HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 01:24 AM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
So 100 votes into this poll 43 people believe this season will be cancelled
And a total of 57 believe a deal will get done sometime between now and january enough time for us to see some nhl hockey this year
Its good to see that not everyone has lost hope in the season lately it seems as though everyone i talk to tells me this season will be cancelled there wont be hockey this year

Old
10-03-2012, 01:24 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I have great difficulties seeing the 2012/2013 season being played. They're too far apart right now and they're drifting further apart with every stupid argument they have. Fehr and the union won't crack like Goodenow did in 04/05. Bettman, Daly, and Jeremy Jacobs (the tightwad owner that is in charge of the BoG) aren't going to crack either.

If you think this is ugly now, the ugliest is yet to come, boys and girls.

Take a seat, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.
Id rather find other things to do.

Watching billionaires fight with millionaires over money makes me sick.

Wake me up when its over.

Maybe by then I wont care anymore?

Old
10-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
There is one other option - contraction...not sure the NHLPA wants this to be discussed. (hello Phoenix)
Yup, let's see what the NHLPA thinks of a 20 league team.

10-03-2012, 03:23 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yup, let's see what the NHLPA thinks of a 20 league team.
well if phoenix and some other team go bye bye, their proposed realignment can work with 7 teams in each conference as opposed to 8,8,7,7

Old
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
So 100 votes into this poll 43 people believe this season will be cancelled
And a total of 57 believe a deal will get done sometime between now and january enough time for us to see some nhl hockey this year
Its good to see that not everyone has lost hope in the season lately it seems as though everyone i talk to tells me this season will be cancelled there wont be hockey this year

regardless if there is hockey, i might not even watch it when it comes back. this soap opera every few years (twice in a DECADE of missed hockey? that's atrocious) is getting real old. im getting too old to Hope for Santa the Cargo Cult leader to deliver escapism.

the NHL is getting really embarrassing

Old
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Now that the owners won that battle, they are setting their sights on adjusting the revenue %.

The players are just along for the ride. They can either accept what the owners are offering, or lose money until they accept what the owners are offering.
Yup.

If the owners want to end this quickly tell the players the longer this takes the less % of HRR they get.

Sign in October, 47%.
Sign in November, 44%.
Sign in December, 41%.
Sign in January, 38%.

Season cancelled. 38% and no guaranteed contracts.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:28 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
regardless if there is hockey, i might not even watch it when it comes back. this soap opera every few years (twice in a DECADE of missed hockey? that's atrocious) is getting real old. im getting too old to Hope for Santa the Cargo Cult leader to deliver escapism.

the NHL is getting really embarrassing
Yeah i see where your coming from however i cant say ill do the same when hockey is back on i'm going to be watching it, i may not go to games or perhaps not buy merchandise for a while as a boycott od sorts but ill definitly be watching games, the difference maybe that i havent been watching hockey for very many years ive probably only been really into it for 4 years, i didnt suffer through the last lockout because i wasnt much of a fan then (mainly because i was about 10 years old) but this time around i realize how this really sucks and its ridiculous and unacceptable

Old
10-03-2012, 11:48 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Actually, if 24 teams with 24 votes are losing money, that's probably good news for the players, who are arguing that the owners have the ability to fix the problem with increased revenue sharing. I'm sure the money-losing teams wouldn't mind increased revenue sharing.

Basically, it supports the idea that the root of any financial problem the NHL has is the disparity in revenue between teams, not the overall revenue/costs, if the league as a whole is profitable but so many teams can't manage. The league has the option of proposing revenue sharing, or simply reducing the cap floor, to solve this problem, if it's really as big a problem as they claim it is.
NHL teams loose money because they try to put a product on the ice that wins games and fans.

Thus they over pay on players.

Thus we have a lock out after every CBA.

BTW, all of these teams are separate companies, that compete against each other.

I dont see them giving their competitors money no matter how the fans or the players want that to happen.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I never knew the players get paid for days with the team, not games played.

So if there's a compacted 82 game season that starts in November, players still don't get their full sałary.

Maybe that was common knowledge but I'm learning there's lots I don't know

Old
10-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

I've been reading back on previous work stoppages in all four major sports (NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB). Part of the reason why I remain optimistic that there will be a season is because of the nature of this lockout.

Remember, the last lockout was about the salary cap and completely changing the economic landscape of the league. These type of lockouts usually lead to a disastrous ending. The NHL lost a season in 2004-2005. Baseball tried to implement the cap in 1994 and lost the World Series. NBA implemented the cap in 1999 at a cost of half a season.

This lockout is about dividing the 3.3 billion dollar revenue. It's similar to the last NBA and NFL lockout. Although the NBA lost part of their season, at least the league and players came to their senses as the lockout dragged on and they were in danger of losing a bigger chunk of the season and salary. Ultimately, this is how I feel.

As frustrating as it to see the NHL negotiations are, it was just as bleak if you were an NFL and NBA fan during their labour wars.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

But I don't think the NHL is as financially healthy as those other leagues, and that's a big difference.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
But I don't think the NHL is as financially healthy as those other leagues, and that's a big difference.
The NHL made record profit last year and the numbers are bound to grow.

The NBA made a killing right before their last lockout.

The NFL is well the NFL.

3.3 billion dollars of revenue is quite a lot of money. I don't think either side is going to let that money sit on the table and burn up for a whole season.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:57 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Gord Miller just dropped the bomb shell. He doesn't think any games will be played this season.

Well it looks like my GPA is going to go up

Old
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Moneypuck

For Canadians it's a case of Dumb vs Dumber. Not so much in the USA.

I have a sneaky suspicion we won't see NHL hockey again till after the Christmas of 2013*. By then we'll see what's left of the "New NHL".

NHL probably feels the Canadian teams will return to 100% capacity crowds immediately. Support in most US markets is mediocre during the reg season before this lockout. The NHL probably feels it won't get much worse than it was last yr. Bettman may be gambling things will be better down south after a prolonged lockout. I really feel there's absolutely no urgency to get this thing done.

* hopefully the Mayans are wrong and the world won't end December 23rd of this year.

Last edited by Moneypuck: 10-04-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Yup.

If the owners want to end this quickly tell the players the longer this takes the less % of HRR they get.

Sign in October, 47%.
Sign in November, 44%.
Sign in December, 41%.
Sign in January, 38%.

Season cancelled. 38% and no guaranteed contracts.
The Owners are going to win, make no mistake about it.

BUT.

I think the problem the whole time is defining HRR.

I just don't see the players budging this year. They have money on signed paper and the owners are trying to renege on their deals with the roll backs.

The players probably feel if they let it go now, and they let it go in 04' whats going to happen in next time the CBA expires, are the owners going to ask for more concessions?

I'm scared of the path this is heading, people joke about the KHL now, but the way things are heading in this league the KHL will be a force to be reckoned with. I see players going back overseas and get their "deserved money".

Old
10-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
The NHL made record profit last year and the numbers are bound to grow.

The NBA made a killing right before their last lockout.

The NFL is well the NFL.

3.3 billion dollars of revenue is quite a lot of money. I don't think either side is going to let that money sit on the table and burn up for a whole season.
The NHL made record REVENUES last year. The also paid record EXPENSES

Some teams made huge profits (usual suspects like the Leafs, Habs, Rags, etc...), and some teams suffered massive losses (Phoenix, Florida, and a few others)

Profit and revenue are not synonymous and interchangeable.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:22 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post

Some teams made huge profits (usual suspects like the Leafs, Habs, Rags, etc...), and some teams suffered massive losses (Phoenix, Florida, and a few others)

lol somebody's taken accounting

Old
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post

Yes ok, but what I'm trying to say is that the NBA was in a similar situation before their lockout. Major markets making record killings while small markets suffered.

Point is, this CBA debate centers around dividing up the 3.3 dollar revenue, similar to that of the NBA and the NFL. That is the main reason why I don't think it will be a full-season lockout.

If we were talking about salary cap vs no salary cap, then its a totally different story and my optimism for a season to happen wouldn't exist.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:52 PM
AM

You can delete the first couple weeks of the NHL schedule after today.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Blue And Orange
SEAHAWKS SB48 CHAMPS

Great!

Hopefully, the players and owners realize the damage their selfishness have done to the league and the game of hockey and come to their senses!

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee! I want hockey!

Old
10-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Great!

Hopefully, the players and owners realize the damage their selfishness have done to the league and the game of hockey and come to their senses!

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee! I want hockey!
Start cheering for the Oil Kings...no fear of a lockout in the W.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:27 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I never knew the players get paid for days with the team, not games played.

So if there's a compacted 82 game season that starts in November, players still don't get their full sałary.

Maybe that was common knowledge but I'm learning there's lots I don't know
Well I believe that they get paid for an 82 game schedule. Their cap hit is calculated daily though.

I believe if they had an 82 game season they would get their full checks.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
The NHLPA is becoming a massive joke... At least the NHL is trying to negotiate by making proposals but then there are reports that the NHLPA refuse to take less than the 57%

To me the NHLPA and Donald Fehr are a bunch of ass wipes

If they want their 57% then I say screw it let the owners off the hook and the players can pay for their own expenses, accommodations, medical bills, etc.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Lobotomizer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Well I believe that they get paid for an 82 game schedule. Their cap hit is calculated daily though.

I believe if they had an 82 game season they would get their full checks.
They won't be getting their full checks...or any part of their checks this year.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
They won't be getting their full checks...or any part of their checks this year.
It was hypothetical. Never said they would play 82 games or 0 games.

Closed Thread