HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Most Ironic Trades Ever

Old
10-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Not a trade, but its too funny and fitting not to post. Ottawa drafted Mathieu Chouinard in the first round in '98 but were unable to come to agreement on a contract enabling him to re-enter the draft only to be picked by the sens again in 2000. Ultimate troll job b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Wings make everyone mad when they draft Joe Murphy over hometown Kid Jimmy Carson.

Carson turns into a crazy goal scorer. Murphy was a bust.

Detroit trades Murphy and Graves and Klima for Carson and whoever.... Carson's career immediately goes in the toilet while Murphy wins the Cup, turns into a solid two-way guy and Graves becomes a big time goal scorer
Both of these tales. Amazing

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
I can't remember the names but Montreal and Boston(?) had a one for one trade and then the next offseason both players resigned with their original team. The following deadline one year to the day of the first trade they were traded for eachother again.
imagine their faces the second time

Old
10-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

I remember a few years back dealing Higgins and Kotalik to the Flames for Olli Jokinen. That was basically the deal, we were getting Jokinen. We also got this random guy named Brandon Prust as a throw in.

Fast forward to today and Olli Jokinen was a disaster here, and meanwhile Prust had two and a half fabulous years on Broadway and became one of the most popular Rangers. I'd deal Kotalik and Higgins for him all over again.

I love trades like this where the throw in becomes the key piece.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:39 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 1562
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
The old Hossa trade had an ironic touch back then.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Man Bear Pig

Dion Phaneuf for Sean Avery+2nd

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

I don't think there are any ironic trades as the definition doesn't work well in trades

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

If I wanted a lecture on the true meaning of irony I'd go to English class.

It's HF people, you know what "ironic" is supposed to mean in a connotative sense for the purposes of this thread. Just go with it.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I remember a few years back dealing Higgins and Kotalik to the Flames for Olli Jokinen. That was basically the deal, we were getting Jokinen. We also got this random guy named Brandon Prust as a throw in.

Fast forward to today and Olli Jokinen was a disaster here, and meanwhile Prust had two and a half fabulous years on Broadway and became one of the most popular Rangers. I'd deal Kotalik and Higgins for him all over again.

Even though Hossa was very useful during his short tenure in Pittsburgh, some Pens fans have started calling the "Hossa" trade the "Dupuis" trade on our board. Pascal was considered to be a throw in to replace Armstrong on our roster and he's been the center piece of the trade.

Basically, we traded a bust, a pick that became a bust and Armstrong for Hossa and Dupuis. I'd trade Esposito, Léveillé and Armstrong for Dupuis anyday.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Even though Hossa was very useful during his short tenure in Pittsburgh, some Pens fans have started calling the "Hossa" trade the "Dupuis" trade on our board. Pascal was considered to be a throw in to replace Armstrong on our roster and he's been the center piece of the trade.

Basically, we traded a bust, a pick that became a bust and Armstrong for Hossa and Dupuis. I'd trade Esposito, Léveillé and Armstrong for Dupuis anyday.
Wasn't Erik Christensen in tht trade as well? Not that it changes the scope any

Old
10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
There's some serious Alanis Morissette-ing going on in here.
Agreed. There is a serious lack of irony in here.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
There's some serious Alanis Morissette-ing going on in here.
a little too ironic.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Not sure this is ironic, and it's not a trade, but waiver pick-up...

For the Habs, in 2008-2009, Glen Metropolit, who was with the Philadelphia Flyers, was picked up off waivers by Montreal, who were visiting the Flyers. Metropolit knew he was picked-up before the warm up I think (not sure about that one though). So he just had to switch dressing room, before playing against the team he was with something like 20 minutes before.

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:18 AM
KidLine93

Philly trading Carter and Richards because they felt they wouldn't win a cup with those two guys as their future.....that season they both end up in LA and win a cup

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
SonOfWade

My favorite "bizarre" trade:

In January, 1990, John Tucker was traded from the Buffalo Sabres to the Washington Capitals for future considerations.

In July, 1990, the Sabres received the future considerations back from the Capitals, which were... John Tucker.

So, John Tucker was in essence traded for himself.

SonOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
I'm bored.

And by ironic i mean like, rivals making trades, players that hate each other who get traded for each other, stuff like that.

Try to explain a little if the trade is outdated.
I think the Seguin, Hamilton and Knight for Kessel deal is shaping up to be pretty ironic. The Leafs still need a offensive number one centerman, which Seguin was coming out of the draft, while Boston let go a speedy sniping winger, whom they are trying to convert Seguin into. Both players are great, but Kessel probably gives the Bruins more of an exact fit of what they need in a player, and Seguin would have solved that Toronto need in the worst way.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
mercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Now im sad.
You should be sadder, actually. A few years ago, that line would absolutely destroy the league.

mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:05 PM
SuperJayMann

Here's irony. Leafs trade a first for Tom Kurvers thinking he'll be that number one D man. The first turns into Scott Nidermayer, a true number one

Leafs trade Rask for Raycroft, it happens again.

SuperJayMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

To be fair, Flames fans were pretty pissed we threw Prust into the deal, we all saw the potential in that guy.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanRocket91 View Post
When the Ducks traded Andy Mac to St.Louis for Doug Weight
That strikes me more as tragic than ironic.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I too first thought of Richards and Carter, both being traded on the same day, because Flyers management didn't believe they would ever help the Flyers to a Cup. One traded to a good playoff contender, the other traded to a what seemed to be up-and-coming bottom-feeder. Ironically, they both end up winning the Cup, together, the year Philly ships then both out, on another team. I think the second Carter trade was most ironic in this case. Who would have thought he would have been traded less than a year after the first trade, to the SAME team Richards was traded to, AND they end up winning the Cup together in that first year there? I love it.

Also, the Cole trades. Carolina trades him away for Joni Pitkanen. Ironically, they re-acquire him and a 5th at that year's trade deadline for Patrick O'Sullivan (who they acquire with a 2nd for Justin Williams) and a 2nd. Ironically, O'Sullivan eventually played for the Hurricanes (and the Wild too for that matter) years after already being their property. Cole goes on to return to Carolina and is then teammates with Pitkanen, the guy he was traded for in a one-for-one swap. He is also brought back in the trade due to a former teammate (Williams) being shipped out so the Canes could re-acquire him.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:43 PM
outoftune

I got a few for the flames........ not a flames fan but together i think they work under the circumstances

Jordan Leo- trade to Col- then trade for him to get him back to Calgary- (possibly losing both trades

Mike Cammalleri- free agency because they didnt want to pay him so much then trading for him on the contract they wouldnt pay in the first place

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
WTFMAN99

JFJ trading Rask to shore up our goaltending and lands Raycroft...

then trading 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a 4th for Toskala and Bell (salary dump) to shore up goaltending

On the other hand Anaheim let Beauchemin go because they didnt want to pay what he was asking. They then trade Lupul (who was supposed to be a cap dump but then becomes incredibly productive) Gardiner who is lookling like he will be a top 4 defenseman and a pick...for Beauchemin...

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
On the other hand Anaheim let Beauchemin go because they didnt want to pay what he was asking. They then trade Lupul (who was supposed to be a cap dump but then becomes incredibly productive) Gardiner who is lookling like he will be a top 4 defenseman and a pick...for Beauchemin...
Didn't Anaheim think they would still be ok trading Gardiner because they thought eventually Justin Schultz would be playing for them and we all know what happened.

Plus there was talk in the Lupul/Gardiner for Beauchemin trade that Burke originally asked for Schultz and instead Bob Murrary said he could have Gardiner.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:15 AM
apice3*

Ducks had Rob Niedermayer. Devils had Scott Niedermayer.

Scott left the Devils to join the Ducks to play with Rob.

A few years later, Devils sign Rob.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:19 AM
DG

Here's one I just remembered:

Quote:
On October 1, 2002, prior to the beginning of the 2002–03 NHL season, Calgary traded McAmmond with Jeff Shantz and Derek Morris to the Colorado Avalanche for Stéphane Yelle and Chris Drury. In the midst of an injury-filled season with the Avalanche, Calgary re-acquired McAmmond from Colorado on March 11, 2003 for a fifth-round selection in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. The NHL ruled McAmmond ineligible to participate for the remainder of the season, however, as the trade violated a league regulation that prohibited a player from being traded back to a team within 12 months on the same contract.
I thought I remembered that there was "future considerations" involved and that meant that essentially McAmmond was traded for himself. But I guess I remember it wrong.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote