HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

extra time off-- good or bad for Crosby?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
  #1
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 7,048
vCash: 500
extra time off-- good or bad for Crosby?

with the possibility of canceled games, i was wondering if this would be a good or bad thing for crosby?

pros would be that he'll have more time to recover from his injury.

cons are that he will have gone several years now with very minimal in-game experience. he'll be more rusty, but does that matter?

also on a similar note, a big-wig neurologist is having a lunch-time discussion about concussions in sports next week. i want to ask him some good questions that can help us understand more about what happened with sid and the risk of recurrences, so if you come up with something good i'll ask it and post his answer.

my main question right now is risk of recurrences and how time off affects that. people say more time off=better but is that really true?

so let's talk about sid!

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:27 AM
  #2
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,265
vCash: 500
Bad, playing such a small amount of games over the past 3 years would be a negative for any player and it's not like missing more time this season is a guarantee to make his brain any stronger. If he's not sufficiently recovered by now, he's never going to be. This is his 3rd extended layoff since the concussion problems.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:33 AM
  #3
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back
 
needzmoarcleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Time off will obviously help however once you have a concussion or multiple ones you are still going to be more susceptible than your average person. Once the symptoms go away completely your not neccesarily in the clear however it is a positive thing. The time off the ice for him is obviously going to make it harder for him to get into game ready shape. Concussions aren't an exact science and it varys from person to person. I would say this extended time off is probably good for him short term, long term his health is very uncertain who knows when the next hit could lead to reoccuring symptoms or another head injury.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
  #4
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,750
vCash: 500
I'd say it's bad. To me he proved he was fully recovered last playoffs. To go along with that he had a fully healthy off season where he could train to the max (from what we've been told). I don't see how anymore time off will help heal him any further since in my very uneducated opinion he is as healthy as he will be with regards to the head/neck injury.

That said, Sid is a very dedicated trainer so I'm not all that worried about his conditioning levels or rust.

Really the worst thing about Sid being out is for me the fan. I want to watch him play.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
  #5
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Good and bad. It's a mixed bag. Bad because he has not played hardly any hockey now over the past couple of season.

But good because once there is a season with Sid's competition level being as it is... When there finally is hockey it'll be like a shark smelling blood in the water. He will be completely 150% wanting I hit the ice full speed and play. Which is a good thing.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
  #6
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,132
vCash: 934
Good: He can have time off to heal if need be.

Bad: All of this time off will hurt his legacy and put him in the "What If" categories and debates like how we see with Mario.

Worst: We're robbed of the ability to watch him play.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  #7
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Good: He can have time off to heal if need be.

Bad: All of this time off will hurt his legacy and put him in the "What If" categories and debates like how we see with Mario.

Worst: We're robbed of the ability to watch him play.
Well said

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:00 PM
  #8
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Good: He can have time off to heal if need be.

Bad: All of this time off will hurt his legacy and put him in the "What If" categories and debates like how we see with Mario.

Worst: We're robbed of the ability to watch him play.
I agree with all of this but there comes a point where he's gonna be as healed as he's ever gonna be and that time is now imo.

He put in some serious work this offseason and was primed to have a great start.

I really am pissed were losing(probably) another full year of his prime but this time, he is ready and rarin' to go. Thats what makes it more frustrating.

I'll settle for watching him play overseas/world championships though. I just hope he lands someplace that streams/televises the games.

ETA: I meant to ask this but are all the Euro leagues done the time the WC starts? It'll be Olympic'esque this year with the rare cases of players playing in AHL that could play for their country.


Last edited by SidTheKid8787: 10-03-2012 at 03:14 PM.
SidTheKid8787 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
  #9
Saku11
Registered User
 
Saku11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,173
vCash: 500
Just go play somewhere to keep conditioned Sid. I have a feeling if he goes to Russia he will not get a warm welcome there.Swiss or Fin league wold be good.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
  #10
sanitysrequiem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Terrible for his legacy. It's the middle of his prime and the for three years of it, for one reason or another, he hasn't played a full season. He's been scoring at a 135 point clip but hasn't been able to put together that one full season which distinguishes him as one of the best forwards ever. I hope he does it soon.

sanitysrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
  #11
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy
 
ManInTheBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kampuchia
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
When Time off is good, it means you're old, right? Caution, I think, is something on a lot of people's minds. He's missed so much time already. Has anyone come up with how many games he's been sitting for?

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
  #12
Sutter16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
There is NOTHING good for Sid, we will lose some of his prime.It's terrible.He doesn't need to get healthy,he already is. When this stupid lockout gets done. He will be ready.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:34 PM
  #13
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,381
vCash: 500
I'm with, Sutter. He's already healed.


Losing prime years of Sid is really bad. Working on complete season #2 of Sids career of his prime. 1-1/2 years plus this lockout.

I'm getting tired of the would have, could have, should have, with the generational talents over the years. It's a darn shame.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
  #14
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 500
it is terrible. he and Malkin lost enough time in their respective primes. they should play hockey, time passes for everybody.

Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
  #15
Sutter16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
it is terrible. he and Malkin lost enough time in their respective primes. they should play hockey, time passes for everybody.
They will play Hockey this year, it's just of matter of when.IMO we will be playing around American Thanksgiving.And yes we can't forget about Geno's prime too.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
  #16
Fordy
the kid signify
 
Fordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,950
vCash: 500
It'll help with his head but he'll be rusty as all hell.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:06 PM
  #17
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 9,821
vCash: 500
I hope he goes to Europe soon so at least someone will get to see him work his magic.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
  #18
ForzaItalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I agree with all of this but there comes a point where he's gonna be as healed as he's ever gonna be and that time is now imo.

He put in some serious work this offseason and was primed to have a great start.

I really am pissed were losing(probably) another full year of his prime but this time, he is ready and rarin' to go. Thats what makes it more frustrating.

I'll settle for watching him play overseas/world championships though. I just hope he lands someplace that streams/televises the games.

ETA: I meant to ask this but are all the Euro leagues done the time the WC starts? It'll be Olympic'esque this year with the rare cases of players playing in AHL that could play for their country.
What team will insure him with his recent injury woes and why would he risk losing all that money in his new contract by getting injured wearing a KHL, etc jersey?

I don't think he'll play anywhere.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
  #19
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 33,113
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This popped up into my head the other day and I'm split. I think it's perfect for his overall health.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:37 AM
  #20
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
What team will insure him with his recent injury woes and why would he risk losing all that money in his new contract by getting injured wearing a KHL, etc jersey?

I don't think he'll play anywhere.
Brisson has already said he's fielding offers for Sid and Sid himself, said he'll probably go overseas in a month or 2.

SidTheKid8787 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:35 AM
  #21
Slabber Chops
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
with the possibility of canceled games, i was wondering if this would be a good or bad thing for crosby?

pros would be that he'll have more time to recover from his injury.

cons are that he will have gone several years now with very minimal in-game experience. he'll be more rusty, but does that matter?

also on a similar note, a big-wig neurologist is having a lunch-time discussion about concussions in sports next week. i want to ask him some good questions that can help us understand more about what happened with sid and the risk of recurrences, so if you come up with something good i'll ask it and post his answer.

my main question right now is risk of recurrences and how time off affects that. people say more time off=better but is that really true?

so let's talk about sid!
Good thing. Re: The lack of game-time. Form is temporary, class is permanent. I'm unconcerned and I feel that if he was really concerned about it, he'd be in Russia by now.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:38 AM
  #22
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,852
vCash: 500
I think it will be extremely good. He seems to have that Lemieuxitis in which he comes back from injuries in match shape and playing great.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:45 AM
  #23
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 500
Terrible. Losing yet another year of his prime. :/

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 05:17 AM
  #24
Weide
Registered User
 
Weide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Linköping, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I hope he goes to Europe soon so at least someone will get to see him work his magic.
Well, it sure would be cool to see what he can do in an european league. But with his newly signed contract he will cost a small fortune to insure, and i think very few clubs can afford him tbh.

Weide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
  #25
66877168
Registered User
 
66877168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
Lets be optimists and say that extra recovery time will be great for Sid and put this concussion bs to rest for good. Not much else to be optimistic about relating to Uncle Gary's Garage League.

66877168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.