HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Col

Old
10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Avs would never do this. Comparing the two:

One was drafted 3rd overall, is a year younger, and has proven that he has at least the capability of being a 1st line player and led his team offensively at age 19.

The other has only proven that he can play as a semi-reasonable 2nd pairing D.

Duchene has far more value IMO. Something like JVR + Gardiner is much closer value.
That would probably be pretty fair value, but I just wouldn't want to give up our center depth, especially now that we've finally got enough wingers for all 3 of em and have some very talented puckmovers starting to break into the NHL.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:35 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Nope, simply put your wrong.

Stastny is still better then both Oreilly and Duchene, and will likely be first line Center again next year(Though there isnt really a 1st/2nd/3rd line, just 3 scoring lines played equally).

And Stastny's production hasnt actually dropped off a whole lot, the Avs only scored 199 goals last year, Stastny was in on 53 of them or 26.6%. The Average goals scored per team is about 220-225 Goals, so had the Avs scored at an average pace(for arguments sake 223 goals), Stastny would have had 60 Points in 79 games, which over an 82 game season is about 62 Points. Over Stastnys 6 seasons in the NHL he's played at a 72 point pace per 82 Game season, so he's only about 10 points off his career average last year, and this is while being forced to play a much more Defense oriented style.

We wont even get into his linemates last year, compared to his linemates in the first 3 years of his career, but we'll just say theyre's been a significant decrease in his quality of linemates, and leave it at that.

Basically, if the Avs play a little more offensive styled next year/this year and he plays a full season(Or Partial, whatever we get) with McGinn on his wing, he will likely be back up in the 65-70 range again, if not higher.

But hey, your the Avs expert, so tell me more about how Stastny will be a 3rd liner next year scoring 40-50 points, and be the next Gomez in a year or two.
Well the lack of production could have been due to Statsny's drop off in production... No? Either argument can be made. Leafs scored 231G so i guess that would mean kessel was in on ... 36% of them

The only player in this proposal not getting enough credit is Phil Kessel. I agree that Duchene and Statsny are good players. Bozak is definitely not in the same category, however none of the Avalanche players have reached Elite status and IMO Kessel is among the Elite wingers in this league. Doesnt get much better then him.

Last edited by HockeyGuruPitka: 10-05-2012 at 12:43 PM.
HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Do you really believe this or do you just really want to believe this?
I really believe Stastny will be the third best center for the Avs going forward. I think he'd be a #2 on most teams (Besides the Pens, Canes ect) and a #1 on a couple. But yes, I really do believe he'll be the Avs third best centerman. I also really believe O'Reilly is better now and Duchene was before his awful season last year.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:45 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
Its funny how many proposals involving Leaf players are made by fans of other teams and then consequently the Leaf faithful somehow immediately get thrown under the bus.
Im not sure how funny it is, but you are correct. Gets pretty tiresome being a leaf fan. If only the team itself would give us some support maybe it would be easier...lol

Old
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
At this point, Duchene has a fair bit more value than Gardiner. I know Toronto fans have high hopes for Gardiner, and a year or two from now Gardiner's value might go up enough to make this deal even, but right now it favors Toronto in a big way. Toronto would definitely need to add.

For the record, considering what Toronto would probably need to add, I don't think they would make the deal either. They'd be selling low on Gardiner, at a point when his stock could start to soar.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Every time this proposal comes up it gets shut down due to turning into a flame war. All I ask if please be considerate towards each other so we can keep this open.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Well the lack of production could have been due to Statsny's drop off in production... No? Either argument can be made. Leafs scored 231G so i guess that would mean kessel was in on ... 36% of them

The only player in this proposal not getting enough credit is Phil Kessel. I agree that Duchene and Statsny are good players. Bozak is definitely not in the same category, however none of the Avalanche players have reached Elite status and IMO Kessel is among the Elite wingers in this league. Doesnt get much better then him.
And your overrating Kessel based on one season....
One good season doesnt make you Elite, not even close. If Paul Stastny isnt elite then neither is Kessel to be frank. Kessel has only scored over 70 points once in what 5 or 6 seasons, Stastny has done it in 3 seasons. If Kessel can repeat last seasons performance with another 70+ point season then yes he could be considered elite but not after just one eason.

And as for Stastnys drop off in production thing, its not him its his linemates. He's still scoring 20 goals a season, and he's scored between 20-24 goals in 4 of his 6 seasons, and one season he was on pace for 20 again. Its his assists that have dropped off significantly the last 2 years, and you cant get assists if the players your passing to cant score.

For example, After the trade deadline last year, in the 19 games Stastny played with McGinn on his wing, he had 14 or 15 points, which over an 82 game season would amount to 60-65 points. And that was only while he and McGinn develloped Chemistry, a full year together and things would excpect to be even better, probably in the 65-70 range.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:15 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
And your overrating Kessel based on one season....
One good season doesnt make you Elite, not even close. If Paul Stastny isnt elite then neither is Kessel to be frank. Kessel has only scored over 70 points once in what 5 or 6 seasons, Stastny has done it in 3 seasons. If Kessel can repeat last seasons performance with another 70+ point season then yes he could be considered elite but not after just one eason.

And as for Stastnys drop off in production thing, its not him its his linemates. He's still scoring 20 goals a season, and he's scored between 20-24 goals in 4 of his 6 seasons, and one season he was on pace for 20 again. Its his assists that have dropped off significantly the last 2 years, and you cant get assists if the players your passing to cant score.

For example, After the trade deadline last year, in the 19 games Stastny played with McGinn on his wing, he had 14 or 15 points, which over an 82 game season would amount to 60-65 points. And that was only while he and McGinn develloped Chemistry, a full year together and things would excpect to be even better, probably in the 65-70 range.
Same arguments can be made for Kessel. He played with the "GOD AWFUL" (according to avs fans) Tyler Bozak and the injury prone/one hit wonder Joffrey Lupul. At the begining of last season you'd be lucky to have lupul rated a top 6 forward and Bozak a semi decent third line C. Kessel isnt regressing as Statsny is.

Anyways beating a dead horse. Kessel was a 5th overal pick (selected behind Backstrom, Toews, Johnson, Staal). He at one point was considered to be the American Sindey Crosby. It was a huge upset that he fell to #5. It was inevitable that he became as good as he was this past season.

Get him on Statnsy's line and you will have your great center back and an elite winger, i can guarantee.

First year Kessel played with Stajan and Ponikorovski. Second year he played with Bozak and other interchangeable players throughout the season. Last year he played with Lupul and Bozak. Kessel is a game changer, he controls the pace of the game.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Your post is at least reasonable unlike others who've posted here. I don't disagree with your assessment in terms of talent. I think Duchene has the most, then Stastny, then O'Reilly. But in terms of performance I certainly do disagree with you. Performance wise O'Reilly was the best. He hits, plays great in his own end (IMO he could win Selke trophies down the line) and is an excellent PKer. I agree that Stastny's skill set is more of a traditional top 6 role, but performance is what counts. If it was only about the skill set you had Phaneuf and Bouwmeester would be top 5 NHL defensemen and Kovalev would have been Crosby.
I don't want to throw out the "they play for my team so I can judge them better than you" card, but... I've seen the whole careers of these guys. Stastny put up 78 points as a rookie, O'Reilly put up 55 as the only real consistent performing centre in his third year. O'Reilly's offense and indeed his style of play is not suited to a top 6 role long term.

Stastny's decline in performance has brought much chagrin from Avs fans (aside from the ones who think he walks on water) but with consistent line-mates and no other outside factors I would expect him to comfortably out-perform O'Reilly. And given the Avs' recent drafting penchant for being strong down the middle and indeed the strength there over the team's history, I don't see either a need for the Avs to move one of our three centres (I'd expect Stastny to re-sign for something like 5 million, unless he puts up 100 point seasons the next two years) and I also don't see any benefit to come from it.

Duchene is the most talented and took a short, cheap contract to prove his worth after a bad season.
Stastny historically has the highest scoring ability and is the best playmaker on the team, and with consistent line-mates will score well
O'Reilly can play top 6 & PP minutes but, on this Avs team, plays best as a third line forechecking centre who can add in some points.

There's no way we'd be able to replace any of those without ripping a hole somewhere else and with the way the team's been built over the past three years, none of them are going anywhere.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
Also, what Rycroft said.

Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Statsny hasn't had wingers recently to help his assist totals, I still believe Statsny to be a great center. I think his point totals will be near PPG again whenever the next season is.

Kessel this year finally had someone else on his line who is capable of potting goals (Lupul) and Kessel's assist and point totals increased. When Lupul went down with injury can't count the number of a times someone like MacArthur would miss on a beauty of a pass from Kessel.

Put the two players together and add another 25-30 (basically someone who can bury the chances given to them) goal scorer and I think you are looking at the top line in the league.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I don't want to throw out the "they play for my team so I can judge them better than you" card, but... I've seen the whole careers of these guys. Stastny put up 78 points as a rookie, O'Reilly put up 55 as the only real consistent performing centre in his third year. O'Reilly's offense and indeed his style of play is not suited to a top 6 role long term.

Stastny's decline in performance has brought much chagrin from Avs fans (aside from the ones who think he walks on water) but with consistent line-mates and no other outside factors I would expect him to comfortably out-perform O'Reilly. And given the Avs' recent drafting penchant for being strong down the middle and indeed the strength there over the team's history, I don't see either a need for the Avs to move one of our three centres (I'd expect Stastny to re-sign for something like 5 million, unless he puts up 100 point seasons the next two years) and I also don't see any benefit to come from it.

Duchene is the most talented and took a short, cheap contract to prove his worth after a bad season.
Stastny historically has the highest scoring ability and is the best playmaker on the team, and with consistent line-mates will score well
O'Reilly can play top 6 & PP minutes but, on this Avs team, plays best as a third line forechecking centre who can add in some points.

There's no way we'd be able to replace any of those without ripping a hole somewhere else and with the way the team's been built over the past three years, none of them are going anywhere.
Lots of people have seen their whole careers. Most posters on here watch a lot of hockey, so I don't think that counts as any sort of evidence whatsoever. If you've seen lots of them you should be well equipped to make a strong case, but it's not evidence in and of itself.

I agree that as a rookie Stastny looked like a future franchise player. The problem is that he has regressed from that point instead of progressing from there. Great players are great players, they don't need someone to make them great. Iginla has played with third liners with the exception of three seasons of Tanguay for his whole career and still managed to produce every year. I question Stastny's desire, work ethic and toughness, not his skill level.

Coaches try not to lose generally. They'll use line combinations that benefit the team. If Stastny wasn't on a top line it was because they thought that it was better for the team. You can make a case that they were wrong to do so, but they didn't do it for any reason other than what in their opinion would make the team better.

Players regress. When Phaneuf came up with us I thought he'd have a cupboard full of Norris trophies by the time he retired. He looked like the most exciting rookie defenseman since Pronger. He regressed instead of progressing. It happens. Other examples are Gomez, Samsonov and Yashin. What someone did 7 years ago in their rookie year has no bearing on who they have become as a player.

There is a much higher probability that Duchene and O'Reilly will have a higher growth curve going forward than Stastny. That factors in as well. It's by no means guaranteed, but a stronger possibility IMO. Some guys do develop later (See Glencross, Garrison, Giordano, Gionta just to stick with the G's) but most players progress drastically until 25 or so and then progression slows down.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Whydidijoin*

Lmao, people from Colorado are saying no? What is in the water down there?

I think it's pretty obvious that it is a no from the Leafs.

Whydidijoin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Avs would never do this. Comparing the two:

One was drafted 3rd overall, is a year younger, and has proven that he has at least the capability of being a 1st line player and led his team offensively at age 19.

The other has only proven that he can play as a semi-reasonable 2nd pairing D.

Duchene has far more value IMO. Something like JVR + Gardiner is much closer value.
So, by your logic, the only way you deal your former 3rd overall is for a former 2nd overall plus?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

I say no. I might do Bozak and a 2nd for Stastny though.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Lmao, people from Colorado are saying no? What is in the water down there?

I think it's pretty obvious that it is a no from the Leafs.
I live a considerable thousands of miles from Colorado, and I still sing no no no no no, no no no no no

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
theLongR0D
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
It's not enough for the Avs to pull the trigger. Duchene's "top prospect" form has nothign to do with it, Duchene's "NHL before he got hurt last year" form is what it has to do with. Unless you're the only person that thinks Duchene's career is now over because of his injury. Kid was an allstar the season before last, yeah he got hurt last year and came back before he was healthy to try and help the playoff run, doesn't mean his future is suddenly damned.
In no way do I think Duchene's career is over & I certainly didn't imply it either. I think he is a talented player and could bounce back and have an incredible career, but it remains to be seen. James Reimer was also unbelievable until he was concussed. Then suddenly he was below average when he returned and wasn't worth the equipment he was wearing around these parts. 2 different situations I know, but for me I guess I was just never on the Duchene Train like many are/were.

theLongR0D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
To Toronto

Matt Duchene
Joey Hishon

To Colorado
Phil Kessel
Tyler Bozak/cody franson
In my opinion the Leafs say no to that trade.

Instead I would like to see Toronto send Bozak & Kadri to Colorado for Duchene, if they were to make that type of a trade.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.

Honestly I do not see all the hostility towards Kessel for Duchene. It does make some sense I mean Toronto gets that number one center. (Oddly at the cost of our Elite winger.) Where as Colorado gets a really nice piece in return who can play on the first line with Stastny. Both Stastny and Kessel would become PPG players easy they both have the skill sets to do it. Here is what I purpose.

Duchene
Top 20 protected First (Can opt to switch it to next year if in Top 20.)

Kessel
Bozack
2nd (2013)

Leafs get their center who will be around for a LONG time at the cost of their first line winger and their current first line center. (More or less 3rd line who can be 2nd line with good teammates.)

Option B

Seen Jakes name floating around thought I would give it a shot.

Duchene

Gardiner
Pick one of the following. (Blacker, Colborne, Ashton, Mckegg, Kadri)
3rd (2013) (Because you know it is HFBoards and random picks EVERYWHERE!!!)

Gives again Toronto their center by using one of the surpluses in D man and one of their more favorable prospects. For the Avs they get a young top 4 dman with top 2 potential who would look great with EJ on the top pair and again a prospect of their choice. Be it a guy with top 6 potential or a D man with top 4 PMD potential. (Would offset the loss of Liles if you took Blacker.)

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:45 PM
LilySmoov

I don't know if the Avs would go for the Gardiner deal, but I, as a Leaf fan, would do that in half a second.

LilySmoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLongR0D View Post
In no way do I think Duchene's career is over & I certainly didn't imply it either. I think he is a talented player and could bounce back and have an incredible career, but it remains to be seen. James Reimer was also unbelievable until he was concussed. Then suddenly he was below average when he returned and wasn't worth the equipment he was wearing around these parts. 2 different situations I know, but for me I guess I was just never on the Duchene Train like many are/were.
Apples and oranges. Reimer's "unbelievable" play was a much shorter period of time. You're willing to extrapolate an entire future based on that period, but it's really more likely that he was having a good run and he fell back to Earth, aided a bit by an injury. That argument really doesn't work for Duchene, who had two complete seasons under his belt, in which he showed the kind of player he could be. It's not the longest of samples, but it's certainly long enough to see that Duchene wasn't just running hot for a stretch.

Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken, Duchene's injury was lower body. Ankle, or knee or something along those lines. Concussions are tricky, and there are long-term implications. While some lower body injuries can become chronic, it's definitely not the norm, at least unless a player is rushed back before he has time to heal. Sure, any injury severe enough to cost a player half a season throws a bit of doubt into your mind, but concussions are on an entirely different level of uncertainty. That's one of the reasons they are so scary.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

A Duchene deal would have to look something like this:

To Leafs: Duchene, Small added piece

To Avs:Kessel,Gardiner

Fills 2 Avs needs as they get a scoring winger and a potential 1st or 2nd pairing D-man. Leafs get a young No. 1 Center who has loads of potential and can be built around as well as another piece.

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:04 PM
theLongR0D
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Apples and oranges. Reimer's "unbelievable" play was a much shorter period of time. You're willing to extrapolate an entire future based on that period, but it's really more likely that he was having a good run and he fell back to Earth, aided a bit by an injury. That argument really doesn't work for Duchene, who had two complete seasons under his belt, in which he showed the kind of player he could be. It's not the longest of samples, but it's certainly long enough to see that Duchene wasn't just running hot for a stretch.

Furthermore, unless I'm mistaken, Duchene's injury was lower body. Ankle, or knee or something along those lines. Concussions are tricky, and there are long-term implications. While some lower body injuries can become chronic, it's definitely not the norm, at least unless a player is rushed back before he has time to heal. Sure, any injury severe enough to cost a player half a season throws a bit of doubt into your mind, but concussions are on an entirely different level of uncertainty. That's one of the reasons they are so scary.
I guess I wasn't comparing the injuries per-say, just the ramifications on their "perceived values" after being quite pedestrian upon return. Quite frankly Duchene wasn't really all that dynamic before the injury either. He was only on a 50 point pace pre-injury. Again though, I am not saying he's done or terrible or anything like that. He could very well post great numbers from here on out, i'm just not sold on him..... yet

Last edited by theLongR0D: 10-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.
theLongR0D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:10 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Colorado needs to add.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
A Duchene deal would have to look something like this:

To Leafs: Duchene, Small added piece

To Avs:Kessel,Gardiner

Fills 2 Avs needs as they get a scoring winger and a potential 1st or 2nd pairing D-man. Leafs get a young No. 1 Center who has loads of potential and can be built around as well as another piece.
Kessel > Duchene + (small added piece)

and then you throw in Gards?

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote