HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leaf fans: would you trade kadri for luongo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
CanuckLuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
More like Roberto holding the Canucks for a kings ransom! All that money to sit on the bench and flash his NTC if his trade destination isn't Florida.
It's just speculation at this point that only Florida is involved. And also, the Canucks are quite comfortable starting the season with both Schneider and Luongo. It has already been stated by both sides.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
It's just speculation at this point that only Florida is involved. And also, the Canucks are quite comfortable starting the season with both Schneider and Luongo. It has already been stated by both sides.
I'm sure Roberto will be happy collecting that fat paycheque sitting on the bench. I'm not so sure that Canucks feel the same way; especially if that truckload of money isn't improving the team.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
I'm sure the GM that will acquire him is delighted at the possibility of trying to unload that cap hit in the future.
Oh, so you don't get it?

Think about teams that are looking to hit the CAP floor. Teams that are struggling markets that can only spend so much money in one year. You don't think to ANY of those teams that Luongo's 1M a year will be favorable? It's true his CAP hit will remain high, but that's exactly the point.

Spend 1M real dollars and take a CAP hit of 5.3M.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Say again? I mean I don't know if he'll play another game because of potentially being traded but if you're suggesting a hold out I doubt it.
A back problem might crop up but Schneider being under the impression that Luongo will be gone and Luongo not wanting to sit at the end of the bench wearing a ball cap will be a very uncomfortable situation.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I'm sure Roberto will be happy collecting that fat paycheque sitting on the bench. I'm not so sure that Canucks feel the same way; especially if that truckload of money isn't improving the team.
I'm sure the owners (who like Luongo) don't mind! Especially if the trade doesn't improve the team.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
There's no rush. It's only a matter of time before he is traded and it's likely that the starts will be relatively even between Schneider and Luongo. Thinking a 60-40 type of thing in favor of Schneider. This isn't exactly riding the pine. And while Luongo may not be happy about the entire situation, he has already been quoted as saying he will handle himself professionally until everything settles itself.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Oh, so you don't get it?

Think about teams that are looking to hit the CAP floor. Teams that are struggling markets that can only spend so much money in one year. You don't think to ANY of those teams that Luongo's 1M a year will be favorable? It's true his CAP hit will remain high, but that's exactly the point.

Spend 1M real dollars and take a CAP hit of 5.3M.
I definitely get the point you're trying to make. But one phone call from a GM trying to unload 4 years of 5.3M worth of cap is all it's going to take to end discussions. I'm sure other GMs know this as well.

Four years is a long time, especially if the team in question starts spending to the cap and has 5.3M worth of deadweight to worry about.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
I'm sure the owners (who like Luongo) don't mind!
An owner of a professional hockey team wouldn't be in the position to own a professional hockey team in the first place if he threw away millions of dollars a year because he liked someone.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
I definitely get the point you're trying to make. But one phone call from a GM trying to unload 4 years of 5.3M worth of cap is all it's going to take to end discussions. I'm sure other GMs know this as well.

Four years is a long time, especially if the team in question starts spending to the cap and has 5.3M worth of deadweight to worry about.
You're assuming he'll play till 43!?!?! Luongo will retire before this..What goalie has ever played till 43? Was it just Hasek?

And also, 'unloading' is exactly the point we're trying ot make. SOme teams will gladly accept this contract to meet their CAP requirements.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:21 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Sundin was a joke in Vancouver. No doubt about it. Horrible waste of money.
Sundin was actually a great signing for us. Teaching Kesler how to play in the offensive zone and convincing him to shoot the puck more was WELL worth the 5 million IMO. For those who are unaware, Kesler went from being a .5ppg player to just under a ppg player once Sundin arrived.

It also is no coincidence that the Sedins transformed from elite, MVPs the two seasons following Sundin playing with them. Obviously correlation does not imply causation, and other factors such as the addition of Erhoff surely contributed, but it would be silly to think that his mentoring did not play a factor.

