HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Oil Kings Thread: 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

A real dog's ass of a game. No effort by the Oil Kings tonight.
Was tonight just as bad or worse than the Calgary game last friday.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
Was tonight just as bad or worse than the Calgary game last friday.
Much worse.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Tonight's game was for sure, a let down.

Jarry did not look good at all tonight. That MacNeil goal was very, very weak.

Corbett didn't look good tonight as well. I like Legault, quite a bit actually, and he didn't look great tonight either.

As IATL said, they looked flat. We had trouble keeping it in their zone. Some pluses: I liked Ewanyuk's game, and Moroz looked good too. Also a big fan of Geertsen.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:15 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Reinhart was flat out dominant at times tonight. Moroz is swift for a big boy. Samuelsson can really lug that puck. Lazar had a bad game defensively. Quite quick witted offensively. Geertson is actually a pretty fluid skater and puck handler. Surprised he has had so little points his first two years.
What do you mean Samuelsson can lug the puck? He's actually quite slow but he's competitive and chippy as hell with great hands which I like. I saw Phoenix GM Don Maloney at the game on Friday and got the chance to talk to him a little about Samuelsson which was interesting.

And Geertsen has only played one year, which was last year and he was injured for a bit and also in and out of the lineup as a spare pairing guy.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I am the Liquor

Attendance just over 3k tonight.

Not sure what the problem is with people in this town, but that number is pathetic.

Especially during a lockout.

Go out and support this team.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:36 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

Not sure what the problem is with people in this town, but that number is pathetic.

I think it will get better mid-month when people start missing Oilers hockey. Weekdays are hard when it's not Oilers to be honest, I couldn't make it tonight but I'll be at the game Saturday.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I think it will get better mid-month when people start missing Oilers hockey. Weekdays are hard when it's not Oilers to be honest, I couldn't make it tonight but I'll be at the game Saturday.
I dont know though. The Oilers sell out weekdays, weekends, whatever. And that team absolutely sucks. Its not even entertaining to watch lots of times and costs ten times as much. The last Calgary game was on a weekend I believe. Friday night. 5500.

Maybe they arent marketing it properly. You dont hear much about the Oil Kings if you arent listening to sports radio. The sales/administration staff seem pretty unorganized at times too. They sure didnt make it easy for me to purchase season tickets last year during the playoffs.

It is frustrating though.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:45 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

Why do you assume people "have a problem" ?
Maybe they just don't like junior hockey.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
ales83fan

I personally don't like the annoying kids and families. It makes the atmosphere pretty lame for a university student.

I'll go to some games, but now is midterm season and I have a big test on Saturday, so I wasn't going to make it whether there were children in the audience or not.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:14 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Zero advertisement is the problem.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:23 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Zero advertisement is the problem.
I was thinking that, but they got quite a bit of press with the playoffs/championship/Memorial Cup last year.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
I was thinking that, but they got quite a bit of press with the playoffs/championship/Memorial Cup last year.
What good is that? I'm talking about gameday advertisement. I was on the Edmonton Sun site yesterday and the only thing I saw was tabloids. How about today you think there is any mention on the main page that they played last night?

Listened to about 1 hour 13 minutes of talk radio on 1260 yesterday, not a mention, although 20 minutes was Rome.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Hey IATL, or anyone for that matter.

Do they serve brews during the (entire) game? Was gonna get me and some buddies tickets over the winter holidays and this was the first question they asked.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Hey IATL, or anyone for that matter.

Do they serve brews during the (entire) game? Was gonna get me and some buddies tickets over the winter holidays and this was the first question they asked.
Anytime up until the third period. They cut off sales then. But you can easily stock up before that happens.

If you want to drink, you would be better off sneaking in a flask or a mickey.

$8 a beer is just not worth it.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Anytime up until the third period. They cut off sales then. But you can easily stock up before that happens.

If you want to drink, you would be better off sneaking in a flask or a mickey.

