HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Non-Ski Resort - Gamer Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
The thing about legalising pot is that it doesn't change anything. Gangs will continue to make lucrative money from it, as they can sell it to the U.S., where it is still illegal.
Legalizing pot does a lot, actually. Government can grow their own crops and could employ former growers, or ex-criminals and could make decent coin. They get a significant amount of money out of it. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather buy pot from a regulated government source whose product is clean than a shady-ass dealer who runs a grow-op in his basement that could have pathogens in it.

It makes smoking pot safer for the consumers who don't want anything to do with crime and makes more money for the government. It makes Canada safer and richer, I don't see how it doesn't benefit us at all. Sadly, like another poster alluded to it won't be legal here until the US makes it legal. Couldn't imagine they would be too happy with pot being so readily available so close to home.

Quote:
And if anything, legalising pot with allow the gangs to make even more money. They don't have to hide their grow-ups!
I'm sure once upon a time, somebody used this same exact argument with alcohol prohibition and Capone's gang. Look what happened there, and Capone was one of the best.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Legalizing pot does a lot, actually. Government can grow their own crops and could employ former growers, or ex-criminals and could make decent coin. They get a significant amount of money out of it. I can't speak for everyone, but I'd rather buy pot from a regulated government source whose product is clean than a shady-ass dealer who runs a grow-op in his basement that could have pathogens in it.

It makes smoking pot safer for the consumers who don't want anything to do with crime and makes more money for the government. It makes Canada safer and richer, I don't see how it doesn't benefit us at all. Sadly, like another poster alluded to it won't be legal here until the US makes it legal. Couldn't imagine they would be too happy with pot being so readily available so close to home.

I'm sure once upon a time, somebody used this same exact argument with alcohol prohibition and Capone's gang. Look what happened there, and Capone was one of the best.
That's only when the U.S. got rid of alcohol prohibition. As long as the U.S. continues to make pot illegal, the gangs will make money. I'm just saying legallising pot won't do anything unless the U.S. follows suit. Solving this issue is not as easy as legalising pot here in Canada.

Also, didn't Capone get arrested for tax evasion, rather than his exploits?

Old
10-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
That's only when the U.S. got rid of alcohol prohibition. As long as the U.S. continues to make pot illegal, the gangs will make money. I'm just saying legallising pot won't do anything unless the U.S. follows suit. Solving this issue is not as easy as legalising pot here in Canada.

Also, didn't Capone get arrested for tax evasion, rather than his exploits?
Yes. But 80+ years later, alcohol is no longer a crime-fueled business. When was it a crime-fueled business? When it was illegal. It just makes sense to legalize, especially when it is something as benign as pot. But just from what you've said it seems like you and I agree.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Anodyne

Eliminating gang issues is only one suggested upside of it. Currently, we throw people in jail for using a drug that never killed anyone itself. It's not really fair when you think about the actual criminals we put them on par with and how hard a criminal record can make life for a person and his or her family--and it's not like it's going to get easier under Harper.

It's too depressing to even talk about why weed it became illegal in the first place.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
Eliminating gang issues is only one suggested upside of it. Currently, we throw people in jail for using a drug that never killed anyone itself. It's not really fair when you think about the actual criminals we put them on par with and how hard a criminal record can make life for a person and his or her family--and it's not like it's going to get easier under Harper.

It's too depressing to even talk about why weed it became illegal in the first place.
But what I'm trying to say is that legalising weed only in Canada doesn't solve the gang issue. Actually, legalising weed in Canada but not in the U.S. will cause the gangs to produce even more and sell it to the States.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:

This is pretty much what I was trying to drive home.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:00 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Yes, but Harper's government is a conservative one. As such, they are very anti-pot. Ever since they got majority, pot has been more closely enforced, at least in my observations.

USA is actually looking like it's moving forward a bit on this issue, and Canada further back. It may not be solely because of this reason, but I am fairly disenchanted with Harper and his government. Sadly, there isn't anybody out there right now that's much better. Mulcair being the closest to my vote, I'd say.
If you mean closer ties to the US then yes conservative government = more crackdown on pot but I believe if the US became lax the conservative gov wouldn't care about pot at all and would actually look forward to all the tax revenues.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
If you mean closer ties to the US then yes conservative government = more crackdown on pot but I believe if the US became lax the conservative gov wouldn't care about pot at all and would actually look forward to all the tax revenues.
Yes, you are completely correct. Reasons like this is why I find myself so enamoured with US politics. Maybe even more so than Canadian politics.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Man, gotta love the Hip. The top-rated comment pretty well describes this video.

Old
10-04-2012, 04:15 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
But what I'm trying to say is that legalising weed only in Canada doesn't solve the gang issue. Actually, legalising weed in Canada but not in the U.S. will cause the gangs to produce even more and sell it to the States.
And honestly, the difference between one being high and one being drunk is that when one is high they want to watch Zoboomafoo and the Planet Earth series and just chill or explore.

When one is drunk, they want to dance and fight.

I don't know, this is just what I have witnessed with my bear eyes, of course everyone has different experiences that they take away from each situation.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:28 AM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
Off to Portland today, and San Fran Saturday, Sonoma Wednesday, and then back in a week. Sorta glad I wont be missing any hockey...

Old
10-04-2012, 01:34 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCity Millionaires View Post
Off to Portland today, and San Fran Saturday, Sonoma Wednesday, and then back in a week. Sorta glad I wont be missing any hockey...
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Enjoy.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
KISSland

Anyone wondering about dubstep.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Yes, you are completely correct. Reasons like this is why I find myself so enamoured with US politics. Maybe even more so than Canadian politics.
Kelly Oxford: Canadians watch American politics like Americans watch Jersey Shore.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Kelly Oxford: Canadians watch American politics like Americans watch Jersey Shore.
It's way more exciting than Canadian politics.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
I watched Jersey Shore once. It was terrible. I hear Snooki is actually pretty smart though. Can't blame the actors for wanting to get their 15 minutes and make some money though. It's a horrible show but good on them for making a living.

MTV is completely to blame. They took something as good as music and degraded it to what it is today. Instead of hearing what Dave Grohl and other actual musicians have going on, I have auto-tuned ******** from people that can't sing but look good. Katy Perry is one of the most decorated musicians today and she's really not that great at singing, but millions of American males want to get in her pants and that's why she sells. She doesn't have anything real important to say, neither does Taylor Swift even though I actually find her music appealing. Music used to be a release. They played good songs on the radio instead of some **** played by someone that is aesthetically pleasing.

Music hit a peak a long time ago and has trailed off into obscurity. People have to search in the dark by themselves to find good music because radio stations refuse to play it, and prefer to play something by somebody who has nice breasts. For this reason, **** music videos.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
I watched Jersey Shore once. It was terrible. I hear Snooki is actually pretty smart though. Can't blame the actors for wanting to get their 15 minutes and make some money though. It's a horrible show but good on them for making a living.

MTV is completely to blame. They took something as good as music and degraded it to what it is today. Instead of hearing what Dave Grohl and other actual musicians have going on, I have auto-tuned ******** from people that can't sing but look good. Katy Perry is one of the most decorated musicians today and she's really not that great at singing, but millions of American males want to get in her pants and that's why she sells. She doesn't have anything real important to say, neither does Taylor Swift even though I actually find her music appealing. Music used to be a release. They played good songs on the radio instead of some **** played by someone that is aesthetically pleasing.

Music hit a peak a long time ago and has trailed off into obscurity. People have to search in the dark by themselves to find good music because radio stations refuse to play it, and prefer to play something by somebody who has nice breasts. For this reason, **** music videos.
Which is why I listen to (good) musicals and classical music.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:03 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:

You seem to find a way to post pretty much this exact post in here at least once a week.. I'm not going to go through and poke all the usual holes in it but I'm starting to become curious, how much of your average day is occupied by this narrative / line of thinking?

Old
10-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

On the topic of good musicians.....

It was 50 years ago today that The Beatles released their first single!

This A & B side are both Lennon/McCartney originals which wasn't the norm for the early 60's as bands releasing singles would always do compositions by professional song writers. Originally George Martin wanted them to do a song which he felt would go to #1 on the English charts called "How Do You Do It?" (which he eventually gave Gerry & The Pacemakers & it went to #1). However Lennon/McCartney were adamant on doing their own material & George Martin felt Love Me Do was commercial enough & would sell. It was released & went straight to #17 in England... it was actually never a anywhere #1 until a backlog of Bealtes early songs (62-64) were released in the States in '64 when Beatlemania made its way to the US & Americans were eating up anything Beatles.

Even before they were this big name band they were already changing how things were done in the music business by writing, performing & releasing their own material. This of course is pretty standard for this day & age but back then it was quite the stand. They had the balls to live or die on their own material when they had a producer basically handing them a #1.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
You seem to find a way to post pretty much this exact post in here at least once a week.. I'm not going to go through and poke all the usual holes in it but I'm starting to become curious, how much of your average day is occupied by this narrative / line of thinking?
Only when I am drunk. So once or twice a week.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
RobertKron

Quote:

Garbage in - Garbage out. If you're too lazy to seek out good music, you probably shouldn't complain when you don't find good music. I don't really understand why anyone who is enthusiastic about music would even pay attention to commercial radio or music TV. It's like a die-hard hockey enthusiast looking to The Vancouver Sun sports section or Don Cherry for insightful analysis, or if someone were to watch the X Games to keep up to date with the BMX world.

Last edited by RobertKron: 10-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Garbage in - Garbage out. If you're too lazy to seek out good music, you probably shouldn't complain when you don't find good music.
I hear this often and it doesn't really make sense to me and I don't feel it is a valid counter-point to my point so much as it is someone trying to be condescending through a shallow medium such as the internet. My point isn't that there is no good music out there. My point is why do we now have to sift through the ******** to find it? And I think everyone knows why.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
I hear this often and it doesn't really make sense to me and I don't feel it is a valid counter-point to my point so much as it is someone trying to be condescending through a shallow medium such as the internet. My point isn't that there is no good music out there. My point is why do we now have to sift through the ******** to find it? And I think everyone knows why.
The lowest common denominator is the easiest to suck money out of, which is why they pander to them. I haven't listened to the radio in years because of it.

Old
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Garbage in - Garbage out. If you're too lazy to seek out good music, you probably shouldn't complain when you don't find good music. I don't really understand why anyone who is enthusiastic about music would even pay attention to commercial radio or music TV. It's like a die-hard hockey enthusiast looking to The Vancouver Sun sports section or Don Cherry for insightful analysis, or if someone were to watch the X Games to keep up to date with the BMX world.
I see you've added more to your argument, so I'll bite here.

Just because I believe mainstream music media are really more of a business rather than a medium to listen to music doesn't mean I deny the fact they have heavy influence to how people see music. I accept the fact that this happens. I don't feel I'd be properly informed to critique this if I didn't occasionally pay attention to it. Just like how I wouldn't critique anything Don Cherry says without looking at the full context of his opinions.

Ultimately, yes there is still good music out there that I feel is being wronged by not having their talents broadcasted to the general public because a panel of music big-wigs feel they aren't "hip" enough to sell their image rather than sell their music. Is that view really so wrong?

Old
10-05-2012, 02:41 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
I see you've added more to your argument, so I'll bite here.

Just because I believe mainstream music media are really more of a business rather than a medium to listen to music doesn't mean I deny the fact they have heavy influence to how people see music. I accept the fact that this happens. I don't feel I'd be properly informed to critique this if I didn't occasionally pay attention to it. Just like how I wouldn't critique anything Don Cherry says without looking at the full context of his opinions.

Ultimately, yes there is still good music out there that I feel is being wronged by not having their talents broadcasted to the general public because a panel of music big-wigs feel they aren't "hip" enough to sell their image rather than sell their music. Is that view really so wrong?
It's something that has gone on since the dawn of radio, though. The issue you're talking about now is an inevitable outcome of the fact that everyone, in every industry, has gotten way better at selling things, and has recognized that it is more effective to concentrate on building a brand rather than a product.

But still, we've always had to sift through mountains of absolute crap on mainstream pop radio. It just looks like we didn't have to in the past because, for the most part, hindsight has sifted out much of the crap from previous eras, and only the stuff that was actually alright has held up through the decades.

As an added bonus, I no longer have to find out about good bands by looking at what T-Shirt someone is wearing during a TV appearance and then mail-ordering that record blind from a tiny label ad in the back of MRnR or whatever.

Closed Thread