HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 11:59 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Bit of both, I imagine. He does have a nice shot anyways, but 20% is high.
Yep, he's got a great shot when he can get it off and on the PP he's got time. I have to think that's part of the reason he's so deadly on the PP and he's being scoring on the PP where your s% is higher. I'm hoping he starts picking up some more ES goals even if the s% comes down, we could use more ES beasts.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:03 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Giurato writes for canucks.com, of course he's going to sensationalize things a bit... our future isn't bright, after all

Old
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
20% is still high, great shot or not. Should even out as the season goes on.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Here's a good read about Harvard's dynamite freshman hockey forwards, whom McNally will be feeding all season to fatten his point totals.

"Preview: Harvard Hits Another Home Run With Incoming Class"

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ts_another.php

But just as interesting is the commentary about Yale's prized freshman, Matt Beattie, in the next segment down. He significantly outscored the Harvard golden boy while playing three fewer games on the same prep school hockey team.

The Harvard-Yale rivalry is an ancient one, and I still feel it a zillion years since receiving my degrees from one of those schools. So it's odd to have this sudden interest in the scoring success of a Yalie

Old
10-03-2012, 01:20 PM
mikael99

I believe Jensen is playing third line minutes in AIK which could negatively effect his goalscoring compared to when he plays on one of the two top powerplay formations.

Interestingly enough last year when he played in AHL he scored more powerplay goals than regulars.. so for sure his skills and shot fits well into the powerplay role.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Here's a good read about Harvard's dynamite freshman hockey forwards, whom McNally will be feeding all season to fatten his point totals.

"Preview: Harvard Hits Another Home Run With Incoming Class"

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ts_another.php

But just as interesting is the commentary about Yale's prized freshman, Matt Beattie, in the next segment down. He significantly outscored the Harvard golden boy while playing three fewer games on the same prep school hockey team.

The Harvard-Yale rivalry is an ancient one, and I still feel it a zillion years since receiving my degrees from one of those schools. So it's odd to have this sudden interest in the scoring success of a Yalie
Im excited about Beattie. He seems like a good combination of size and skill. He should adjust well to college hockey as he likes to throw his weight around. If he can put on some muscle over the next few years he could be a nice power forward prospect.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Bleach Clean

Good to hear Jensen still scoring.

Bad news about Grenier being concussed.

Schroeder looks like a little tank in that picture.

And interesting blurb about Beattie there 701. I'm not high on what the Canucks did beyond the 1st rnd in this year's draft, but if it works out, then I will be pleasantly surprised. It seems they are taking more players with attributes they can mold. Essentially, they are going all in on development. Conversely, they devalue pre-draft consensus. Let's see if MG is right...

Old
10-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^I actually hold a slightly different opinion of the late rounds of this year's draft. The Canucks went with the "older crowd" in 2009 with positive (so far) results in prospects such as Connauton and Cannata. I think guys like Beattie could be quite interesting.

Of course, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about prospects such as Butcher and Fredheim in years past (although Fredheim actually made it to the show for a cup of coffee, good for him).

Old
10-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael99 View Post
I believe Jensen is playing third line minutes in AIK which could negatively effect his goalscoring compared to when he plays on one of the two top powerplay formations.

Interestingly enough last year when he played in AHL he scored more powerplay goals than regulars.. so for sure his skills and shot fits well into the powerplay role.
I thought he specifically went to a bad team so he would get top line minutes?

Old
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^He still has to earn his minutes.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
^I actually hold a slightly different opinion of the late rounds of this year's draft. The Canucks went with the "older crowd" in 2009 with positive (so far) results in prospects such as Connauton and Cannata. I think guys like Beattie could be quite interesting.

Of course, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing about prospects such as Butcher and Fredheim in years past (although Fredheim actually made it to the show for a cup of coffee, good for him).

I'm not completely knocking Gillis's approach because he is still picking guys with high upside. (Good combination of skating+size+hockeyIQ) But he is definitely not following any type of consensus. He's going off the board in a way that is unprecedented IMO. Now, everyone's waiting to see if he is right for doing so.

He's taking chances. Pass or fail, at least it can be said that he was not a slave to convention.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
This year he seemed to go completely off the board after the early rounds. Hopefully though he won't be passing up obvious fallers - but that depends on whether we even have mid-round picks to spare in the first place. Severson vs. Mallet still remains to be seen, though I've come to like Mallet as a prospect.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM

About Matt Beattie, I've always found this factoid about his pre-Exeter high school career to be eye-popping:

"Skated four seasons for The Pingry School in New Jersey… Scored 100 goals and had 230 points in 100 career games…"

That's a 1 goal / 2.3 ppg average over four seasons, beginning when he was around 14 years old. No matter what the competition was like, to me that's still an unusually impressive scoring average. Then at Exeter he turned the ratio around, scoring more goals than assists. It will be very interesting to see how he does at Yale.

Old
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I thought he specifically went to a bad team so he would get top line minutes?
No Elitserien team is just going to give a rookie top line minutes.

I couldn't find even strength ice time, but he plays an average of 16:22 a game, or sixth among AIK's forwards. He plays more than any other Elitserien rookie forward. His regular linemate, Broc Little, is second in scoring for AIK and was the top point getter in the Allsvenskan last season.

I've only watched a couple of his games so far, but is seems like he is getting every
opportunity to succeed. Certainly more so than Rodin at that age or many young forwards in Sweden.

Old
10-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
This year he seemed to go completely off the board after the early rounds. Hopefully though he won't be passing up obvious fallers - but that depends on whether we even have mid-round picks to spare in the first place. Severson vs. Mallet still remains to be seen, though I've come to like Mallet as a prospect.
Beattie was ranked 107th in NA, and picked 207th in the draft, so in fact MG did not go off the board to select him. I haven't looked up Hutton's and Myron's draft ranking numbers though.

It's good to read these stories about Beattie again, now that the puck's about to drop for his first NCAA season:

http://www.usatoday....port/53234152/1

News and notes from around the scouting community:

"While scouts have been flocking to Phillips Exeter Academy to see highly rated forward prospect Brian Hart, they have also taken notice of goal scoring winger Matt Beattie.

Beattie is a kid with an unlikely hockey background. As a late-1992 birthdate who was draft eligible for the first time last year, the 6-3, 186-pound sniper was playing public high school hockey in New Jersey as recently as last season.

This kid can simply fill up the net with a great shot that he releases extremely fast and with tremendous velocity. Knows how to get to the scoring areas and is one of those guys who the puck just seems to follow him around the offensive zone.

He's gifted offensively with soft hands and stickhandling skills. He has a big frame and is great with the puck on his stick, but at this point is rather one-dimensional. He's not that strong for his size and needs to compete harder to win more battles, plus his skating is just average.

We would still list him as a sleeper, but he is generating some buzz among the scouting community."

--------------------------

And this, a much more thorough description of his play at Exeter:

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...wing_on_us.php

Old
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
If it were me I'd want to draft players in later rounds purely on potential, regardless of the risk(i.e players who were injured, have KHL questions, etc). That way if they do pan out we could get a potential impact player. Picking "safe" picks in the 5-7th rounds usually ends up getting a goon at best.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If it were me I'd want to draft players in later rounds purely on potential, regardless of the risk(i.e players who were injured, have KHL questions, etc). That way if they do pan out we could get a potential impact player. Picking "safe" picks in the 5-7th rounds usually ends up getting a goon at best.
Yeah I agree. Glad to see MG is generally following consensus in the 1st round though, I think that's wise. Chances of getting an NHL player after the 3rd round are so slim you may as well shoot for the moon.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Bleach Clean

Draft rankings don't consider consensus BPAs dropping. For instance, guys like Nick Ebert being picked dead last in the draft despite not being ranked as low. This in turn throws the rankings of other players off.

A better way to put it is that the Canucks don't take the consensus BPA (dropping or otherwise) beyond the 1st round.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Jensen and AIK are playing this morning at 10am.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Yup, Beattie is an interesting one, he has a lot of potential. Personally, I liked Gillis' late round College picks. He went for potential and our ability to maximize it, which is better than drafting 3 Sawyer Hannay's in those rounds. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on Myron, Hutton and Beattie this year, I think they might surprise us.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Jensen and AIK are playing this morning at 10am.
Is there a stream somewhere?

Old
10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Warren Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Is there a stream somewhere?
http://www.streamblaster.com/

AIK is in white. First period just ended.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Piece View Post
http://www.streamblaster.com/

AIK is in white. First period just ended.
Thank you.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Jensen with an assist so far on AIK's only goal (they trail 3-1).

Old
10-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Jensen with an assist so far on AIK's only goal (they trail 3-1).
My stream died on me.

Closed Thread