HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Softest NHL Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
  #201
Bruise Bros 2426
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
No.
Agreed. Quincey doesn't consistently play physical and he rarely fights. Between Bertuzzi, Quincey, and Ericsson, don't expect more than 10 fights.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
  #202
STain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Forum: Hockey fights

It is very relevant, but not the only reason Buffalo is soft.
Thread title: Softest NHL Team not worst NHL team at fighting.

Oh and if the Lucic hit on Miller is one of your reasons for Buffalo being the softest team in the league, Cooke's hit on Savard says hi.

STain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  #203
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Re: the Leafs, I don't expect us to dress a heavyweight on a regular basis this year. Our centres will be Bozak, Grabo, and two of Connolly/McClement/Steckel, zero fighting there. Our wingers will probably be something like Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Mac, Kulemin, Kadri, Frattin and Brown. Brown is really the only fighter there, with guys like Lupul or Mac dropping them in an absolute pinch, but not on any sort of regular basis.

On d we should have two big guys who can hit (Phaneuf and Komi), as well as a softer big guy (Franson), but no fighters. Phaneuf and Komi will drop them once in awhile, but neither are very good at it.

Overall we'll likely be one of the worst fighting teams in the league, maybe the worst period (again, assuming we don't dress guys like Orr or Rosehill on a regular basis, which I think is a safe assumption). In terms of hitting we'll be a bit below average, but not bad. Phaneuf is one of the better hitters in the league, Komi is quite a good hitter too, Brown loves to play physical, Frattin can really lay guys out when he does hit (which wasn't often enough in his rookie year, but hopefully that changes). Guys like JVR, Steckel, Franson, Bozak, Lupul, McClement, etc. will all hit a bit too, though none are anything close to being punishing players.

We definitely lost some toughness on d by trading Schenn (meh fighter, great hitter) and Aulie (good fighter, good hitter). I didn't disagree with either trade, but purely from a toughness point of view we should be a bit softer than last year, and we were already one of the softest teams in the league.
Steckel can fight and he put up 170 registered hits. The guy is 6'5. He throws his weight and someone is mad at him, he'll probably go with them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 01:53 PM
  #204
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by STain View Post
Thread title: Softest NHL Team not worst NHL team at fighting.

Oh and if the Lucic hit on Miller is one of your reasons for Buffalo being the softest team in the league, Cooke's hit on Savard says hi.
Yeah because Boston hasn't changed since then

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 08:38 PM
  #205
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Yeah because Boston hasn't changed since then
You can say the same thing about Buffalo since the Miller hit.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:32 PM
  #206
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
You can say the same thing about Buffalo since the Miller hit.
Because they added a goon and an agitator while losing the one guy who would stand up for his goalie? Team mentallity is still the same and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:02 AM
  #207
Iceonfire
Registered User
 
Iceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,837
vCash: 500
People say that the Oil are soft, I disagree. Although they certainly need to add some grit they are far from being the softest.

Ryan Smyth may not drop gloves with you right away. But if you hit one of the kids.....3 games later you will get a stick to the face and he'll tell you why lol.

And Eager can be one of the dirtiest players in the NHL. Ask any Canuck fan.
Also Sutton is just so much fun to watch when he feels like getting suspended.

For the softest, Detroit was up there. But now I would say Tampa or Washington.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:53 AM
  #208
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Because they added a goon and an agitator while losing the one guy who would stand up for his goalie? Team mentallity is still the same and looks like it will be for the foreseeable future.

Team mentality is where they are improving. Getting rid of Roy and adding Ott. Then you add in all the youngbucks coming through the ranks (tropp, girgs, mcnabb, foligno etc...). All of whom weren't in the line up that game. It's ridiculous to think they'll be the same team they were last November.

It's obvious you have a hatred towards the Sabres. I hold the same hatred towards the Bruins. It's not even worth arguing anymore.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:12 AM
  #209
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Team mentality is where they are improving. Getting rid of Roy and adding Ott. Then you add in all the youngbucks coming through the ranks (tropp, girgs, mcnabb, foligno etc...). All of whom weren't in the line up that game. It's ridiculous to think they'll be the same team they were last November.

It's obvious you have a hatred towards the Sabres. I hold the same hatred towards the Bruins. It's not even worth arguing anymore.
Ott is the last player the Sabres needed. He is another agitator. It affirms their mentallity. They are still an agitating team, which is a huge part of their soft identity.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 11:53 AM
  #210
newfy
Registered User
 
newfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Ott is the last player the Sabres needed. He is another agitator. It affirms their mentallity. They are still an agitating team, which is a huge part of their soft identity.
I wouldnt consider agitating physical players as making a team soft, theyll all drop the gloves a bit and throw the weight around plenty. You add Ott and Scott, plus Tropp, Foligno, Mcnabb to a lineup and youre tougher. This thread isnt just about pure fighting, its about physicality and how hard a team is to play against. Ott definitely improves Buffalo

I know Bruins and Sabres don't get along and you guys have your biases but Buffalo is not a soft team anymore no matter how you want to spin it.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  #211
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
I don't get it. Sabres are no where near the softest team. Carolina, Tampa, Red Wings all come to mind.

Ott, Scott, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, will all fight. As opposed to like Anthony Stewart and Gleason on Carolina....Abdelkader on the wings, and Ryan Malone on the Lightning

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:05 PM
  #212
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I don't get it. Sabres are no where near the softest team. Carolina, Tampa, Red Wings all come to mind.

Ott, Scott, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, will all fight. As opposed to like Anthony Stewart and Gleason on Carolina....Abdelkader on the wings, and Ryan Malone on the Lightning
Myers fights ? He may be tremendously skilled, but he has the fighting prowess of a Hal Gill ffs.

Gleason doesn't fight much, but he's tough as nails. Same with Anthony.

Regehr doesn't fight much. Scott will rarely play and Ott either runs, or picks on players who don't fight.

I think that's why someone thinks they're "soft" Personally, I don't. IMO in the Northeast Toronto/ Ottawa is the softest.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:09 PM
  #213
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack
 
MichiganWolverines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Myers fights ? He may be tremendously skilled, but he has the fighting prowess of a Hal Gill ffs.

Gleason doesn't fight much, but he's tough as nails. Same with Anthony.

Regehr doesn't fight much. Scott will rarely play and Ott either runs, or picks on players who don't fight.

I think that's why someone thinks they're "soft" Personally, I don't. IMO in the Northeast Toronto/ Ottawa is the softest.
Tyler Myers has some fighting majors when he was in the WHL but you're right he rarely fights.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 12:10 AM
  #214
STain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Yeah because Boston hasn't changed since then
And why can't Buffalo?

STain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
  #215
Bob Kudelski
Registered User
 
Bob Kudelski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I don't get it. Sabres are no where near the softest team. Carolina, Tampa, Red Wings all come to mind.

Ott, Scott, Kaleta, Regehr, Myers, will all fight. As opposed to like Anthony Stewart and Gleason on Carolina....Abdelkader on the wings, and Ryan Malone on the Lightning
Don't forget Cody McCormick. One tough SOB.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
  #216
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Myers fights ? He may be tremendously skilled, but he has the fighting prowess of a Hal Gill ffs.

Gleason doesn't fight much, but he's tough as nails. Same with Anthony.

Regehr doesn't fight much. Scott will rarely play and Ott either runs, or picks on players who don't fight.

I think that's why someone thinks they're "soft" Personally, I don't. IMO in the Northeast Toronto/ Ottawa is the softest.
Yup. Buffalo is far from the broad street bullies, but they have players who aren't afraid to get their nose dirty. I guess you can say they have grit.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
  #217
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I wouldnt consider agitating physical players as making a team soft, theyll all drop the gloves a bit and throw the weight around plenty. You add Ott and Scott, plus Tropp, Foligno, Mcnabb to a lineup and youre tougher. This thread isnt just about pure fighting, its about physicality and how hard a team is to play against. Ott definitely improves Buffalo

I know Bruins and Sabres don't get along and you guys have your biases but Buffalo is not a soft team anymore no matter how you want to spin it.
A style where you play with your mouth absolutely makes your team soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STain View Post
And why can't Buffalo?
Bruins already changed. Buffalo has shown no significant steps of changing their style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Yup. Buffalo is far from the broad street bullies, but they have players who aren't afraid to get their nose dirty. I guess you can say they have grit.
Every hockey team in history has had some grit.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
  #218
STain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Bruins already changed. Buffalo has shown no significant steps of changing their style.
Yeah its not like they havn't been drafting bigger and more physical players over the last 3 or so years. Or added Regehr last offseason or Ott this offseason. Regardless of what you think of Ott he still plays a physical game.

STain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
  #219
BlackNgold 84
Registered User
 
BlackNgold 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
A style where you play with your mouth absolutely makes your team soft.



Bruins already changed. Buffalo has shown no significant steps of changing their style.

Every hockey team in history has had some grit.
Come on man.. i agree with a lot of what you say at times.. this.. I can't go with. You don't get john scott to improve your pp.. no he won't see that much ice time. But when the bruins and sabres play.. he'll be in the line up. Ott has made them have more of an edge.. is he tough.. no but he's a dingleberry who will piss some players off. I'm happy the sabres got these two players. When they finally play it will be more of a rivalry. Samething for the habs this season.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:14 PM
  #220
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,805
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by STain View Post
Yeah its not like they havn't been drafting bigger and more physical players over the last 3 or so years. Or added Regehr last offseason or Ott this offseason. Regardless of what you think of Ott he still plays a physical game.
Regehr in Grier out. Ott in Gaustad out. Ott is an agitator, Gaustad was your toughest player last year. Wrong direction there. Shouldn't be so confident in your drafting. Doubt these guys make an impact for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Come on man.. i agree with a lot of what you say at times.. this.. I can't go with. You don't get john scott to improve your pp.. no he won't see that much ice time. But when the bruins and sabres play.. he'll be in the line up. Ott has made them have more of an edge.. is he tough.. no but he's a dingleberry who will piss some players off. I'm happy the sabres got these two players. When they finally play it will be more of a rivalry. Samething for the habs this season.

I said style. Ott plays Ruff's style. They changed some players, but will keep the same style Ruff has maintained for years.

Anyways Scott will barely play. An enforcer was needed desperately, so that was necessary, but come on...will he play enough to make a soft team tough? Unlikely and Ott plays on an edge. But a Marchand-like edge. Marchand does not make the Bruins tougher. Agitators jobs are to dive and yap. They make teams soft and Ott adds to a surplus of that in Buffalo.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:46 PM
  #221
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
I don't see how being an agitator makes Ott soft. I don't see how 107 NHL fights makes Ott soft. I don't see how fighting the likes of Carcillo, Iginla and Neil make Ott soft. The guy's an annoying ****, but he will back it up when necessary.

I don't think Buffalo is going to be the pinko pushovers that some (well, one) are making them out to be.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:33 PM
  #222
STain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 42
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Regehr in Grier out. Ott in Gaustad out. Ott is an agitator, Gaustad was your toughest player last year. Wrong direction there.
If you feel that its the wrong direction thats fine. But it was time for a different one and thats why Gaustad and Roy are no longer with the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian
Shouldn't be so confident in your drafting. Doubt these guys make an impact for a while.
The only reason I mentioned the drafting was because they already started to make an impact last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
I said style. Ott plays Ruff's style. They changed some players, but will keep the same style Ruff has maintained for years.

Anyways Scott will barely play. An enforcer was needed desperately, so that was necessary, but come on...will he play enough to make a soft team tough? Unlikely and Ott plays on an edge. But a Marchand-like edge. Marchand does not make the Bruins tougher. Agitators jobs are to dive and yap. They make teams soft and Ott adds to a surplus of that in Buffalo.
They didn't need an enforcer that will be in the line-up every night, they already have McCormick for that. What they need is someone thats physical and willing to drop the gloves and can also play in the top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
I don't see how being an agitator makes Ott soft. I don't see how 107 NHL fights makes Ott soft. I don't see how fighting the likes of Carcillo, Iginla and Neil make Ott soft. The guy's an annoying ****, but he will back it up when necessary.

I don't think Buffalo is going to be the pinko pushovers that some (well, one) are making them out to be.
Thats how I feel about Ott. Are him and Marchand both agitators? Yep. But Ott is also in the top of the league in hits every season and does quite a bit of fighting.

STain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  #223
LeanBeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Anyone mention LA?

Other than Clifford, King, Nolan, and Greene most of they don't have much toughness.

I'd put them on the same level as Vancouver.. Or slightly lower, as Vancouver only has Kassian, Bieksa, Volpatti, and Desbiens. Weise, Lapierre, and Ballard occasionally drop em but don't usually win (other than Ballard who usually goes against top six guys)

Clifford vs Kassian-Draw (Kassian Beat clifford 3 times in junior)
Desbiens vs Greene-Desbiens wins
Nolan vs Weise- Nolan with the win
Volpatti vs King- Slight edge King
Ballard vs Fraser- Ballard wins
Brown/Richards vs Bieksa- Bieksa wins

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
  #224
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBeef View Post
Anyone mention LA?

Other than Clifford, King, Nolan, and Greene most of they don't have much toughness.

I'd put them on the same level as Vancouver.. Or slightly lower, as Vancouver only has Kassian, Bieksa, Volpatti, and Desbiens. Weise, Lapierre, and Ballard occasionally drop em but don't usually win (other than Ballard who usually goes against top six guys)

Clifford vs Kassian-Draw (Kassian Beat clifford 3 times in junior)
Desbiens vs Greene-Desbiens wins
Nolan vs Weise- Nolan with the win
Volpatti vs King- Slight edge King
Ballard vs Fraser- Ballard wins
Brown/Richards vs Bieksa- Bieksa wins
LA also has Kevin Westgarth who you conveniently didn't mention since he would easily beat anyone on Vancouver.

And Willie Mitchell will occassionally fight. Point is, Los Angeles is not even close to being soft. They are one of the more physical teams I would say.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
  #225
LeanBeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
LA also has Kevin Westgarth who you conveniently didn't mention since he would easily beat anyone on Vancouver.

And Willie Mitchell will occassionally fight. Point is, Los Angeles is not even close to being soft. They are one of the more physical teams I would say.
How could I forget Wesgarth. But yeah I agree, he can probably destroy every Canuck player. The closest he'll get to a solid fight would be against Desbiens.

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.