HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNNe View Post
This is TPS-HIFK, I think.
It says that and they were showing highlights from the game..

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it's the right game.

Last edited by jfb392: 10-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
edd1e

Quote:
http://www.justin.tv/kimijoo#/w/3908114160

Who are those 2-3 NHL Players? The only NHL player I can see is Bergenheim and he is hardly what you would call a superstar and is still 1+0. The overhyping is just getting so ridiculous around here... Granted Barkov has been really good thus far, but still ...
Lennart Petrell and O'Sullivan.. Who's calling them superstars?

Barkov has scored 7+5 in eight games as a 17 year old and your complaining about the hype? Tell me when did a 17 year old do the same in SM-Liiga?

Old
10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
ponder

I'm gonna use this post for commentary on the game, and continuously edit it. I only started watching at the beginning of the 3rd period.

- Bergenheim and POS have looked like the best players so far this period, both very active, and a nice snipe by POS
- Tappara just killed off a penalty, Barkov was out there on the 1st PK unit for over a minute. He did a very good job, was cutting off passing lanes well, getting in good shot blocking position, and eventually was the one who cleared the puck after HIFK cycled for roughly a minute. He wasn't aggressive, but was good positionally
- HIFK just killed off a penalty. Barkov was on the 2nd PP, and really only got the puck once, but he made a nice pass to set up a scoring chance
- Barkov with a decent shot coming down the left wing in transition. Tappara got another PP, Barkov was on the first PP unit but Tappara never really got established in HIFK's zone. He got put out there again at the end of the PP, Tappara scored a garbage goal, Barkov was on the ice but wasn't involved (other than winning the faceoff) -> scratch that, goal called back, it was kicked in
- Tappara win 3-2. Barkov was one of the better players out there for the 3rd period, good on the PK and generated a couple chances on offence. Wasn't dominant or anything, but was one of the better players, along with Bergenheim and POS (admittedly I was paying more attention to the players I recognized, there were other good players out there but it's hard to keep track of everyone when a foreign language is being spoken)

Last edited by ponder: 10-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
To be fair, I've seen only 1 ranking released so far - Bob McKenzie's.

And it's possible those scouts were polled during the summer before the FEL season started.

I would imagine Barkov is in the top 3 as of now. I love Monahan (and he's got 7 points 4 OHL games), but there is nearly a year's difference between the 2 (Monahan was born Oct 12th 1994, Barkov Sept 2nd 1995) and Barkov is doing it against far greater competition.

Old
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
MaNNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Lennart Petrell and O'Sullivan.. Who's calling them superstars?

Barkov has scored 7+5 in eight games as a 17 year old and your complaining about the hype? Tell me when did a 17 year old do the same in SM-Liiga?
I was just trying to make a point that they are fourth line grinders/ ~10-15 goal scorers in the NHL. Petrell isn't even that. About the overhyping, I was talking about this thread in general for example statements like this: "Meh, post WJC Barkov will be ranked number 1 unanimously..." Or this one "M. Koivu = Barkov's downside.". They are overhyping.

Now I'm not saying Barkov isn't an amazing prospect. Probably the best one from Finland in a long long time, but still the overhyping here is getting ridiculous. And it seems to be the same thing with every finnish prospect around here and I find it extremely annoying. Luckily there are a few posters who do seem to know what they are talking about around here.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
jonlin

Barkov was the best player on ice in 1st and 2nd. In the 3rd period he played good pk, but nothing special. The whole team sucked in 3rd. Still - they won the game and Barkov with a goal and good playmaking again...

Old
10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Hagged

Quote:
And it seems to be the same thing with every finnish prospect around here and I find it extremely annoying. Luckily there are a few posters who do seem to know what they are talking about around here.
Every finnish prospect around here? Sorry I have to ask: You think that Barkov hasn't earned his "hype"? And about Petrell and M.Koivu, do you remember what they did in pro hockey at age 16-17? That's right, I don't either. Mikko Koivu was like 21 when he had a 30 point season while being **** defensively back then, Barkov is four years younger and likely to hit over 30 points so Barkov is probably already better than Koivu when he went overseas. FEL isn't an easy league by any standards, and doing what Barkov does, actually playing in it at a high level at the age of 17 is a feat only few finnish prospect do (not one of Bergenheim, Petrell or M.Koivu has done it).

It's easy to compare Barkov now to Koivu or even Bergenheim and say that they are better than Barkov, but when you think that Barkov is 17 year old who played junior B couple of seasons ago, and the others are 30 year old NHL players, you've got to wonder how the hell that comparison even crossed your mind. Barkov is one hell of a prospect, overhyping or not.

Old
10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Every finnish prospect around here? Sorry I have to ask: You think that Barkov hasn't earned his "hype"? And about Petrell and M.Koivu, do you remember what they did in pro hockey at age 16-17? That's right, I don't either. Mikko Koivu was like 21 when he had a 30 point season while being **** defensively back then, Barkov is four years younger and likely to hit over 30 points so Barkov is probably already better than Koivu when he went overseas. FEL isn't an easy league by any standards, and doing what Barkov does, actually playing in it at a high level at the age of 17 is a feat only few finnish prospect do (not one of Bergenheim, Petrell or M.Koivu has done it).

It's easy to compare Barkov now to Koivu or even Bergenheim and say that they are better than Barkov, but when you think that Barkov is 17 year old who played junior B couple of seasons ago, and the others are 30 year old NHL players, you've got to wonder how the hell that comparison even crossed your mind. Barkov is one hell of a prospect, overhyping or not.
U cant actually make a comparision to anyone! Mikael Granlund was 2 yrs older than Barkov when he entered the league! Barkov played the year he turned 16 alrdy! Now he is elite in his league and turned 17 a month ago! This guy is the most impressive youngster I`ve seen since Saku Koivu. Difference is - Barkovs got size too!

Old
10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm gonna use this post for commentary on the game, and continuously edit it. I only started watching at the beginning of the 3rd period.

- Bergenheim and POS have looked like the best players so far this period, both very active, and a nice snipe by POS
- Tappara just killed off a penalty, Barkov was out there on the 1st PK unit for over a minute. He did a very good job, was cutting off passing lanes well, getting in good shot blocking position, and eventually was the one who cleared the puck after HIFK cycled for roughly a minute. He wasn't aggressive, but was good positionally
- HIFK just killed off a penalty. Barkov was on the 2nd PP, and really only got the puck once, but he made a nice pass to set up a scoring chance
- Barkov with a decent shot coming down the left wing in transition. Tappara got another PP, Barkov was on the first PP unit but Tappara never really got established in HIFK's zone. He got put out there again at the end of the PP, Tappara scored a garbage goal, Barkov was on the ice but wasn't involved (other than winning the faceoff) -> scratch that, goal called back, it was kicked in
- Tappara win 3-2. Barkov was one of the better players out there for the 3rd period, good on the PK and generated a couple chances on offence. Wasn't dominant or anything, but was one of the better players, along with Bergenheim and POS (admittedly I was paying more attention to the players I recognized, there were other good players out there but it's hard to keep track of everyone when a foreign language is being spoken)
I love it that you're doing these reports as a completely unbiased person, so thank you. If you wish I hope you continue doing them!

Too bad you didn't see the first two periods, as Tappara played very defensively as a team in the 3rd, Barkov's offensive abilities were better on display in the first two periods.

Old
10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Loffer

+1 Great reports by Ponder.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
thomast

Faceoff stats:
BARKOV Aleksander 56,80 (71/125)
He has won majority of faceoffs. I think that he is top 10 center at faceoffs at FEL by faceoff%. So talks about him being bad at faceoffs in FEL can end. That is impressive faceoff% for 17 year old kid.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:39 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Faceoff stats:
He has won majority of faceoffs. I think that he is top 10 center at faceoffs at FEL by faceoff%. So talks about him being bad at faceoffs in FEL can end. That is impressive faceoff% for 17 year old kid.
Wow that is impressive. I think it says a lot about Barkov that he is commited at such a young age to play such a good allround game. It seems like the only thing that is keeping this guy out of #1 discussion is an elite offensive package of hands, skating and shooting. As the season goes on he may prove that he does have the offense to be a top center in NA.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Barkov reminds me a bit of Sean Couturier, in that he puts up elite numbers and is good defensively, but doesn't have the flash that a Huberdeau or Drouin has. I thought Couturier should be top 3, and think the same about Barkov, but I wouldn't be surprised if he falls a bit in favor of some of the flashier prospects like Drouin.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Wow that is impressive. I think it says a lot about Barkov that he is commited at such a young age to play such a good allround game. It seems like the only thing that is keeping this guy out of #1 discussion is an elite offensive package of hands, skating and shooting. As the season goes on he may prove that he does have the offense to be a top center in NA.
I think we dont see him enough to appreciate the offensive package he has here in NA.

Hopefulyl WJC can remedy that, but he reminds me of some other bigger, super smart players that are devastating with the puck like Joe Thornton types.

Not exactly the flashiest, but not only do they create dangerous situation they know how to finish them.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I love it that you're doing these reports as a completely unbiased person, so thank you. If you wish I hope you continue doing them!

Too bad you didn't see the first two periods, as Tappara played very defensively as a team in the 3rd, Barkov's offensive abilities were better on display in the first two periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
+1 Great reports by Ponder.
No problem, will try to do at least a few more through the season. I like what I've seen so far, and want to see more. Agreed that it would have been nice to catch the whole game, Tappara were definitely sitting on the lead in the 3rd, and playing a fairly defensive/cautious games. Even still Barkov looked dangerous in flashes, I think what impresses me most is that he seems to create a decent scoring chance for his team almost every time he touches the puck in the offensive zone. He's not flashy, but when he gets the puck, good things happen. He seems to have a very high hockey IQ from the little I've seen.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
ponder

Quote:
Faceoff stats:
Impressive for sure, he was losing his draws in the first game I saw, but winning them in the 2nd, and obviously he's winning them more often than not. Not easy for a kid to beat men in the faceoff circle, but obviously Barkov is no ordinary kid.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Barkov reminds me a bit of Sean Couturier, in that he puts up elite numbers and is good defensively, but doesn't have the flash that a Huberdeau or Drouin has. I thought Couturier should be top 3, and think the same about Barkov, but I wouldn't be surprised if he falls a bit in favor of some of the flashier prospects like Drouin.
In most cases, I would agree.

Problem with Couturier was that he had a great frame and good overall skills, but his skating was average and that had some teams worrying whether that would hold him back.

While Barkov does have similar concerns, scoring at a pace he is (3rd overall) in the best league in Finland and against men, that will definitely help his case to anyone that questions his offensive ability.

For me, the difference is that Couturier was one of the top Q's scorers, but that was all he could do. He was never given a chance to prove he can do it against men. Barkov has that chance, and is seemingly running away with it.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:51 AM
jarnov

Quote:
Faceoff stats:
That's almost unreal considering that last season his win-% was only 33. A year ago his coach Dufva noted how fast Barkov adapted from junior game to men's level and continued that it's an attribute shared by quality players; they adapt fast.

Last edited by jarnov: 10-05-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
thomast

Today Tappara-Jokerit!

Barkov plays against Erik Karlsson, Valtteri Filppula, Teuvo Teräväinen and Teemu Pulkkinen and some ex NHLers Jarkko Ruutu and Ossi Väänänen. Now we can see how he fairs against very good NHL players and prospects. I hope we can find an stream for you guys. Match starts in 1 hour.

Not sure if this stream works:

Last edited by thomast: 10-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Loffer

Quote:
Today Tappara-Jokerit!

Barkov plays against Erik Karlsson, Valtteri Filppula, Teuvo Teräväinen and Teemu Pulkkinen and some ex NHLers Jarkko Ruutu and Ossi Väänänen. Now we can see how he fairs against very good NHL players and prospects. I hope we can find an stream for you guys. Match starts in 1 hour.

Not sure if this stream works:

It doesn't. Too bad, might have had a look at him-

Old
10-05-2012, 11:36 AM
TeppoWinnipeg

Stream for the game: http://www.twitch.tv/pietrooo1

Old
10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
jfb392

Loving the Crocs ad on the back of his jersey.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeppoWinnipeg View Post
Stream for the game: http://www.twitch.tv/pietrooo1
I just tuned in, is the game over, or between periods?

Edit: nevermind, 3rd period starting now

My stream of conciousness thoughts (with a heavy emphasis on Barkov), edited as the game goes on:
- Barkov looking good on breakouts, getting open in the middle of the ice well
- Jokerit are STACKED
- Filppula just scored, 4-1 Jokerit
- nice back check and rub out by Barkov
- good pressure by Tappara, almost scored
- Teravainen is a waterbug, very quick. He seems to be playing wing though, and is definitely the speedy-skinny type, I know a lot of Hawks fans are hoping he's the long term answer at #2 C, but he seems more like a winger
- Another solid strip by Barkov, closes/cuts off angles well
- More good puck-hounding by Barkov in the offensive and neutral zone. Hasn't done much with the puck this period, but looks good without it
- Nice goal by Tappara, great puck movement! (Barkov not on the ice)
- Another goal for Tappara, 4-3 now! Sustained pressure, Barkov did well behind the net and near the corners throughout the shift. Not sure if he got a secondary assist or not, but was contributing (edit: no points for Barkov, but was still good on the play)
- Super weak slapper from the point by Barkov, not his finest moment They're playing him a tonne right now though
- Ruutu goes down extremely easily after contact with a midget dman on Tappara, draws a penalty. PP for Jokerit coming up
- Barkov on first PK unit, gets puck, nice breakout pass to team-mate, results in good scoring chance on the PK
- Jokerit scores on the PP on a nice tip, top corner (Barkov not on the ice). 5-3 jokerit. Goal was Steve Moses (awesome name) tipping in a nice shot from Karlsson
- Game over. Really good period of hockey, almost a nice comeback by Tappara against a stacked Jokerit team, took it from 4-1 to 4-3

Summary: solid period by Barkov, wish I could have seen the whole game. Barkov didn't make any awesome plays or anything, wasn't dominant, and didn't put up any points, but played well defensively, did good work along the boards, and had a few nice passes. Looked like one of the better players on his team, and did not look out of place playing against a stacked team. From what I've seen of him in a few games so far, he looks like he'll be able to step into the NHL right after being drafted.

Last edited by ponder: 10-05-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 12:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I just tuned in, is the game over, or between periods?
Second intermission.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:36 PM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

Haapala looks like a hobbit out there

Closed Thread