HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Who's your favourite Beatle - if you had to pick one?

View Poll Results: Which Beatle member is your favourite?
John Lennon 42 29.79%
Paul McCartney 36 25.53%
George Harrison 52 36.88%
Ringo Starr 11 7.80%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-03-2012, 11:48 AM
kihei

vCash: 1903
I think at his peak, Lennon is the better composer, but in terms of the quantity of good to great Beatles songs, Paul wins hands down. And this comes from a person who prefers Lennon to McCartney.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
TasteofFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
John was definitely the furthest thing from a saint, but part of me still takes a flawed ***hole who makes selfish decisions over the type of image-conscious, business-oriented perfectionist that McCartney seemed to be. Not to say that they're both exactly that, but lack of both those qualities is what makes Harrison easily the most likeable guy of the three.

And I think the thing that balances the scales is that you absolutely can seperate them as songwriters-- John was better at that by a longshot, IMO. I've always considered John the better artist and McCartney the better musician, although they were both great at both.

And I personally don't see longevity as a factor because McCartney hasn't really taken advantage of the additional time with anything that pushes it in his favor.

It's hard to put George ahead of Paul because the sheer quantity of output and contribution isn't even close, but I do think their peaks are easily very competitive with each other.
I've never had trouble putting George on top. The way I see it, Harrison has, hands down, the best solo record of the group, "All things must pass." Largely pieces that Paul wouldn't allow on Beatles records, Harrison's solo debut blows away anything put out by the other guys, and I'm a Lennon apologists (one of the best songwriters of all time). Also, let's not forget Harrison's work with the Traveling Wilburys. Both of their records are on a whole other level compared to Wings. Yes they were a supergroup, but how often do those end up with good music? I can think of 2 off the top of my head,CSNY being the other. Furthermore, George Harrison has to be the nicest human being in rock. This is a guy whose best friend wrote a hit song about his wife (Leyla, about Patti Boyd), and George just went along with it, was cool with Clapton taking his wife, and they went on being bros.

George Harrison is kind of my idol. If I could pick one person in rock history to spend a day hanging out with, its George. The guy was an amazing songwriter, better guitar player, and just all around good human being.

As a slight aside, I've always found it funny that George, John, and Ringo guest on each others records fairly frequently, while Paul is never a guest, nor did the others play on his records.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Paul McCartney OG
John Lennon
George Harrison
Ringo Starr
Paul McCartney #2

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
TasteofFlames

If ya'll have never seen "Walk Hard," it has the best, most concise form of the Beatles internal politics I've ever seen (and damn hilarious).

FYI, not exactly SFW (drugs, cursing)

"I wonder if your songs will still be **** when I'm 64." Pure gold.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
back to the pete best thing for a moment. With it being the 50th anniversary of the release of love me do there have been some radio specials in here in London and they talked about why Ringo ended up in the band. The DJ who was on worked in Liverpool when they switched Ringo for Best and he said that when the band came back from Hamburg that there was obviously a problem between some of the band and Best. He suggested that Best may have missed a gig or showed up late or something and that was something that the other band members would not tolerate. He went on to talk about the fact that in the Liverpool scene, Ringo was actually a bigger name than the other guys because he had played in so many bands over the years he was well known by dj and concert promoters and had a solid reputation as a good band member and new his place in the band and was one of the better drummers on the scene.
They went on about the time leading up to the release of Love me Do and how the band's attitude changed after Ringo joined and seemed more business like

I think the seeds of the change were planted in Hamburg when Pete Best went out for the day, missed a recording gig with the second from man from Rory and the Hurricanes and Ringo recorded three or four songs in October 1960 and according to a few books George Martin was not a fan of Best's drumming

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver

Last edited by jumptheshark: 10-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM
tony d
The Future

George Harrison. Mccartney and Lennon come close though.

10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
LucilleAustero

George.

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stuart Sutcliffe
why? Because John kicked him in the head and he died of an aneurysm months later? because certainly was no musician, he didn't know his around the bass

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
why? Because John kicked him in the head and he died of an aneurysm months later? because certainly was no musician, he didn't know his around the bass
John did not kick him in the head, John got his ass kicked at the same time from the group of guys they were making fun of in the bar.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post
He quit because Paul was such a perfectionist in the studio. He wasn't happy with Ringo's drumming on Back in the USSR. George also quit at one point in time as well only to come back. Finally it was John who left the band for real, even though the media believed it to be Paul.
Because the ever competitive Paul had to beat John, Paul was the first to publicly announce leaving the band.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Clarence Walker

Proof

http://vimeo.com/8904532

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Because the ever competitive Paul had to beat John, Paul was the first to publicly announce leaving the band.
He only said that because the record company was keeping his Wings solo material hostage if he didn't make that announcement. In reality John quit first. It's all in Paul autobiography.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Habsfunk

I go with John, George, Ringo and then Paul.

John has the best mix of quality and quantity. He wrote lots of great songs, really pushed the boundaries and he also rocked a lot more than the other guys.

George wrote some great songs but he doesn't have the output that John has.

Ringo is Ringo.

Paul loses lots of points from me for boring crap like Yesterday, Here There Everywhere, When I'm 64, Martha My Dear, I Will, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, the Long and Winding Road, and, worst of all, Obladi Oblada. And that's not getting into his awful post-Beatles output like Silly Love Songs and that duet with Stevie Wonder.

Really, I just don't care for Paul McCartney. When John was writing cool stuff like I Am the Walrus, Paul churned out Penny Lane.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk View Post

John has the best mix of quality and quantity. He wrote lots of great songs, really pushed the boundaries and he also rocked a lot more than the other guys.

Ringo is Ringo.

Paul loses lots of points from me for boring crap like Yesterday, Here There Everywhere, When I'm 64, Martha My Dear, I Will, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, the Long and Winding Road, and, worst of all, Obladi Oblada. And that's not getting into his awful post-Beatles output like Silly Love Songs and that duet with Stevie Wonder.

Really, I just don't care for Paul McCartney. When John was writing cool stuff like I Am the Walrus, Paul churned out Penny Lane.
should be noted that John in his final interview with playboy thought the bolded song was one of the better songs the beatles did and at the height of his hatred for Paul, John said he(Pual) had done "yesterday" and nothing much else.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:

Ringo is Ringo.

I absolutely love Here There and Everywhere (It's easily my favorite pure-McCartney song) but I lean towards this view as well.

I especially loved how similar and seamlessly John's drugged out narco-philosophical stuff fit in with George's indian meditative stuff.

Really cool stuff, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:

Ringo is Ringo.

Whoa, Yesterday is boring crap? I find that to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written...

Wings also had some ****ing rocking songs...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:10 AM
SB164

Bangladesh loves George Harrison.

Anyways,

When I was very young and only getting into The Beatles, Paul was my favourite.

During my adolescent years, John was my favourite.

And now, George is my favourite.

Last edited by SB164: 10-04-2012 at 12:17 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Bangladesh loves George Harrison.

Anyways,

When I was very young and only getting into The Beatles, Paul was my favourite.

During my adolescent years, John was my favourite.

And now, George is my favourite.
Sounds about right.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Habsfunk

Yesterday is just so schmaltzy and dull. I like a good ballad, but there's a point where it just becomes all sugar and no substance. Yesterday is like that.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Yesterday is just so schmaltzy and dull. I like a good ballad, but there's a point where it just becomes all sugar and no substance. Yesterday is like that.
It's probably the best kind of schmaltzy there is, but I agree.

It's definitely not one of his best songs, IMO.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Borjes Baumingdyk
OurFanbaseIsTheEnemy

A day in the life......

Borjes Baumingdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:56 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

I cringe when I listen to Michele. THAT is some schmaltzy crap right there.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Gobias Industries

I think the bottom line with Paul's schmaltz is that most of them involve amazing melodies...

Michelle is no different...

Old
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Howard Stern

Damn the results of this poll clearly prove that HF is full of hipsters. I love George, but god damn let's be real.

Howard Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Stern View Post
Damn the results of this poll clearly prove that HF is full of hipsters. I love George, but god damn let's be real.
Yeah, I normally come to the defense of hipsters, but this one is indefensible..

I know everyone has their own opinion and of course you're entitled to it, but 40% of people picking George is nuts.