HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does the lockout fix our D issues?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:43 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
What irks me about this lockout even more than the older players being a year closer to retirement is the players in their prime missing a season of potential prime production, and rookies and young players missing a year in their development... That's sad to me.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Maybe after one or two or ninety three times he'll get the point that we want hockey.
He'd likely use it as evidence that hockey fans are awesome and passionate...therefore we will return no matter what...therefore he can extend the lockout for another season.

And then he'd probably put some bungee cords on his trash cans, or something.

09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
What irks me about this lockout even more than the older players being a year closer to retirement is the players in their prime missing a season of potential prime production, and rookies and young players missing a year in their development... That's sad to me.
Yep. It's quite possible we've seen the last of Kimmo, Selanne, Brodeur, and Alfredsson if the lockout drags on. Such a crappy way to leave the game.

I'm hopeful that the league clues in sooner rather than later. Bettman & Co. have locked the players out because the players want to keep the system that Bettman & Co. locked them out to put in place a few years ago.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
He'd likely use it as evidence that hockey fans are awesome and passionate...therefore we will return no matter what...therefore he can extend the lockout for another season.

And then he'd probably put some bungee cords on his trash cans, or something.
Yeah- he would turn it into a positive.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
CKpsu330

A shortened season would be a blessing in disguise for the Flyers. Maybe its because I focus on the Flyers, but it always seems like we are the most beat up team come playoffs. Although maybe this was Bettmans plan to give Crosby a shortened year, who knows...

CKpsu330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
McNasty

A lockout hurts more then it helps most likely, they're going to condense the regular season to get in as many games as they possibly can.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKpsu330 View Post
A shortened season would be a blessing in disguise for the Flyers. Maybe its because I focus on the Flyers, but it always seems like we are the most beat up team come playoffs. Although maybe this was Bettmans plan to give Crosby a shortened year, who knows...
Crosby: *crying* "Bettman, the 82-game schedule is too difficult for me."
Bettman: "Don't worry my child, face of the league. I'll lock out everyone to give you a shorter and easier schedule."
Crosby: *sniffles* "Thank you."

I don't know if this matters but as of now Crosby isn't in Europe but AO is (and made comments about staying there) as is Malkin. I'm not saying I want players to leave the league, but the fact that some (mainly Euros players) might stay out of the NHL if/when it comes back could hurt the NHL. I'm sure the Caps don't want to lose AO because they're over paying him and then want to roll back his salary, but when you want to make everything about money thats the risk you take.

As for us it only helps us in the sense that Bryz is still getting playing time overseas and maybe he'll even stay there (not saying he should, it's just always possible) and our players were really hurt by the end of the post-season so the additional time to heal is huge. It's not helping us by taking away our youth who need NHL playing time. In the end I'm not sure I would take away NHL experience to heal.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:04 AM
rban*

The lockout is good.

There are people who say it brings our older defenders a yr closer to retirement. I've been screaming for over a year that Timo is old and gettng worse, and Pronger wont be back, so the Flyers NEED to play as if Timo and Prongs no longer exist. REALLY. Pretend they ae not there.

And of course the lockout allows Meszaros more time to heal.

Long term (ie after this yr) I think Flyers only chance at a half decent defense is go hard after Yandle.

A defense corps of Coburn-Grossman, Meszaros-Schenn, and Yandle would thru sheer depth compensate for the lack of a bona fide star like Chara or Weber.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:27 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
The lockout is good.

There are people who say it brings our older defenders a yr closer to retirement. I've been screaming for over a year that Timo is old and gettng worse, and Pronger wont be back, so the Flyers NEED to play as if Timo and Prongs no longer exist. REALLY. Pretend they ae not there.

And of course the lockout allows Meszaros more time to heal.

Long term (ie after this yr) I think Flyers only chance at a half decent defense is go hard after Yandle.

A defense corps of Coburn-Grossman, Meszaros-Schenn, and Yandle would thru sheer depth compensate for the lack of a bona fide star like Chara or Weber.
That's where I stopped reading.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
If we still play 82 games, I don't think it helps. If it's a reduced season that's great for Kimmo.

I don't think we'll be seeing a reduced season though.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Haute Couturier

A lockout can help our players heal, but I'm not comfortable with a 37 year old Timonen carrying the defense and Luke Schenn being a part of the top 4. They still have issues lockout or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I think the rookies and young players will be fine with the year in the AHL. I think it is more frustrating that they burn a year off of their entry level deals during a lockout.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 11:19 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
That's where I stopped reading.
Your choice, mate. Wanna close your mind? Go ahead.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote