HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just Realized I'm Fed Up

Old
09-27-2012, 01:54 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Just Realized I'm Fed Up

Don’t know if I’m unique but this whole Lockdown drama has not been on my front burner until very recently. Like many, I hoped they’d resolve it and not have their 3rd straight work stoppage. Since this was “just about money” and not structure like the last one, they’d find a middle ground. I’ve focused on football, baseball, and whatever else to bind my time.

There was a guy being interviewed on Home Ice last night who was in-the-know on the owner’s side. He said 7 teams have lost at least $23mm each last year, 6 teams made a bunch of money (Toronto being the highest at $161mm), and then the rest losing or breaking even. All with league revenues hitting $3.3b, their highest ever. While the definition of Hockey Related Revenue (HHR) is in dispute, his point was, the players at 57% are getting too much of the pie and not taking any risk. They fancy themselves “partners” in this biz but have no skin-in-the-game. Salaries have never been higher, yet teams are losing money.
He said the owners will not re-start the season with the players getting 50% or more. Don Fehr, the PA and former MLB rep, is pushing the rich teams to subsidize the poor teams instead of the players. Fehr is HATED by the owners and viewed as a carpetbagger swooping in from MLB and selling the same revenue sharing model he pushed in MLB.
I found myself siding with the owners because as a fan, I want to make sure my franchise never has to leave my city because they’re going broke even though the arena is filled 95% of the time. If the salaries were 15% lower, the players would still be making huge salaries, even the lower level guys, and the teams could make money without raising our ticket prices thru the roof.

That said, it sounded like both sides are “dug in” and prepared to lose the season. This is frustrating on so many levels because they’re fighting over the very food we provide them, and assuming they can take as long as they want to work it out and the food will just keep coming. Both sides empathize with us, and blame the other side. Neither takes responsibility for the pain this is causing so many. As fans, we just miss our fav sport. For businesses downtown and peeps working the arena and in the front office, it is their very livelihood. There is no pretty way to say it. By sides want what they want, and will not take responsibility for people losing their jobs and disrespecting the fans by taking them for granted.

I’ve all-of-a-sudden gotten pissed at this thing. I get my rub-my-back email alerts from the Preds and I delete them. Don’t patronize me. I don’t want 7000 extra credits for whatever it is I can buy with these points I can never keep track of. I want the dang season to start and I want the owners-players to respect me and all the other innocent people affected by their stick-measuring contest. They are killing the game. It’s so obvious.
It’s real simple. 50-50 split. No contracts over 7 years. Bonuses freakin’ count in the year you pay them (no more Weber BS). Compensation is compensation. If it’s all guaranteed anyway, then salary and bonus are the same as salary. Stop with the weaselly way we pay bonuses to sidestep the cap. Make the minimum salary threshold lower and create a bigger gap between the ceiling and the floor. Small market teams need that room to save money if necessary. Allow teams to trade cap space or cash. Yeah the Rangers of Leafs could increase their spending at the expense of the Islanders, but so what. If the Isles want to make the deal, let them.
Here’s some perspective. We’re paying more money to Weber in a 12 month period than we paid the entire team in 1999. Our salary hit then was $22mm. When it gets to the point where the floor is $50mm, the point of a salary cap has lost it point.
And oh by the way, the teams are not financially healthy having to hit these high floors.

