HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2012, 10:30 PM
  #76
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,836
vCash: 500
6 feet and 1/2 inches guys. Too tired to photobucket image.

http://www.theprovince.com/6821728.bin

Interactif is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
  #77
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,313
vCash: 500
At the combine he was officially measured at 6'0.5", 199.8 lbs, which was about a month or so after his 18th birthday. If he's list at 6'1", 205 lbs now, it could be a slight exaggeration, but only slight. He does play a finesse game though, not someone who comes off as big and strong, even though he does have solid size/strength.

ponder is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 10:36 PM
  #78
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
He really doesn't look that big. But i guess that is what he is at. I was guessing more along the lines of 5'11 180lb.

Drew311 is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
  #79
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
6 feet and 1/2 inches guys. Too tired to photobucket image.

http://www.theprovince.com/6821728.bin
Look at that double chin!!! What's his body fat percentage???

Drew311 is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 10:47 PM
  #80
IBeL13f
Registered User
 
IBeL13f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Look at that double chin!!! What's his body fat percentage???
This must be his shape up or ship out year

IBeL13f is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 11:23 PM
  #81
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
This must be his shape up or ship out year
this made me giggle and now my wife is mad I won't share the joke.

smoke meat pete* is offline  
Old
10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
  #82
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
In front of Burke, too.
Probably the only reason he faught

Leafs87 is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 12:09 AM
  #83
Brody
Brooklyn ✔
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Wales
Posts: 6,956
vCash: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Probably the only reason he faught
Or maybe ya know.. cause he was jumped?

Brody is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 12:38 AM
  #84
Sundinisagod
the best
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
The thing about Rielly is he's a serious physical specimen on top of being such a great skater with an elite skill level. Kid is a great athlete and very strong.

Rielly, Gardiner and Phaneuf in our top 4 is going to be pretty sweet if the two kids hit their upside.
Gunner in the #4 slot, hopefully with Finn and Blacker rounding out the top 6...

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 12:52 AM
  #85
Slapshot17
Registered User
 
Slapshot17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Prince George
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Gunner in the #4 slot, hopefully with Finn and Blacker rounding out the top 6...
I think Stuart Percy may be in the mix too.

Slapshot17 is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 02:37 AM
  #86
Sundinisagod
the best
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
I think Stuart Percy may be in the mix too.
Yeah I did forget about him...he's most def right in the mix with Finn and Blacker...

I didn't expect the Leafs to draft Rielly because I thought he was too similar to Gardiner, expected Burke to go with the truculant Dumba...somebody pointed out that drafting another Jake or even possibly better version made sense, as this style of defender is the most dominant in the current NHL...

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 03:08 AM
  #87
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,553
vCash: 500
Good on him for standing up.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 03:09 AM
  #88
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 69,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Look at that double chin!!! What's his body fat percentage???
LMFAO gold!

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 06:11 AM
  #89
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Yeah I did forget about him...he's most def right in the mix with Finn and Blacker...

I didn't expect the Leafs to draft Rielly because I thought he was too similar to Gardiner, expected Burke to go with the truculant Dumba...somebody pointed out that drafting another Jake or even possibly better version made sense, as this style of defender is the most dominant in the current NHL...
You always hope they all pan out but I think Rielly, Finn, Percy are for sure, maybe not all with the leafs and for some reason I dont see Dion sticking around long term.

thewave is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 08:43 AM
  #90
Sundinisagod
the best
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
You always hope they all pan out but I think Rielly, Finn, Percy are for sure, maybe not all with the leafs and for some reason I dont see Dion sticking around long term.
I'm in the same boat as well. They way I see things, through my now cynical point of view, is that the Leafs will conitnue to suck, and Dion will be the whipping boy since he's captain and highest paid on the team...he will bolt for free agency in a couple years or Burke may trade him if he's unwilling to re-sign. Realistically speaking, he could find a much better situation for himself imho. This is all assuming the team doesn't turn things around...

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 09:12 AM
  #91
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Yeah I did forget about him...he's most def right in the mix with Finn and Blacker...

I didn't expect the Leafs to draft Rielly because I thought he was too similar to Gardiner, expected Burke to go with the truculant Dumba...somebody pointed out that drafting another Jake or even possibly better version made sense, as this style of defender is the most dominant in the current NHL...
I would have been happy if the Leafs drafted Dumba, but now looking back I am very happy Rielly slipped past the Habs and Isles. After Morgan's Can-Rus series, he brings a little more elite hockey smarts than what Reinhart or Galchenyuk show. Think we really got lucky and Burke was sincere when he said Rielly was his number 1. Right now, I would have to agree, I would take Rielly over Murray and Yakupov also. That's not hyperbole or being a homer, it is simply the truth.

I am most happy the Habs took Gally, should be a great rivalry, but reports on his play have not been too impressive since the summer US camp. I hope to catch him play live so I can judge for myself.

Interactif is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 09:27 AM
  #92
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'm in the same boat as well. They way I see things, through my now cynical point of view, is that the Leafs will conitnue to suck, and Dion will be the whipping boy since he's captain and highest paid on the team...he will bolt for free agency in a couple years or Burke may trade him if he's unwilling to re-sign. Realistically speaking, he could find a much better situation for himself imho. This is all assuming the team doesn't turn things around...
I have to disagree here, I think Dion will be invaluable to Matt, Morgan and Stu down the line. The guy I think might be dangled is Jake perhaps one day, but that is way down the line.

Dion, Rielly, Finn, and Percy could be one of the better top 4 combos in the near future.

Dion has not had much support here during his time, and he really has not played badly. Playing run and scramble with Komi, Lebda, Schenn, Kaberle, Liles for support couldn't have been easy. He could be a monster again with one of Percy, Finn, or Reilly. Having a vet is invaluable.

Interactif is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 09:31 AM
  #93
Sundinisagod
the best
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I would have been happy if the Leafs drafted Dumba, but now looking back I am very happy Rielly slipped past the Habs and Isles. After Morgan's Can-Rus series, he brings a little more elite hockey smarts than what Reinhart or Galchenyuk show. Think we really got lucky and Burke was sincere when he said Rielly was his number 1. Right now, I would have to agree, I would take Rielly over Murray and Yakupov also. That's not hyperbole or being a homer, it is simply the truth.

I am most happy the Habs took Gally, should be a great rivalry, but reports on his play have not been too impressive since the summer US camp. I hope to catch him play live so I can judge for myself.

I can't say I'd have passed on Yakupov or Galchenyuk...Rielly I like as much as anybody after those two comrades, certainly more than Reinhart and Murray.

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 09:38 AM
  #94
Interactif
Meet The New Boss
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I can't say I'd have passed on Yakupov or Galchenyuk...Rielly I like as much as anybody after those two comrades, certainly more than Reinhart and Murray.
Very unsold on Gally at this point, to clarify he has all the talent to make people drool, but his end results are not there yet. Yakupov has come back to the pack by last summer. Early B day too, Morgan later B day and missed almost a year. Could be close when all is said and done when both hit their peaks.

The comrade I like is Valery Nichushkin, was really impressed by him in that under 18 or 17, all I remember was Button was an analyst and I saw this big comrade power skate past defenders. Like him, more than Gally or Yaks. Peg him for one I am keeping an eye on next draft.

Interactif is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 09:56 AM
  #95
Pierre Gotye
Registered User
 
Pierre Gotye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 4,007
vCash: 500
I don't see what everyone's fascination with size is.

Personally I think guys who are 5'10ish to 6'2(max) are usually the best skaters and players.

I am 6'7...not a great hockey player, but I am exceptionally clumsy.

There are rare exceptions to the rules...like Tyler Myers...but he had an awful season last year.

Guys who are bigger tend to be less mobile, take more time to make cuts and turns, and don't neccessarily have better overall puck skills...shooting and passing than guys who have lower centers of gravity.

I think Rielly will be just fine. I don't see him as a defensive juggernaut, but he is certainly more mobile and will certainly be more noticeable than Luke Schenn was. Schenn has one developed skill, he's big, but not very mobile, and not good with the puck.

Most HHOF defenseman are guys who are in the 5'10-6-2ish mold. Whether you start with Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, Borque...etc.

Not saying Rielly will be a HHOFer...but I am saying he has ideal hockey size.

Pierre Gotye is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 10:27 AM
  #96
Sundinisagod
the best
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I have to disagree here, I think Dion will be invaluable to Matt, Morgan and Stu down the line. The guy I think might be dangled is Jake perhaps one day, but that is way down the line.

Dion, Rielly, Finn, and Percy could be one of the better top 4 combos in the near future.

Dion has not had much support here during his time, and he really has not played badly. Playing run and scramble with Komi, Lebda, Schenn, Kaberle, Liles for support couldn't have been easy. He could be a monster again with one of Percy, Finn, or Reilly. Having a vet is invaluable.
I am not suggesting that we should get rid of Dion, I'm saying he may want to ditch us if things don't go well in the next two seasons. Like you said he gets no respect here,I see him exploring free agency which would likely force Burke's hand, same for Kessel. This is prolly why I thought Burke would draft Dumba, he could replace some what Dion brings to the table, if he ever left.

Sundinisagod is online now  
Old
10-06-2012, 10:59 AM
  #97
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post
I don't see what everyone's fascination with size is.

Personally I think guys who are 5'10ish to 6'2(max) are usually the best skaters and players.

I am 6'7...not a great hockey player, but I am exceptionally clumsy.

There are rare exceptions to the rules...like Tyler Myers...but he had an awful season last year.

Guys who are bigger tend to be less mobile, take more time to make cuts and turns, and don't neccessarily have better overall puck skills...shooting and passing than guys who have lower centers of gravity.

I think Rielly will be just fine. I don't see him as a defensive juggernaut, but he is certainly more mobile and will certainly be more noticeable than Luke Schenn was. Schenn has one developed skill, he's big, but not very mobile, and not good with the puck.

Most HHOF defenseman are guys who are in the 5'10-6-2ish mold. Whether you start with Orr, Coffey, Lidstrom, Borque...etc.

Not saying Rielly will be a HHOFer...but I am saying he has ideal hockey size.
I don't get people's fascination with height and how they figure it equates to tough? To me , seeing Reilly finish top 10 in grip, bench press and pull strength says a lot. If you were to get in a ring with someone with those three characteristics, there's a good chance that once he gets hold of you, he can rag doll you. I know that isn't his game but given he is seen more as an offensive dynamo, those other traits bode well for him.

eyeball11 is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 11:04 AM
  #98
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
I think Stuart Percy may be in the mix too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Yeah I did forget about him...he's most def right in the mix with Finn and Blacker...

I didn't expect the Leafs to draft Rielly because I thought he was too similar to Gardiner, expected Burke to go with the truculant Dumba...somebody pointed out that drafting another Jake or even possibly better version made sense, as this style of defender is the most dominant in the current NHL...
You know they drafted more than North Americans, even drafted guys who were good enough to be on the best WJC team.

__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Keon

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
  #99
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,144
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I can't say I'd have passed on Yakupov or Galchenyuk...Rielly I like as much as anybody after those two comrades, certainly more than Reinhart and Murray.
At the draft I was hoping we'd pick Forsberg. Now I would take Rielly over anyone other than Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk.

Murray would be the perfect partner for Phaneuf, that pairing would dominate.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline  
Old
10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
  #100
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
At the draft I was hoping we'd pick Forsberg. Now I would take Rielly over anyone other than Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk.

Murray would be the perfect partner for Phaneuf, that pairing would dominate.
If the Leafs weren't picking a centerman, Rielly was my choice.

Hard to say this early if they made the right choice.

If we are this excited about Biggs/Rielly 6 games in, wouldn't we be excited about Grigorenko?

By far the Leafs weakest position is down the middle in all levels.

ULF_55 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.