HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 500
Let's go rangers!

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:52 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Is anyone watching this game right now?

Infield fly? What a terrible call, one of the worst I've ever seen in a baseball game.

EDIT - Braves fans showering the field with garbage right now.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

So, how is a popup to the outfield that's dropped called as infield fly rule?

It wasn't in the INFIELD, how was it an INFIELD fly rule?

I'm not surprised fans threw their bottles on the field.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
So, how is a popup to the outfield that's dropped called as infield fly rule?

It wasn't in the INFIELD, how was it an INFIELD fly rule?

I'm not surprised fans threw their bottles on the field.
Can the umpire crew not over turn an infield fly rule call? Because there's 5 other guys out there, somebody do the right thing.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:00 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

It obviously was a terrible call but the fans throwing bottles on the field is a joke.

10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Can the umpire crew not over turn an infield fly rule call? Because there's 5 other guys out there, somebody do the right thing.
They can discuss it and overturn it, but they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
It obviously was a terrible call but the fans throwing bottles on the field is a joke.
If it was a regular season game.. sure, but this is a 1 game playoff for who gets to go to the postseason. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell to have your season end like this.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
They can discuss it and overturn it, but they won't.

If it was a regular season game.. sure, but this is a 1 game playoff for who gets to go to the postseason. I'm sure it's frustrating as hell to have your season end like this.
There's still plenty of time in the game and its a waste of everyone's time. I'd be mad as hell to but never to the point where I'd throw stuff on the field.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
mrjimmyg89
16 wins to go

**** the Braves and their classless POS fans. They deserve to lose after that kind of a performance. All the **** they put the Mets fans through all these years, the last 2 years of the Braves being good then collapsing, and now blowing it in the 1 game playoff. This is for all the calls they got in their 15 year division run. Karma is a *****.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't understand how a ball that lands behind an infielder who is 11 strides onto the outfield grass can be considered an infield fly.

10-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Well, this was a real great start to the new structure. First ever wild card game, and there's a ridiculous blown call and a long delay due to trash being thrown on the field.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Infield fly. Lol.

10-05-2012, 07:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
An infield fly is supposed to be called when the infielder can catch the ball with an "ordinary effort." That's what the rulebook states. It has nothing to do with the ball actually falling in the infield or outfield. It was a routine play for the SS, calling an infield fly on that play is not as insane as you guys are making it out to be.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
An infield fly is supposed to be called when the infielder can catch the ball with an "ordinary effort." That's what the rulebook states. It has nothing to do with the ball actually falling in the infield or outfield. It was a routine play for the SS, calling an infield fly on that play is not as insane as you guys are making it out to be.
Infield fly rule is supposed to be called immediately, not a split second before the ball drops.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:58 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It has to be called immediately. It wasn't. I would argue that going 11 strides into the OF isn't routine. The SS was not under the ball waiting for it to come down. 3 pretty big flubs.

I also think the SS thinking he's being called off by the LF can of makes no longer an infield fly.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:13 PM
ecemleafs

an infield fly rule is there to prevent a double play by dropping the ball. their wasnt a chance in hell they were turning a double play by dropping the ball and throwwing to 3rd and then 2nd.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Infield fly rule is supposed to be called immediately, not a split second before the ball drops.
It should have been called immediately, you're right.

It's just pain.
Old
10-05-2012, 08:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It has to be called immediately. It wasn't. I would argue that going 11 strides into the OF isn't routine. The SS was not under the ball waiting for it to come down. 3 pretty big flubs.

I also think the SS thinking he's being called off by the LF can of makes no longer an infield fly.
He was underneath it. He pulled off at the last moment, but he was completely underneath of it with minimal effort. There's not a professional SS out there that would call that anything other than routine.

I don't think it was the RIGHT call, but with a literal and rigid interpretation of the rules, it's not really incorrect.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
30theking

The infield fly rule is considered a judgment call, which means that the judgment of the umpire must govern. It also states that the rule is to be called immediately and is solely based on the umpire's discretion. Since different umpires may have different definitions of "ordinary effort", the rule may be implemented differently depending on the umpire.

So what it all really comes down to is what umpire is making the call, and if you watch baseball alot you know certain umpires have their own set of rules that they go by.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Lets go Yankees

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I have no problem with the SS going to the outfield, but I am pretty confused on why the baseline ump called it infield fly that last second.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:41 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Happy to see the O's get in (or advance depending on how you view this wild card game.) AL side of things is extremely interesting between the Yanks being in it even though I'm a Met fan and the O's and A's story.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
The infield fly rule is considered a judgment call, which means that the judgment of the umpire must govern. It also states that the rule is to be called immediately and is solely based on the umpire's discretion. Since different umpires may have different definitions of "ordinary effort", the rule may be implemented differently depending on the umpire.

So what it all really comes down to is what umpire is making the call, and if you watch baseball alot you know certain umpires have their own set of rules that they go by.
Personally I think the protest should've overturned the call.

The call on the field was pretty blatantly wrong, but that's not why I think it should've been overturned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...on_terms_2.jsp

It says here that the umps shall immediately declare the infield fly. When the ump called the infield fly the ball was a split second away from hitting the ground. The window to call the infield fly has already passed, so the rulebook was not applied correctly in this situation.

And honestly, the whole situation could've been avoided if the 6 umps got together and agreed it was the wrong call and changed it. But that never happens, and that's another reason I will always hate human officials. Their egos are more important in a crucial game like this then getting the call right.

Old
10-06-2012, 07:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Personally I think the protest should've overturned the call.

The call on the field was pretty blatantly wrong, but that's not why I think it should've been overturned.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...on_terms_2.jsp

It says here that the umps shall immediately declare the infield fly. When the ump called the infield fly the ball was a split second away from hitting the ground. The window to call the infield fly has already passed, so the rulebook was not applied correctly in this situation.

And honestly, the whole situation could've been avoided if the 6 umps got together and agreed it was the wrong call and changed it. But that never happens, and that's another reason I will always hate human officials. Their egos are more important in a crucial game like this then getting the call right.
No, it says the umpire should signal for an infield fly when it seems apparent that the batted ball will become one. If "ordinary effort" is required to determine an infield fly, and ordinary effort can't be immediately determined, then an infield fly (in this instance) could not be immediately determined. The call could have been made earlier, but not immediately.

Either way, signaling a call late doesn't make the call invalid. There's not really a "window" that passes on the call.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:14 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Stay classy, Atlanta fans

10-07-2012, 11:06 PM
30theking

ichirio and sabathia with big games. finally getting some runs in the ninth starting with martin's hr.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote