HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Generation Talent

Old
10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
NewFang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Malkin is more talented than Crosby. If Crosby is a GT, than Malkin definitely is one. Not a "maybe".
Debatable, and I don't really want to get into a Malkin vs Crosby thing, but to me Crosby's 100 points at 18, and 120 points and scoring title at 19 years of age make him a generational talent. Things like that really do happen only "once in a generation". When was the last time a player came along and did that (Wayne?)? How long will it be until it happens again? Too bad his career went down hill with the injuries and all....

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Faltorvo

Geebus, no love for Marcel Dionne in these parts, eh?

When he retired he sat 3rd all time leading scorer.

Behind Howe and Gretzky.

Tough crowd.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:52 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Debatable, and I don't really want to get into a Malkin vs Crosby thing, but to me Crosby's 100 points at 18, and 120 points and scoring title at 19 years of age make him a generational talent. Things like that really do happen only "once in a generation". When was the last time a player came along and did that (Wayne?)? How long will it be until it happens again? Too bad his career went down hill with the injuries and all....
Go back during the playoffs and see what Malkin did. If it wasn't for Malkin, Sid and the rest of that team don't get a ring. Malkin and Crosby are both something else.

10-04-2012, 09:56 AM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Go back during the playoffs and see what Malkin did. If it wasn't for Malkin, Sid and the rest of that team don't get a ring. Malkin and Crosby are both something else.
Yup, Both were lights out, though I don't think that playoff run alone makes either "generational". To me generational is something you don't see (or haven't seen) for a decade or more.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Yup, Both were lights out, though I don't think that playoff run alone makes either "generational". To me generational is something you don't see (or haven't seen) for a decade or more.
Malkin and Crosby, both, aren't something we are going to see in another 10 years probably. They both have the ability to drop 100+ points, and carry their teams to the playoffs. (Both have had to do it without the other)

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 02:24 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Ok but without Sid, they don't make it past either of their first two series.

Irrelevant anyways.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Ok but without Sid, they don't make it past either of their first two series.

Irrelevant anyways.
Without either of them they don't make it. Not sure why that even matters? Either way Malkin & Crosby have both put up stupendous numbers during the regular season.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 06:37 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Crosby > Malkin, people seem to forget the last time Crosby was healthy to start a season he put up 32 goals and 66 points in 41 games which is a 64 g 132 pt pace, it took about a month for someone to catch him once he was out injuried. when he returned he put up 37 pts in 22 games which is a 140+ point pace, something Malkin can only dream of. Crosby is clearly without a shadow of a doubt the best player in the NHL right now.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 08:07 PM
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeko View Post
The disease is Hodgkins. Hodgins is my last name. I'm always called "Hodgkins" at the doctors lol.
lol, i didn't even notice i missed the k

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:17 AM
tmlms13

Richard, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Roy

that is it imo

tmlms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:08 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Gretzky PPG =1.92
Lemeuix PPG = 1.88

Second highest all time point per game average, behind only the great one. A '.04' difference, that's pretty damn close. He didn't play as long as Gretzky but the talent level for when he played is very similar. You don't have to invent something new or make something popular to be considered one of the best, just play at a very high level. I think its safe to say 66 played at an extremely high level.
No denying that Mario was a great player in the top 5 ever.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:39 AM
paulster2626

Harold Ballard was a generational talent. Guy's a legend, for the wrong reasons, but still. Legend.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:58 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predaleafs View Post
What is the definition of someone being a generational talent? I understand it is a player who is more than a superstar and someone who is so talented that the dont come around often, but what i mean is who in the history of the NHL would you clarify as a generational talent.

I was arguing with a friend about these players. In my eyes there are 8 players all time who i would classify as generational talent:

Nik Lidstrom,Wayne Gretzky,Bobby Orr, Maurice Richard,Gordie Howe and Mario Lemeuix,Patrick Roy.

Crosby i would put there if he ever can return to his form.

But my friend believe Crosby, Ovie, Stamkos, Lindros, Sundin, Bobby Hull should all be there as well.

So the question is which player is a generational talent.

Ray Bourque was the best 2 way dman in the game for a long time. Often led Boston in scoring and was a horse on defence. He's 11th in all-time points. Pretty astounding for a dman.

Mark Messier is 2nd in all-time points. Ahead of Howe.

Sundin is a tough one. I don't think he elevated the play of others around him to be described as generational.

Crosby as you mentioned needs to return to form.

Ovie has been a shell of his former self. Right now Malkin is the better player.

Stamkos needs to step it up a bit. Not making the playoffs does not make you generational but he doesn't control games imo. Many others on this list do.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Ray Bourque was the best 2 way dman in the game for a long time. Often led Boston in scoring and was a horse on defence. He's 11th in all-time points. Pretty astounding for a dman.

Mark Messier is 2nd in all-time points. Ahead of Howe.
Ray Bourque is #2 on my All-Time defenseman list. He' ahead of Shore and Harvey. I still wouldn't call him a generational talent. He is easily behind Gretzky and Mario in own era.

Mark Messier played for the highest scoring team in hockey's highest scoring era. Gordie Howe was more offensively dominant than Mario Lemieux, so Messier doesn't even compare.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote