HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leaf fans: would you trade kadri for luongo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
By all means, as a fan of the Canucks, keep a disgruntled player sitting on the bench and in the dressing room for an extra third or fourth round pick. Situations such as this have been known to tear dressing rooms apart in the past.
Fine by us. Seeing as we know our team better than you do, we would know if that were actually a problem.

Luongo and Schneider get along excellently, and both Luongo and Gillis have said they're both willing to start with Luongo on the team. I'd expect a 50-50 split to minimize fatigue, and unless someone is willing to pay fair value for either, they won't be moving.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Oh so they can get him so in 6 years they can pay him nothing... They aren't going to make a move so in 6 years his cap hit will help out. He's making more than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons.
I'm only saying that if he were traded to Toronto, there are lots of options available- have him retire, if that's not an option, bury it in the minors, and if that's not an option, trade him to a cap floor team. Heck, Toronto's rich enough to buy him out if they wanted to.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:40 PM
racerjoe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
It's just speculation at this point that only Florida is involved. And also, the Canucks are quite comfortable starting the season with both Schneider and Luongo. It has already been stated by both sides.
Actually the teams speculated to currently be involved are:
Florida
TO - Burke and Gillis have continued to talk
Edmonton - supposedly have the best offer, but it is unkonw.

Teams that have talked to us that we know of:
SJ
Chicago
Tbay
Columus.

Again there could be more, but that is what has been speculated by people in the know more than me. So you know, real insiders like Lebrun, Bobby Mac, Dregger and so on.

The last two pages of this have been pretty funny.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:40 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
The NHL is trying to make those deals count against the cap even if the player retires.

If that happens, no one will take Luongo.
You are about as wrong as possible. If Luongo retires his contract is a license to print money. Cha-ching. For a team that wants to be below the cap floor - Luongo's contract gives them a cap floor that is 5.3m below everyone elses. You could grab 3 of these types of contracts while going into a deep rebuild - imagine being about to run a $40m payroll around some kids instead of $54m. Wang would wet his pants.

You go from a cap ceiling circumvention contract to a cap floor circumvention contract.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
You are about as wrong as possible. If Luongo retires his contract is a license to print money. Cha-ching. For a team that wants to be below the cap floor - Luongo's contract gives them a cap floor that is 5.3m below everyone elses. You could grab 3 of these types of contracts while going into a deep rebuild - imagine being about to run a $40m payroll around some kids instead of $54m. Wang would wet his pants.

You go from a cap ceiling circumvention contract to a cap floor circumvention contract.
So it's ok to trade him in 2018 then? Luongo and Schneider are ok with that?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Why would Schneider care unless he's GMing by then?

Why would Luongo give a flying **** in a sandstorm what you did with his cap hit after he's retired.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Hawkaholic

..what if there is no longer a cap floor and it doesn't come off when he retires?

Old
10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
No, but for any team looking to acquire Luongo now that is worried about him retiring in the future and counting against their cap can look to that as a solution to that issue.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Oh so they can get him so in 6 years they can pay him nothing... They aren't going to make a move so in 6 years his cap hit will help out. He's making more than his cap hit for the next 6 seasons.
Really?

What's stopping a team from, in 6 years, trading Luongo to a team like Florida?

10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
..what if there is no longer a cap floor and it doesn't come off when he retires?
It'll be a cold day in hell before the NHLPA allows the NHL to abolish the cap floor.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Because a top goalie for a 5.33 cap hit is absurd.

Stop acting like he is a bum, Vancouver would be very pleased to stick with him if they didn't have a better option right behind him.

Few teams can say they wouldn't trade their starter right now with how Schneider has played. But keep acting like Luongo is a bum. Not like an elite team like yours would need another teams junk.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
At some point there are so many what ifs it becomes ridiculous to entertain them.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:52 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
There probably be no ceiling either and its moot.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:53 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Because a top goalie for a 5.33 cap hit is absurd.

Stop acting like he is a bum, Vancouver would be very pleased to stick with him if they didn't have a better option right behind him.

Few teams can say they wouldn't trade their starter right now with how Schneider has played. But keep acting like Luongo is a bum. Not like an elite team like yours would need another teams junk.
I've actually called Luongo a franchise goalie. I'm a big fan. His contract+ the fact very few teams need a goalie sinks his value.

And you can't mention the "Cheap" cap hit of 5.3 million without mentioining it's that low because he's on the books until he's 43. It better be low with that.

His cap hit will be great for a team looking to hit the cap floor in 2018. No one cares or thinks about it. We may be into the next CBA after the next one is signed by then. Who knows what the cap will be.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Really?

What's stopping a team from, in 6 years, trading Luongo to a team like Florida?
You have to worry about trading him now first. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 years.

No one is going to take that contract and not worry because in 6 years...

Old
10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I've actually called Luongo a franchise goalie. I'm a big fan. His contract+ the fact very few teams need a goalie sinks his value.

And you can't mention the "Cheap" cap hit of 5.3 million without mentioining it's that low because he's on the books until he's 43. It better be low with that.

His cap hit will be great for a team looking to hit the cap floor in 2018. No one cares or thinks about it. We may be into the next CBA after the next one is signed by then. Who knows what the cap will be.
Exactly, so why worry about it? The Canucks certainly haven't been winning because they've avoided taking risks. The Canucks haven't been winning because they've used other goalies than Luongo in net for the majority of the past few years. And the Canucks certainly didn't get 1 game away from the Stanley Cup with Luongo in net. Oh wait, maybe they did.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You have to worry about trading him now first. His salary is higher than his cap hit for the next 6 years.

No one is going to take that contract and not worry because in 6 years...
What are you talking about? To a rich team like Toronto, the $6.7M cash expenditure is nothing, especially when you consider the owners would most likely be experiencing something that they haven't since the lockout: playoff revenue.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Lundface

Quote:

Regardless of the offer, every single one is below his actual value. Well below.

And thats expected, but when you tell me that you wouldn't part with Kadri for him, then I don't know what to say.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:58 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

How is this discussion still going?

- Vancouver fans claim they are fine keeping him
- The few other teams kicking tires claim they do not want to pay an absurd price in a deal for a decade long contract

Problem solved: Vancouver, you can enjoy Luongo for the next decade he is signed towards. Everyone else.. move along.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Lundface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post

- The few other teams kicking tires claim they do not want to pay an absurd price in a deal for a decade long contract

Problem solved: Vancouver, you can enjoy Luongo for the next decade he is signed towards. Everyone else.. move along.
As if it will hurt them. Vancouver has been successful recently, how about the Leafs?

Vancouver can easily stay with Luongo, and trade Schneider for a ransom after letting him prove himself to those left out there unconvinced. Then when Luongo slows down, we have Lack. Vancouver isn't the team in need here, but okay.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:03 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

Maybe because the majority of people do not considering a deal structured around Kadri to be absurd. Are you honestly of the opinion that Kadri for Luongo qualifies as an absurd price?

Old
10-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:

Okay by me.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
Maybe because the majority of people do not considering a deal structured around Kadri to be absurd. Are you honestly of the opinion that Kadri for Luongo qualifies as an absurd price?
We think it's absurd, he thinks it's absurd. Nothing more to talk about.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Kadri for Luongo is absurd, to be fair. There's no way I'd ever consider that from the Canucks POV.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
DJOpus

Quote:

Seems reasonable except some fans realize their teams coud desperately use Luongo but just don't want to pay the price.

If the Canucks keep both they likely win their division and are a Cup contenders... as a Canuck fan, I'm cool with that.

Closed Thread