HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Defenceman of All Time #2

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest defencemen of all time? #2
Eddie Shore 37 37.00%
Doug Harvey 16 16.00%
Denis Potvin 8 8.00%
Ray Bourque 30 30.00%
Red Kelly 0 0%
Larry Robinson 1 1.00%
Chris Chelios 1 1.00%
Paul Coffey 4 4.00%
Nick Lidstrom 3 3.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2006, 10:44 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
I can't believe how many votes Bourque is getting. I have Bourque around 5th or 6th. I always have a hard time deciding if him or Robinson is better. Furthermore, I can't believe how few votes Harvey has.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 10:59 PM
pappyline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
I can't believe how many votes Bourque is getting. I have Bourque around 5th or 6th. I always have a hard time deciding if him or Robinson is better. Furthermore, I can't believe how few votes Harvey has.
Also dumfounded. Maybe because a lot of the voters saw Bourque play, No doubt he was exceptional. Still no question to me that Orr is #1 and Shore & Harvey are neck & neck for # 2. I voted Shore but by a hair. I saw Harvey play and boy he was smooth. He definitely will be my # 3. Would consider Bourque for # 4. Bewilders me that anyone would vote for Chelios at this stage (mind you I think he is a creep)

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Murphy

I'm guilty of this to a certain extent. With this poll in particular I have read quite a bit about Shore, I think he was an a-hole to the extreme and given that I didn't spend much more than 5 seconds making my decision when I chose Bourque, I chose him. I can't see myself choosing Chelios for the same reason because of my personal dislike for the guy.

Now that isn't a good reason at all but I'm guilty of choosing guys I've actually watched and I don't think I'm the only one. I consider myself quite fortunate to have been able to watch Bourque's entire career as he was one of the all-time best.

Now with what I've read and heard about Harvey, I think he probably was better than Bourque but I do think it's close and the deciding factor for me usually is what I've actally seen.

Now if I was on a panel trying to put together a definitive list I'd certainly give more weight to history.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2006, 11:28 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy2
I'm guilty of this to a certain extent. With this poll in particular I have read quite a bit about Shore, I think he was an a-hole to the extreme and given that I didn't spend much more than 5 seconds making my decision when I chose Bourque, I chose him. I can't see myself choosing Chelios for the same reason because of my personal dislike for the guy.

Now that isn't a good reason at all but I'm guilty of choosing guys I've actually watched and I don't think I'm the only one. I consider myself quite fortunate to have been able to watch Bourque's entire career as he was one of the all-time best.

Now with what I've read and heard about Harvey, I think he probably was better than Bourque but I do think it's close and the deciding factor for me usually is what I've actally seen.

Now if I was on a panel trying to put together a definitive list I'd certainly give more weight to history.
I never saw Shore play but have read a lot about him & voted him #2 in this poll. No doubt he was an A-Hole but a very very talented one. I consider him hockey's equivalent to TY Cobb.

Regarding Chelios, I have a personal story regarding him. the first year after moving to Massachusetts from Ontario, I took my two youngeat up to Montreal for a tournament. A kindly security guard let us into the old forum. The Canadiens were on the road. however, Chelios was on the ice with a trainer coming off an injury. The kids were all lined up with paper & pens waiting for autographs & that ***** skated off the ice without even acknowledging the kids. The Trainer was a good guy & dumped a bucket of pucks over the boards for the kids. Yes, Chelios looks like a jerk & is a jerk.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Bluesfan1981

I voted Harvey #2. 10 All-NHL 1st team selections in 11 years. 7 Norris trophies in 8 years. 6 Stanley Cups, including 5 in a row.

This page has Harvey and Orr as the top two. http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/history/b...yers_ever.html

This one has Harvey ahead of Shore
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=142273

Most I've seen have Harvey 2nd, but it can go either way. But Ray Bourque certainly shouldn't be 2nd or 3rd.

Bluesfan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 08:34 AM
PurpleShamrock

Shore and Harvey are numbers 2 and 2A IMHO. Obviously, I'm limited to vicarious judgments in both cases. But the book on Harvey is that he was probably the greatest pure defensive defenseman ever, while Shore is widely regarded as the most dominating player of his era. A tough call indeed, but after much internal debate, I went with Shore.

Add Park and Fetisov, please.

PurpleShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I loved Bourque's game.....but he isn't even the second best Bruins d-man, let alone all time.

I had to ask my dad about this one.... I was torn between Shore and Harvey.

He said Shore and that if Harvey wasn't #3 then we don't know what we are doing.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Doug Harvey

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 11:48 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Voted Lidstrom

Add Fetisov

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Shore

Add Stevens and Fetisov
what he said

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Hockey Outsider

Voted Shore (4 Hart's and probably 8 Norris's if they were around back then). No idea how Bourque has so many votes.

Add Park and Fetisov (though it seems a bit inconsistent that we're likely including Fetisov on this poll, but we never included Kharlamov, Makarov, etc., on the Greatest Forwards list).

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Although I wanted to vote for Harvey, I voted for Shore in order to prevent a Bourque win. Bourque doesn't deserve to be in the top 5, let alone #2.

Add Pilote and Chelios. Remove Coffey

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 05-08-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I loved Bourque's game.....but he isn't even the second best Bruins d-man, let alone all time.

I had to ask my dad about this one.... I was torn between Shore and Harvey.

He said Shore and that if Harvey wasn't #3 then we don't know what we are doing.

Sure, wally... if 'asking my dad' is what you call digging deep into your personal memories these days

Bring Back Bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 04:05 AM
WheresBarnaby

Why in gods name isn't Brian Leetch listed here?

GP G A Pts
1205 247 781 1028

Last edited by WheresBarnaby: 05-09-2006 at 05:30 AM.
WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
God Bless Canada

There's far more to evaluating a defenceman than stats. Only a fool would use stats as the primary evaluating criteria for a defenceman. There are better defencemen who haven't been added. It looks like Stevens will be added, and I'll argue there are better defencemen than Stevens. (Park, Pilote, Horton, Clapper and King Clancy).

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby
Why in gods name isn't Brian Leetch listed here?

GP G A Pts
1205 247 781 1028
Leetch isn't on here because there are many other defencemen who are better than him.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2006, 03:38 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
There's far more to evaluating a defenceman than stats. Only a fool would use stats as the primary evaluating criteria for a defenceman. There are better defencemen who haven't been added. It looks like Stevens will be added, and I'll argue there are better defencemen than Stevens. (Park, Pilote, Horton, Clapper and King Clancy).
Of course it takes more than that, but stats are a good indication. So how about awards and recognitions then? Or how bout the fact that the man can shoot, pass, skate, check, and play positional with the best of em?

All star x11 (played 9)
Norris trophy winner x2
Calder trophy
Conn Smith trophy 94'
NYR MVP x6

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote