HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Ranger

Old
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Paul Ranger

I thought Ranger signed a pro contract with the Marlies because that is where he wants to work on getting back. It's strictly a minor league contract. The Marlies just happen to be the affiliate of the Leafs. That's as far as his association with the Leafs goes, correct?

The reason I ask is because Leafs fans are putting him into projected lineups but for all we know, he's going to go to the highest bidder / best chance to win if he even decides he wants to play in the NHL.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
He signed his AHL contract before there was even a lockout iirc. I doubt he jumps to the NHL this season (if there is one)

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:48 PM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

he is just on an AHL contract if he wants to play in the NHL he can play for any team

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:55 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I think we assume he'd sign an NHL contract with the Leafs because of how much he gushed about coming home. He seems pretty happy to be close to his family and friends.

Should it come to that. While he's been tearing up the Marlies camp, he still has a ways to go.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I thought Ranger signed a pro contract with the Marlies because that is where he wants to work on getting back. It's strictly a minor league contract. The Marlies just happen to be the affiliate of the Leafs. That's as far as his association with the Leafs goes, correct?

The reason I ask is because Leafs fans are putting him into projected lineups but for all we know, he's going to go to the highest bidder / best chance to win if he even decides he wants to play in the NHL.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/09/28/paul-ranger-excited-for-new-beginning-with-toronto-marlies/

Quote:
ďI didnít really think about playing anywhere else, to be honest,Ē Ranger said. ďThis was a little bit of a blessing in disguise, you could say. I wanted to play here. Iíve thought about it actually for a year. Itís great to be home. I love my family and friends. Itís been a bit of a tough road, but it feels great to be here.Ē
He pretty much implies that he wants to be a Leaf if he works out with the Marlies.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I think we assume he'd sign an NHL contract with the Leafs, because of how much he gushed about coming home and playing hockey again in Toronto near family and friends.

Should it come to that. While he's been tearing up the Marlies camp, he still has a ways to go.
Yeah, he seems happy in TO: http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...ed-share-video

Obviously if another team offers him a nice deal he'd consider it too, but I'd guess that if the Leafs match another teams offer he'd prefer to stay here.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I think we assume he'd sign an NHL contract with the Leafs, because of how much he gushed about coming home and playing hockey again in Toronto near family and friends.

He's probably more a ways away mentally than physically/skill wise.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think staying near home is a TOP priority for Paul Ranger. If he is impressive in the AHL, he'll likely with Toronto IMO, that is if the Leafs think his contract would be reasonable.

Paul Ranger IMO is a better Gunnarsson, and I'd love for him to sign with the Leafs if it comes to that.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He's probably more a ways away mentally than physically/skill wise.
I would agree with that. Even if we weren't faced with a lockout, I'd still prefer him spend the season in the AHL. He needs to get reclimatized with the hockey lifestyle.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Not only do I think the Leafs are the front-runners for Ranger if he becomes ready and willing for the NHL again because of his personal preference, but I think that having him among their prospects also supports the idea. Of the teams that will watch him the most, it'll be the Leafs, as he is playing for their affiliate and Leafs scouts will be very closely eyeing any Marlies games as usual. In turn, not only will they get the best look at their prospects, but at Paul Ranger more than any other NHL team.

I think it very well could end up being something like Bernier signing with the Devils after spending time on an AHL contract with the Albany Devils. While there is no connection to the NHL parent, one has to know that parent seems like the front-runner in these rare instances. Who knows though, Ranger might not touch NHL ice this year at all, lockout or not. He's been away from the game for a very long time for a hockey player.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
dfunk

I think the Leafs are far and away the front runners because if somehow he does go on the open market, I still see him coming to Toronto.

The way I see it is this guy went from making millions to leaving the game entirely. That looks to me like someone who doesn't care about money, more so about where he is and how close he is with friends, family, whoever.

So, since it seems like the intangibles are what matter and not money, I assume the leafs are easily the front runners should he go to UFA status, simply because Toronto the city possesses all the intangibles. Who really knows though to be honest

dfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

On top of him wanting to play in Toronto, the leafs actually approached him. I doubt Burke would waste 1 of 50 contracts on a player that we didn't believe could end up on the big squad. If Burke didnt already like the player, then he wouldnt have offered him a deal.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
On top of him wanting to play in Toronto, the leafs actually approached him. I doubt Burke would waste 1 of 50 contracts on a player that we didn't believe could end up on the big squad. If Burke didnt already like the player, then he wouldnt have offered him a deal.
He's signed with the Marlies organization, not the Leafs. He doesn't take up one of our contract spots, nor do the Leafs have the option to call him up as far as I know.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
I imagine it is down to two teams- Ottawa or Toronto. He signed with the Marlies because they are the AHL team closest to home for him and most within his confort zone. I think if Ottawa had an AHL team in their city rather than all the way over in lovely Binghamton, it would have been a closer consideration. I say this solely because he has been living in Ottawa the past several years. He'll probably go to Toronto, if anywhere, but I think Ottawa will be one of the only other teams he considers.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
The Saurus

I believe he has a clause in his contract that states that he cannot sign with another team, other than the Leafs, during his tenure with the Marlies. That would give the Leafs the front edge in signing him to an NHL deal.

He wants to be a Leaf. I have no doubt in my mind that he will be a Maple Leaf and most likely be a very good top four d-man.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post

He's from the Toronto area. He wants to play in the area. It's a two way contract but one year. He will be a UFA after the season. For now he is property of the Leafs.

But don't you think if he signed a contract as a UFA with Toronto and stated he wants to play in the Toronto area and is Toronto property that there is a high likelihood of him playing in Toronto f he is successful with the Leafs?

But of course let's pretend he just signed with the Leafs so he could practice here and once he gets back to the NHL he'll sign somewhere else. Because that makes more sense.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
He's signed with the Marlies organization, not the Leafs. He doesn't take up one of our contract spots, nor do the Leafs have the option to call him up as far as I know.
They would have to sign him to an NHL contract to call him up, the Wild got in a pickle earlier this year and needed a defencemen so they signed a player that had an AHL contract with the Aero's and called him up, Kris Freidham I believe.

That said, he will probably sign with the Leafs if they offer him an NHL deal. If they don't, and another team comes a calling I doubt he would turn it down.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
He'll be offered an NHL contract from the Leafs if he plays well in the AHL.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:43 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's from the Toronto area. He wants to play in the area. It's a two way contract but one year. He will be a UFA after the season. For now he is property of the Leafs.

But don't you think if he signed a contract as a UFA with Toronto and stated he wants to play in the Toronto area and is Toronto property that there is a high likelihood of him playing in Toronto f he is successful with the Leafs?

But of course let's pretend he just signed with the Leafs so he could practice here and once he gets back to the NHL he'll sign somewhere else. Because that makes more sense.
He did not sign a two contract. He signed a Minor league contract with the Marlies. I don't know if there is a clause like others state that he can only sign with the leafs while under contract with the Marlies(although I would be surprised if thats allowed by the AHL cba).

That said, on your second point. While I do think if he does end up signing an NHL deal, it will probably be with the Leafs. I don't think its out of the question for a guy thats been out of hockey for a couple years to sign an AHL deal with a team solely because its close to home. Its an AHL deal, so its not like he is making a million bucks this season. He is probably getting around the league minimum after being out so long. An NHL deal, with any team would increase his salary atleast 5 times and he would probably be a lot more open to moving.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Ah thanks. Thought it was 50 split between the leafs and marlies.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Ah thanks. Thought it was 50 split between the leafs and marlies.
Those only apply to Leafs property that have been assigned to the Marlies, such as Crabb last year, AHL prospects...etc.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:28 PM
socratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I imagine it is down to two teams- Ottawa or Toronto. He signed with the Marlies because they are the AHL team closest to home for him and most within his confort zone. I think if Ottawa had an AHL team in their city rather than all the way over in lovely Binghamton, it would have been a closer consideration. I say this solely because he has been living in Ottawa the past several years. He'll probably go to Toronto, if anywhere, but I think Ottawa will be one of the only other teams he considers.
He hasn't actually been living in Ottawa, he just went to school there a couple days a week for 2 semesters.

That said, I really believe his focus right now is completely on playing with the Marlies and enjoying that. I think it allows him the flexibility to do other things that he values, like continuing to coach. While I wouldn't rule out a return to the NHL, I don't think he's in any rush to get there.

He seems to be happy, in shape, and ready to play hard for the Marlies.

socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:40 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Those only apply to Leafs property that have been assigned to the Marlies, such as Crabb last year, AHL prospects...etc.
Crabb was a Marlie on an AHL contract that was called up by the leafs early in the year.. no?

Old
10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Hawaiinleaf

There is no chance Ranger is an AHL player he is a top 4 in NHL and its a huge win for the Leafs to get him

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Crabb was a Marlie on an AHL contract that was called up by the leafs early in the year.. no?
You can't be called up by an nhl team if you're on an ahl contract. Crabb was signed to a two-way nhl deal meaning that if he were sent to the ahl, he would be paid a different, lower salary than that he would get if he were to stick with the leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
There is no chance Ranger is an AHL player he is a top 4 in NHL and its a huge win for the Leafs to get him
You sound pretty sure about a guy who hasn't played in a couple years. But judging by some of your other absolutely ridiculous posts I've seen, this one doesn't surprise me. I'm sure other leafs fans are just going to love you on here.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote