HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toews, Wirtz, and Bettman

Old
10-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
I think Wirtz says they are losing money to justify hiking tickets.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
perhaps it was foolish of me to assume the posters on this site would learn reading comprehension in my absence. I never "Defended" Bill Wirtz, I'm just not on my knees for Rocky. He is just as bad. But everyone just sees home games on television, and think he's a god.
Rocky is not "just as bad" as Bill...that doesn't mean he's good...may well be bad, too - but he's nothing close to being as brutal as Bill was for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, he's not. We have home games on TV now. I know your not from around here and all, but to us locally, that alone will make him not as bad.
It has nothing to do with being from Chicago or not...I'm not from Chicago and I see how important it was to put the games on local t.v. It's good for fans of a team everywhere for the local fan base to increase. One of the reasons I became more of a Hawks fan is b/c once the home games were put on tv my cousins in Chicago started watching more and becoming more interested in hockey...so I started following the Hawks, b/c it was easier for me to follow the team than it was to get kids from Chicago to start caring about the Leafs ... and it meant me/my cousins had a team in common.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, he's not. We have home games on TV now. I know your not from around here and all, but to us locally, that alone will make him not as bad.
No kidding. I remember freaking out that I got to see the Hawks play Atlanta or something on ESPN one time at home without a blackout. I didn't do it for as long as most, but until the renaissance, I listened to half the games on the radio. Canadians just don't understand the magnitude since they didn't experience it.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
hockeydoug

Rocky isn't much different than his dad. He just runs this particular business differently (much better imo). He's still going to nickle and dime us and lobby to protect his liquor distribution. He'll mislead about revenue and he has obviously stepped in line with the other owners.

I wouldn't trade him for anything though. He believes the best marketing strategy is winning and the best way to nickle and dime us is to get us to want to pay for the product. I wish every city was so lucky, I'm not going to fault him as an owner.

It is curious that he didn't want to be on the BOG or involved in the day to day operations of the league like his dad. I still haven't understood why. I wonder if his philosophy is closer to the Dolan camp of owners or the Jacobs camp. If WWW were still here, I can't imagine the league having so many franchises with stable ownership. I'm sure he was a great person away from the franchise, but I don't miss him.

I wonder how much of this negotiation is Gary's work and how much is Jacobs and the BOG. I'm hoping for an autographed copy of Gary's book when he retires in 2028 to find the answers.

Toews has to be hanging around with JR or something. Montador and Sharp gave interviews today and didn't go any where near that b.s. Of the comments and interviews of more than a dozen other players I read today, not one of them made comments similar to Toews. He should just start bashing Rocky at this point, but I would still prefer that he shut his mouth.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Rocky is not just as bad. He actually pays for talent and then retains said talent.

Two things $Bill was not a big fan of.
Bill was owner when all of those "horrible contracts" were signed in the early to mid 00's

but I know what you're saying, I lived through it as well, just think though, what is the most you ever paid for a ticket in $Bill's reign?

You don't think they are close? Just wait. The true fans are all ready dropping season tickets that they've had for 10-15-20 years because there is no more loyalty.

Rocky only see's money, just like his dad.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Bill was owner when all of those "horrible contracts" were signed in the early to mid 00's

but I know what you're saying, I lived through it as well, just think though, what is the most you ever paid for a ticket in $Bill's reign?

You don't think they are close? Just wait. The true fans are all ready dropping season tickets that they've had for 10-15-20 years because there is no more loyalty.

Of course, but he gets his money in a more efficient manner that doesn't piss his fans off.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I think Wirtz says they are losing money to justify hiking tickets.
...not to mention why salaries need to reduced (and the lockout is necessary).

Old
10-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Of course, but he gets his money in a more efficient manner that doesn't piss his fans off.
tell that to the fans that can no longer afford to go, who have had season tickets for decades.

Old
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

I don't think that was generosity. It's pretty hard to charge Leafs-level prices when the arena is mainly empty.

Rocky hasn't jacked up prices because of thoughtless greed...he's done it because he can. The Hawks have set a franchise record for consecutive sellouts - which let's the team increase the prices more.

Here is a list of the avg. ticket prices for 2011/12

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...-ticket-in-nhl

The Hawks are actually in the middle. It should be no surprise that the 6 highest prices are Canadian teams...with my own darling (and playoff-free zone) city leading the way

Quote:
tell that to the fans that can no longer afford to go, who have had season tickets for decades.
Given your current location is "Ontario", your handwringing over the price of Hawks tickets is either naivete or outright trolling

Old
10-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I don't think that was generosity. It's pretty hard to charge Leafs-level prices when the arena is mainly empty.

Rocky hasn't jacked up prices because of thoughtless greed...he's done it because he can. The Hawks have set a franchise record for consecutive sellouts - which let's the team increase the prices more.

Here is a list of the avg. ticket prices for 2011/12

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...-ticket-in-nhl

The Hawks are actually in the middle. It should be no surprise that the 6 highest prices are Canadian teams...with my own darling (and playoff-free zone) city leading the way

Given your current location is "Ontario", your handwringing over the price of Hawks tickets is either naivete or outright trolling

I have family and friends in Chicago, and go to quite a few games a year. How many have you gone to?

Old
10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
I have family and friends in Chicago, and go to quite a few games a year. How many have you gone to?
Sadly none in Chicago - but I look forward to being able to when i can find time to squeeze one in when i'm down there b/c the price is so much cheaper than what I'm forced to shell out in Toronto or Montreal.

It must be nice to be able to head down there for "quite a few games" each year - I know if I had the time I certainly would do it happily, without complaint, given the prices in Chicago - rather than relying on freebie corporate tickets or being forced to pay $200+ for the Leafs or Habs.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Considering the Hawks sell out every game, Rocky doesn't have to "justify" hiking ticket prices.

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Sadly none in Chicago - but I look forward to being able to when i can find time to squeeze one in when i'm down there b/c the price is so much cheaper than what I'm forced to shell out in Toronto or Montreal.

It must be nice to be able to head down there for "quite a few games" each year - I know if I had the time I certainly would do it happily, without complaint, given the prices in Chicago - rather than relying on freebie corporate tickets or being forced to pay $200+ for the Leafs or Habs.

It is very nice. Typically only two a year, but it wasn't uncommon for the drive and tickets to cost less than the tickets and a subway ride when they played at the ACC (not to mention that is only once every two years) I usually make a weekend out of it, stay at a friends, etc.

Never paid what I paid last year to sit in the 300's though (other than the winter classic, but that was a once in a lifetime thing)

Old
10-04-2012, 11:34 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I was sufficiently interested by the whining over the Hawks prices that I wanted to see what they currently were. I get that $ is $ - and hockey isn't a cheap sport for anyone to watch. But the Hawks tickets are priced nicely compared to Toronto or Montreal (particularly considering Chi. is a recent Cup winner and the games are constantly sold out).

If you want to see bad - look at what Toronto (last cup = 1967) is charging - Montreal's cheaper...but not by much.

The games I see most are in Montreal and Toronto.

Here are the current prices for Chicago:

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81966

here are the prices for montreal:

here are the prices for toronto:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/v2/ext/201...gMapPrices.pdf

Old
10-04-2012, 11:39 PM
Rexy

Quote:
I was sufficiently interested by the whining over the Hawks prices that I wanted to see what they currently were. I get that $ is $ - and hockey isn't a cheap sport for anyone to watch. But the Hawks tickets are priced nicely compared to Toronto or Montreal (particularly considering Chi. is a recent Cup winner and the games are constantly sold out).

If you want to see bad - look at what Toronto (last cup = 1967) is charging - Montreal's cheaper...but not by much.

The games I see most are in Montreal and Toronto.

Here are the current prices for Chicago:

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=81966

here are the prices for montreal:

here are the prices for toronto:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/v2/ext/201...gMapPrices.pdf
I'm aware of what the prices are there, but keep in mind that

A) They are in Canada
B) The fans in Toronto are idiot sheep

Detroit has won 4 cups in the last 15 years, what's the prices there?
Jersey has won 3 cups in 18 years, what about there?

Old
10-04-2012, 11:50 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
It is very nice. Typically only two a year, but it wasn't uncommon for the drive and tickets to cost less than the tickets and a subway ride when they played at the ACC (not to mention that is only once every two years) I usually make a weekend out of it, stay at a friends, etc.

Never paid what I paid last year to sit in the 300's though (other than the winter classic, but that was a once in a lifetime thing)
Complaining about ticket prices is and has always been a useless argument. It is supply and demand, pure and simple. The Hawks could easily be charging more and getting it.

Quote:
I'm aware of what the prices are there, but keep in mind that

A) They are in Canada
B) The fans in Toronto are idiot sheep

Detroit has won 4 cups in the last 15 years, what's the prices there?
Jersey has won 3 cups in 18 years, what about there?
Dumbest thing I have read all day.

You can't compare cups won and market ticket rates. What other sports attractions are in that town? What is the accessibility of the stadium? How is the local economy doing? How is the team doing? What is the hockey market like? How many corporations buy tickets on a regular basis for entertainment? All determine price other than "idiot fans".

In Toronto for instance I know for a fact corporations have gobbled up tons of tix for entertainment, ect.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-05-2012 at 12:06 AM.
HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Complaining about ticket prices is and has always been a useless argument. It is supply and demand, pure and simple. The Hawks could easily be charging more and getting it.

You can't compare cups won and market ticket rates. What other sports attractions are in that town? What is the accessibility of the stadium? How is the local economy doing? How is the team doing? What is the hockey market like?
me saying the fans in Toronto are idiot sheep is the dumbest thing you've read?

Maybe you should live here. And to answer your question, there is CFL, NBA, MLB, MLS and NHL in Toronto, one of those 5 sells out no matter what the score is. The team hasn't made the playoffs in almost 10 years, and charges the most for tickets, and they still have a 10 year wait for season tickets.

so yeah, the fans in Toronto are idiot sheep.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:14 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

You can't compare cups won and market ticket rates. What other sports attractions are in that town? What is the accessibility of the stadium? How is the local economy doing? How is the team doing? What is the hockey market like? How many corporations buy tickets on a regular basis for entertainment? All determine price other than "idiot fans".

In Toronto for instance I know for a fact corporations have gobbled up tons of tix for entertainment, ect.
Quote:

Maybe you should live here. And to answer your question, there is CFL, NBA, MLB, MLS and NHL in Toronto, one of those 5 sells out no matter what the score is. The team hasn't made the playoffs in almost 10 years, and charges the most for tickets, and they still have a 10 year wait for season tickets.

after the hawks, the leafs are my team - i wouldn't call the leafs' fans "idiot sheep"...not b/c they're they're too aggressively angry and crazy to qualify as "sheep"...and, god love 'em, they're too obsessed w/ the minutiae of hockey to be idiots.

HawksFan74 - I don't agree w/ Rexy that the leafs fans are "idiot sheep" - but if that's the dumbest thing you've read all day then start reading the Business of Hockey Board. That will alter your perspective re: stupidity pretty quickly.

Rexy - Toronto (and non-Toronto Leafs' fans) = biggest single hockey market on the planet. That many people aren't just blindly wandering along after the (perennially losing) team. Obviously, you've got a fan base that loves the team - but you also have a large chunk of that fan base that just loves watching hockey. That aside...when you have one of the biggest cities in North America and a team w/ the biggest market (and, arguably, following) in the NHL, it's no surprise re supply/demand ticket-wise + price of tickets.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:18 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:

You have the answer in your post. 10 year wait for season tix. It's a business and it's there to make money. You get to speak with your wallet, so don't go. Price is relative to the individual. What you deem as expensive is not the same as everyone else. You can blame the owner but he didn't set up the rules.

Those other sports may be in Toronto but they take a huge back seat to the Leafs for obvious reasons. Now you can blame the owner for putting out a ****** product, ect. Again, you get to speak with your wallet. You said you attended a game last year so does that put you in the same category as the rest of the "idiot sheep"? You paid what you considered an excessive price for a 300 ticket. Why?

Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 12:28 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
after the hawks, the leafs are my team - i wouldn't call the leafs' fans "idiot sheep"...not b/c they're they're too aggressively angry and crazy to qualify as "sheep"...and, god love 'em, they're too obsessed w/ the minutiae of hockey to be idiots.

HawksFan74 - I don't agree w/ Rexy that the leafs fans are "idiot sheep" - but if that's the dumbest thing you've read all day then start reading the Business of Hockey Board. That will alter your perspective re: stupidity pretty quickly.
Yeah, I've read it. I want to see what's going on with the CBA and I don't know what the hell those guys are talking about. Some of them are extremely knowledgeable on the subject.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:35 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Yeah, I've read it. I want to see what's going on with the CBA and I don't know what the hell those guys are talking about. Some of them are extremely knowledgeable on the subject.
yeah, i know...but it's not like rexy posted the dumbest thing on the boards today.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:39 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
You have the answer in your post. 10 year wait for season tix. It's a business and it's there to make money. You get to speak with your wallet, so don't go. Price is relative to the individual. What you deem as expensive is not the same as everyone else. You can blame the owner but he didn't set up the rules.

Those other sports may be in Toronto but they take a huge back seat to the Leafs for obvious reasons. Now you can blame the owner for putting out a ****** product, ect. Again, you get to speak with your wallet. You said you attended a game last year so does that put you in the same category as the rest of the "idiot sheep"? You paid what you considered an excessive price for a 300 ticket. Why?
Toronto's just a good example of why, w/ a dedicated fanbase, interest trumps results re audience. The Leafs haven't won big in 45 yrs - and no indication they'll win big any time soon. but they have a huge and obsessed fanbase who will watch the product w/o blinking.

so - it's easy for the leafs to constantly jack up prices...b/c the audience isn't going anywhere.

That doesn't make them "sheep" - in fact, i think there's something to be said about watching a team through good times and bad.

...for all the negative things ppl say about Leafs fans, you'd never accuse anyone of being a "bandwagon" fan

Old
10-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Rexy

Quote:

I went to a Blackhawks game last year and sat in the 300's not a Leafs game.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:48 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
I went to a Blackhawks game last year and sat in the 300's not a Leafs game.
You said the ticket price was excessive or indicated it. What's the difference? Also knocking Rocky for his ticket prices at the same time. You see what I'm saying. If you paid what you considered too much for a 300 level ticket at the U.C., how is that different than the "idiot sheep"?

Old
10-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Rexy

Quote:
You said the ticket price was excessive or indicated it. What's the difference? Also knocking Rocky for his ticket prices at the same time. You see what I'm saying. If you paid what you considered too much for a 300 level ticket at the U.C., how is that different than the "idiot sheep"?
Winning team, and it was one game.

If I had season tickets I probably would have given them up.