HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tyler Biggs's discussion thread.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
This may be true of the more "flip-flop" types of fans but when I look back a few years ago there were very few who I thought would definitely make the NHL. While they may only end up filling bottom line roles, I'm actually quite confident about a lot of our players at the very least carving out an NHL niche. That's vastly different than a few years. As with mining gold, with luck a few of them are nuggets (but I'll still be happy with flakes).
Quite a few Leafs picks have recently made the NHL, some only for a pot of coffee, but they were good enough to earn the opportunity.

They just haven't had high enough picks to get those 1st. liners.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Interactif

Tyler Biggs 2012 Progress Thread

October 5, Game 6 tonight.

Basically everything Tyler here, his points, his play, his fights, International play.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I think eventually one of our later round picks may be a stud. I'm thinking Matt Frattin might be that guy.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
This may be true of the more "flip-flop" types of fans but when I look back a few years ago there were very few who I thought would definitely make the NHL. While they may only end up filling bottom line roles, I'm actually quite confident about a lot of our players at the very least carving out an NHL niche. That's vastly different than a few years. As with mining gold, with luck a few of them are nuggets (but I'll still be happy with flakes).
What I see is that the last time we had this many young players to be excited about (closer to 7-10 years ago than 3-4), the guys we were excited about were good hockey players, but didn't have (m)any specific skills that would turn them into good NHL players. Right now though, guys like Kadri, Biggs, Rielly, Gardiner, etc. all have facets of their game that could become elite and separate them from other players on the team or in the system.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I think eventually one of our later round picks may be a stud. I'm thinking Matt Frattin might be that guy.
Something about Viktor Loov gets me excited to see him develop and make his way over to NA.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:24 AM
headwire

You mention International play. Do we reasonably expect that Biggs will play for Team USA in the World U20 Championship?

headwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Interactif

I posted this on the closed thread, but yes, if this is any indication.

Here's the stats breakdown of Tyler Biggs since August for the 2012 U.S. WJC Camp. 2nd in team scoring, not bad for a guy some penciled in to be a max 4th line winger in the NHL.

Statistical Leaders
Most players played between five and six games, three with the split-squad teams before cuts and up to three after cuts.

Here’s your Top 5 scorers:

Sean Kuraly — 5 GP, 6-3–9
Tyler Biggs — 6 GP, 4-3–7
Colin Blackwell — 5 GP, 2-4–6
Nic Kerdiles — 2-3–5
Stefan Noesen — 1-4–5

Top Performers

Quote:
Quote:
Tyler Biggs — It took Biggs a couple of games to get into the swing of things, but once the games against Finland and Sweden hit, he was among Team USA’s best in camp. Six of his seven points came in three games against the European squads. That’s what is really encouraging about Biggs’ camp. The big forward was able to produce while not sacrificing his hard-nosed game. If nothing else, most of his points came thanks, in part, to that hard-nosed style Biggs is a powerful skater, which, in addition to his physical strength, is really important for the big ice. He showed a little more touch during camp than he’s displayed in the past, but still won’t wow anyone with his skill. The most important thing is that he’s learning how to use what he does have more effectively, and it happened to translate into points in camp. I don’t know if he’d be a major point-producer at the WJC, but he’d certainly be an important asset.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...final-wrap-up/

So as we can see, this is why some Leafs fans are very optimistic on Tyler's progression as a prospect, production and large intangibles he is showing in a player that has carried onto the OHL this year with another 6 points in 5 games.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Ive marked NOV 2nd on my calendar.

Oshawa V Guelph

Going to make the trek to watch Biggs, Sparks, and Finn. Should be great.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:31 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Man...this board is going to have a main thread for each and every one of our prospects simply due to boredom if the NHL does not start up soon.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Interactif

I'm hoping the game is on Rogers tonight, otherwise Danny or John Eric will have to give us the game report.

What I want to see more from Tyler is more physical play, he has been producing while playing at nowhere near his physical ability. I am curious just how impactful he can be, when he starts using his muscle better. There's a lot more to this player than what we are seeing presently, when he gets more comfortable playing in the OHL, he will be even better.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:38 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I think his lack of true physical dominance may be due to coaching. Maybe the coaches are telling him to focus more on honing his offense, and trying to keep him out of the box.

Much like Kassian in Windsor, guys who are physical beasts are targets for bad calls in the OHL, as they're completely targeted under the new pansy rules.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think his lack of true physical dominance may be due to coaching. Maybe the coaches are telling him to focus more on honing his offense, and trying to keep him out of the box.

Much like Kassian in Windsor, guys who are physical beasts are targets for bad calls in the OHL, as they're completely targeted under the new pansy rules.
Actually this is why I thought coming to the OHL was the best thing for his development. US College hockey is known for over refereeing, it was hard for him to play and showcase his talents playing 3rd line mins and being penalized. Atleast in the OHL, he can play more to his strengths.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Here's the stats breakdown of Tyler Biggs since August for the 2012 U.S. WJC Camp. 2nd in team scoring, not bad for a guy some penciled in to be a max 4th line winger in the NHL.

Statistical Leaders
Most players played between five and six games, three with the split-squad teams before cuts and up to three after cuts.

Nic Kerdiles — 2-3–5
Stefan Noesen — 1-4–5

Top Performers

Quote:

So as we can see, this is why some Leafs fans are very optimistic on Tyler's progression as a prospect, production and large intangibles he is showing in a player that has carried onto the OHL this year with another 6 points in 5 games.
You don't think it would make sense to wait for an adequate number of games instead of extrapolating for 6?

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
You don't think it would make sense to wait for an adequate number of games instead of extrapolating for 6?
Obviously the more games and tournaments he plays in, the better the indication of where he is in his development. But by then, there would be no question about his progress if we waited to the end of the season wouldn't it?

All I am pointing to is, the signs are good given he is on a PPG pace through 11 games OHL/US Hockey he has 13 points.

But yes it is still early.

Last edited by Interactif: 10-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 11:31 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

My favourite part of Biggs summer camp was when the coaches stated how much he learned over the week and how much he improved in 7 days. To me it shows good coaching can elevate this kid a tonne (no offense intended toward his college coaches).

I'd imagine a pro coach can get more out of him than he's already shown.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

Statistical Leaders

Nic Kerdiles — 2-3–5
Stefan Noesen — 1-4–5

Top Performers

Quote:

You heard it from Interactif, Tyler Biggs has large intangibles

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
My favourite part of Biggs summer camp was when the coaches stated how much he learned over the week and how much he improved in 7 days. To me it shows good coaching can elevate this kid a tonne (no offense intended toward his college coaches).

I'd imagine a pro coach can get more out of him than he's already shown.
Good point about Housley.

DJ Smith, was an assistant for Windsor, he comes from a strong organization that seems to have paid off for the Gens early on. They are looking much better than last year's team, whether it is the coaching or experience, Jenner, Lessio and Petgrave look good this year.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
You heard it from Interactif, Tyler Biggs has large intangibles
I laughed.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:24 PM
416Leafer

It's very early, but Biggs has had a great start. I think the switch to the CHL was a great choice. He's getting far more opportunities to develop himself offensively.

I actually didn't know he was a good skater either, which is very good to hear. A lot of bigger guys tend to be a bit slow.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
That's why I was excited to see Biggs transfer to the OHL so he can possibly find his scoring touch and improve offensively. I think he'll improve offensively but it's just a matter of how much and can it get to the point of being consistent in the future.
Agreed 100% with everything you said.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Players drafted out of the CHL have the age 20 rule. It is part of the agreement between NHL and CHL.
D'Amigo went from the NCAA to the AHL at the age of 19 when Kitchener owned his rights.

Pretty sure his situation was the exact same as Biggs', unless I'm missing something.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:54 PM
RomanianLeafs

nice,my fav prospect after Colborne

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
D'Amigo went from the NCAA to the AHL at the age of 19 when Kitchener owned his rights.

Pretty sure his situation was the exact same as Biggs', unless I'm missing something.
NCAA --> AHL may be fine.
NCAA --> CHL --> AHL may be different.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:04 PM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

An assist tonight, and another scrap.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post

That's because D'Amigo was not playing in the CHL when he was drafted.

Neither was Biggs, so yes you are right. He could go to the AHL, I believe. Not sure though.