HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Disagree.....somewhat. I can go to any game in NY and not have a sold out arena, if 20% of non season ticket holding fans were to actually boycott or cut back, that would speak volumes. If enough pissed off people, in other have markets were to hold back, the owners and the leauge would get punished.....and it would speak volumes.
If, If, If,. If your aunt had balls she be your uncle. In have markets demand for tickets exceeds supply. Having STH forfeit their tickets in significant numbers ( many of who had to wait to acquire them) those seats wouldn't have the chance to get cold before someone was willing to step in. if the same 20 % of STH in have not markets walk way we have about another half dozen phoenix's. So essentially anything is on the table including fans having their teams ripped from them to sate your need for watching hockey on your terms ? lets just take the weakest six teams and instead of giving a big FU to the league lets get all of the have fans to give a big FU to the fans in these small market teams and laugh as their teams wither and die so that I get to watch games in october.

I dont like work stoppages either but if they are intended to promote league stability I'm all for them. If this stoppage results in increased support for the smaller teams from the bigger teams ( and not off the backs of the players, again) then as unpalatable as it is currently , its a medicine worth taking.

If the new CBA does not have revenue sharing, you do know that the day it expires another work stoppage ensues, right ?

Old
10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
mobilus
Age Quod Agis

Since the season ticket thing started with me, I'll pipe in my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
It is my position that in the have markets ( lets say Tor/NYR/Mtl) a boycott will not affect their bottom line one red cent. Agree or not?
Disagree. Going by Toronto (which I'm most familiar), I know people holding season tickets that have been in their family since the Gardens went up in the 1930s. I know people who've held season tickets personally for the last 30 years. Yes if those fans drop their season tickets then others will scoop them up. However, this would set off alarm bells for the Leaf owners. If I owned the team, I'd rather have STH's who've been buying my product for generations than someone new, because I have no track record that the someone new will be still buying tickets in five years. Toronto's about as solid a lock for ticket sales as any rink in the league, but if generational fans are lost, the team would eventually have to actually spend money to ensure new holders are roped in long enough to get their kids buying tickets once they grow up.

Twenty years ago it was incredibly difficult to find a Blue Jays ticket. The Jays sold out because they were winning. It can be argued the SkyDome sellouts stopped with the Jays on-field decline. It can be argued the sellouts stopped because of the '94-95 strike. And it can be argued the Jays hadn't been around long enough to establish a legacy base of STH's that crossed over for generations. Legacy customers do not need advertising to get them into seats, they do not need a winning club (as the Leafs have proven). They're there because of nostalgia. If a club like the Leafs ever loses that, it's entirely possible they may never get it back. Any backlash from long standing STH's would trigger alarm bells with the Toronto brass. I know people aren't ready for taking the step of dropping their season tickets. But if things ever go that far, it's the strongest warning possible for the owners.

Quote:
So for the sake of of long term league stability (presumably evidenced by lack of labor strife) you want to exacerbate the fundamental underlying problem of revenue discrepancy of the have and have nots and if this means that you literally push some teams off the cliff then this is an acceptable trade off so long as it does not interrupt your ability to watch games at your convenience? Really?
Why should fans put up with labour disruptions every seven years because of revenue discrepancies between the owners of have and have-not teams? There were never such problems when it was a 21 team league. Maybe some of the have-not teams are should-not-be teams. Why should part of a $250 Leaf ticket go to support a club which doesn't have sufficient hockey interest from their own population? Why don't the Leafs just drop their prices 20% and I'll send a $50 cheque every game directly to Phoenix or Atlanta or Columbus? This isn't about necessary social programs that will feed children or tend to the sick, it's about a promoted obligation to subsidize out of town billionaires that most fans will never know or meet.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:09 PM
exchequer

I'll try my best to lock out the NHL as best as I can...

If a single NHL game is cancelled by the lockout, I vow to not purchase a ticket this season and
I will not purchase any NHL affilitated merchandise. When the season returns, we'll see how I feel but I will never forget.

-NHL Boycott-
"we haven't forgotten 2005 and we will never forget 2012"

Old
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilus View Post
Since the season ticket thing started with me, I'll pipe in my two cents.

Disagree. Going by Toronto (which I'm most familiar), I know people holding season tickets that have been in their family since the Gardens went up in the 1930s. I know people who've held season tickets personally for the last 30 years. Yes if those fans drop their season tickets then others will scoop them up. However, this would set off alarm bells for the Leaf owners. If I owned the team, I'd rather have STH's who've been buying my product for generations than someone new, because I have no track record that the someone new will be still buying tickets in five years. Toronto's about as solid a lock for ticket sales as any rink in the league, but if generational fans are lost, the team would eventually have to actually spend money to ensure new holders are roped in long enough to get their kids buying tickets once they grow up.

