HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT stupid website questions

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2006, 12:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
OT stupid website questions

I need help from those of you who work with websites. I am considering doing my own website to cover our prospects since I no longer write for HF and Habsworld I don't know if they will be around or not in the future. I want a good looking site but don't want it to cost me much money. I would have to pay a company to build one, although I think I can get someone from my college to do it for cheap. How hard is it to maintain? I don't want a message board cause I do NOT want to have to moderate it! I also don't think I'd have stats cause I was always bad at tables and when I wrote for HF I rarely updated the stats cause it was so hard to do (at least for me it was)

I'm interested in podcasting as I still have some contacts here and there and might be able to swing some interviews on my own, although that not something I can do too often. What would be great is if I could somehow put clips of some of the games I've got on vhs/dvd. I've got an insane collection (I've been trying to cut back this year, not spend so much money) But I'm sure people would like to see Komisarek at Michigan, Kostitsyn with CSKA, Korpikari with Karpat, Grabovsky with Neftekhimik/Dynamo, Wyman with Dartmouth, Emelin with Lada (Buturlin as well) Korneev with the National team (Buturlin/Tarasov as well) Latendresse at the remax games, Perezhogin scoring wicked goals etc.... But I don't know if it's even possible and I wouldn't want it to cost me a lot of money since I might cut back my hours at work for a couple months.

So if others can help answer some questions, keep in mind I am not that good with computers and while I had some classes in college, it needs to be easy to do or I won't end up doing it.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:40 AM
Russeltown

The girlfriend of one of my friends can build you a website. She's a pro. I don't know how much she asks btw.

Old
05-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Slick Nick

Great project, I hope you get some support for the technical part of it. Definitly going to visit your page when it's up!

Old
05-10-2006, 02:25 AM
Tricolore#20

It's a great idea Dan!

I really hope that we could get something for the Canadiens, like what Guy Flaming has done for the Oilers' prospects. He hosts the Pipeline Radio Show every week on local radio here, and has a very attractive website up (www.thepipelineshow.com). I think the website has tremendous potential. He does audio archives of the interviews that he does on his show, and has a nice feature on the front page every week. I think if he added his articles to the site, and made it more of a prospect site (rather than primarily for the radio show), it would be great. Best of luck, and hopefully we can get something set up!!

Old
05-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Well, I just got to work (that would be a web design job, conveniently) so I might be able to help out. I'm better at the design aspect than the coding side of things, but it depends how technical you want the site to be. The best thing to do at this stage would be to plan out exactly what you would want the website to do, what pages would be on it, and what features you would want on it (you mentioned podcasting and videos, anything along these lines which isn't standard text or pictures is best to consider at the planning stage).

Also, have a think about what colours you would want (although if its a Habs page, its probably obvious) and what domain name(s) you would want. Best thing to do would be decide on what you want to name the site and sort the domain(s) out first, then decide on the structure of the site (how many pages, what the pages are called, what type of content) and then worry about finding a design for the site.

As for maintaining the site, difficulty of that can vary. If you can pick up a copy of Macromedia Dreamweaver, its easy to get the hang of adding text or images to a page, adding video may take a bit longer (unless you just have a standard piece of code you can copy and paste and just change the name of the file you want to show). As for podcasting, not done anything along those lines myself I'm afraid. If you end up needing something quite technical though, a friend of mine loves the coding side of things and works on rather complex sites so he may be able to help out.

If you want me to knock up some quick design ideas, please feel free to ask. I'm sure there would be plenty of people here willing to lend a hand in some way, me included. And good luck with the project.

