HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2012, 06:14 PM
  #126
RedBaronIndian
Rest in Peace
 
RedBaronIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,650
vCash: 500
So mad about this. Totally unnecessary when the league is thriving as a whole. Didnt know I cared this much until today & the realization sucks.

RedBaronIndian is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
  #127
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I hear ya. Hence, lies the huge problem with today's NHL. Bettman needs to abandon his fantasy of successful hockey in Southern US. I live near TO and this area could easily support 3 NHL teams all by itself. (Toronto, Hamilton and Waterloo). Quebec could support another team and likely the Maritimes as well.

Edit:

I see today the NHL has cancelled the first 84 games... and so it begins. What a friggen joke this league has turned into.
Probably be better to roll with a 2nd team in Toronto.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
  #128
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,156
vCash: 500
the problem with the GTA is that Leafs will probably fight tooth and nail to prevent it...and league might not want to get into that sort of fight with that particular team.

more likely the next team (whether through expansion or relocation) is going to be in QC or Seattle.

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
  #129
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,486
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
NFL is popular for two reasons aside from the product on the field. Gambling and Fantasy Football. Do not underestimate the popularity of FF. Sprint entered in to a 600 million dollar deal with the NFL to broadcast FF stats. It's insane. 2 Billion is spent on fantasy sports by consumers.

To the previous point. There are plenty of alternatives in the states and most people simply don't care.
You missed the very important 3rd one, the amount of games. You essentially don't need to be a sports fan to be an NFL fan, cuz it only eats 1 day of your week. And with so few games, they're all so incredibly important.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
  #130
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You missed the very important 3rd one, the amount of games. You essentially don't need to be a sports fan to be an NFL fan, cuz it only eats 1 day of your week. And with so few games, they're all so incredibly important.
I made the Sunday point in my previous post. You could compare Bulls to Hawks in regards to alternative sports, number of games.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 07:09 PM
  #131
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I'm sorry but saying you're a hard core Hawks fan & you barely care in the same sentence doesn't add up.
Oh no! You've called my fandom into question. What will I do!?!?

Reality check superfan - the overwhelming majority of everyone else on this planet doesn't care either. No one's sending in the national guard. No one's calling for a special investigation. Heck, no one cared when the NBA had it's stoppage and the NBA is FAR more popular than the NHL.

Those of us who remember the cancelled season may be just a little jaded. Why would I get my undies in a bunch over this argument between well off players and rich owners?

After that season and the cliff that the NHL fell off of in terms of fan support, who thought we could ever be here again? Well, here we are!

It'll get resolved and when it does, I'll be ready to go. In the meantime, I've got plenty of other things on my plate. I can wait and I'm not spending my days gripping.

Gurth is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 07:34 PM
  #132
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
Oh no! You've called my fandom into question. What will I do!?!?

Reality check superfan - the overwhelming majority of everyone else on this planet doesn't care either. No one's sending in the national guard. No one's calling for a special investigation. Heck, no one cared when the NBA had it's stoppage and the NBA is FAR more popular than the NHL.

Those of us who remember the cancelled season may be just a little jaded. Why would I get my undies in a bunch over this argument between well off players and rich owners?

After that season and the cliff that the NHL fell off of in terms of fan support, who thought we could ever be here again? Well, here we are!

It'll get resolved and when it does, I'll be ready to go. In the meantime, I've got plenty of other things on my plate. I can wait and I'm not spending my days gripping.
That's good info but you're posting on a hockey forum about being a hardcore fan that doesn't give a **** about the lockout. Add to that you would care if they were contenders. That sounds pretty hardcore to me. Still doesn't make sense but to each their own I guess.

I'm pretty sure 100% of us have other things to do in lieu of NHL hockey. Doesn't mean we are happy about no hockey. I am debating your contradictory points. No need for personal attacks or sarcastic insults.

The NBA got far more coverage in the U.S. in regards to the lockout. A decent amount of the population doesn't even know there is a lockout in the NHL.


Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-04-2012 at 07:40 PM.
HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
  #133
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
That's good info but you're posting on a hockey forum about being a hardcore fan that doesn't give a **** about the lockout. Add to that you would care if they were contenders. That sounds pretty hardcore to me. Still doesn't make sense but to each their own I guess.

I'm pretty sure 100% of us have other things to do in lieu of NHL hockey. Doesn't mean we are happy about no hockey. I am debating your contradictory points. No need for personal attacks or sarcastic insults.

The NBA got far more coverage in the U.S. in regards to the lockout. A decent amount of the population doesn't even know there is a lockout in the NHL.

Didn't you insinuate that I must be a bandwagon fan because I'm sleeping like a baby, even through these dark, dark times?

The NBA got more coverage on ESPN because ESPN has a huge investment in the NBA. Fans were generally apathetic. Hockey is a niche sport. It's always amusing to see how some just can't grasp that the vast majority of sports fans don't care about your favorite sport.

Also, who has "no hockey?" I play twice a week. I coach my son's bantam team which practices twice a week and has 2-3 games a week. I have season tickets for a Division 1, Big 10 hockey program and live close enough to Rockford to see a few games a year there. Also have the Janesville Jets junior team not too far away although I've only ever seen them once.

Sure, I'll miss out on a few of the Hawks games this season that I otherwise would have gotten to, but there will be games and when there are, I'll go. Silver lining - Centre Ice should be prorated if the season is shorter!

There's been too many stoppages in all sports in my lifetime for me to get worked up over them anymore. I can wait. Again, once they cancelled a SEASON, they lost their ability to get me overly worked up. Baseball did it too.

I also never said that I'd "care more" if the Hawks were contenders. I said I'd be more anxious for the season to start. Big difference, even if a true hardcore fan like yourself can't see it.

Tell you what, I'll cede the title of "More Hardcore" to you. Wear it well. I'll sleep just fine tonight...


Last edited by Gurth: 10-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Gurth is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
  #134
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
Didn't you insinuate that I must be a bandwagon fan because I'm sleeping like a baby, even through these dark, dark times?

The NBA got more coverage on ESPN because ESPN has a huge investment in the NBA. Fans were generally apathetic. Hockey is a niche sport. It's always amusing to see how some just can't grasp that the vast majority of sports fans don't care about your favorite sport.

Also, who has "no hockey?" I play twice a week. I coach my son's bantam team which practices twice a week and has 2-3 games a week. I have season tickets for a Division 1, Big 10 hockey program and live close enough to Rockford to see a few games a year there. Also have the Janesville Jets junior team not too far away although I've only ever seen them once.

Sure, I'll miss out on a few of the Hawks games this season that I otherwise would have gotten to, but there will be games and when there are, I'll go. Silver lining - Centre Ice should be prorated if the season is shorter!

There's been too many stoppages in all sports in my lifetime for me to get worked up over them anymore. I can wait. Again, once they cancelled a SEASON, they lost their ability to get me overly worked up. Baseball did it too.

I also never said that I'd "care more" if the Hawks were contenders. I said I'd be more anxious for the season to start. Big difference, even if a true hardcore fan like yourself can't see it.

Tell you what, I'll cede the title of "More Hardcore" to you. Wear it well. I'll sleep just fine tonight...
Whatever. Your original post started out with I barely care about the lockout and ended with and I quote,

Quote:
PS - Now if I thought we were poised for another Cup, I might feel differently, but we're not. We're the same team as last year and that's not gonna get it done
That's what I had to work with. I highly doubt anyone here is losing sleep over the lockout. This is a hockey forum though and people are going to ***** about it. It's cool that you have a take or leave it attitude.

The NBA received more coverage period. Not just on ESPN.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 10:35 PM
  #135
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Whatever. Your original post started out with I barely care about the lockout and ended with and I quote,

That's what I had to work with. I highly doubt anyone here is losing sleep over the lockout. This is a hockey forum though and people are going to ***** about it. It's cool that you have a take or leave it attitude.

The NBA received more coverage period. Not just on ESPN.

I haven't changed my take from that first post.

The NBA got more coverage because it is far FAR more popular than the NHL and basketball is far FAR more popular and played than hockey.

Fans didn't care though like they did about the NFL.

Gurth is offline  
Old
10-04-2012, 11:01 PM
  #136
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
I haven't changed my take from that first post.

The NBA got more coverage because it is far FAR more popular than the NHL and basketball is far FAR more popular and played than hockey.

Fans didn't care though like they did about the NFL.
How do you know this? Just because there are more of them doesn't mean they cared more or less than NHL fans. Maybe you cared more about that lockout than this one. You can not definitively say one fan base is more impacted than the other, excluding the pure number of fans in the U.S. Many posters here are outside the U.S.

I have friends that definitely are pissed about this lockout and could care less about the NBA/NFL lockouts a year ago. I have more friends that are just the opposite. I also know people that watch every sport like a maniac and typically have fantasy teams too. MLB, College, NFL, NBA, NHL, UFC... I just can't seem to keep up. I put my eggs in a couple of baskets. Let's not forget the fans in Canada and worldwide.


Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-04-2012 at 11:19 PM.
HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 12:25 AM
  #137
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
How do you know this? Just because there are more of them doesn't mean they cared more or less than NHL fans. Maybe you cared more about that lockout than this one. You can not definitively say one fan base is more impacted than the other, excluding the pure number of fans in the U.S. Many posters here are outside the U.S.
Cared about which lockout more than this one?

The NBA? Nope - really don't follow the NBA.

The NFL? Nope - I knew they'd be back and sooner rather than later and I had college football to get me through until they did.


Fan apathy towards the NBA lockout as compared to the NFL lockout was widely reported and discussed at the time. Look it up.

Before the cancelled season, the NHL was considered one of the Big 4 sports leagues. Since then, there are only a Big 3. The NHL has never gotten back to where it was in terms of national awareness or stature.

You asked why no one in the U.S. was covering this? It's because not enough people in this country care or even know about it. What would you have them report?

Niche sport.

If you want coverage, check out TSN. It's not a niche sport in Canada and they're covering it wall to wall.

Gurth is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 12:38 AM
  #138
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
Cared about which lockout more than this one?

The NBA? Nope - really don't follow the NBA.

The NFL? Nope - I knew they'd be back and sooner rather than later and I had college football to get me through until they did.


Fan apathy towards the NBA lockout as compared to the NFL lockout was widely reported and discussed at the time. Look it up.

Before the cancelled season, the NHL was considered one of the Big 4 sports leagues. Since then, there are only a Big 3. The NHL has never gotten back to where it was in terms of national awareness or stature.

You asked why no one in the U.S. was covering this? It's because not enough people in this country care or even know about it. What would you have them report?

Niche sport.

If you want coverage, check out TSN. It's not a niche sport in Canada and they're covering it wall to wall.
You completely missed my point and spouted out a ton of dribble. My post has nothing to do with how YOU feel.

Follow along. You said fans did not care like they did about the NFL lockout. None of what you posted clears up whether NHL fans care more or less than any other sports fans about their respective lock outs. We all know that hockey is behind the other three in the U.S. We all know it is covered less in the U.S. You're making no sense to back up your broad generalizations.


Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-05-2012 at 12:44 AM.
HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 07:16 AM
  #139
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
You completely missed my point and spouted out a ton of dribble. My post has nothing to do with how YOU feel.

Follow along. You said fans did not care like they did about the NFL lockout. None of what you posted clears up whether NHL fans care more or less than any other sports fans about their respective lock outs. We all know that hockey is behind the other three in the U.S. We all know it is covered less in the U.S. You're making no sense to back up your broad generalizations.

You asked why it isn't being covered more by national media. It isn't being covered more because not enough general sports fans and casual sports fans give a crap. I will restate - General sports fans do not care even 5% as much about this lockout as they did about the NFL's.

"NHL fans" and how they feel is irrelevant to how much it's being covered by national sports media. NHL fans can get their coverage on the NHL Network.

Locally, I can't remember more than even a passing mention of it on The Score. Even Chicago sports media doesn't care. Why? Da Bears!

And 30 other subjects that they'd rather talk about and general sports fans would rather hear about.

Gurth is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
  #140
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
You asked why it isn't being covered more by national media. It isn't being covered more because not enough general sports fans and casual sports fans give a crap. I will restate - General sports fans do not care even 5% as much about this lockout as they did about the NFL's.

"NHL fans" and how they feel is irrelevant to how much it's being covered by national sports media. NHL fans can get their coverage on the NHL Network.

Locally, I can't remember more than even a passing mention of it on The Score. Even Chicago sports media doesn't care. Why? Da Bears!

And 30 other subjects that they'd rather talk about and general sports fans would rather hear about.
What in your post is news to anyone that lives in Chicago? Can you read? I never asked a question as to why the lockout is not being covered by the national media. Please find a quote that indicates that. You throw in other topics to avoid the ones you back yourself in to a corner on. In three posts you still have yet to answer my initial question. Do NHL fans care more or less about the lockout than fans of other sports? It has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage in the U.S.


Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-05-2012 at 11:22 AM.
HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
  #141
Gurth
Registered User
 
Gurth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Madison
Country: United States
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
What in your post is news to anyone that lives in Chicago? Can you read? I never asked a question as to why the lockout is not being covered by the national media. Please find a quote that indicates that. You throw in other topics to avoid the ones you back yourself in to a corner on. In three posts you still have yet to answer my initial question. Do NHL fans care more or less about the lockout than fans of other sports? It has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage in the U.S.

What exactly did you mean then when you said:

"What sucks is nobody seems to care except hard core fans. When the NFL was at this point last year there was external pressure in the U.S. to get a deal done, Obama even spoke out. I wish the government would threaten them with anit-trust to get both sides moving."

And I guess you technically didn't ask, but you said this:

"The NBA got far more coverage in the U.S. in regards to the lockout. A decent amount of the population doesn't even know there is a lockout in the NHL."


Again, it doesn't matter how much NHL fans care about this in terms of Obama speaking out, external pressure in the US or anything else that you think should or wish would happen. It only matters if it's a big enough interest to enough people and it's not.

I never said that NHL fans weren't as gripped about this as NFL fans were about theirs. I said that the general sports watching/following public was actually concerned and upset about the NFL lockout, hence the coverage, Obama, etc. The general sports watching/following public obviously doesn't care about the NHL lockout, hence the absence of coverage, lack of Obama getting involved, etc.

Niche sport.

Keep pointing out how I'm wrong or double talking or backing into a corner though. My point has not wavered.

Gurth is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:08 PM
  #142
BlackhawkPaul
Indian Head Nation
 
BlackhawkPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I wish we could get the KHL games or something, do they stream?
I watched the replay last evening on ESPN2 featuring Dynamo and Lev.
It was like watching flies *******.
The only tally by Ovechkin was a crap goal.

Yes, it's televised hockey, but give me the AHL over this league.

BlackhawkPaul is offline  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
  #143
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55,507
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawkPaul View Post
I watched the replay last evening on ESPN2 featuring Dynamo and Lev.
It was like watching flies *******.
The only tally by Ovechkin was a crap goal.

Yes, it's televised hockey, but give me the AHL over this league.
I turned it on yesterday evening for half a period or so as well... I turned it off just looking for anything else to watch.

I did nearly **** myself when I saw Hossa, and 81 on the back of the jersey... And then my brain started to work again.

RayP is online now  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:18 PM
  #144
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,486
vCash: 772
I watched most of the game at work, it was terrible.

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:19 PM
  #145
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55,507
vCash: 50
The announcing was particularly bad. It was like two guys that were casually announcing a game of 3 on 3 hoops in the park.

RayP is online now  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
  #146
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,486
vCash: 772
Yeah, I heard Levy and Melrose werejust mailing it in. I didn't listen to any of it, kept The Score on during work.

The play is just bleh though. Very soft, hardly any board battling or anything. Guys are far too finesse, just take a shot damnit!

IU Hawks fan is online now  
Old
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
  #147
RayP
Registered User
 
RayP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 55,507
vCash: 50
Yeah, the play was brutal. Ovechkin you could tell was just out there to collect a check, at least from when I was watching. The play was just really sloppy, and not entertaining to watch at all.

RayP is online now  
Old
10-12-2012, 03:20 AM
  #148
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,156
vCash: 500
The Nov. 3 game in Toronto is presumably out the window (which I was going to go to)

...and Nov 5 w/ Crosby at the UC is also gone

Damn you NHL/NHLPA

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
  #149
BlackhawkPaul
Indian Head Nation
 
BlackhawkPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
The Nov. 3 game in Toronto is presumably out the window (which I was going to go to)

...and Nov 5 w/ Crosby at the UC is also gone

Damn you NHL/NHLPA
Yeah,
We all get to take the Sandusky p*nis right in our bums.

I want to walk away, but they keep pulling me back in!

BlackhawkPaul is offline  
Old
10-13-2012, 10:58 AM
  #150
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,156
vCash: 500
Right now the Blackhawks should be having their first morning skate of the season...but they're not

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.