Twenty years ago it was incredibly difficult to find a Blue Jays ticket. The Jays sold out because they were winning. It can be argued the SkyDome sellouts stopped with the Jays on-field decline. It can be argued the sellouts stopped because of the '94-95 strike. And it can be argued the Jays hadn't been around long enough to establish a legacy base of STH's that crossed over for generations. Legacy customers do not need advertising to get them into seats, they do not need a winning club (as the Leafs have proven). They're there because of nostalgia. If a club like the Leafs ever loses that, it's entirely possible they may never get it back. Any backlash from long standing STH's would trigger alarm bells with the Toronto brass. I know people aren't ready for taking the step of dropping their season tickets. But if things ever go that far, it's the strongest warning possible for the owners.

Sure if it is one to one but it is not, if you have leafs season tickets there are many people ( or companies) who would gladly take your position should you decide to leave. I really think that the owners don't care whose buts are in the seats, as long as the butts are there. Until empty seats start showing up in tor and mtl there is not much of a problem and I don't anticipate this happening for any reasonable situation.

The leafs are pretty much immune to many of the market forces that many other teams face, no playoffs for the entirety of the last cba and STILL the most coveted ticket in the city. I'm all for nostalgia but people didn't bail when they left the gardens. Even if the leafs suffer a slight amount it's nothing but a scratch whereas the same loss of revenue to some of the have not teams is a fatal blow. Honestly the leafs have had some horrible ownership and prolonged periods of futility and that could not reduce demand.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
noupf

Quote:
If, If, If,. If your aunt had balls she be your uncle. In have markets demand for tickets exceeds supply. Having STH forfeit their tickets in significant numbers ( many of who had to wait to acquire them) those seats wouldn't have the chance to get cold before someone was willing to step in. if the same 20 % of STH in have not markets walk way we have about another half dozen phoenix's. So essentially anything is on the table including fans having their teams ripped from them to sate your need for watching hockey on your terms ? lets just take the weakest six teams and instead of giving a big FU to the league lets get all of the have fans to give a big FU to the fans in these small market teams and laugh as their teams wither and die so that I get to watch games in october.

I dont like work stoppages either but if they are intended to promote league stability I'm all for them. If this stoppage results in increased support for the smaller teams from the bigger teams ( and not off the backs of the players, again) then as unpalatable as it is currently , its a medicine worth taking.

If the new CBA does not have revenue sharing, you do know that the day it expires another work stoppage ensues, right ?
First, I have never advocated that there would be no revenue sharing for smaller market teams. However, if a smaller market team cant survive with the added revenue sharing, than its time to go. I'm not here to support dying teams that have no business being where they are located.

Second, you are advocating that the lock out is the medice that needs to be administered......its been administered 3 times in 17 years and the sickness still comes back. Maybe the medice needs to be a boycott by the fans saying enough is enough. The point here is that the NHL and the NHLPA had ample time to get this done and it has resulted in another work stoppage.

Third, its obvious that you will be one of those who will run back as soon as the first puck is dropped. Whether it be 3 months lost to a lock out or potentially an entire season. Thats good though, the leauge is banking on you and everybody like you to come running back with money in hand.

Done with you.

Here ya go....

Last edited by noupf: 10-03-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 11:34 PM
SilverHaireDevil

Hockey fans, try telling your wife/girlfriend she is cut off as far as the bedroom goes, then wait and see who caves first.

This is the scenario you are attempting to threaten the NHL with and they know it.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
Hockey fans, try telling your wife/girlfriend she is cut off as far as the bedroom goes, then wait and see who caves first.

This is the scenario you are attempting to threaten the NHL with and they know it.
I'd go and sleep with another woman (aka watch another sport).

Nice analogy by the way!

Old
10-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Confucius

I'm not watching NFL for 2 years because they locked out the refs and used scabs. That'll teach them.

Nevermind that I'm boycotting the NBA for one more season because of their lockout. Baseball I refuse to watch until the stolen Expos comeback. Next......

Last edited by Confucius: 10-04-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old
10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
How about this, maybe a fan rally outside NHL headquarters. Just like the Occupy Wall Street movement, maybe get every hockey fans everywhere to come to New York and start a protest. The more numbers the better.

Maybe even be Canucks for a day.
Yeah this is what I want. This along with a signed petition may actually get press. We the fans need to show BEFORE the lockout ends that this is not acceptable. After the lockout ends we will go back to watching hockey because we love the game.

If we could get even a thousand to protest in front of the NHL headquarters, that might increase pressure. Or it would at least get some press and the league would have to address the fans. I know it's unlikely to happen but you have to figure at least a few thousand Ranger fans could show up no problem. I live in Cleveland but I'd drive to NYC for a mass protest some weekend.

Is there a NHLPA headquarters? There should be a protest at both.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yeah this is what I want. This along with a signed petition may actually get press. We the fans need to show BEFORE the lockout ends that this is not acceptable. After the lockout ends we will go back to watching hockey because we love the game.

If we could get even a thousand to protest in front of the NHL headquarters, that might increase pressure. Or it would at least get some press and the league would have to address the fans. I know it's unlikely to happen but you have to figure at least a few thousand Ranger fans could show up no problem. I live in Cleveland but I'd drive to NYC for a mass protest some weekend.

Is there a NHLPA headquarters? There should be a protest at both.
I'm sure the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils fans can do their part. Most hockey fans are in Canada so my question is whether they can make the trip down to NYC. I live in Toronto and I would be more than happy to make the trip down and protest. Whatever needs to be done to have the fan's voice heard. Heck us hockey fans should "lock them in the room" until they get a deal done.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Free*

Here's how we hit them where it hurts: we vow to not only not purchase league merch, but any product produced by an NHL sponsor. Including but not limited to Molson, Tim hortons, rexall, Pepsi etc etc

See how the league likes it when they have advertisers threatening to pull sponsorship.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Stryker Island

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

I strongly urge everyone to vote 'No' to TSN's poll question: "Will you return to following NHL hockey when the work stoppage is over?"

Let's try and put some pressure on both sides. Probably won't amount to anything, but worth a click.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Dr Beinfest

Well how about everyone starts making **** trend on the ever-powerful Twitter?

#LockoutTheNHL

Even better, stop posting on their twitter feed or on their Facebook.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:51 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker Island View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

I strongly urge everyone to vote 'No' to TSN's poll question: "Will you return to following NHL hockey when the work stoppage is over?"

Let's try and put some pressure on both sides. Probably won't amount to anything, but worth a click.
Sorry, I voted yes. Let's be realistic, I'm not going to abandon hockey.

Voting on polls and throwing boycotts and protests is unrealistic - unless a group of us actually showed up at the players' homes. But how many of you would actually do that?

Twitter is also unrealistic. Stop with the slacktivism. If you want to get hockey back, get in the faces of the people who are refusing to play, on the street. Take it to another level.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
iceblue

I just called the NHL offices to leave a message for GB about just how pissed I am as a long time fan. Of course I got a message that his mailbox is full. Guess I was not the only one with that tactic today.

The last lockout seemed inevitable. This one seemed so avoidable.

I will not purchase any NHL merchandise this year but that likely really hurts the manufactors and the retailers more than anybody. I was planning to go to the Winter Classic but am starting to make other plans instead.

I for one, believe that Gary has to go. He may be doing a good job for the owners but repeated lockouts indicate his "take it or leave it" style. The NHL tried to shove the partnership idea down our throats during the last lockout and that was just lies obviously.

The answer seems to be a 50/50 cut like many are proposing but I do not believe the owners should be able to reneg on the multimillion dollar contracts they signed already and in recent months. I doubt any of us would like to sign a contract in July/Aug/Sept and then be told "whoops, offered to pay you too much, got to reduce that significantly before you start lol"

Right now I am seething mad at both sides but more so for at the NHL for deciding that lockout after lockout with wild spending and CBA circumvision by owners in between is the way to run a league. Seems very bush league to me.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

I have locked the NHL out of my wallet as long as Buttman is running things!

Eff You Gary!

Old
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

At least the NHL offices have numbers. Where's the NHLPA's number? I wanna talk to a Fehr, or one of the players, and tell them exactly how I feel

Old
10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Space Herpe
Arch Duke of Raleigh

What if a fan boycott/strike really took hold?

The following is from this article: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-42525

The important part is the bottom, the money totaling.

Quote:
I am a Minnesota native that currently lives in Manhattan editing for an soccer channel. Yes, a soccer channel. Being from MN, and needing hockey on a daily basis to stay mentally healthy (man I miss the Modes #9 North Stars days) I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM GOING TO DO THIS WINTER. I moved out to NYC in February and was lucky enough to catch the Devils/Rangers run.

I figured that living in NYC and watching my team would be costly. BUT since there is no NHL season, I'll save a lot of cheddar.

Here are the expenses that I calculated (please keep in mind that I didn't include the costs of a long SCF run the WILD would have made (jokes)) and also **NOTE** I did not include any flight/hotel/pregame/postgame expenses -- I only wanted to include what I think are 'NHL' costs:

NON-GAME COSTS:

NHL Center Ice (2011-2012 price): $171.80
MN Wild Authentic Zip Hoodie: $79.99
MN Winter Knit Hat: $19.99
NHL13 for XBOX: $59.99
Parise Jersey: $159.99

Total: $491.76

*NOTE: Already have a Parise USA jersey, but a Wild one is necessary for the NJD vs. MN game in Newark.

GAME COSTS:

Wild vs. Panthers (in St. Paul) 10/27 (Tickets+Beer+Food): $48 + ($11 x 5) + $14 = $117
Wild vs. Bruins (in Boston) 11/6 (TBF):$201.00
Wild vs. Rangers (in NYC) 11/8 (TBF) $171.00
Wild vs. Devils (in Newark) 11/11 (TBF) $155.00
Wild vs. Flyers (in Philadelphia) (TBF) $195.00
Wild vs. Stars (in St. Paul) 12/26 (TBF) $151.00
Wild vs. Islanders (in Uniondale) 2/5 (TBF) 145.00

Total: $1135.00

TOTAL: $1626.76

There you have it. A very LOW projection of what I would have spent this year. BUT when you multiply that by X amount of fans = sad face for the NHL

Looks like I'll be watching the locals partake in Ice Hockey In Harlem (IHIH) will have to do this year.
What if all these fan strike ideas took hold? What if the above numbers are multiplied by 100,000 people? Or a million people?

What, financially, would it mean for the NHL and/or the NHLPA?

Would the owners truly be up a creek? If the cap is (still) related to revenue in the next CBA, payrolls will go down, right? ...etc...

Old
10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
sunnyvale420
Doug The Thug Glatt

Are there enough hockey fans on 4chan? Or even on here post owners personal inforation such as family members, jobs, banks, phone numbers. Do that to players as well. Fans need to show these rich A-holes who has the real power

Old
10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

I really don't think going aggressive on owners and/or players is to solve anything. Might get you a free meal and a hard board for a 30 days in prison or something but not much more.

It's our individual dime, united, that will make single dollars which will go onto ending up being millions. Hey, they already said pre-season costed them $100M and there is already a number that on average, every player will be $180k less rich at the end of the two week canceled period. And we the fans didn't do anything, so we're pretty much a good $150-200M in positive.

Just a little effort, less attended games (for STH, even if you paid for the ticket, all that beer and food you spend is less cash to them, and all those empty seats have a voice aswell), less hats, less jerseys, less flags and banners.

Last year revenues were what $3.2G ? Lets make them roll back to 2 or 1.5G.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:36 PM
WingsFan95

I've honestly boycotted the NHL in many ways since the last lockout.

The NFL is king in my home and has been for a while now.

The NBA is definitely ahead of the NHL now because of this.

The last 2 years all I did was watch playoffs anyway. Now I've actually started going to minor league games actively to clear my head. It's working. I am only happy to see the NHL die, and it will now.

Old
10-04-2012, 07:54 PM
capebretoncanadien

I'm behind any sort of movement. I'd be willing to boycott attending games and NHL merch for a year no problem. I'd also be behind boycotting products that support the league. We shouldn't have to put up with this time after time!

The NHL is feeding us a whole truckload of %&$^. We have to do something.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:03 PM
PBPantherfan
1st place WTF?

I think an appropriate response if they come back this year and you have already purchased tickets. Boo the second the players come on the ice stay for the Anthem then get up and leave before the puck is dropped. It would never happen but it would be a powerful statement. I have season tickets and to be honest I am so disgusted I wish I could just get my money back and be done with this year.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Hammibal Burgers
hemidemisemiquaver

vCash: 133
I think a boycott is in order. They're not getting a dime from me for at least this year, there are other sports franchises in my city that I can spend the money on or other entertainment venues.

I understand the bind STHs are in because I was one, so I thought it'd be interesting if every NHL fan went to their respective arenas on opening day and threw an article of apparel on the front steps. It could simply be a free t-shirt you received at a game, but there'd be hundreds of thousands of shirts, jerseys et al. piled up to demonstrate that if the lockout drags on then we don't have to come back.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:28 PM
aRussian

vCash: 239
It's free on tv or nothing at all for me now... I went to nearly every game the last 4 years, half my wardrobe is hockey-related, and I've gone to team events and spent money at that. No more. I can't abandon hockey, but I sure can plug the hole in my wallet.

I like the idea of a petition but you can see just on the boards alone that 50% of people are skeptical about it and wouldn't help get it started on that. I'm personally vowing to not spend on the NHL for the entire duration the new CBA is signed for. Merch, special channels, games... anything.

I don't like being taken advantage of and being taken for granted. I'm only a couple hundred dollars, but money adds up.

Closed Thread