HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mass gainers

Old
10-03-2012, 12:43 AM
sauce9397

vCash: 500
Mass gainers

I entered the season (late August) 5'11" 165 and now I am down 150. During the season it is hard for me to keep my weight up for a variety of reasons (don't have time to cook/eat as much at school-no meal plan, don't have as much time to work out like I do during the summer, etc.)

So my question is, do you think it would be worth my while to use a mass gainer to help keep my weight up? I am on the ice ~5 times a week (competitive club hockey) so I'm definitely burning a lot of calories. I definitely feel a lot weaker playing at 150 than I do at 165 and it's noticeable in the corners and when I'm battling in front of the net in the offensive zone.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 07:29 AM
Happy Fan
nifty

Just get a good quality protein powder with low sugar and drink one every morning when you wake up (50% of your protein intake for the day out of the way), and drink one more after a workout. One shake in the mornings on non-workout days to keep your calorie intake up.

I use Isagenix, its definitely the most delicious powder out there, and it can't be found in stores, it's an online business with speedy shipping, been using it for about a half year now, better than anything i've ever tried.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Stickchecked

I was in your shoes in college when I was a competitive cyclist: Poor student working out a lot without the time and money to eat well. Eating cheap pasta all the time did not cut it.

20 years later, I can look back and say without a doubt that my nutrition held me back, especially the lack of protein in my diet. I take extra protein on a daily basis now and I really notice the difference. I no longer get that fatigue/malaise that I used to get all the time.

So I would definitely supplement with good quality protein shakes. One in the morning, one post-workout are the obvious times. Add more depending on your workouts / recovery needs. You can google how much protein you need in a day but 100g is the right ballpark for an athlete your size. (If maybe a little low)

There is some debate on how much protein can be absorbed per hour so I'm not sure about the idea of getting 50% of your protein in the morning. I've actually started to use half scoops of my 30g shakes and just take protein more frequently.

THIS is the protein shake that I use. Very well reviewed online, tastes great in just water.

As far as "mass gainer" vs regular protein shake, decide how much extra calories your diet needs outside of protein. You're not a body builder, you're a hockey player. But if you are taking in too few calories in general, find a protein with extra non-protein calories to help supplement. The ideal would be to get the bulk of your calories from real food but if you need to supplement, do it.

To be frank, you shouldn't be losing 15 pounds over 2 months while playing hockey. That's a very successful diet, not a description of an athlete working out regularly. I suspect your sense of being weaker is more related to your lack of caloric energy rather than loss of body mass.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Ozz

All mass gainers are, are a load of calories that are easy to consume. Food (calories) is what you need in order to build size. Whole foods and proper nutrition are better than relying solely on supplements, but that's not to say there's no place for them. It's all in how you use them and how you understand them.

Once you gain weight your body needs more calories to sustain it. If you don't keep eating, you'll lose it. This is the same reasoning why countless people take all sorts of weight gainer supplements, get bigger, stop taking them and don't eat properly to support their endeavors, and then they shrink in size.

If you don't replace those supplements with real foods, or continue using those supplements for the caloric surplus, your body has no reason to retain its mass and it'll basically be a pointless venture.

That said, back when I was your weight (5'10" and 155 or so), it took me stuffing food in my face, to the tune of 4000+ calories day in and day out, just to force my body up to 180+. Back then I was no longer playing hockey and was only bodybuilding, but the idea behind mass gain is no different. It takes serious amounts of food to build and retain mass. Weight gainers or not, you'll do yourself a favor to realize this and plan for it.

Or you can do what many serious lifters do and make your own "gainer shakes". My favorite was always 1 cup of raw oats, 2 TBSP of peanut butter, 2 scoops of whey protein blended up in water. 700+ calories, it's real food, it's cheap, and you can drink it down easily though with a rough texture at times. Beats the hell out of what they charge for weight gainers, and it'll help your body get used to handling all those 'real' calories as well which again helps for your future when you'll need to be used to handling more every day anyway.

For "credential" purposes, I've trained and taught countless in and out of the gym both for lifting and nutritional purposes for the past 10 years. These people would range from teenagers who "can't gain weight" and have no idea what it entails to 50+ year old women to professional wrestlers who had been lifting most of their lives.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:32 AM
McDugan

a pint of greek yogurt every day (not cheap, but i'd rather spend my money on whole foods than protein powder).

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDugan View Post
a pint of greek yogurt every day (not cheap, but i'd rather spend my money on whole foods than protein powder).
Not cheap is putting it mildly. Greek yogurt has a lot more protein than regular yogurt or other goods, but a 500g container has just under 45g of protein according to this (link to nutritional data towards bottom). So you're talking about a tub of yogurt, not one of those serving sizes. That's a lot of yogurt to handle on a daily basis.

I agree, whole foods are always preferred, but you do the best you can with what you have. Limited time and money requires compromise.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Ozz

I knew a guy years ago who would take a cheap ~$1 loaf of white bread, make (natural) peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, pack them back into the bag, and carry it around all day chowing down. That'll help throw down the calories in easy & cheap fashion!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
All mass gainers are, are a load of calories that are easy to consume. Food (calories) is what you need in order to build size. Whole foods and proper nutrition are better than relying solely on supplements, but that's not to say there's no place for them. It's all in how you use them and how you understand them.

Once you gain weight your body needs more calories to sustain it. If you don't keep eating, you'll lose it. This is the same reasoning why countless people take all sorts of weight gainer supplements, get bigger, stop taking them and don't eat properly to support their endeavors, and then they shrink in size.

If you don't replace those supplements with real foods, or continue using those supplements for the caloric surplus, your body has no reason to retain its mass and it'll basically be a pointless venture.

That said, back when I was your weight (5'10" and 155 or so), it took me stuffing food in my face, to the tune of 4000+ calories day in and day out, just to force my body up to 180+. Back then I was no longer playing hockey and was only bodybuilding, but the idea behind mass gain is no different. It takes serious amounts of food to build and retain mass. Weight gainers or not, you'll do yourself a favor to realize this and plan for it.

Or you can do what many serious lifters do and make your own "gainer shakes". My favorite was always 1 cup of raw oats, 2 TBSP of peanut butter, 2 scoops of whey protein blended up in water. 700+ calories, it's real food, it's cheap, and you can drink it down easily though with a rough texture at times. Beats the hell out of what they charge for weight gainers, and it'll help your body get used to handling all those 'real' calories as well which again helps for your future when you'll need to be used to handling more every day anyway.
This.

There's nothing magic about mass gainers. It's just an easy way to get your calories and hit your macros. I also make my own, you save a lot of money.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Thesensation19

First off,
I strongly believe that supplements or weight/mass gainers or pills or what have you is most likely doing more harm to your body than good. You have to be REALLY careful in looking at ingredients more than what the product is looking to provide you. And i believe in more strongly that you should aim to go for the natural sources of protein, fats, carbs and vitamins. Studies have shown that a vitamin pill is not exactly the same as obtaining vitamins from a natural source, humans are not perfect so dont expect for us to develop a pill that perfectly mimics a vitamins affects so imagine this study on a more complex supplement like weight gainers or what ever.

Second off,
There is one thing to say you have no time for the gym but do not talk about having no time for working out. Muscle mass can be gained and and your muscle fibers can be strengthen by simply doing stuff like push ups, squats, crunches, pull ups and all that can be done in your dorms. Do 50 squats then 20 push ups and then 50 crunches and if you can throw in some pull ups and all that can be done in 5-10 minutes. DO that before or after bed every day and right there you will be improving your body. Jagr has been doing 200 squats a DAY since he was 14 years old. Herschell Walker lives his workouts never touching weights, only turning simple manuevers into complex work outs and only eats soup and salad daily and he is a monster. He went from nerdy middle school boy to highschool, college and pro football player stardom because of his routine. Now hes 50 years old KOing people in StrikeForce (MMA).

Professional Hockey players will admit that gaining muscle has never really helped them in the sport. Its only given them extra mass to move around on the ice and slows them down. This is not ideal in hockey to just gain mass, but of course you want to still strengthen your muscles and core and improve your balance but at the same time keep your speed. Working out with weights wont necessarily make you a better athlete. Do workouts that you can do 10-20 minutes a day that will help you strengthen your legs, and core and improve your balance and you wont need to gain mass in order to be productive in the corners.

Crosby has no problem getting pass the biggest and baddest of defenders, neither did Gretzky, because they worked on their technique and their skating. They worked on their edge work and balance and are taking on guys who are well over 220lbs.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

Just eat more. Precook your meals when you have time. Chicken breast, ground turkey, fish, and eat constsntly

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

One gallon of whole milk every day.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
First off,
I strongly believe that supplements or weight/mass gainers or pills or what have you is most likely doing more harm to your body than good. You have to be REALLY careful in looking at ingredients more than what the product is looking to provide you. And i believe in more strongly that you should aim to go for the natural sources of protein, fats, carbs and vitamins. Studies have shown that a vitamin pill is not exactly the same as obtaining vitamins from a natural source, humans are not perfect so dont expect for us to develop a pill that perfectly mimics a vitamins affects so imagine this study on a more complex supplement like weight gainers or what ever.
This is a bit of a straw man. No one is advocating taking an array of supplements. The issue is supplementing an inadequate diet that has led to losing 15 pounds in 2 months.

And I think everyone should be taking a straight forward multivitamin. I haven't read a single negative word against this. OF COURSE, nutrition coming from real food is always preferred. But let's be honest, 90% of the food available to us in restaurants and grocery stores has been seriously compromised via overprocessing, pesticide use and genetic modification. And some vitamin quantities are very difficult to get naturally, Vitamin D being one example.

But I agree, the vast array of supplements out there are unproven, a waste of money and potentially harmful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Professional Hockey players will admit that gaining muscle has never really helped them in the sport. Its only given them extra mass to move around on the ice and slows them down. This is not ideal in hockey to just gain mass, but of course you want to still strengthen your muscles and core and improve your balance but at the same time keep your speed. Working out with weights wont necessarily make you a better athlete. Do workouts that you can do 10-20 minutes a day that will help you strengthen your legs, and core and improve your balance and you wont need to gain mass in order to be productive in the corners.
The OP is describing an issue with weight he's lost since August, not the inability to add muscle. I agree there is no need to fixate on bulking up for hockey. But the OP needs to maintain, if not his body mass, then definitely his strength. And that requires sufficient protein and calories.

As I've said before, one has to do the best one can with what they've got. OP is a poor college student trying to get by with no meal plan.

I will say, as a cyclist, I lived and died by my school's meal plan. At my school it was all you can eat and I would spend hours there for each meal, reading, studying, or just chatting with friends. I would have meals with multiple tables, joining one as the first one left.

If it's financially possible, the OP might want to look into signing up for one. Might not be much more expensive than adding protein powder to your diet.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:09 PM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

eat more meets and eggs.

Push your self at the gym. break those muscles down and gain some msucle mass.

bring a friend to spot you

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:34 AM
brom7

Eat your meat. Always finish your meals. Invest in some Branch-Chained Amino Acids. It rebuilds muscle right after you skate.

Don't base your game on your weight or your size. If there's one thing I can tell you about getting better at hockey, it's that I'd rather stickhandle for 30 minutes or shoot 200 pucks then bench press. Skills are more important than what you bench press. You can't bench press your way to 50 goals. I heard that somewhere

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:07 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
+1

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Milk is about as basic a nutrition source as it gets. It is supposed to help baby animals grow and get bigger and stronger. It's got calories, protein, carbs, and fat. It has the amino acids. It's liquid so you can take in more calories quickly.

Seriously, google GOMAD, especially with the starting strength and bodybuilding guys. People have gained 30+ pounds in a few months on it. It costs $2-3 a day, is all natural, and contains nothing to hurt the body unless you are lactose intolerant.

Just make sure it's WHOLE milk, not skim or low fat. Unless you start getting fat, then you can try dropping down to lower fat milk or drink less.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:35 PM
LyNX27

For those on the "Milk Train", something to consider.

http://www.everydayliving.com/archiv...about_milk.htm

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Mattb124

What do real doctors have to say on the subject?

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Obviously if you're lactose intolerant GOMAD is a bad idea, but most people (especially in North America) do just fine.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:58 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Phhhhewwww! Pasteurized? I feel bad for your insides...

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote