HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Kid making jump from AA to AAA at age 10

Old
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Kid making jump from AA to AAA at age 10

My kid was a very good player in AA made the jump to AAA and 8 games into the season seems to be struggling with the speed of the game, is this normal? will it take some time for him to make this adjustment or could it mean he's just not ready for it. thanks for the replies

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
My kid was a very good player in AA made the jump to AAA and 8 games into the season seems to be struggling with the speed of the game, is this normal? will it take some time for him to make this adjustment or could it mean he's just not ready for it. thanks for the replies
It's going to take time. Even if your son isn't quite ready, he won't improve much as the best player on the AA team. He will catch up eventually and be a better player in the long run

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:09 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Has he stayed in the same division? i.e. are we talking Atom/Squirt both years or is he now in Peewee due to turning 11 soon?

If he's still in the same division, he'll adjust sooner, if he's moved up a division as well then it will take longer for him to adjust. Generally though, playing with faster, stronger, more skilled teammates and opposition will bring his level up as well, just try to make sure his confidence isn't taking a hit.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Is it his skating that is behind or just the overall speed of the game...meaning he just doesnt have the time and space?

At the end of the day if he stays positive he will end up a better player just by practicing with better players.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
mobilus

Mentally it will take him at least two months to adjust to the increased tempo. His mind was used to X amount of time to recognize a situation and respond. The mind will adjust and learn to recognize situations faster. Physically if his skating doesn't look out of place, then just be patient.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 01:13 PM
brom7

Keep him there.

He will catch up eventually and when he does he will be way ahead of his peers. The only reason you should take him away is if you're worried for his safety for any reason.

brom7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Canadiens1958

Minor/Major

Depends on how the feeder to AAA is structured in your son's situation.

Does the Minor/Major distinction exist.

Are the AA and AAA teams association teams or is the AA an association team while the AAA is a regional team? If regional are in ratio to the feeder associations or is it strictly merit?

Is the promotion a question of merit or complying with ratios?

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 08:21 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
encourage him to work hard in practice, the space and time comes with experience. skilled players can always adapt once they are comfortable. its usually a shock when they cant dominate the level like they did, 2-3 months should be all he needs.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
My son is 14 and has been playing AAA since he was 9 and I have seen a number of kids over the years move up from AA to AAA.
In my experience, this is normal. I have yet to see one kid make the jump and have an immediate impact, it will take time for him to adjust/elevate his game.
Encourage him to stick with it and work as hard as he can all the time.
Best of luck.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
happyhab*

thank you for all your responses, it's encouraging when you comments from people who know, and it was all on merit he was chosen on the team. Skating wise he is right there with the rest of the kids you could never tell, but it's the in game situations that are much faster for him and he needs time to adjust i guess. I just know he's getting frustrated and he's made comments like "it's to hard" I keep telling him he's doing great, but he is used to dominating and now he can't buy a goal. On the flip side his defensive game has improved.

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
thank you for all your responses, it's encouraging when you comments from people who know, and it was all on merit he was chosen on the team. Skating wise he is right there with the rest of the kids you could never tell, but it's the in game situations that are much faster for him and he needs time to adjust i guess. I just know he's getting frustrated and he's made comments like "it's to hard" I keep telling him he's doing great, but he is used to dominating and now he can't buy a goal. On the flip side his defensive game has improved.
You hit the nail right on the head, they can all skate and have skills, the difference between AA and AAA is the speed of the game.
Like you said, the coach picked him....remind him of that and encourage him to not look for the easy out

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
neksys

He's now playing at the highest caliber of minor hockey. It's supposed to be hard, and he's in a classic "sink or swim" situation.

If he's serious about hockey, just remind him that for as long he keeps playing, if he's not struggling to learn something new, he's in the wrong place. Show him some interviews of NHLers talking about the transition from Jr. to the pros (or AHL to NHL) and they all say the same thing: the speed and skill level takes a giant leap.

Maybe if he sees that even the best players experience that "holy crap I'm out of my league" moment, he'll appreciate that this is a fantastic opportunity to develop his game.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote