HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most underrated Isle ever

Old
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
the sweetener

vCash: 500
i add richard park to the list

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
cashin
Yes he was overpaid by alot. Many fans hated him called him useless because of that. However he was a 70 pt player. Most fans acted like he was only getting 1 pt a seson not 70
If you include Yashin, Billy Harris has to be considered underrated. Most fans who never seen him play or didn't see the first 5 years of the team think of him only as the guy that was traded for Butch Goring and don't understand his contribution to the early development of the team. Harris was the first Islander drafted, scored the first goal (exhibition game), scored 2 goals in our first game against the Rangers, scored in our first regular season game, scored our first playoff goal and had our first playoff hat trick. Harris was our leading scorer in the first year, led all forwards in scoring in the each of the first three years and all Islander wingers in scoring in each of the first 5 years. Harris was our leading scorer in the 76-77 playoffs at better than a point per game clip. In each of the 3 years he played on a line with Clark Gillies he outscored Gillies.

In his first year with the Islanders he scored 28 goals despite having horrific linemates. With a competent center Harris would have scored 40 goals in his rookie season. Under Al Arbour, Harris only scored more than that one time. In Arbour's first year he had Harris (along with with most of the team) concentrate more on defensive play. The next year because they really didn't have a center, Torrey and Arbour wanted Billy to be more of a playmaker to compliment Clark Gillies who was envisioned to be a potentially big goal scorer. When they asked Billy to go back to being the goal scorer in the playoffs against Montreal when they split up the Harris-Gillies combo Billy came through and was clearly the best player on the ice. In that regular season Trottier had 72 points while Harris had 67 points-not that much of a difference. Harris was a legitimate first line Right Wing.

What happened to Harris? Mike Bossy was drafted and he played the same position. Mike is the best natural goal scorer in the history of hockey and rightfully took Billy's slot. Harris was never really on the power play again and when Eddie Westfall retired Billy took over a lot of the face-off duties and penalty killing while Bossy, Nystrom and Duane Sutter had 90% of the even strength time. In addition unlike the left wings Gillies, Tonelli and Bourne; Harris never got to skate with Bossy which would have helped his stats as it did for the Left Wingers.

To put things in perspective, in John Tavares's first 3 seasons-245 games 84 goals. Harris 236 games 76 goals. Again not that much of a difference.

Last edited by original islander: 10-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.
original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
If you include Yashin, Billy Harris has to be considered underrated. Most fans who never seen him play or didn't see the first 5 years of the team think of him only as the guy that was traded for Butch Goring and don't understand his contribution to the early development of the team. Harris was the first Islander drafted, scored the first goal (exhibition game), scored 2 goals in our first game against the Rangers, scored in our first regular season game, scored our first playoff goal and had our first playoff hat trick. Harris was our leading scorer in the first year, led all forwards in scoring in the each of the first three years and all Islander wingers in scoring in each of the first 5 years. Harris was our leading scorer in the 76-77 playoffs at better than a point per game clip. In each of the 3 years he played on a line with Clark Gillies he outscored Gillies.

In his first year with the Islanders he scored 28 goals despite having horrific linemates. With a competent center Harris would have scored 40 goals in his rookie season. Under Al Arbour, Harris only scored more than that one time. In Arbour's first year he had Harris (along with with most of the team) concentrate more on defensive play. The next year because they really didn't have a center, Torrey and Arbour wanted Billy to be more of a playmaker to compliment Clark Gillies who was envisioned to be a potentially big goal scorer. When they asked Billy to go back to being the goal scorer in the playoffs against Montreal when they split up the Harris-Gillies combo Billy came through and was clearly the best player on the ice. In that regular season Trottier had 72 points while Harris had 67 points-not that much of a difference. Harris was a legitimate first line Right Wing.

What happened to Harris? Mike Bossy was drafted and he played the same position. Mike is the best natural goal scorer in the history of hockey and rightfully took Billy's slot. Harris was never really on the power play again and when Eddie Westfall retired Billy took over a lot of the face-off duties and penalty killing while Bossy, Nystrom and Duane Sutter had 90% of the even strength time. In addition unlike the left wings Gillies, Tonelli and Bourne; Harris never got to skate with Bossy which would have helped his stats as it did for the Left Wingers.

To put things in perspective, in John Tavares's first 3 seasons-245 games 84 goals. Harris 236 games 76 goals. Again not that much of a difference.
Yea i hear you there. I just was thinking about yashin and saw how he could of been underrated"

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
19 in a row

Even though they get some kudos now, I always felt that Bourne and Persson were underrated during their playing days since they were overshadowed by the players around them.

I loved those times when Arbour(always mixing and matching)would put Bourne with Trottier and Bossy, my all time fav line. He was blazing fast AND had hands (sorry Grabs)... good all around guy too.

And I think Persson's defense allowed Potvin to do his thing. Potvin got all the press while Persson would quietly save his bacon by staying at home.

Have to agree with Lane as well.

I know we all wax poetic but what was great about those teams was everybody contributed. True team.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:27 PM
malPHONEY

I never see Persson's name drop when the dynasty is brought up. I don't get it, the guy was a very good defenseman yet only Potvin/Morrow are mentioned.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:25 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Mike Watt.

Dude scored 2 shorthanded goals in one game. Mike Watt was beast.
Tom Fitzgerald---dude scored two shorthanded goals on one major penalty. IN THE PLAYOFFS!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
leeroggy

Can't believe no one has mentioned Derek King.

As far as the Cup teams go the one player who NEVER got his due because of all the talent around him was Stefan Persson. His stats would hold up today as an All-Star.

Just look at his stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Persson_(ice_hockey)

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned Derek King.

As far as the Cup teams go the one player who NEVER got his due because of all the talent around him was Stefan Persson. His stats would hold up today as an All-Star.

Just look at his stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Persson_(ice_hockey)
Didn't Derek have back to back 40 goal seasons?

EDIT:
Looked it up: 40 goals in 91-92
then 38
then 30

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:58 PM
VT Isles Fan

Bourne and Langevin immediately come to mind.

Bourne had great speed, good all around player. You always knew when Langevin was on the ice, the old Coliseum boards would be rattling from his hits.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Isles72

Steve Thomas (Stumpy)

37 goals , 50 assists , 87 points , 111 pims in the 92-93 season all at 5'11 , 185 .

9 goals , 8 assists , 37 pims in 18 gp's during the 93 playoffs run .

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Fantom

P.A parentue

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 01:26 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
If he keeps playing like he has for a few more years, Moulson will get an honorable mention from me

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
RECsGuy*

Mike Bossy

And, yes, I read the thread's title.

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:37 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Aucoin is my choice as one of the most underrated players we have ever had...i may be wrong but i believe he lead the NHL a few years in ice time. Nothing amazing but very solid defensively with a hard slap shot from the point.

Older i would say derek king was fairly underrated...steve thomas- pierre- derek king line was exceptional for a year or two

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
And You Feel Shame

Dave Langevin
Tom Fitzgerald
Uwe Krupp
Bobby Bourne

Exposing Fitzy in the expansion draft was one of the worst decisions of that era, and there were many in the year or two after that playoff run in 92/93.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
All time:

Bob Bourne
I'd Have to Agree with this. a lot of guys got lost in the Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Nystrom, Smith, Shuffle but non more so than #14, who had some amazing games as an Islander and some really important goals

and an honorable mention to Derek King, he was one of the top scoring wingers for 2 or 3 seasons here and nobody mentions him at all anymore (except for Leerogy and Crazy Ivan, lol)

Last edited by Bexlyspeed: 10-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:44 AM
MichaelK

Dave Scatchard

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

richard park

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Didn't Derek have back to back 40 goal seasons?

EDIT:
Looked it up: 40 goals in 91-92
then 38
then 30
A question for long-time fans: why was Derek King so hated? I became a hardcore fan just when his Islander days were dying down, but I remember the constant "Get off the ice King!" heckles he would often get. Was he just seen as a one-dimensional floater who lived off Pierre?

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

As an outsider I always felt Pat Flatley was an underated player

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Not ever but Matt Moulson definitely comes into mind, no one expected anything from him at all.

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Quickdraw2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
i add richard park to the list
first name that came to me

Quickdraw2828 is offline   Reply With Quote