HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Part XI: Morgan Rielly is God

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 01:47 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
This looks right.. I cant see the captain playing on the 4th line though... Kostka will bump gysbers. Swap Deschampes with D'amigo. Wow thats some nice depth. Komarov and Abott breathing down your neck... Frattin coming off the reserve soon... wow lookout. Seems like the lockout may light a few fires. Definitely no entitlement on this team. I definitely do not anticipate Ross making this squad.

why is that, I am sure he will be in bottom 6

Old
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I think people are overlooking just how impressive Finn's offensive totals have been so far in his junior career.

If you don't think he's good offensively, you probably should look a little more closely.
He has a good clapper and a good outlet pass which allows for great offensive numbers in junior hockey. But, those won't necessarily translate to the NHL and in Finn's case I don't think they will all that much. You're not going to be beating a whole lot of goalies with you slapshot in the NHL, needs to be tipped and stuff, that could still work for him.

But a lot of his stats are assists which I assume to be from his outlet pass. In junior hockey, you see individual efforts all the time, a player getting a pass, making some moves (maybe making a pass to another player) before the puck is in the net which gives the outlet passer an assist. That doesn't happen nearly as often in the NHL and his assist numbers would suffer. I think his offensive numbers would be similar to that of Gunnar. Still getting a solid 20 or so points due to the outlet pass ability and his slapshot which allow for the occasional tips but I don't think he has the offensive ability to be getting 30+ points.

I think a lot of his point totals is due to being in junior hockey and the fact that he is on the ice so much and is so often being the one that does the outlet pass because of that.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
When do people think Rielly will be NHL ready?

I think there's a good chance he makes the team out of camp next season.

I also have another question, if Moosejaw is out of the playoffs early (or don't make them at all) this year, would Rielly be allowed to join the Marlies for a playoff run?

If he can I would almost prefer he not get traded to a contender because a Calder Cup run with our prospects would be great for him, and would give him some experience playing against men going into next season.

I think he is NHL ready, he just missed an entire year development,
and yes he would be able to join

Old
10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
When do people think Rielly will be NHL ready?
yesterday.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I thought last night Finn was awesome. He was definitely deserving of the 1st star honours. He shut down Marchese - Vail - Schoenmakers line. He also moved the puck great, and made some nice passes. That line, more specifically Vail was all over him last night, and Finn never made a mistake. Finn's been great this year. He didn't show the offensive flash that he's shown earlier in the season, but played a very strong defensive game. It felt like he played the entire game.

Garret Sparks looked solid as well. He was never really tested, but he held the fort and made saves when he needed to. I also liked it when Ebert got shoved into him in the last minute of game, and Sparks jumped on top of him .

Now onto Percy. Percy has been freaking awesome this year. He been extremely solid, and honestly, I can't name more than 3 defenceman I would take over him in the OHL. Such a smart player, and I think his offensive ability is underrated.

We were so lucky to get finn at second round, he was supposed to be a top 20 pick if not top 15. Finn and percy have underrated offensive abillity for sure. they will be great

Old
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Ok ok...

I thought he played a strong game, but he seemed to have trouble getting pucks through from the blue line from what I saw. I wasn't 'at' the game (currently battling bronchitis), but I watched it on television. He's certainly a work horse for their team, but that's nothing new. Think he's got the defensive side down, he showed really good recovery when he was beaten also. He played/plays a ton of minutes, so he probably stood out to the folks making the star selections. I do wonder if all those minutes are beneficial. It was only one game, but to me he seemed to slow down as the game went on (this could be different to those who view him regularly).

Interactif's generalization of Finn is pretty bang on. People who expect him to be a standout with flash won't be impressed by him, but his approach to the game and the way he thinks it makes him valuable. Like Percy, he's one of those guys who really brings a balance to a defensive core and is valuable in a top-four because of the diversity in their game (all-round type).

Sparks did not get tested much at all in the game, which is why he likely didn't get 1st star honors. He made the stops when he had to and didn't give up much.
Small Defencemen, his offensive game will have to get him to the NHL, he's too small to be a dominant pro.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
He has a good clapper and a good outlet pass which allows for great offensive numbers in junior hockey. But, those won't necessarily translate to the NHL and in Finn's case I don't think they will all that much. You're not going to be beating a whole lot of goalies with you slapshot in the NHL, needs to be tipped and stuff, that could still work for him.

But a lot of his stats are assists which I assume to be from his outlet pass. In junior hockey, you see individual efforts all the time, a player getting a pass, making some moves (maybe making a pass to another player) before the puck is in the net which gives the outlet passer an assist. That doesn't happen nearly as often in the NHL and his assist numbers would suffer. I think his offensive numbers would be similar to that of Gunnar. Still getting a solid 20 or so points due to the outlet pass ability and his slapshot which allow for the occasional tips but I don't think he has the offensive ability to be getting 30+ points.

I think a lot of his point totals is due to being in junior hockey and the fact that he is on the ice so much and is so often being the one that does the outlet pass because of that.
Knowing where to put the puck, and being able to get it there, is arguably more important in creating offense than being able to dangle. Larry Murphy made a hall of fame career out of it.

But even if he doesn't turn into an offensive defenseman, the fact that he is putting up great offensive totals in junior despite not having the highest-end pure skill out there likely indicates that he has elite hockey sense, which should at the very least translate to being very good defensively in the NHL. (This is why offensive totals in junior are important, even when looking at a potential defensive NHLer - the kind of awareness you need to have to be a great defensive NHLer usually translates into good offense in junior, even if the player doesn't have the kind of pure skill needed to be a good offensive NHLer.)

Old
10-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Knowing where to put the puck, and being able to get it there, is arguably more important in creating offense than being able to dangle.

But even if he doesn't turn into an offensive defenseman, the fact that he is putting up great offensive totals in junior despite not having the highest-end pure skill out there likely indicates that he has elite hockey sense, which should at the very least translate to being very good defensively in the NHL. (This is why offensive totals in junior are important, even when looking at a potential defensive NHLer - the kind of awareness you need to have to be a great defensive NHLer usually translates into good offense in junior, even if the player doesn't have the kind of pure skill needed to be a good offensive NHLer.)
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I think his hockey IQ is great and defensively he is solid. Was just pointing out that he is one case where I don't think his offensive numbers will translate to NHL all that much.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
ErikP803

But when looking at Finn's offensive game, shouldn't you take account of the fact that he does have to focus more on the defensive side of the game since he is the "go to" guy for Guelph? Perhaps if he were paired with a more defensive partner his offense might show up more.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Small Defencemen, his offensive game will have to get him to the NHL, he's too small to be a dominant pro.
Really?

6'0 207 is small? Dont we praise Jerry Damigos thick build around here at 511 210?

Old
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
But when looking at Finn's offensive game, shouldn't you take account of the fact that he does have to focus more on the defensive side of the game since he is the "go to" guy for Guelph? Perhaps if he were paired with a more defensive partner his offense might show up more.
I can't say I know for two reasons:
1. I'm not a psychic
2. I haven't actually seen Finn play live.

But if I has to guess, I don't think his offense would show up more. When you play defense, your mind in most cases seems to be in 2 places. Either you believe in playing great defense because that is your position after all or you get a huge thrill from the offensive aspect of the game (lets face it, that's the most fun) and do that as much as you can while doing the bare minimum in your own end. Only in the rare case is a player able to do both and when they can they are a truly exceptional player. Finn I don't think is this exceptional player (of course I hope he becomes one), I think he is someone who will always be thinking defense first even if he is given a defensive partner. But hey, he is still really young, anything can happen.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:36 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I can't say I know for two reasons:
1. I'm not a psychic
2. I haven't actually seen Finn play live.

But if I has to guess, I don't think his offense would show up more. When you play defense, your mind in most cases seems to be in 2 places. Either you believe in playing great defense because that is your position after all or you get a huge thrill from the offensive aspect of the game (lets face it, that's the most fun) and do that as much as you can while doing the bare minimum in your own end. Only in the rare case is a player able to do both and when they can they are a truly exceptional player. Finn I don't think is this exceptional player (of course I hope he becomes one), I think he is someone who will always be thinking defense first even if he is given a defensive partner. But hey, he is still really young, anything can happen.
Honestly... I have to say its impossible to tell at this point. He is very proficient on both sides of the puck. If Guelph can acquire a defensive rock and let Finn have some downtime we might see more action on the offensive end.

Regardless, he plays a game that will transition well to the pros. Obviously he doesnt have the dynamic of a rielly.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Honestly... I have to say its impossible to tell at this point. He is very proficient on both sides of the puck. If Guelph can acquire a defensive rock and let Finn have some downtime we might see more action on the offensive end.

Regardless, he plays a game that will transition well to the pros. Obviously he doesnt have the dynamic of a rielly.
If Guelph are close to squeaking into the playoffs, and Mississauga is officially eliminated. Finn and Percy together would be a dynamite tandem.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Sergei Berezin

I worry about Ross.

He has the kind of game that really only works when there is a spotlight on him. He needs to have the attention to be a **** disturber.

I worry he may lose some of his agitating abilities if he's sent down to the ECHL or if he just sits in the press box all season this year.

Maybe him and Komarov become friends and learn off of eachother.. that'd be awesome

Old
10-05-2012, 02:57 PM
ErikP803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
I worry about Ross.

He has the kind of game that really only works when there is a spotlight on him. He needs to have the attention to be a **** disturber.

I worry he may lose some of his agitating abilities if he's sent down to the ECHL or if he just sits in the press box all season this year.

Maybe him and Komarov become friends and learn off of eachother.. that'd be awesome
Just make a Ross-Kadri-Komarov line and watch the opposition's penalties rack up!

Old
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I worry about Ross.

I'm not sure what your trying to say here.. you think because he's in the ECHL and the 'spotlight' isn't on him he wouldn't play the style he's been accustomed his entire junior career? What spotlight was on him in the WHL that he would be missing in the ECHL?

Guys like Ross have a spotlight on them in whatever league they are in because of their style. He gets attention because he's a shift disturber, not the other way around. I don't think if he starts in the ECHL it would be any different.

Last edited by John-Eric Iannicello: 10-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 03:24 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 499
Quote:
I worry about Ross.

Can't say I share the same concerns. He seems to me to be the type of guy that will play his style of game at which ever level he is playing at. He's going to hit, get in your face and go to the net because that's what he does best. If he is in the ECHL he will get more playing time to show the offensive ability that some may not realize he has.

Old
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I'm not sure what your trying to say here.. you think because he's in the ECHL and the 'spotlight' isn't on him he wouldn't play the style he's been accustomed his entire junior career? What spotlight was on him in the WHL that he would be missing in the ECHL?

Guys like Ross have a spotlight on them in whatever league they are in because of their style. He gets attention because he's a shift disturber, not the other way around. I don't think if he starts in the ECHL it would be any different.
See, in the WHL, it's not so much about the spotlight, it's about your peers. He was well known from his minor hockey days, where ever he played, and people knew who he was when he stepped on the ice.

He's going to step into the ECHL and try to get into someones face and they're just gonna shrug him off. The ECHL is a mens league and they don't really get bothered by the kind of stuff Ross does. That's where having the attention of fans comes in. If he could play for the Marlies and establish himself among the Marlie faithful, I really think it would help his development out a lot. Like Tucker, he's the kind of player who feeds off the fans to make him play like he's 6'4, rather than 5'10.

I don't like the ECHL as a development league whatsoever. I don't care if you can spit out the players that have come out of that league to become NHLers, or if you think it's a good league... it's not. It's a pretty gong-show level of hockey. It's kind of the misfit league of the hockey world.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:02 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
, Common man. Tell that to guys like Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Erik Karlsson, etc.

Just making a point of "small" defensemen can be dominant.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
based on the interview with Dallas yesterday:

- he really likes Colborne + Ashton together
- Aucoin - Kadri - Scott seems like a set line at this point
- Fraser + Holzer pairing is staying for sure.
- Mckegg has a leg up on the other young guys to make the team

so a somewhat educated guess at opening night:

Aucoin - Kadri - Scott
Ashton - Colborne - D'amigo
Deschamps - Zigomanis - Mckegg
Komarov - Hamilton - Acton/Abbott

Gardiner - Ranger
Blacker - Gysbers
Fraser - Holzer
Kostka

Scrivens
Rynnas

once Frattin is healthy, look out...that is a great AHL forward group.
You have the defensive pairing almost right but it is actually:
Gardiner - X(unsure who yet)
Blacker - Ranger
Fraser - Holzer.

10-05-2012, 04:10 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 499
Really like those lines. Hopefully Mckegg can get up in the top 6 eventually.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Pretty sure Eakins says if McKegg is getting used this year, he's going to be doing it on the top 6. I think that means D'Amigo moves down to the third line and McKegg takes the 2nd.. Or it'd be nice to see Kadri with McKegg

10-05-2012, 04:25 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Given those lines, I am not sure there is a top six/bottom six. An AHL line with Zigomanis at center is not a traditional third or fourth line, for sure. I imagine other teams are equally stacked in this unusual year, however.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Morlesio14*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You have the defensive pairing almost right but it is actually:
Gardiner - X(unsure who yet)
Blacker - Ranger
Fraser - Holzer.
Gardiner-Kostka? mabye.
I predict Aucoin will play centre for Naz and scott.

I also suspect that Fraser-Holzer will play on a higher role than 3rd D pairing. They'll rack up ice time. I was at the Marlies training camp today and Holzer was really solid and they all seemed to develop chemistry. I got the day off schoolllll. With Kostka playing on opening night that still leaves us with Gysbers and Yeo. Deep.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Hurt

That took a little finnagling but I fixed it. Radio Feeds merged in to OP post.