes of the game. That way people don't waste the money that they spent on tickets and player and owners would see that the fans arn't happy. Could you imagine no one in their seats when the puck drops.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Bongo

I'd just like to remind everyone that fans in Atlanta voted with their wallets to show their displeasure with how ASG was running the team. We all know how well that turned out. Send that petition down here. There are about 30K folks in the Atlanta area that absolutely hate Bettman and the NHL.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Crows*

Everyone take all your Monopoly money and throw it on the Ice the moment the puck is dropped.

That or bottles

Old
10-03-2012, 08:50 AM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I'd just like to remind everyone that fans in Atlanta voted with their wallets to show their displeasure with how ASG was running the team. We all know how well that turned out. Send that petition down here. There are about 30K folks in the Atlanta area that absolutely hate Bettman and the NHL.
Well said. I have no problem with my teams owner, and in no way am I interested in hurting their business - the league and the players are doing a good enough job on their own

Old
10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Personally, I hope the NHL loses a lot of fans and attendance is bad when they do come back. Because as long as we keep coming back, especially in record numbers like after the last lockout, this will keep happening.
completely agree with this. i hope the owners suffer a tremendous amount and theyre begging fans to come back. So sick of this greedy bullcrap. They just said they lost 100million from preseason and it seemed like it meant nothing. 100 million dollars. 100, 000, 000. nah, no big deal.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:06 AM
JMT21

As a Jets STH... the team already has my $$$ for the upcoming season. If I tried to get my money back I can kiss my ST goodbye. After waiting 15 years..... that is not an option.

I will however boycott all NHL/JETS merchandise for the foreseeable future.

When the puck drops again..... I'd like to see each team owner along with the respective team Captains and Assistants take to centre ice and offer apologies to the fans before the first home games.

A $100 voucher for beer and concessions would also be a nice touch.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:07 AM
socratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
the six minutes thing wold be hard to do, someone else suggested that the start of each game everyone stand up and turn around ( backs to the ice ). This way a message is sent, but the local guys and restaurants get protected and you are not asking for unreasonable concessions from season ticket holders. Yes you could argue that if the owners still get their money that it is an empty gesture but at this point I think a symbolic gesture is all that can be reasonably accomplished. Then after the first whistle, everyone gets back to enjoy the game.
I'd be fine with this method. Honestly I think a symbollic message is perfect. Most people want to see hockey again, they are just sick of being caught up in this mess of greed. A symbolic message shows that fans are capable of uniting, and that they're upset. It's hopefully enough to stop something like this from happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
I saw this idea posted in another thread, but on opening night, whenever that may be, fans should leave the arena after the national anthem and sit in the concorse for the first five minutes of the game. That way people don't waste the money that they spent on tickets and player and owners would see that the fans arn't happy. Could you imagine no one in their seats when the puck drops.
5 minutes! How unoriginal, that wouldn't have half the impact of my 6 minute plan! (jk, I posted a 6 minute strike plan back one page).

Old
10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
Right, they will think, "OK, fans are not happy, but they are still giving us their money." Yeah, not sure they would really be bothered.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:22 AM
averyrule

Sign me up for this. And for all the people who already bought season tickets, we can't really ask you to cancel them or not go to games. But if you do go to games don't spend any money inside the arena. Eat before you go, have your beer at the local bars around the arena, don't buy any nhl merchandise. If we all collectively spend less money on the nhl, then we can make an impact.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatidialga View Post
A better Idea would be to go to the first game of the season, and as soon as the puck drops everyone leaves and stays in the concourse, weather it be for the rest of the game or the period and then keep doing that until the NHL gets the message
I like this idea.

Heck, even if after the Anthem(s) are finished, just simply turn away from the ice surface for the puck drop, or pull out a newspaper and ignore the start of the game (like in Mystery Alaska)

Old
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
noupf

Are all of you people who are advocating "turning your backs to the ice" thing really serious? Do you think the owners, the leauge or the players will give a shiit if you do that? NO, because they already have your money. Keep being obedient little sheeple and go right back to giving these jack-offs all your hard earned money. I mean seriously, the NHL has only had 3 work stoppages in the last 17 years.........that sure as hell makes me what to keep spending my money on the NHL right?

If you have any conviction about sending a message, DONT GO TO THE GAMES and DONT BUY any officially liscensed merchandise.

I will give two teams a pass on all this BS............The fans of the LA Kings and the Winnipeg Jets.

The rest of the fans ( as many as humanly possible ) need to stop going to games and buying merchandise for as long as they can. As a hard core hockey fan, I plan on boycotting the leauge and its merchandise for, at the very least, 2-3 years or more. I just hope enough fans have strong enough convictions to do the same.

Thats how you send a message to the leauge and its owners !! Anything short of not spending your money on the NHL's products, and you feed right back into their hands. The owners and the leauge or banking on the fact that all you obedient little sheeple will pile back into the arenas and spend your money on tickets, merchandise, beers and food............and when you do, all of this CBA crap is destined to happen again and again and again.

Rant over......

Last edited by noupf: 10-03-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 07:08 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Are all of you people who are advocating "turning your backs to the ice" thing really serious? Do you think the owners, the leauge or the players will give a shiit if you do that? NO, because they already have your money. Keep being obedient little sheeple and go right back to giving these jack-offs all your hard earned money. I mean seriously, the NHL has only had 3 work stoppages in the last 17 years.........that sure as hell makes me what to keep spending my money on the NHL right?

If you have any conviction about sending a message, DONT GO TO THE GAMES and DONT BUY any officially liscensed merchandise.

I will give two teams a pass on all this BS............The fans of the LA Kings and the Winnipeg Jets.

The rest of the fans ( as many as humanly possible ) need to stop going to games and buying merchandise for as long as they can. As a hard core hockey fan, I plan on boycotting the leauge and its merchandise for, at the very least, 2-3 years or more. I just hope enough fans have strong enough convictions to do the same.

Thats how you send a message to the leauge and its owners !! Anything short of not spending your money on the NHL's products, and you feed right back into their hands. The owners and the leauge or banking on the fact that all you obedient little sheeple will pile back into the arenas and spend your money on tickets, merchandise, beers and food............and when you do, all of this CBA crap is destined to happen again and again and again.

Rant over......

Why don't you wish for a pony while you are at it ?

In traditional markets, people staying away will simply open up opportunities to people who, before the lockout, could not attend. For fans in struggling markets you are advocating what would amount to a death knell for several teams. The Montreal Canadians could literally defile a convent of nuns on ppv and it would not affect demand for tickets but the have not teams have problems under conditions when people were not boycotting them.

Unions live and die for a variety of reasons, some players will not cross a line and play for a whole bunch of reasons, but fans have no such union and the assumption of fan solidarity is woefully misplaced. People will cross in have markets, no one disputes this.

This is a labor dispute, one in which the fans have zero pull. Why some people act like Bettman and orFehr broke into their house and impregnated the family dog is beyond me. Right now a symbolic gesture would be the best case scenario, if you want to not attend the games that is your prerogative, in have markets people are literally lining up to take your place. In have not markets you are disproportionally punishing the teams that are least well suited to handle it. Then your team gets up for greener pastures and you have your righteous indignation to keep you warm at night.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
noupf

Quote:
Why don't you wish for a pony while you are at it ?

In traditional markets, people staying away will simply open up opportunities to people who, before the lockout, could not attend. For fans in struggling markets you are advocating what would amount to a death knell for several teams. The Montreal Canadians could literally defile a convent of nuns on ppv and it would not affect demand for tickets but the have not teams have problems under conditions when people were not boycotting them.

Unions live and die for a variety of reasons, some players will not cross a line and play for a whole bunch of reasons, but fans have no such union and the assumption of fan solidarity is woefully misplaced. People will cross in have markets, no one disputes this.

This is a labor dispute, one in which the fans have zero pull. Why some people act like Bettman and orFehr broke into their house and impregnated the family dog is beyond me. Right now a symbolic gesture would be the best case scenario, if you want to not attend the games that is your prerogative, in have markets people are literally lining up to take your place. In have not markets you are disproportionally punishing the teams that are least well suited to handle it. Then your team gets up for greener pastures and you have your righteous indignation to keep you warm at night.
Wrong, the only reason their is a labor dispute and the only reason the owerships have a product is because of the fans. No fans = no leauge. No leauge = no jobs for the players. If they cant get their shiit straight, than they should be penalized by those who finance their businesses........the fans.

I know that there are a handfull of teams around the leauge where if a fan were to boycott, another fan would just step into their place, however, there are many more teams where this would not be the case.

I guess by what you are saying is that we should just sit idly by and let them suck the money out of the fans pockets when the leauge and players decide to get back to work, regardless of how much anger the fans feel each time there is a lock out.

The leauge, the players and the owners have had ample time to get this crap taken care of with out jeopardizing another season and to have 3 work stoppages in 17 years is beyond acceptable.

Again, the leauge and the owners view the majority of their fans as sheeple and you will all come back, no matter how "mad" everybody says they are.

As for teams leaving for greener pastures...............maybe the owners should have done a better job managing their business and their expenses ( players salaries ). Perhaps bettman should never have put teams in some of those markets to begin with.

I mean seriously, the owners and the NHL said 8 years ago that the current CBA fixed all the problems with their bussiness..........oh wait............we are in another lock out.

This new CBA ( whenever it gets signed ) must be the answer this time.................right ?

When a first mistake is made, you learn and move on. When the same mistakes are made again and agian, you get punished.......the NHL and its products need to be punished. 3 stoppages in 17 years............

Last edited by noupf: 10-03-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Wrong, the only reason their is a labor dispute and the only reason the owerships have a product is because of the fans. No fans = no leauge. No leauge = no jobs for the players. If they cant get their shiit straight, than they should be penalized by those who finance their businesses........the fans.

I know that there are a handfull of teams around the leauge where if a fan were to boycott, another fan would just step into their place, however, there are many more teams where this would not be the case.

I guess by what you are saying is that we should just sit idly by and let them suck the money out of the fans pockets when the leauge and players decide to get back to work, regardless of how much anger the fans feel each time there is a lock out.

The leauge, the players and the owners have had ample time to get this crap taken care of with out jeopardizing another season and to have 3 work stoppages in 17 years is beyond acceptable.

Again, the leauge and the owners view the majority of their fans as sheeple and you will all come back, no matter how "mad" everybody says they are. .
Sez who ? You ? You can act however you like, if you want to wash your hands of the NHL then that is your perogative. but if you chose to do this you should do it that if you are in a have market your defection is literally a drop in the bucket that will have zero effect. If you are in a have not market you are letting your indignation further destabilize teams that are currently in perilous states. and this benefits who ?

I think that there are industries that should be prevented from striking or being locked out but these are primarily for reasons of public safety. As much as I love the game, my entertainment is not a matter of public safety or national security. If the CBA comes up and the owners want to lock the players out ( or the players chose to strike) to get a better deal that is their right. They dont need your freaking consent. If you go to games and buy tickets and merch this does not make you a minority partner in the enterprise. you get to cheer ( or not) you have zero say in the relationship between the talent and management as you are not part of this labor negotiation.

Perhaps my view is tinted by the fact that I'm a fan of a have market, a market so deep and profound that it is unlikely that any choice by the owners or players would have any lasting effect on ticket demand and or revenue. But I sympathise with the have not markets, who are struggling to make payroll as it is and you want to disproportionally damage them as some type of shrine to the extent of your outrage ? Again I ask, who does this benefit ?

Old
10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

How about this, maybe a fan rally outside NHL headquarters. Just like the Occupy Wall Street movement, maybe get every hockey fans everywhere to come to New York and start a protest. The more numbers the better.

Maybe even be Canucks for a day.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
noupf

Quote:
Sez who ? You ? You can act however you like, if you want to wash your hands of the NHL then that is your perogative. but if you chose to do this you should do it that if you are in a have market your defection is literally a drop in the bucket that will have zero effect. If you are in a have not market you are letting your indignation further destabilize teams that are currently in perilous states. and this benefits who ?

I think that there are industries that should be prevented from striking or being locked out but these are primarily for reasons of public safety. As much as I love the game, my entertainment is not a matter of public safety or national security. If the CBA comes up and the owners want to lock the players out ( or the players chose to strike) to get a better deal that is their right. They dont need your freaking consent. If you go to games and buy tickets and merch this does not make you a minority partner in the enterprise. you get to cheer ( or not) you have zero say in the relationship between the talent and management as you are not part of this labor negotiation.

Perhaps my view is tinted by the fact that I'm a fan of a have market, a market so deep and profound that it is unlikely that any choice by the owners or players would have any lasting effect on ticket demand and or revenue. But I sympathise with the have not markets, who are struggling to make payroll as it is and you want to disproportionally damage them as some type of shrine to the extent of your outrage ? Again I ask, who does this benefit ?
No outrage here. I'm just not one of the sheeple who will sit here and eat the shiit that is sevrved to me on silver platter by the NHL and have a smile on my face like so many others will after yet another work stoppage. Its obvious you will continue to back your team, its market and spend your money. You have that right. I am not trying to be a jerk towards you personally. I am talking to those who are planning to show the NHL that they are tired of these lockouts. Who does this bennefit you ask? Hopefully the entire NHL years down the line, when the next CBA expires and another work stoppage looms. Perhaps on work stoppage #4 or 5, the leauge and the teams that felt the pain of the current lockout will seriously reconsider another lock out. In business, sometimes hard descisions lead to casualties. If some of these have not markets suffer......well, perhaps they shouldnt have a team to begin with. If they are in such dire straights, the leauge and other owners should have thought twice about a lockout b/c they cant control their businesse models . In these situations, the fans are the ones who fund these businesses ( each team being a business ). Well, when you piss off those who fund your business, consiquences begin to rear their heads. Sorry, but for those who are tired of the work stopppages, a message should be sent. Till then, the NHL will continue to be a shiit show when it comes to running its business.....and these lock outs will happen again and again.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
How about this, maybe a fan rally outside NHL headquarters. Just like the Occupy Wall Street movement, maybe get every hockey fans everywhere to come to New York and start a protest. The more numbers the better.

Maybe even be Canucks for a day.
honestly, something as simple as this can help get the point across. Perhaps the owners and the leauge may have an "oh shiit" monent and get this CBA done. My fear, however, is that it would be too small of a protest and it would be overlooked.

Thats why I am saying, if you are intent on showing them you are upset, show them with your wallet. Since the CBA is focussed on one main thing.....our money.......dont give it to them.

Last edited by noupf: 10-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 09:20 PM
sandysan

Quote:
No outrage here. I'm just not one of the sheeple who will sit here and eat the shiit that is sevrved to me on silver platter by the NHL and have a smile on my face like so many others will after yet another work stoppage. Its obvious you will continue to back your team, its market and spend your money. You have that right. I am not trying to be a jerk towards you personally. I am talking to those who are planning to show the NHL that they are tired of these lockouts. Who does this bennefit you ask? Hopefully the entire NHL years down the line, when the next CBA expires and another work stoppage looms. Perhaps on work stoppage #4 or 5, the leauge and the teams that felt the pain of the current lockout will seriously reconsider another lock out. .
So lets make sure we understand each other.

It is my position that in the have markets ( lets say Tor/NYR/Mtl) a boycott will not affect their bottom line one red cent. Agree oer not ?

Teams that are currently hurting, a boycott will disproportionally affect them and it may lead some teams to move and or fold ( perhaps another acquisition by the league since the phoenix debacle has gone so swimmingly). Agree or not ?

So for the sake of of long term league stability ( presumably evidenced by lack of labor strife) you want to exacerbate the fundamental underying problem of revenue discrepancy of the have and have nots and if this means that you literally push some teams off the cliff then this is an acceptable trade off so long as it does not interrupt your ability to watch games at your convenience ? Really ?

I think that if you could get enough people such that the have teams were affected ( and the have nots were not reduced to rubble by this nuclear option) then this is a fine approach. But I suspect a plea for a pony is infintely more likely to be granted.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Bill_Crosby

I don't think I can contribute less financially to the NHL then I already do. Games I watch are on CBC/Streams, never buy tickets and don't merchandise that often (once per year maybe). I did buy NHL 13 and this is the last year it sucks major balls.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
noupf

Quote:
So lets make sure we understand each other.

It is my position that in the have markets ( lets say Tor/NYR/Mtl) a boycott will not affect their bottom line one red cent. Agree oer not ?

Disagree.....somewhat. I can go to any game in NY and not have a sold out arena, if 20% of non season ticket holding fans were to actually boycott or cut back, that would speak volumes. If enough pissed off people, in other have markets were to hold back, the owners and the leauge would get punished.....and it would speak volumes.

Teams that are currently hurting, a boycott will disproportionally affect them and it may lead some teams to move and or fold ( perhaps another acquisition by the league since the phoenix debacle has gone so swimmingly). Agree or not ?

Nothing disproportional at all, its all relative. A 20% boycott of a small market is as damaging as a 20% boycott in a larger market ( minus a few of the super teams and their cult like followings......ie, Montreal, Toronto ect. ) 30 teams in the leauge, most of which would feel the effects of a boycott.

So for the sake of of long term league stability ( presumably evidenced by lack of labor strife) you want to exacerbate the fundamental underying problem of revenue discrepancy of the have and have nots and if this means that you literally push some teams off the cliff then this is an acceptable trade off so long as it does not interrupt your ability to watch games at your convenience ? Really ?

Yes, really, its capitalism at its best. Whether it happens now or later, those teams who have no business being in a certain market have to fold. Would you rather have the floundering teams be part of the reason for lockout #4 or 5 down the road? If teams that dont belong in a market are keeping this product from being played, sorry, you have to seriously consider folding them and moving them to a city that can sustain them or contract the leauge. Thats business, plain and simple. Sometimes tough decision have to made today in order to improve stability for tomorrow.

I think that if you could get enough people such that the have teams were affected ( and the have nots were not reduced to rubble by this nuclear option) then this is a fine approach. But I suspect a plea for a pony is infintely more likely to be granted.

I dont like ponies.......so I will work on getting people to give a big FU to the NHL....at least for a little while. Its all in an attempt to keep this from happening again in the future.

Closed Thread