Old
05-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Habmaster

If you need some Flash help - send me a msg - I build cool flash websites for a living.

example: Meatlocker Seven

Old
05-10-2006, 06:08 AM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I need help from those of you who work with websites. I am considering doing my own website to cover our prospects since I no longer write for HF and Habsworld I don't know if they will be around or not in the future. I want a good looking site but don't want it to cost me much money. I would have to pay a company to build one, although I think I can get someone from my college to do it for cheap. How hard is it to maintain? I don't want a message board cause I do NOT want to have to moderate it! I also don't think I'd have stats cause I was always bad at tables and when I wrote for HF I rarely updated the stats cause it was so hard to do (at least for me it was)

I'm interested in podcasting as I still have some contacts here and there and might be able to swing some interviews on my own, although that not something I can do too often. What would be great is if I could somehow put clips of some of the games I've got on vhs/dvd. I've got an insane collection (I've been trying to cut back this year, not spend so much money) But I'm sure people would like to see Komisarek at Michigan, Kostitsyn with CSKA, Korpikari with Karpat, Grabovsky with Neftekhimik/Dynamo, Wyman with Dartmouth, Emelin with Lada (Buturlin as well) Korneev with the National team (Buturlin/Tarasov as well) Latendresse at the remax games, Perezhogin scoring wicked goals etc.... But I don't know if it's even possible and I wouldn't want it to cost me a lot of money since I might cut back my hours at work for a couple months.

So if others can help answer some questions, keep in mind I am not that good with computers and while I had some classes in college, it needs to be easy to do or I won't end up doing it.
Hey Dan,
Given the budget and your overall intention in terms of content, I would suggest installing a content management system (cms) like PHPNuke. PHPNuke is basically an all in one solution that is built in order to give a high level of flexibility to the conent provider in terms of sections and features.

I built a site a few months ago centered around PHPNuke and it was incredibly easy. Before I go on, please visit http://www.phpnuke.org/. This is the PHPNuke site and is running the software. Every single thing you see on that site is user customizable without the need to have a programmer involved. For example, the navigation areas on the left and right are all controlled from the intuitive administration panel. From this panel, you can easily select what sections and features you want your site to have and what menu options you want your userbase to see. In a nutshell, you can have as many or as little features as you reguire.

For your needs, you might be interested to know that since PHPNuke is all about content management, it will be very simple for you to start publishing content right away because of editorial functions, and story archives. PHPNuke even automatically manages content by categories that you specify. For example, if you were to write an article about Junior players in the OHL, you could have a section dedicated to only this category (OHL). All the information will stay nicely organized. You even have a section where you can manage user downloads. Since you are interested in Podcasting, it would be easy for you to upload your content there and assign it a category and label.

As far as the look and feel of the site, PHPNuke has many options available to you right out of the box. Last time I checked, it came with about 10 default themes that can be installed in two click: select a theme in the admin panel and watch your whole site conform to the colors and feel you selected. There are plenty of other themes out there that could be added to your installation if you don't find anything particularly interesting by default. Alternatively, you can get a graphic designer to construct a theme for you rather easily.

PHPNuke can be a community driven site, or not. What I mean is that your users have the ability to log into your site and interact. There are features like PM that will let users communicate together, and also submit their own content for you for review. For example, if you have a contact that wants to help you out by producing their own original content, you can set them up with an account and they can immediately start producing content.

Lastly: Installation and Cost.

Installation depends on your hosting provider. For example, I currently am hosted with Yahoo hosting for about 11 dollars a month. With my Yahoo account, I can activate a new PHPNuke installation in about three minutes. All I have to do is log into my account and click the "Install PHPNuke" link. Once that is done, I go to my website and can start creating content immediately. PHPNuke is a free opensource solution. You do not have to pay anything as far as a one time fee or a recurring subscription. All you have to do is choose a quality hosting provider that has auto-installation of PHPNuke.

In a nutshell, for your needs, I think this is the best solution. Easy install, intuitive interface and great features. Install it, skin it, and pump content into it. Most times when individuals want to start a website, they are dragged down by the technicalities of creating or coding their site. Add to that the graphical and marketing elements are also time consuming. PHPNuke is an easy way for you to install a professional looking database driven site in minutes, that you will be able to maintain without needing to call a coder every so often. And best of all, and most of my fellow posters will agree, you will be able to start delivering content almost immediatley. If you want some more information, PM me and I would be happy to help!

Old
05-10-2006, 10:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Thanks for all the help. The PHP-nuke sounds like the way to go. I'll look into it some more and see what I can come up with.

Closed Thread