Or maybe the players need to get a year of making what they can make in Europe or the KHL to remind them that without the NHL (i.e. 30 teams making money and staying viable), they ain’t worth 25% of what they are making now.
As for the “process” of negotiations, HOW DARE THEY NOT MEET EVERY FREAKIN’ DAY UNTIL THIS IS DONE. They should be forced to sit in the same room and stare at each other for 10 hours a day. When they play these “there’s no reason to meet” games, they should just turn to all of us and say “FU”, cuz that’s the end result. People’s business and livelihoods are hanging in the balance and they can’t seem to find common ground. In 2004, 4 out of the 5 closest bars to Joe Louis Arena went out of business due to the lost season. Those are people. Don’t you people get it, you greedy b-stards. The passionate fans of this sport create your $3.3b and that same passionate can turn the other way. Keep this spit up, and there will be a lot less to fight over, you jerks.
I got a better idea: how about if league revenues exceed a certain threshold (let’s say $3.5b), the excess gets rebated back the season ticket holders as credits in their dang reward accounts.
…. I’m done now.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:14 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
As for the “process” of negotiations, HOW DARE THEY NOT MEET EVERY FREAKIN’ DAY UNTIL THIS IS DONE. They should be forced to sit in the same room and stare at each other for 10 hours a day. When they play these “there’s no reason to meet” games, they should just turn to all of us and say “FU”, cuz that’s the end result. People’s business and livelihoods are hanging in the balance and they can’t seem to find common ground. In 2004, 4 out of the 5 closest bars to Joe Louis Arena went out of business due to the lost season. Those are people. Don’t you people get it, you greedy b-stards. The passionate fans of this sport create your $3.3b and that same passionate can turn the other way. Keep this spit up, and there will be a lot less to fight over, you jerks.
I got a better idea: how about if league revenues exceed a certain threshold (let’s say $3.5b), the excess gets rebated back the season ticket holders as credits in their dang reward accounts.
…. I’m done now.
This has been my rub since the beginning. Regardless of which "side" you fall on, the fact they seem to be giving it the absolute least amount of effort possible is an insult to every single fan, player, usher, linesman, etc... And don't even get me started on corporate sponsors. If I was one of those, I tell them all to go **** themselves and my next sponsorship might not be as hefty as my current one, if there is one.

The sad truth in this is that it really is just another form of entertainment to the people that go to the games, buy the merch, pay for cable and put their $ into that 3.3B that gets thrown around so brazenly by all of those in charge, and at some point I think they all forgot the phrase "out of sight, out of mind" because I don't think that they will have near the fan support this time that they had last time.

Find a % around 50, throw in some stipulations from both sides (that's called a compromise) and play the damn games that are scheduled. They are all quickly just looking like a bunch of *******s.

Oh, and ILILI, I agree.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I just wish we had some reciprocation.

The Stanley Cup Trustees remove the NHL as the sole owners and winners of the cup

Some devious stock trader starts short selling subsidiaries of NHL owners

Anything painful. Stupid is supposed to hurt.

I want BOG blood.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Saw that ILIILI posted a new thread. Knew it would be good. Wasn't disappointed.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:11 AM
lstcyr

"He said 7 teams have lost at least $23mm each last year, 6 teams made a bunch of money (Toronto being the highest at $161mm), and then the rest losing or breaking even."

I understand the frustration as I want the season to start also. But the statement above is just plain BS. As an accountant, I can tell you that I can make any company look like they're losing money no matter what they're really making. Without knowing the details of what's being counted toward the expenses or whether all of the revenue is showing up on the team's books, it's impossible to tell whether a team is really "making money" or not. IMHO, more of the responsibility for this disaster rests with the owners who see this as an opportunity to get more money from the players without fixing the real problems in the league structure. Players have a very short (except for a few) playing career and they should be rewarded for it based upon their performance. No one's going to a game to see management sit on their butts.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:54 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
"He said 7 teams have lost at least $23mm each last year, 6 teams made a bunch of money (Toronto being the highest at $161mm), and then the rest losing or breaking even."

I understand the frustration as I want the season to start also. But the statement above is just plain BS. As an accountant, I can tell you that I can make any company look like they're losing money no matter what they're really making. Without knowing the details of what's being counted toward the expenses or whether all of the revenue is showing up on the team's books, it's impossible to tell whether a team is really "making money" or not. IMHO, more of the responsibility for this disaster rests with the owners who see this as an opportunity to get more money from the players without fixing the real problems in the league structure. Players have a very short (except for a few) playing career and they should be rewarded for it based upon their performance. No one's going to a game to see management sit on their butts.
without getting into arguing the accounting drivel (reformed CPA here) your statement itself is contradicting on it's face; you say that the teams can't be losing money like that and it's BS and then go on to describe how the "accounting matters". That means - you have no way of knowing if it's BS or not, because it's all in the accounting.

of course the responsibility rests with the owners - they signed the stupid (or at least approved) the contracts that are a huge part of the problem. Our personal "rooting interests" aside, the Weber thing was ridiculous. I'd argue the Suter/Parise contracts are, too, as are several others previously signed. It's not Phoenix or FL or Carolina doing those though, it's the big-market (or at least hockey-rich) markets.

The players are right about one thing - the owner's need to be more "equality minded" if they want a competitive league. Maybe that's not what Toronto and Montreal want; wouldn't blame them given how competitive they've been the last 20 years. But it's absurd to hand out a guaranteed 57% of the revenue to the "workers", too.

So look at other major sports and tell me where you have small markets that can consistently compete? Not the occasional build for a year-or-two and then rebuild, but actually have a chance to consistently put a competitive team on the field. Right - football. Big differences: TV contracts and salaries. They don't get local TV, they have that sweet national deal where everyone shares equally because they know that the league popularity rests on the fact that the whole nation is interested and it's because if you run your team well you can be competitive. Salaries are what - 50%? Pushing the players to 47-50% without the markets squaring up other revenue isn't gonna' "fix" the problem. It may be the best the owners are willing to do; and it's still more than fair, IMHO, to the players. But like ILIILI said so well - I don't care, I'm fed up.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 03:14 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I have found that when hockey is not an option, I don't miss it.

Right now I have a lot of other things to occupy my time. I got back from FL yesterday (I saw a car with a Preds plate at McDonald's at the beach!), I'm still watching baseball, and football has started.

I've been pissed with hockey since the playoffs. Not completely at the Preds, but hockey in general, mostly the "politics" of hockey. Starting with the playoffs with the utterly stupid play of the Pens, then the Rads/AK saga, then the awards/cover vote, Suter's BS, Suter/Parise contracts while Leipold's crying poor, the offer sheet, my tickets going up $10/game (I was prepared for a $2-maybe $5 raise not $10), now the lockout.

And as for the "process of negotiations" I agree that it's stupid not to be meeting everyday. Or at least every other day. If I was one side, I would show up to the meeting place and wait for the other side and tell the media that I was here ready to negotiate but the other side doesn't seem to want to meet. And I really hope that the players that are part of the "negotiating committee" aren't going over to Europe to play instead of, oh I don't know, actually working towards a solution.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:41 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
I really like the players proposal and so should many of the teams relying on subsidy AKA rev sharing. I am more than prepared to have the NHL out for 2 seasons atleast not going to hurt me. I have lots of other teams around me to watch I think the PA needs to stand pat this time around and if some stupid owners feel they need to make more money then they will be out for a long time.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:48 AM
glenngineer

Dean, from my understanding, the TV contracts for the NFL usually cover the cost of player salaries so everything else basically goes into the owners pocket. You're talking what, 10 games guaranteed a year at around 50-75,000 people per event. Now throw in part of parking and concessions and they're making a boatload.

The NHL, the Preds in particular, rely on gate revenue to pay their salaries. They get some money from the TV deals in place but that is not where the majority of the money comes to pay the players salaries. When you're a team relying on making the playoffs to break even for the year, the monies need to be split differently. How that happens is anybody's guess but hockey is never going to get the TV deal that the other leagues get so they have to figure out ways to make sure the league stays healthy financially. Not sure how they do it but the Preds have been pretty lucky to get some money from revenue sharing but also running the franchise properly by drafting well and developing players and not looking for a quick fix like a few of the big market teams that are out there.

I wonder if a business model would make sense that all the teams would/should follow. I also wonder if the salary cap needs to be a smaller gap as well to keep teams more competitive with one another. I just want hockey and for these guys to get in a room and work at it for days until it gets done.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Yeah I haven't paid much attention until recently either. That's pretty much been my train of thought over the last couple of weeks/months. I knew it was looming but figured there was no way it would be a serious issue. The NFL's lockout came and went, and last year's NBA lockout didn't last too long either. The NBA was pretty screwed at the time and the sides seemed to be finding no common ground at all, so if they could resolve something I knew we wouldn't miss any time this year. Or would we?

Maybe it's just me being naive but I also figured there was no way the league would be stubborn enough to threaten the on-ice product and the fan support it gets, when both are at a very high level right now. But hey what do I know? I realize that hockey is a niche sport with a cult following more so than any other major sport in the US outside of soccer, but the NHL is quickly becoming a joke in the eyes of many. As if hockey isn't respected enough as it is, they go and pull this crap eight years or whatever after losing an entire season to another lockout, which followed another one in the 94-95 season, which followed a strike in 1992. Four labor issues in 20 freaking years. Way to go guys. Way to let the fans know you appreciate them.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
cleangene

There's a posting on Facebook for an "Occupy The Bridge" event during what should have been the home opener. It's listed by Diane Fashing, and anyone who wants to check it out please do. I know it will not produce ANY type of major result, but I'm certainly planning to go just to let out a little frustration. Wouldn't it be great if when everyone does get back into actually doing what their supposed to, the cooks, servers, parking lot and arena support staff ALL just stood around and made all these prima donnas take care of themselves a couple of times???

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
I'm going to die if we lose the whole season. I care about 10x more about hockey than any other sport. Even losing the preseason games sucked; the Preds were playing the Caps at the Verizon Center on Oct. 5 and I was going with a huge group of friends (moved to DC this past summer).

At least I think the tone between the Fehrs and Daly / Bettman has improved (less sandbagging in the press, etc.), but I still don't see this getting resolved until December.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

One player after another signs to play in the KHL or Euro leagues. Some to stay in shape, others to pay the rent. ESPN3 will now stream KHL games to your phone or tablet. Just when you thought Rads was out of your life completely. The PA and the owners continue to test our patience with these meetings on "non-economic issues". Rumors swirl that the owners deadline is Dec. 1, or that Bettman is considering replacement players if not resolved by Thanksgiving. Blah Blah Blah, Yada, Yada, Yada.

Our ownership continues to play "Good Cop" with these Season Ticket Holder Alerts highlighting all the perks of being a season ticket holding fan of a locked out team. I was just about to reconsider leaving my money in their hands until they offered the free "Meet & Great" with the cast of Disney On Ice. Why can't they lock us out every year.

The owners will eventually break the players. Except for MLB, it always ends that way. The only drama is how long the players hold out. It will end with hard feelings and the unity of the product will take a hit.

We'll start the season after Thanksgiving, and the shortened, uneven schedule will be fine if we win and make the playoffs, but tragic if we stub our toe early and can't get it going.

They'll paint Thank Yous under the ice and try to convince us they stabilized the league for years to come, only to have the next CBA deadline turn into another lockout.

Wake me up when we get to December. Every day now is another Seinfeld episode: (about nothing). I'll catch Rads on my Razr and act like I don't care. Truth is, I do care but I'm so disgusted with all of them and refuse to show it.

"I'm Karate Man. I bleed on the inside."

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 01:17 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Also fed up.

I work 2 jobs, I can barely afford to go see games anymore. The longer this draws out the more aggravated I get and I'm already starting to fill the hockey void with other things.

Figure out a way to split your freakin billions of dollars and then you better have a pretty solid argument for why I need to care when the season resumes.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm gonna vent my spleen here so you can ignore this if you like.

Historically, American's passion wanes back and forth between politics and sports but this year it's frustrating.

The two candidates for President underwhelm me. So my hope was a nice season of NHL gamecenter on my iPhone, but no.

Add the fact that Jeremy Jacobs ONCE again has screwed with the NHL and my love of the league makes me want to drive to Boston and firmly implant my metatarsals into his crotch.

But, I'm going to print up the schedule for Cornell, the Elmira Jackals, the Rochester Americans, and various other leagues and go for a hockey tour of the northeast.

I'm gonna avoid the Beanpot to keep myself from being arrested of assault. (Which of course will make a dream of mine come true. Looking a judge in the eye and saying 'Your honor. I'd plead guilt if I actually felt guilt!')

Old
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I'm gonna avoid the Beanpot to keep myself from being arrested of assault. (Which of course will make a dream of mine come true. Looking a judge in the eye and saying 'Your honor. I'd plead guilt if I actually felt guilt!')
The legal term for that is "no contest".

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The legal term for that is "no contest".
My way is better, much like saying 'Don't tread on me' is a much classier way of saying 'don't **** with me!'

Old
10-04-2012, 02:34 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

I'm just dumbfounded at the stupidity of both parties involved. Way to break in my first season of being in the season ticket holder club guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5R_pS0h5Qk

gratefulpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
glenngineer

So people are obviously frustrated by the lockout. Goes without saying yet I said it anyway. People say let's boycott the NHL when it starts up again. That never works because everyone wants hockey by that point. Here's a thought.

Why don't all the season ticket holders ask for their money back. Why don't all the suite holders ask for their money back. Why don't all the sponsors ask for their money back. I'd love to see the owners come up with the money to do that. I'd also like to see what the players think when they'll be playing to an empty arena. That's how you hit them. They have your money earning interest while we sit at home with no hockey. Get your money back since they aren't delivering on what was sold. Then file a class action lawsuit against the NHL, its owners and the players for damages. I have a funny feeling this would get settled quickly.

Just a thought.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:29 PM
hockey diva

I'm angry and disgusted as well. Fighting over money WE spent. I will go back because I love the game, the energy, my fellow STH in 309. And I have nothing better to do in the winter. I say lock em in a room with bread/water/bathroom breaks, no devices and get a deal done damnit!

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Pornqvist View Post
So people are obviously frustrated by the lockout. Goes without saying yet I said it anyway. People say let's boycott the NHL when it starts up again. That never works because everyone wants hockey by that point. Here's a thought.

Why don't all the season ticket holders ask for their money back. Why don't all the suite holders ask for their money back. Why don't all the sponsors ask for their money back. I'd love to see the owners come up with the money to do that. I'd also like to see what the players think when they'll be playing to an empty arena. That's how you hit them. They have your money earning interest while we sit at home with no hockey. Get your money back since they aren't delivering on what was sold. Then file a class action lawsuit against the NHL, its owners and the players for damages. I have a funny feeling this would get settled quickly.

Just a thought.
I think you'd end up risking the Preds franchise more than solving the lockout. Teams like Toronto / Philly / Montreal / NYR / etc. have plenty to refund all parties involved; that's why they're offering APRs in the ~2% range vs. the 10% offered by us, the Wild, etc.

And there is no chance I could ever boycott the NHL. Just wouldn't work for me; I am dying for hockey.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Predfan and I were talking the other day and came to the realization that what the Preds are offering really isn't an APR of 10.25% She asked her rep what the amount would be over the course of the year and from that figure and the amount she pays for tickets we could determine that it's straight .85444% interest paid after 12 months. .85% is 1/12 of 10.25% BUT because the September games are NOT paid interest after the first month, it never has the potential of becoming 10.25% I don't know if the Preds truly didn't realize the methodology of annualizing or whether they're pulling the wool over peoples' eyes...but it is not 10.25%.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Predfan and I were talking the other day and came to the realization that what the Preds are offering really isn't an APR of 10.25% She asked her rep what the amount would be over the course of the year and from that figure and the amount she pays for tickets we could determine that it's straight .85444% interest paid after 12 months. .85% is 1/12 of 10.25% BUT because the September games are NOT paid interest after the first month, it never has the potential of becoming 10.25% I don't know if the Preds truly didn't realize the methodology of annualizing or whether they're pulling the wool over peoples' eyes...but it is not 10.25%.
from the accountant offices of dewey cheatem & howe

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Dodgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I'm angry and disgusted as well. Fighting over money WE spent. I will go back because I love the game, the energy, my fellow STH in 309. And I have nothing better to do in the winter. I say lock em in a room with bread/water/bathroom breaks, no devices and get a deal done damnit!
I'm with ya sista!
The frustration comes from the "foot-dragging" that seems to be happening with the negotiations. Why aren't they meeting EVERY day? It's like neither party wants to get this settled.
I'm a union member so I have no problem with employees striking for decent pay, working conditions, etc., and I realize this is billionaires against the millionaires, not quibbling over how long their lunch break is, but seriously, what's the hold-up?
In the meantime, I've cut back my satellite service. I no longer subscribe to the NHL network, Fox sports, or NBC sports.
For my hockey fix...my niece plays peewee hockey so I'll go watch her games. It's free, exciting, and the players play for the game, not a paycheck.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Yep.

The difference is this. Basically they have a pool of your money that they are putting into an interest bearing account once per month as games would be played and are canceled. There are 43 games so if you were paying $100 for your ticket package for each game, each month they'd put that amount times the number of games that month times .85%
So after September there should have been 2 games X 100 X .85% That's $1.70

The next month, by their method they're putting 4 October games x 100 x .85% in your account. That's $3.40. So under straight interest, they've paid $1.70 + $3.40 total for 2 months. But if it's annualized, that means over the course of the year 10.25% should be paid on the games in September so that $1.70 should be paid again. It should be $1.70 (Sept) + $1.70 + $3.40 (Oct). In April, the number of games would equal 43 or $4300 and the interest would continue to accrue on Sept - April with no additions until August when the 12 months is finished.

The difference in what you should be paid over the course of the year for September alone and what you're actually paid is $18.80! (1.70 X 11) (Note--it really does work out but rounding creates a 10 cent difference here)

I have not contacted my rep to make sure that Predfan didn't just have a rep who missed a critical step, yet. But if this is the methodology the Preds are using it's seriously flawed.

Last edited by Adz: 10-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote