HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 12:39 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Haven't heard a lot of speculation, but i have heard some and had my suspicions as well. So you are not alone.

There was some drama over there when he was rumored to go to his hometown team, but then he signed an extension contract with Frolunda. I am not sure if it was google translate, but i read an interview/article and it didn't seem like the Canucks or NA was a major option when he signed the contract. I think he talked about really liking Frolunda a lot, would really like to stay there and very briefly mentioned talking to the Canucks, but that we were not in touch very often. That is my loose memory on the article.

But brightside is that his contract is only for one more year. If he extends, thats when i start worrying.
I remember, also vaguely, the interview you are referring to. As I recall, my impression at the time was that he wanted to play in Sweden, get stronger, and then come to the Canucks. I believe it's a common bit of advice in Sweden that it's better to come over here "a little too late than a little too early." I'm using quotes because I read this advice by a Swedish NHL player, or former player, quite recently, but damned if I can remember the source.

As I recall, he didn't want to transfer to his home team because he liked Frolunda, just as you said. But there was no sense of nixing the Canucks at all. Possibly a sense of getting up to NHL form while in Sweden, to avoid or shorten any time in the AHL. (Side comment: yeah, sure.) But I was left with the impression that the NHL was definitely in his plans, down the road.

The same or another article mentioned him being in a class with Rundblad and another well-known young Swede D, at the top of their age group in point production from the blue line. Virtually all of those top guys make their way to North America: it's what they do. It means status both at home and abroad, as well as money. If his peers make the move, he will too. And what team could be more Swede-friendly than Vancouver?

Old
10-05-2012, 02:49 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
I remember, also vaguely, the interview you are referring to. As I recall, my impression at the time was that he wanted to play in Sweden, get stronger, and then come to the Canucks. I believe it's a common bit of advice in Sweden that it's better to come over here "a little too late than a little too early." I'm using quotes because I read this advice by a Swedish NHL player, or former player, quite recently, but damned if I can remember the source.

As I recall, he didn't want to transfer to his home team because he liked Frolunda, just as you said. But there was no sense of nixing the Canucks at all. Possibly a sense of getting up to NHL form while in Sweden, to avoid or shorten any time in the AHL. (Side comment: yeah, sure.) But I was left with the impression that the NHL was definitely in his plans, down the road.

The same or another article mentioned him being in a class with Rundblad and another well-known young Swede D, at the top of their age group in point production from the blue line. Virtually all of those top guys make their way to North America: it's what they do. It means status both at home and abroad, as well as money. If his peers make the move, he will too. And what team could be more Swede-friendly than Vancouver?
Well as i mentioned, i got the sense that the Canucks and playing in NA at the time of his contract extension was not an option. I distinctly remember google translated his comment to something along the lines of very limited contact from the Canucks, like he hadn't heard from them in a while, which i thought was odd. But thats not to say the Canucks or the NHL are never going to be an option in the future. In another article, his agent was optimistic about going to the NHL next season, for what its worth.

I don't remember anything in the article about coming over to play in the NHL or the NHL in general. From what i recall, the questions were more directed regarding Farjestad being interested in him. I got the impression he really wanted to stay in Frolunda at least for another year, which is why he signed the extension, and the possibility of moving elsewhere (whether this be another city in Sweden or elsewhere) was somewhat of a big change at the time.

Some swedes just like to stay in Sweden. Soderberg is the most prominent example. But it is extremely rare, i'd have to agree. The other D you are looking for is Mattias Ekholm who did come over, but went back on loan to Brynas last season, now he is back again. We did get more swede friendly with Andersson too.

I'm optimistic he will come over next year, so i am not all that concerned. It's just something you keep in the back of your mind.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
ahmon

Something tells me Corrado will be playing for the canucks in the future as a top 4 dman.

The kid seems to develop really rapidly. His skating was always exceptional, his shot is becoming a laser, and more importantly his decision making looks to be improving.

And he even has a bit of an edge and will not back down.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Wisp

With the way our right-side depth is looking at the moment, he might be playing in our top six sooner than you think.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
Something tells me Corrado will be playing for the canucks in the future as a top 4 dman.

The kid seems to develop really rapidly. His skating was always exceptional, his shot is becoming a laser, and more importantly his decision making looks to be improving.

And he even has a bit of an edge and will not back down.
I agree. I like him over all our other D prospects right now.

Someone on HF made a comparison to Sami Salo(hopefully without the injuries), that would be a very nice turnout for him.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I agree. I like him over all our other D prospects right now.

Someone on HF made a comparison to Sami Salo(hopefully without the injuries), that would be a very nice turnout for him.
Haha that was me who compared him to Salo! I think he'll be a very good dman for us!

Old
10-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Haha that was me who compared him to Salo! I think he'll be a very good dman for us!
If we're talking Canuck defensemen, I see him as more of an Ehrhoff than a Salo. I haven't seen a ton of him, but ya.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:37 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
If we're talking Canuck defensemen, I see him as more of an Ehrhoff than a Salo. I haven't seen a ton of him, but ya.
Completely agree. Salo doesn't have the puck rushing element Corrado has. It's a very unique skill.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:58 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Completely agree. Salo doesn't have the puck rushing element Corrado has. It's a very unique skill.
The last game i saw, i think he did a little bit of both. He showed some Erhoff's puck moving style as well as Salo's smart and positioning defence

Old
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
If any of you guys read my post, I had said Salo, or a mix of Hamhuis or Bieksa. I chose Salo because he has that offensive knack but is great defensively also. Corrado's a one of a kind, like Tanev.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:09 PM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
The last game i saw, i think he did a little bit of both. He showed some Erhoff's puck moving style as well as Salo's smart and positioning defence
Generally when I compare players, I do so comparing the major trait. While I do agree Corrado has great smarts and solid positioning, his major attribute is his puck moving ability, which resembles Ehrhoff.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:05 AM
MS

Quote:
Generally when I compare players, I do so comparing the major trait. While I do agree Corrado has great smarts and solid positioning, his major attribute is his puck moving ability, which resembles Ehrhoff.
Don't see it.

Corrado's major attribute is his hockey sense and defensive positioning, coupled with excellent footwork and mobility. The way he thinks the game and - in particular - how he reacts to unexpected or high pressure situations is already almost NHL calibre, and stood out immediately both in the 2011 NHL preseason and the 2012 AHL playoffs.

He's never going to be an offensive point producer. 26 points in the OHL last year.

Similar to Hamhuis, he's an average-sized guy with nice skills for a defender, but doesn't use those skills in an offensive/gamebreaking type way, and instead focuses primarily on defensive play.

Ehrhoff is a gamebreaking high-risk offensive defender who is soft-ish in his own zone and has occasional defensive issues. Corrado will basically be 100% the opposite of that.

He's our best defensive prospect and I wouldn't have been shocked if he'd pushed for an NHL roster spot out of camp this season, based on how he looked in the AHL at the end of last year.

As a raw 18 y/o AHL rookie playing his first few games at that level, he looked immediately more comfortable with the pace of play at that level than Connauton and Sauve looked after 2 full seasons.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Tim Calhoun
Genius

vCash: 325
In the games I watched in the prospect games in 2011, I thought Corrado looked liked he had some great offensive tools and confidence to jump up in the play, not to mention his very hard shot. Very surprised he's had such low point totals in the OHL.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
If any of you guys read my post, I had said Salo, or a mix of Hamhuis or Bieksa. I chose Salo because he has that offensive knack but is great defensively also. Corrado's a one of a kind, like Tanev.
Exactly. Tanev is a going to be another Hamhuis, Connauton a Bieksa. Corrado a mix of the two. Kassian Bertuzzi, Jensen Naslund, Gaunce Linden. The cycle repeats.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Don't see it.

Corrado's major attribute is his hockey sense and defensive positioning, coupled with excellent footwork and mobility. The way he thinks the game and - in particular - how he reacts to unexpected or high pressure situations is already almost NHL calibre, and stood out immediately both in the 2011 NHL preseason and the 2012 AHL playoffs.

He's never going to be an offensive point producer. 26 points in the OHL last year.

Similar to Hamhuis, he's an average-sized guy with nice skills for a defender, but doesn't use those skills in an offensive/gamebreaking type way, and instead focuses primarily on defensive play.

Ehrhoff is a gamebreaking high-risk offensive defender who is soft-ish in his own zone and has occasional defensive issues. Corrado will basically be 100% the opposite of that.

He's our best defensive prospect and I wouldn't have been shocked if he'd pushed for an NHL roster spot out of camp this season, based on how he looked in the AHL at the end of last year.

As a raw 18 y/o AHL rookie playing his first few games at that level, he looked immediately more comfortable with the pace of play at that level than Connauton and Sauve looked after 2 full seasons.
That, I agree with. I think by this time, if he was to become a puck moving OFD, he would've needed to post just a clip under PPG in the juniors. Most of the premier OFDs in the league are PPG years before they make the jump.

As of now, his offensive ceiling is probably a PP trigger man who can jump in and take shots at EV as well - at most, like a Weber offensively.

Couldn't ask for more from someone picked as late as him.

Our only real hope at a PMD is probably McNally at this point.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:27 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
MS really did explain it best.

There is absolutely nothing in Corrado's play that reminds me of Ehrhoff. If we go by your methodology of using a player's major attribute, then Garrison and MA Bergeron are comparables when that simply is not the case. You need to take into account the overall play of each player, not just one trait.

Feeling like a broken record here everytime this is brought up, but Corrado is a Tanev clone with the personality of a Bieksa on and off the ice. The strengths of both are their hockey sense and how they use it to defend and move the puck. Both suffer from a lack of strength due to their slender frames (although, i'd say from pictures Corrado added some muscle this year and looks to be bigger than Tanev at this point). They do not play a physical game, both have solid positioning. Both are smooth skaters, who have a very good first pass and neither are puck rushers like Ehrhoff was. Both are never going to be PP guys. When i watch Corrado, I don't see a guy you will use on your 1st PP at the NHL level, same with Tanev. Both lack the offensive creativity to truly excel in that position.

Where they differ is their shot. Corrado has a fast and hard shot, but it is not very accurate. Tanev's shot is weaker and he is hesitant to use it (maybe that will change this year). Also, Corrado has a bit of an attitude, in that he will chirp you the F out, and he will try to get you off your game. Whereas Tanev, i'd be surprised if he said a word during a shift or on the bench. Corrado plays feisty in that he likes to throw checks, but lacks the strength to make that impact a lasting one. Whereas Tanev would not initiate that contact the majority of the time.

I too have argued for him to be our top rated prospect D man and still do not understand why Connauton is ahead of him in our polls. But it is what it is.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:51 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Going completely off-topic, a google search for Corrado turns up a movie in which 2 of the characters are called, funnily enough, Frankie and Corrado.

... Man this lockout needs to end.

Old
10-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
MS really did explain it best.

There is absolutely nothing in Corrado's play that reminds me of Ehrhoff. If we go by your methodology of using a player's major attribute, then Garrison and MA Bergeron are comparables when that simply is not the case. You need to take into account the overall play of each player, not just one trait.

Feeling like a broken record here everytime this is brought up, but Corrado is a Tanev clone with the personality of a Bieksa on and off the ice. The strengths of both are their hockey sense and how they use it to defend and move the puck. Both suffer from a lack of strength due to their slender frames (although, i'd say from pictures Corrado added some muscle this year and looks to be bigger than Tanev at this point). They do not play a physical game, both have solid positioning. Both are smooth skaters, who have a very good first pass and neither are puck rushers like Ehrhoff was. Both are never going to be PP guys. When i watch Corrado, I don't see a guy you will use on your 1st PP at the NHL level, same with Tanev. Both lack the offensive creativity to truly excel in that position.

Where they differ is their shot. Corrado has a fast and hard shot, but it is not very accurate. Tanev's shot is weaker and he is hesitant to use it (maybe that will change this year). Also, Corrado has a bit of an attitude, in that he will chirp you the F out, and he will try to get you off your game. Whereas Tanev, i'd be surprised if he said a word during a shift or on the bench. Corrado plays feisty in that he likes to throw checks, but lacks the strength to make that impact a lasting one. Whereas Tanev would not initiate that contact the majority of the time.

I too have argued for him to be our top rated prospect D man and still do not understand why Connauton is ahead of him in our polls. But it is what it is.
Uninformed opinions, really. This is not to say I closely follow every Canucks prospects out there, but at least I do a bit of research before forming some kind of opinion.

At this moment, Corrado and McNally should be our top defensive prospects.

Old
10-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Exactly. Tanev is a going to be another Hamhuis, Connauton a Bieksa. Corrado a mix of the two. Kassian Bertuzzi, Jensen Naslund, Gaunce Linden. The cycle repeats.
This made me laugh. They're going to be their own players. Tanev is pretty unique in that nobody really fits the bill.

One thing that's interesting with all our top defensive prospects is that they're all helluva skaters. Connauton intrigues the hell out of me and I'm eager to see what sort of step he takes this year.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Jevo

Yet another goal for Jensen today. The game is still going on and is halfway through the 3rd period.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Yet another goal for Jensen today. The game is still going on and is halfway through the 3rd period.
Was that his 5th goal or 4th? Cause if it was his fifth, that would put him second in goal scoring in the SEL. (More GP than everyone else in the top 10, but still impressive)

Edit: Just checked SEL stats page, it was his fifth goal. http://estat.hockeyligan.se/c/LPlaye...&PlayerId=4937

Old
10-06-2012, 12:18 PM
keslerburrows

Really impressed with Jensen thus far. 5 goals already is awesome.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
That, I agree with. I think by this time, if he was to become a puck moving OFD, he would've needed to post just a clip under PPG in the juniors. Most of the premier OFDs in the league are PPG years before they make the jump.

As of now, his offensive ceiling is probably a PP trigger man who can jump in and take shots at EV as well - at most, like a Weber offensively.

Couldn't ask for more from someone picked as late as him.

Our only real hope at a PMD is probably McNally at this point.
This.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Elbows of Bure

On Jensen's goal. If you watch the highlights on the elitserien website, he almost had another minutes or two before. The puck beat the goalie, but dribbled towards the line. The goal itself was a good snipe.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
On Jensen's goal. If you watch the highlights on the elitserien website, he almost had another minutes or two before. The puck beat the goalie, but dribbled towards the line. The goal itself was a good snipe.
I'm pretty excited for him. He could probably be our best sniper excluding Daniel. Is there any chance he makes the team in a partial season? Or does he have to play out his term in Sweden?

Either way, I'm fine with it, although it would be nice to have him on our team for the playoffs.

Closed Thread