Him being our best player in his only Canucks playoffs was just gravy.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
An owner of a professional hockey team wouldn't be in the position to own a professional hockey team in the first place if he threw away millions of dollars a year because he liked someone.
My point: ____________

If we don't get something of value the owners won't mind keeping Luongo a little longer because they have a good relationship & he still helps our team win games. A lot more then just getting rid of him for a quantity for quality package.

Last edited by spiny norman: 10-03-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: not needed
Old
10-03-2012, 07:23 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
You're assuming he'll play till 43!?!?! Luongo will retire before this..What goalie has ever played till 43? Was it just Hasek?
He signed a contract to play until he is 43 and the team taking on that contract has to assume he will meet his obligations.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Sundin was actually a great signing for us. Teaching Kesler how to play in the offensive zone and convincing him to shoot the puck more was WELL worth the 5 million IMO. For those who are unaware, Kesler went from being a .5ppg player to just under a ppg player once Sundin arrived.

It also is no coincidence that the Sedins transformed from elite, MVPs the two seasons following Sundin playing with them. Obviously correlation does not imply causation, and other factors such as the addition of Erhoff surely contributed, but it would be silly to think that his mentoring did not play a factor.

Him being our best player in his only Canucks playoffs was just gravy.
THIS.

Quoting it so The Saurus won't brush by it.

Old
CanuckLuck

Quote:
He signed a contract to play until he is 43 and the team taking on that contract has to assume he will meet his obligations.
You're just playing dumb now. Luongo has been quoted as saying he's likely to retire in 4-6 years.

Barring this really strange situation where Luongo plays till he's 43, a team looking to hit the CAP floor and have a mentor like Roberto could also be useful. But I won't debate that any further.

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
If we don't get something of value the owners won't mind keeping Luongo a little longer
By all means, as a fan of the Canucks, keep a disgruntled player sitting on the bench and in the dressing room for an extra third or fourth round pick. Situations such as this have been known to tear dressing rooms apart in the past.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
By all means, as a fan of the Canucks, keep a disgruntled player sitting on the bench and in the dressing room for an extra third or fourth round pick. Situations such as this have been known to tear dressing rooms apart in the past.
Luongo's professionalism since he's been with the Canucks AND the many things he's been quoted saying lead more to the direction that he is willing to play out his time in vancouver until the dust settles. I really don't see a situation where Luongo causes a stink with the Canucks. That is a far-fetched situation at this point.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
He isn't disgruntled! He has said so himself. Oh wait I forgot he is just saying that

I will believe the words that come out of Luongo's mouth about how he feels about the situation over some random HF poster's speculation .

Old
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
If you could list your top 5 players and who acquired or drafted them that'd be great.
Expelled by Burke

Irbe - reliable but unspectacular, though he did have a stanley cups finals run

Manny Legace who went on post .920, .911, .925. .920 seasons immediately following

a 2nd for Kiprusoff, too much if you ask me.

to make room for

Potvin
Snow
Cloutier
Weekes
Brochu
Skudra
Essena
Michaud
Tyler Moss
Hedberg
Auld

I'm just having a hard time picking my starting 5 goalies.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
You mean like a disgruntled Kadri who has said play me or trade me.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Quote?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:23 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

And also, 'unloading' is exactly the point we're trying ot make. SOme teams will gladly accept this contract to meet their CAP requirements.
The NHL is trying to make those deals count against the cap even if the player retires.

If that happens, no one will take Luongo.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The NHL is trying to make those deals count against the cap even if the player retires.

If that happens, no one will take Luongo.
You don't think with a cap hit of 5.3 mil and only being payed 1 mil doesn't appeal to cap floor teams?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Indeed, Nazem Kadri has put himself above the lockout and demanded the Leafs put him in the lineup.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
You don't think with a cap hit of 5.3 mil and only being payed 1 mil doesn't appeal to cap floor teams?
Oh so they can get him so in 6 years they can pay him nothing... They aren't going to make a move so in 6 years his cap hit will help out. He's making more than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
RogerRoeper*

I find it ironic the very fans laughing at the Leafs for giving up first rounders for a 21 year-old star player, now think it's great for the Leafs to do that for a soon-to-be 34 year-old with a decade left on his contract.

Closed Thread