Old
10-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I think Lehkonen is 5'11 and 152 lbs.
Oh, I think we're both wrong. Off NHL.com's central scouting prelim list, he is 5-10 163lbs.

Still, that is a considerable difference to Granlund's stocky 5-10 180lbs build.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:22 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Oh, I think we're both wrong. Off NHL.com's central scouting prelim list, he is 5-10 163lbs.

Still, that is a considerable difference to Granlund's stocky 5-10 180lbs build.
Yeah. Needs to bulk up. He's faster than Granlund though, and more gritty.

I saw someone mention Rasmus Ristolainen as well. I don't see anything special about him. I haven't seen much of him tbh.

E: Oh... Lehkonen has scored a goal against last year's champs JYP. His stats are now 4G 4A +2 in 8 games.

Last edited by TZM: 10-05-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
10-05-2012, 11:37 AM
forthewild

If this season goes as planned and we end up with a 17+ pick, Hudson Fasching or Taylor Cammarata is who i'm hoping for...

in addition any good skating dman from Sweden would be acceptable.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
SoH will go with me on this one. Since it'll be a full year lockout, we'll get a top pick. Get a natural goal-scorer and gain back the 4 Stanley Cups we lost by going on the winning streak at the end of the last year.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

I saw someone mention Rasmus Ristolainen as well. I don't see anything special about him. I haven't seen much of him tbh.

E: Oh... Lehkonen has scored a goal against last year's champs JYP. His stats are now 4G 4A +2 in 8 games.
Haven't seen him either and I know stats don't tell the whole story but...

He's huge, he has 4 points in 8 games in the top men's league in Finland as a kid defenseman, and is playing 22.42 minutes a night as an 18-year old. That is impressive in my books.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:

Is more of an elusive type skater, or a more of a north-south type?

Old
10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Ryan Getzlaf (19), Ryan Kesler (23), Mike Richards (24), Travis Zajac (20), Martin Hanzal (17), TJ Oshie (24), Claude Giroux (22), David Perron (27), Jordan Eberle (22).
dont forget kopitar at 11th

Old
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Brodin was what, 6'1 and 170 when drafted? That scales down to closer to 155 at 5'10.

Way too early for me to focus on the draft but I will take the most natural goal scorer with good wheels and a good work ethic.

Cue SoH (or is it TSK?) coming in to admonish us all for not thinking about goalies early in the first...

Old
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Some things you could add to the OP if you want a collection of links:

CSS Preliminary 2013 North America
CSS Preliminary 2013 International
FC September Top 30

The first Button ranking (yes I know how controversial those are) comes out October 17. I'm sure I'm missing at least one of the other big ones.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:01 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Is more of an elusive type skater, or a more of a north-south type?
Somewhere between. He's not a lazy at his own end but still uses more energy to create scoring chances.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Brodin was what, 6'1 and 170 when drafted? That scales down to closer to 155 at 5'10.

Way too early for me to focus on the draft but I will take the most natural goal scorer with good wheels and a good work ethic.

Cue SoH (or is it TSK?) coming in to admonish us all for not thinking about goalies early in the first...
I don't think that is a reasonable assessment.

Being 6'1 170lbs, you are weak and lanky, but you have the ability to put on muscle.

Being 5-10 and 155, you are weak, but in many cases, do NOT have the ability to grow 3 inches taller.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Somewhere between. He's not a lazy at his own end but still uses more energy to create scoring chances.
By elusive, I don't mean a perimeter player. I mean, when he skates, does he like to stickhandle around people, weave around people, and use his agility to dodge hits as he skates?

Or by north-south, does he skate from point A to point B.

For example, Jordan Eberle and our own Mikael Granlund, both are not super fast, but are slippery as hell. That is what I call elusive.

Zach Parise would be more of a north-south type of skater, goes straight to point A to point B with hardwork and energy.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Dan, do you get any viewings of Connecticut hockey? If so, have you seen this Tyler Hill guy CBS was ranking at 47?

Old
10-05-2012, 01:27 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
By elusive, I don't mean a perimeter player. I mean, when he skates, does he like to stickhandle around people, weave around people, and use his agility to dodge hits as he skates?

Or by north-south, does he skate from point A to point B.

For example, Jordan Eberle and our own Mikael Granlund, both are not super fast, but are slippery as hell. That is what I call elusive.

Zach Parise would be more of a north-south type of skater, goes straight to point A to point B with hardwork and energy.
I'd put him more in the elusive box then.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

To steal from a fellow poster from the prospects forum about Lehkonen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast
He's fast and has seperation speed but not elite. Good technique and smooth skating. But he could be faster yes but it doesen't mean that he's average skater.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:38 PM
TZM
Par too easy

That's pretty well said. thomast knows these things more than I do. I just act cool.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
is granlund "elusive", really? (is it same as "shifty"?) i think this lehkonen kid is simply faster skater (north-south) and probably more elusive/shifty than granlund, too. granlund may be "elusive" in some sense but not in the sense of (acrobatic) agility. well, i donno tbh. who knows. nobody, i guess.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Dan, do you get any viewings of Connecticut hockey? If so, have you seen this Tyler Hill guy CBS was ranking at 47?
Not anymore, I'm moving to Vancouver soon

I'll get some WHL and BCHL viewings in the near future though...

Old
10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
is granlund "elusive", really? (is it same as "shifty"?) i think this lehkonen kid is simply faster skater (north-south) and probably more elusive/shifty than granlund, too. granlund may be "elusive" in some sense but not in the sense of (acrobatic) agility. well, i donno tbh. who knows. nobody, i guess.
I would say so. Granlund is hard to hit because he knows how to roll off forwards and stickhandle his way out of checking forwards along the boards. I call that elusive.

He makes his way into the offensive zone through his ability to elude players, while players like Parise make their way into the offensive zone with a straightforward skating style and beat defenders with hardwork and energy.

Reason I ask is because, if you are really interested in Lehkonen, I recommend a player like him better be elusive. Being a small and weak 5-10 163lbs, he isn't going to be very effective at the NHL level if he plays a straigthforward style.

He either will have to bulk up immensely, or be able to elude 6-4 NHL defensemen. He will need to do so in order to make room for himself AND not get injured.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Not anymore, I'm moving to Vancouver soon

I'll get some WHL and BCHL viewings in the near future though...
Looking forward to hopefully hearing a bit about Shinkaruk and Jones then. Watch out for the rats in Vancouver though.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Will add the links to the OP squidz posted once I have access to my desktop again.

I am very high on Monahan. Seen tons of players compared to Toews in the last few years... But he seems to fit the bill.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Monahan? Meh...not a Train fan.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Will add the links to the OP squidz posted once I have access to my desktop again.

I am very high on Monahan. Seen tons of players compared to Toews in the last few years... But he seems to fit the bill.
I am also a huge Monahan fan. Watching the 67s last year off and on I could just see how much potential the he has. Kid is just plain good. He makes things look easy out there and the puck just seems to find his stick in all the right places.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:42 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
I would say so. Granlund is hard to hit because he knows how to roll off forwards and stickhandle his way out of checking forwards along the boards. I call that elusive.

He makes his way into the offensive zone through his ability to elude players, while players like Parise make their way into the offensive zone with a straightforward skating style and beat defenders with hardwork and energy.

Reason I ask is because, if you are really interested in Lehkonen, I recommend a player like him better be elusive. Being a small and weak 5-10 163lbs, he isn't going to be very effective at the NHL level if he plays a straigthforward style.

He either will have to bulk up immensely, or be able to elude 6-4 NHL defensemen. He will need to do so in order to make room for himself AND not get injured.
Lehkonen is pretty fast, when he gets more strength to his legs; he'll hopefully develop an explosive first step and be able to create separation between him and the D. I'd say, for sure he needs to bulk up, but he is stronger than people give him credit for; plus he is fearless and never quits on any plays. Also; yes he is elusive; he can stick-handle past the opposition, maybe not the same way that MG can, but he is still very effective. What I noticed is that his defensive side of the game is rather good for a winger of his age as well; but he's a lot better in the offensive zone. What I noticed after following him is that KalPa likes to have him in the sideboards and run the PP from there; kind of like how Mikko has done with Team Finland (and Wild IIRC). He's got great hockey IQ and wrist shot is very good for his age.

All in all; I think he'll be drafted around 15-30 range. I think in his prime he could produce 30-35 goals and 35-45 assists a season.

Old
10-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
FC 30 draft rankings looks pretty legit. A lot of names I can't pronounce. Must be better than '12 draft class.

Closed Thread