HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
  #101
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
Let's go rangers!

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
  #102
silverfish
Player Usage
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Is anyone watching this game right now?

Infield fly? What a terrible call, one of the worst I've ever seen in a baseball game.

EDIT - Braves fans showering the field with garbage right now.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
  #103
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
So, how is a popup to the outfield that's dropped called as infield fly rule?

It wasn't in the INFIELD, how was it an INFIELD fly rule?

I'm not surprised fans threw their bottles on the field.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
  #104
silverfish
Player Usage
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 19,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
So, how is a popup to the outfield that's dropped called as infield fly rule?

It wasn't in the INFIELD, how was it an INFIELD fly rule?

I'm not surprised fans threw their bottles on the field.
Can the umpire crew not over turn an infield fly rule call? Because there's 5 other guys out there, somebody do the right thing.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
  #105
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
It obviously was a terrible call but the fans throwing bottles on the field is a joke.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
  #106
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Can the umpire crew not over turn an infield fly rule call? Because there's 5 other guys out there, somebody do the right thing.
They can discuss it and overturn it, but they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
It obviously was a terrible call but the fans throwing bottles on the field is a joke.
If it was a regular season game.. sure, but this is a 1 game playoff for who gets to go to the postseason. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell to have your season end like this.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:06 PM
  #107
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 12,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
They can discuss it and overturn it, but they won't.



If it was a regular season game.. sure, but this is a 1 game playoff for who gets to go to the postseason. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell to have your season end like this.
There's still plenty of time in the game and its a waste of everyone's time. I'd be mad as hell to but never to the point where I'd throw stuff on the field.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
  #108
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,140
vCash: 500
**** the Braves and their classless POS fans. They deserve to lose after that kind of a performance. All the **** they put the Mets fans through all these years, the last 2 years of the Braves being good then collapsing, and now blowing it in the 1 game playoff. This is for all the calls they got in their 15 year division run. Karma is a *****.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:23 PM
  #109
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,628
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't understand how a ball that lands behind an infielder who is 11 strides onto the outfield grass can be considered an infield fly.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
  #110
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
Well, this was a real great start to the new structure. First ever wild card game, and there's a ridiculous blown call and a long delay due to trash being thrown on the field.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:50 PM
  #111
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Infield fly. Lol.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:51 PM
  #112
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,790
vCash: 50
Awards:
An infield fly is supposed to be called when the infielder can catch the ball with an "ordinary effort." That's what the rulebook states. It has nothing to do with the ball actually falling in the infield or outfield. It was a routine play for the SS, calling an infield fly on that play is not as insane as you guys are making it out to be.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:55 PM
  #113
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
An infield fly is supposed to be called when the infielder can catch the ball with an "ordinary effort." That's what the rulebook states. It has nothing to do with the ball actually falling in the infield or outfield. It was a routine play for the SS, calling an infield fly on that play is not as insane as you guys are making it out to be.
Infield fly rule is supposed to be called immediately, not a split second before the ball drops.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
  #114
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,628
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
An infield fly is supposed to be called when the infielder can catch the ball with an "ordinary effort." That's what the rulebook states. It has nothing to do with the ball actually falling in the infield or outfield. It was a routine play for the SS, calling an infield fly on that play is not as insane as you guys are making it out to be.
It has to be called immediately. It wasn't. I would argue that going 11 strides into the OF isn't routine. The SS was not under the ball waiting for it to come down. 3 pretty big flubs.

I also think the SS thinking he's being called off by the LF can of makes no longer an infield fly.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:13 PM
  #115
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 12,159
vCash: 500
an infield fly rule is there to prevent a double play by dropping the ball. their wasnt a chance in hell they were turning a double play by dropping the ball and throwwing to 3rd and then 2nd.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
  #116
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,790
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Infield fly rule is supposed to be called immediately, not a split second before the ball drops.
It should have been called immediately, you're right.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
  #117
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,790
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It has to be called immediately. It wasn't. I would argue that going 11 strides into the OF isn't routine. The SS was not under the ball waiting for it to come down. 3 pretty big flubs.

I also think the SS thinking he's being called off by the LF can of makes no longer an infield fly.
He was underneath it. He pulled off at the last moment, but he was completely underneath of it with minimal effort. There's not a professional SS out there that would call that anything other than routine.

I don't think it was the RIGHT call, but with a literal and rigid interpretation of the rules, it's not really incorrect.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
  #118
30theking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
The infield fly rule is considered a judgment call, which means that the judgment of the umpire must govern. It also states that the rule is to be called immediately and is solely based on the umpire's discretion. Since different umpires may have different definitions of "ordinary effort", the rule may be implemented differently depending on the umpire.

So what it all really comes down to is what umpire is making the call, and if you watch baseball alot you know certain umpires have their own set of rules that they go by.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
  #119
TCRF
RICK. GNASH
 
TCRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 19,573
vCash: 476


Lets go Yankees

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
  #120
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
I have no problem with the SS going to the outfield, but I am pretty confused on why the baseline ump called it infield fly that last second.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
  #121
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,919
vCash: 500
Happy to see the O's get in (or advance depending on how you view this wild card game.) AL side of things is extremely interesting between the Yanks being in it even though I'm a Met fan and the O's and A's story.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:45 AM
  #122
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,551
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
The infield fly rule is considered a judgment call, which means that the judgment of the umpire must govern. It also states that the rule is to be called immediately and is solely based on the umpire's discretion. Since different umpires may have different definitions of "ordinary effort", the rule may be implemented differently depending on the umpire.

So what it all really comes down to is what umpire is making the call, and if you watch baseball alot you know certain umpires have their own set of rules that they go by.
Personally I think the protest should've overturned the call.

The call on the field was pretty blatantly wrong, but that's not why I think it should've been overturned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...on_terms_2.jsp

It says here that the umps shall immediately declare the infield fly. When the ump called the infield fly the ball was a split second away from hitting the ground. The window to call the infield fly has already passed, so the rulebook was not applied correctly in this situation.

And honestly, the whole situation could've been avoided if the 6 umps got together and agreed it was the wrong call and changed it. But that never happens, and that's another reason I will always hate human officials. Their egos are more important in a crucial game like this then getting the call right.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:00 AM
  #123
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,790
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Personally I think the protest should've overturned the call.

The call on the field was pretty blatantly wrong, but that's not why I think it should've been overturned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...on_terms_2.jsp

It says here that the umps shall immediately declare the infield fly. When the ump called the infield fly the ball was a split second away from hitting the ground. The window to call the infield fly has already passed, so the rulebook was not applied correctly in this situation.

And honestly, the whole situation could've been avoided if the 6 umps got together and agreed it was the wrong call and changed it. But that never happens, and that's another reason I will always hate human officials. Their egos are more important in a crucial game like this then getting the call right.
No, it says the umpire should signal for an infield fly when it seems apparent that the batted ball will become one. If "ordinary effort" is required to determine an infield fly, and ordinary effort can't be immediately determined, then an infield fly (in this instance) could not be immediately determined. The call could have been made earlier, but not immediately.

Either way, signaling a call late doesn't make the call invalid. There's not really a "window" that passes on the call.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:14 AM
  #124
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15
 
NyRangers88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Stay classy, Atlanta fans

__________________
2013-2014 Eastern Conference Champions!!
NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2012, 11:06 PM
  #125
30theking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
ichirio and sabathia with big games. finally getting some runs in the ninth starting with martin's hr.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.