Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

The Prospect Thread

Old
08-28-2012, 04:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
For the Phillies, Tyler Cloyd (RHP, 2008, 18th round) was named the International League (AAA) Pitcher of the year.

Austin Wright (LHP, 2011, 8th round) was named the Florida State league (A+) pitcher of the year. (surprised he got it over his teammate Jesse Biddle)

On top of that, Darin Ruf (1B/LF, 2009, 20th round) should be a lock for the Eastern League (AA) MVP as he is in the running for the triple crown (leads in HR's and RBI's but a couple points back in ave)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:53 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Oscar Tavares won Texas League PotY

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:32 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Oscar Tavares won Texas League PotY

He's a chance to win Minor League PotY.

I'd go with Wil Myers. That guy can flat out rake.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
While we're tooting our prospect's horns for winning accolades...Alex Dickerson wins the Florida State League (A+) Player of the Year accolade.

The 2011 3rd rounder hit for a .299/.359/.454 line and finished 2nd in the league in RBIs (88), 6th in home runs (12), 8th in batting average, 2nd in hits (142), and 3rd in doubles (31).

Those batting stats winning accolades isn't surprising considering the FSL is played in the pitcher-friendly Spring Training stadiums. Jameson Taillon also won the Eastern League Player of the Week for his 11 shutout innings right after his promotion.

The other Bradenton team, the GCL Pirates, swept the GCL Red Sox for their first Gulf Coast League (Rookie) championship today.

edit: Gerrit Cole just promoted to AAA.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 08-29-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Profar (BA's midseason #2 prospect) is getting called up to the majors. He's 19.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I can't recall this happening before...the team managing partner going on the radio and ripping the team's top prospect.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...nclick_check=1

Quote:
Kendrick wasn’t as upbeat when talking about pitching prospect Trevor Bauer, who did not pitch well in his brief time in the majors earlier this season.

“As you guys know, I’m a pretty direct guy, and I will say this,” Kendrick told KTAR. “He is the employee. In an employer/employee situation it’s incumbent on the employee to make adjustments to satisfy the needs of the employer. I hope and trust that that will occur.”

It was unclear what adjustments Kendrick was referring to; he did not respond to a message from azcentral sports seeking clarification.

Kendrick also was noncommittal about Bauer’s place in the organization.

“Well, he has talent,” Kendrick said, when asked if Bauer were a “big part of the future.”

Pressed for an answer, he said Bauer will need to mature and make adjustments in order to be successful in the major leagues. Bauer is known for his heavy throwing schedule, and he has his own philosophies on game plans as far as how to attack opposing hitters.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
That sounds like off the field stuff. I never understand why team officials make stuff like this public, especially when dealing with a kid. Spank him behind closed doors, not on the front lawn.

Although, on the other hand, this is the Orioles, who aren't exactly known for cultivating pitchers properly. Maybe Bauer is taking the George Costanza approach.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
DBacks, not the Orioles.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
DBacks, not the Orioles.
Why was I thinking of Bundy? That whole post is pointless now.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
Billy Hamilton ran a 3.49 on that bunt single. Lowest number I've ever gotten.

No big deal. Others have him lower still.

02-25-2013, 07:09 PM
darko

Josh Pettitte threw a no hitter for his highschool team (he's a senior with a commitment to Baylor). Something his dad Andy has never done.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Can't wait for Oscar Taveras. He's ready now but blocked by Holliday, Jay and Beltran. It's a shame he can't play SS or 2B.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I was offered both Xander Boegarts and Tyler Skaggs for my Wil Myers in a dynasty league. Leaning toward pulling the trigger. Any insight on Skaggs or Boegarts I might not know?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Do that deal right now.

Just a random/sad tidbit. The guy I'm playing this week in fantasy has Chris Davis on his team. Davis has 4 HR and 16 RBI, my entire team has 5 HR and 18 RBI.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I was offered both Xander Boegarts and Tyler Skaggs for my Wil Myers in a dynasty league. Leaning toward pulling the trigger. Any insight on Skaggs or Boegarts I might not know?
Agreed with Admirals. The downside to the trade is you lose Myers who should be contributing sooner than Boegarts, but as long as Boegarts stays at SS he'll have tremendous value as a middle of the order bat at a position that normally sucks. Skaggs is a really good pick up for you too, but I just don't see him contributing this year unless Arizona gets decimated by injuries, and pitching prospects are super risky due to injury risks. In my keeper league I try to stockpile the best hitting prospects because of this.

