HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Bettman: Lock-out if there's no deal by sept. 15 | Part II.

View Poll Results: DO YOU THINK THE OWNERS WILL VOTE TO LOCKOUT THE PLAYERS?
YES, LOCKOUT 110 82.71%
NO, PLAY AND MAKE A TON OF MONEY 23 17.29%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Disgruntled Observer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
This HRR is crap.

So owners are allowed to deduct some expenses before they calculate just what is HRR?

Owners are notorious for hiding money. Heck to become a Billionaire hiding income from the tax man is a pre-requisite.

I remember an old saying " You show me a hockey team that showed a $4M profit, and I will re-work the books to show you a $10M loss."

With a long history of being cheated it's no wonder the NHLPA won't believe anything the owners are crying about.
What a joke.
I see so many half empty arenas in the NHL it's ridiculous. And they're practically just GIVING seats away, and can still barely half fill the arena. And they HAVE to spend to at least the cap floor. And if they don't at least TRY to ice a contender, they'll lose the pathetically few fans they already have.
And you think these teams are secretly making money?
This is so ridiculous...

Old
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Hockeygirl81

My boss was surfing the net at work and said all 82 games of the NHL season were cancelled and I was in shock...I thought he meant like all 82 games a team plays...so the whole season lol not just 82 games league-wide.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:57 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
What a joke.
I see so many half empty arenas in the NHL it's ridiculous. And they're practically just GIVING seats away, and can still barely half fill the arena. And they HAVE to spend to at least the cap floor. And if they don't at least TRY to ice a contender, they'll lose the pathetically few fans they already have.
This is so ridiculous...
Yes, I am sure owners put more money, than they claim, in their pockets through creative bank keeping.

Finding financial loopholes are second nature to most acountants.

Do I think teams like TBL and PHX are making a profit?

No Way.

MY problem is tha this lockout is (like the last one) becuase of the teams that can't support themselves locally.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Yes, I am sure owners put more money, than they claim, in their pockets through creative bank keeping.

No Way.

MY problem is tha this lockout is (like the last one) becuase of the teams that can't support themselves locally.
And wouldn't getting a larger share of the HRR pie potentially help them support themselves? People seem to forget that the owners want a larger share but it's not like they were at 50 and asking for 57, they were at 43 prior.

They need:
-50/50 split
-increased revenue sharing
-change in revenue sharing rules
-adjusting the cap floor to perhaps 75% of the cap ceiling rather than making it a fixed 8M difference

Old
10-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Aplayaz2000

Quote:
What a joke.
This is so ridiculous...
so...

more Canadian teams?

Old
10-05-2012, 12:20 AM
htpwn

Quote:
What a joke.
This is so ridiculous...
Attendance does not equal profitability... but I digress...

The following teams operated at 98% capacity or greater last season:

Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, New York (Rangers), St. Louis, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington, Buffalo, and San Jose.

19 teams, or nearly 2/3 of the league. It comes to 21 teams if the benchmark is set at 96% (Tampa and Nashville).

Out of the 9 teams that have struggled at the gate, many are simply going through down years. Colorado had one of the longest sell out streaks in NHL history before this current rebuilding phase. Dallas frequently operated at over 90% even with a poor team before some ownership troubles drove fans away; troubles that were resolved late last year with a Vancouver billionaire buying the team.

That leaves 7 teams: Carolina, Columbus, New York (Islanders), Anaheim, New Jersey, Florida, and of course, Phoenix.

The teams that are struggling at the gate are in the minority and many of them are in their current state because of ownership neglect. Hard to blame Islanders fans, for example, for not paying a dime to Charles Wang. Yet, we're told that every team is losing money. It just isn't the case. All but a select few teams could be considered 'unstable' under the current system: Columbus, Phoenix, and possibly, the Islanders and Florida.

Last edited by htpwn: 10-05-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Gatorade*

Quote:

No Way.

This lockout is about the rich teams who don't want to subside the failures. Problem is the failures are the 8+ teams that is all Bettman needs to ratify or deny. The NHL is a joke.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
This lockout is about the rich teams who don't want to subside the failures. Problem is the failures are the 8+ teams that is all Bettman needs to ratify or deny. The NHL is a joke.
The old CBA didnlt work well for about half of the NHL teams.
The rich teams prospered under it. The players prospered under it.
So you would think that the obvious answer would be for the rich teams (by increased revenue sharing) and the players (by taking a smaller % of revenues) bothyo do their part.
But when th players refuse to make a counter offer...

Closed Thread