$8 a beer is just not worth it.
Agreed. But with the pipes at Rexall and the heroin beer that comes out of it, I'd much rather pay the $8 at Rexall then here at the Garden or Fenway.

Thanks for the info.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
or else Katz will move the team to Seattle.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:10 PM
40oz

Quote:

There is literally no buzz around them, it's really disappointing. Unfortunately I'm taking night classes so I'm stuck with settling on weekend games. But even the Calgary game should have had higher numbers.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I went to the game last night. I thought they shoud have put er away in the irst, but their goalie has to be given some credit. But after the first, it was pretty much a non effort by the Oil Kings. Pretty crappy game actually. Quite the difference from what I saw in the playoffs last year.

It's the beginning of the season though, they still have to find their way I think.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:16 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
There is literally no buzz around them, it's really disappointing. Unfortunately I'm taking night classes so I'm stuck with settling on weekend games. But even the Calgary game should have had higher numbers.
It's weird though, I'm university-aged and brought 4 other friends to the Calgary game and when I suggested it everyone was automatically game to go, they were excited even. They'd maybe all gone to 1 or 2 in the past, maybe none. The weird thing was it required literally zero prompting or convincing, they're at the perfect time, they wanted to go out afterwards to Whyte and we still made it there easily. It had just never occurred to them to attend before, they're all big hockey fans too, NHL fans that watch almost every Oilers game and any other games that are on TV.

It just seems like it doesn't connect with people or occur to them to attend. It's not an option when you're thinking of something to do—and that's where the Oil Kings marketing is coming into fail. I would classify my friends as above casual fans but not extremely hardcore, so why wouldn't they want to go to Oil Kings games for way cheaper when they like drink beer and go to an Oilers game whenever they can?

Old
10-06-2012, 03:15 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
It's weird though, I'm university-aged and brought 4 other friends to the Calgary game and when I suggested it everyone was automatically game to go, they were excited even. They'd maybe all gone to 1 or 2 in the past, maybe none. The weird thing was it required literally zero prompting or convincing, they're at the perfect time, they wanted to go out afterwards to Whyte and we still made it there easily. It had just never occurred to them to attend before, they're all big hockey fans too, NHL fans that watch almost every Oilers game and any other games that are on TV.

It just seems like it doesn't connect with people or occur to them to attend. It's not an option when you're thinking of something to do—and that's where the Oil Kings marketing is coming into fail. I would classify my friends as above casual fans but not extremely hardcore, so why wouldn't they want to go to Oil Kings games for way cheaper when they like drink beer and go to an Oilers game whenever they can?

I'm seeing the exact same thing, and it's awesome that games are quicker than Oilers games because it gives more time to head downtown or to Whyte. I went with 4 friends last friday and we were on Whyte by 10 after. Most of the times I went I brought people to their first games and they wondered why they've never been before and want to start going to more games.

Rush tickets are more expensive and throughout their history they've been a losing team. But they draw much bigger crowds. I'm sure part of it is because lacrosse is fun as hell to watch, but also they advertise to a much older crowd (all weekend games really help them there though).

Old
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Bandwagon media.

Nobody knows when the team is playing, how much it costs to go. When you do want to go its usually a cluster**** because they're pretty disorganized.

I've been trying to go but I'm busy most nights.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:49 PM
lopper

Attendance aside, the Oil Kings better bring their A game tonight because with a team that has this much talent a three game losing streak is unacceptable.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
puckfan13

My friend in Toronto went to the Missisauga Steelheads OHL game last night and announced attendance was 1500.... At least Oil Kings are drawing better than that..

Old
10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
monkeywrench

Does anyone know if Lowe is back in the lineup again?

Old
10-06-2012, 04:58 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
I personally don't like the annoying kids and families. It makes the atmosphere pretty lame for a university student.
I unfortunately avoid the games for this exact reason.

Closed Thread