If Jose Iglesias can get his hitting together this season (which he seems to be doing) Bogaerts is guaranteed to be moving to the outfield and in that case I'd rather have Myers. So it's up to Skaggs to bridge the gap between those two and that's a big if.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:06 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post

I'd do it.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:25 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Keith Law's Midseason Top 25 Prospects (ESPN Insider required) was released yesterday.

As a Pirates fan I'm loving it...3 Pirates in the top 22...Cole isn't dominating like I'd like, but Taillon is and Gregory Polanco is shooting up the rankings as yet another 5-tool natural center fielder in the system.

In the fun to keep an eye on sector...remember Stetson Allie? The 52nd overall pick in the 2010 Draft who signed to a $2.25 million bonus who proceeded to compile a 7.76 ERA and 2.175 WHIP in only 26.2 innings as a pitcher before being converted to a first baseman last year.

Well...Allie is looking like he may be a better hitting prospect than he was a pitching prospect...it'll take more than 2 months to climb into anyone's Top 100 lists, but good lord.

Playing for the West Virginia Power of the South Atlantic League, a notoriously pitcher-friendly league...
.342 batting average (2nd in the league)
13 HR (1st in league)
47 RBI (1st in league)
.423 OBP (3rd in league)
.639 SLG (1st in league)
1.045 OPS (2nd in league)

Last year, his first as a full-time batter, he had a .654 OPS in 150 plate appearances in the Gulf Coast League...it'll be interesting to see if he can put up similar numbers the rest of the way and in the higher levels.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:58 AM
darko

Yeah raking in SAL which is pretty impressive. Hope he keeps it up and he'll need to as he's limited to first base.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Any draft fans here? I'm hoping my Twins get a shot at 3B/1B Kris Bryant. Love him as a prospect, and could really be a dangerous middle of the order bat.

Him and Sano in a couple of years would be fantastic.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:41 AM
darko

Cant see Bryant falling out of top-3. It looks like it'll Appel/Gray/Bryant with first 3 picks. Would you be happy with Moran at 4?

Old
06-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Cant see Bryant falling out of top-3. It looks like it'll Appel/Gray/Bryant with first 3 picks. Would you be happy with Moran at 4?
If that's the case, I'd rather risk Kohl Stewart and see if he signs than pick Moran.

Old
06-01-2013, 10:05 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
The only shot any of them have at falling out is if the Moran to the Astros rumors are true.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
The only shot any of them have at falling out is if the Moran to the Astros rumors are true.
I agree, but I wouldn't discount the Rockies doing something crazy. Especially if Gray/Appel is taken 1-2.

With a guy like Kohl Stewart comparing favorably to Archie Bradley by scouts (or what Callis/Law keep telling us), the same Archie Bradley who is ripping AA apart currently, they could overlook Bryant for him.

I still expect Gray-Appel-Bryant to be 1-2-3 in the draft, so for the Twins I'm expecting Kohl Stewart to be our pick.

As long as they don't do the "We'll spend less on the top pick and spend later in the draft" strategy and pick C Reese McGuire, I'll be good with Stewart.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

In other Twins news, Byron Buxton is looking really good. Yes he was the #2 and expected to perform, but I expected him to struggle a little due to how raw he apparently was.

Shows how much I know, he's looking really good. He's currently obliterating A ball. Showing significant power, great patience (K/BB numbers are good) and good ability on basepaths.

He's flashing all 5 tools he was scouted with really well. I doubt the Twins rush him to AA, but a promotion to High-A is not out of the question.

Overall I'm much more optimistic with the Twins farm than in recent years. Buxton, Sano and Meyer all have significant potential. Add in good prospects like Rosario (who will stick at 2B and still hit), Arcia, Berrios among others, this farm system has the potential to be quite good.

Ideally we add another high pitching prospect this draft, but adding Bryant(dream I know) would give us some of the most ridiculous power bats in the minors around.

Old
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
darko

Stewart will be a tough sign. He has a football scholarship with A&M. That's where Archie Bradley comparisons are coming from. It's risky but Arizona nailed it with Bradley.