HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Gilroy signs AHL contract w/Whale then Rangers?

Old
10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 500
People are really crapping on Gilroy for no reason.

He's a serviceable defenseman. He didn't live up to his hype, but that doesn't make him a bad player. He's a decent #6.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Kershaw

YES!

This hopefully means Bickel is castled off to the ECHL where he belongs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
YES!

This hopefully means Bickel is castled off to the ECHL where he belongs.
+1 on this.

By no means do I think Gilroy is more than a bottom pairing guy in the NHL, but saying you'd want Bickel in the line up over Gilroy is mind boggling. I have nothing against the guy personally, but Bickel is one of the worst players I've ever seen put on a Rangers sweater for as long as I remember, and yes, I do remember the pre-lockout dark days. I'm cringing at the thought that he actually saw ice time in games as important as the ECF series against the Devils.

Gilroy brings a puck moving element out of the back end that this team still severely lacks. By no means does he solve that problem, but he helps. It doesn't hurt that he's another right handed shot, either.

Last edited by I Eat Crow: 10-05-2012 at 05:15 PM.
I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
+1 on this.

By no means do I think Gilroy is more than a bottom pairing guy in the NHL, but saying you'd want Bickel in the line up over Gilroy is mind boggling. I have nothing against the guy personally, but Bickel is one of the worst players I've ever seen put on a Rangers sweater for as long as I remember, and yes, I do remember the pre-lockout dark days. I'm cringing at the thought that he actually saw ice time in games as important as the ECF series against the Devils.

Gilroy brings a puck moving element out of the back end that this time still severely lacks. By no means does he solve that problem, but he helps. It doesn't hurt that he's another right handed shot, either.
I can't believe we signed Bickel for 2 years AND a 1-way contract. That's just way too stupid.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

possible 7th defenseman. i'd def take bickel over him as well.

if/when we get del zotto:
mcdonagh/girardi
staal/stralman
del zotto/bickel

gilroy>eminger (albeit it's close)

and of course sauer or mcilrath when ready would likely bump stralman and bickel down

honestly nothing wrong with this as of right now it's just an ahl contract. we can never have too much extra depth and the options out there aren't much better. def needed better defensive depth for the ahl team.

def a different kind of defenseman over what we have in the depth

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Decent AHL player? He was a decent NHL player. Not great, but certainly not horrendous. I'm no fan of his, but he's okay for depth purposes and is better overall than Bickel.
I think the bigger question is is he better than Eminger. Right now provided we sign Del Zotto and Sauer doesn't make a miracle comeback we have

Mcd-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Eminger-Stralman

assuming he plays Del Zotto and Eminger on their off sides, though the two could be interchanged. Is Gilroy better than Eminger? We know he is better than Bickel but Stu should make the roster as pro depth for #8 dman and the wing.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Still think he'd make a decent forward

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
eco's bones

Gilroy is a better skater and definitely more skilled than Bickel but he hasn't proven he can handle the physical play. He's soft. I don't mind signing him--if nothing else it's depth that can step into the NHL but Bickel is ahead of him for a job because he can handle the physical play. Hopefully Stu will improve off of last season--much stranger things have happened. In any event if he doesn't the Rangers are going to have a need to bring in somebody else and Gilroy isn't that guy.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Other than being 2 below average NHL players, they have nearly nothing in common.

At least Stu will drop the gloves.
I agree with this. Gilroy made one really great pass that I can remember in his time here, and that's it.

Him and Stu are about equal as far as i'm concerned.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree with this. Gilroy made one really great pass that I can remember in his time here, and that's it.

Him and Stu are about equal as far as i'm concerned.
Gilroy averaged 17 minutes a game last year to Bickel's 13, and actually played penalty kill for a portion of the season.

Torts avoided Bickel on anything special teams related.

So even if you assume they are about equal at even strength, what Gilroy does as a player who has played in numerous special teams roles for the Ranegrs is a guy that allows the Girardis, the Staals, to play either less minutes over a long schedule or potentially more in a PK and ES role as opposed to having to be out there on the PP.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Gilroy averaged 17 minutes a game last year to Bickel's 13, and actually played penalty kill for a portion of the season.

Torts avoided Bickel on anything special teams related.

So even if you assume they are about equal at even strength, what Gilroy does as a player who has played in numerous special teams roles for the Ranegrs is a guy that allows the Girardis, the Staals, to play either less minutes over a long schedule or potentially more in a PK and ES role as opposed to having to be out there on the PP.
He did it for one of the worst defensive teams in the league, though. Unless i'm completely making things up, which is possible since i'm pretty exhausted right now.

I don't think Stu is good- but i'd rather have his ability to fight then an extra 4 minutes of Gilroy doing nothing productive. I'm sure Bickel could be just as bad with those minutes as Gilroy, but still eat them up.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
XLJ

I used to kill Gilroy, but I have no problem with resigning him. Let Gilroy, Eminger and Bickel compete for the 6th spot. If they all suck then look to upgrade at the trade deadline.

I do think Eminger and Gilroy are both better than Bickel.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Thats like saying you can never have enough turds in your closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Depth never hurts.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Vitto79

It's a good move for Ahl depth and sure NYC would sign him to a two way deal but he's only Ahl depth even after the lockout. Are people forgetting Bickel fights so serves a role vs division rivals

Last edited by Vitto79: 10-05-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I can't believe we signed Bickel for 2 years AND a 1-way contract. That's just way too stupid.
Not really cause he's on the team this yr for sure as the 7 0r 8th dman and emergency 4 th line wing. DZ is signing and Sauer could be healthy when the lockout ends. Gilroy is a Ahl call up option only. Bickel and Eminger have one way deals and gives 8 D, McD,girardi, staal ,stralman, dz, sauer,Bickel, eminger

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think some of you are forgetting just how bad Gilroy was in his own end. Out-muscled constantly in front of the net and in the corners, poor gap control, and for as good as his straight line skating was he got beat to the outside a good deal.

I don't hate the signing (there's no risk and it is just more competition), but if he is getting a regular shift I am a bit worried.

10-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Bickel takes up about 1% of the salary cap. We've had players produce less for more money. If he is the bad contract on this team I am flippin thrilled.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Its either going to be Gilroy or Eminger an the choice frankly will come down to the type of teams we ply and whoever is in better form at the time.

And if we get substantial defensive injuries (It has happened) we have guys with NHL experience who can step in instead of... exactly who do we have in Connecticut? McIlrath without a kneecap?

Old
10-05-2012, 06:27 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Thats like saying you can never have enough turds in your closet.
Well, not at all actually. Because if he doesn't work out on the big club (assuming that's the goal with bringing him back) then he can go to the Whale where he'd instantly be one of the clubs best defenseman.

You took my words wrong. I meant "nothing wrong with depth" when they're all suited to be depth players on the roster. Would I have a problem with having 6 Gilroy's on defense, and then signing a 7th Gilroy? You better believe it. But when we have 3 people on a similar level all vying for the 6th defensive spot in the lineup, then that is never, absolutely never, a problem.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Other than being 2 below average NHL players, they have nearly nothing in common.

At least Stu will drop the gloves.
Tell me who said they had something in common? I don't understand your response to my quote...

I don't really think there is an argument as to who is a better hockey player.

EDIT: Fighting is a different story I guess and I guess some people think there is a need to goon it up in divisional games.

Last edited by Fanned On It: 10-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:57 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Gilroy is still an above average offensive player. His defense is below average but I do believe he can keep up with the speed in his own end...its his size, strength, and defensive awareness that are weak. Maybe he can work on those things more. There are good defensmen that he would be surrounded by. He offers more than Bickel when you match up there games, no doubt about that. I think he can be a much better player offensively than eminger but he is nowhere near as good defensively (not that eminger is some stud but you understand what im saying). And because defense comes first with torts thats why eminger would get more time. But if youre playing a weaker offensive team, like some have suggested then you give gilroy a shot.

I also dont understand people showing bickel the door so quickly. I'm not a huge fan of his but he sticks up for his teammates, he did get better as the year went on but still not enough. Theres no reason to send him down unless you need that roster spot for a forward.

Regardless this could all become a moot point if Sauer can come back at some point.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No more Gilroy please. The ship has sailed. There's a reason why he hasn't stuck on any other of the NHL rosters he's played on. He is not an NHL caliber defensemen.

Eminger > Gilroy

Hell I'll even take Bickel over Gilroy.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Best forechecking defenseman in the league.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Fanned On It

Not to de-rail the thread, but, what is the deal with Del Zotto? Why hasn't he signed and are we actually at risk of losing him?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Rangers79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Not to de-rail the thread, but, what is the deal with Del Zotto? Why hasn't he signed and are we actually at risk of losing him?
Players aren't allowed to interact with teams during a lockout.

Rangers79 is offline   Reply With Quote