HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 10:20 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
RS, just wanted to follow up what Zandar said and thank you for posting. That article certainly seemed to slam Duncan pretty hard but sometimes kids need that too.

It's obvious Duncan needs to mature a bit if he's missing team meetings but still but geesh who doesn't at 17/18? I'd say that how he handles this whole situation moving forward will speak more about what we can expect from him in the future than how he lost the "C" does. Not giving him a free pass on missing meetings or anything but just saying how he handles the situation now will speak volumes about how he handles adversity. Sounds like he's off to a good start there.

Old
10-05-2012, 10:05 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
RS, just wanted to follow up what Zandar said and thank you for posting. That article certainly seemed to slam Duncan pretty hard but sometimes kids need that too.

It's obvious Duncan needs to mature a bit if he's missing team meetings but still but geesh who doesn't at 17/18? I'd say that how he handles this whole situation moving forward will speak more about what we can expect from him in the future than how he lost the "C" does. Not giving him a free pass on missing meetings or anything but just saying how he handles the situation now will speak volumes about how he handles adversity. Sounds like he's off to a good start there.
I agree that these kids need tough love. Many kids at this level have massive ego's. Duncan isn't one of those kids.

And I wouldn't consider that article to be a form of 'tough love'...it's an opinion piece from a writer who thinks he knows what's going on inside the room and he missed the mark.

Either way, yes, Duncan is dealing with it very well so far.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Foppa2118

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what the big deal is with that article. Or maybe it was edited from the original one, but a bunch of teenagers getting worked up over an article like that sounds like they're showing their age a bit. I see more off base opinion creep into pretty much every article on the Post's website.

I don't even see much opinion in it. "Walker taking the “C” away from Siemens seemed like a big problem initially" That may be poorly written, but anyone without bias would read that as Walker replacing Siemens, not that he took the C from him. Is it really that shocking for a reporter to imply stripping the C from a player could be a distraction. How could it not be a distraction. It may not be a huge one, and it may not be one at all anymore, but saying it's not a distraction is just downplaying the whole thing.

I don't know if this situation is bad, or just a hiccup from a young kid, but there sure are lots of excuses being flung around. Unless this part was incorrect, I'd say the fact Sutter chose four other players for the A instead of Siemens is a bit more concerning than the team wanting to demote him.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 10-05-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Sounds like Molleken only managed to turn the heat up on himself at the worst possible time. If the Blades miss out on the Memorial Cup this year of all years, no doubt he's finished.

Far as DS goes, I suppose these bumps and bruises will only help him get ready for the NHL. But it sure seems like a raw deal for a good kid from my perspective.

Old
10-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Foppa2118

I've always got the impression Siemens is one of the few players that may have that pure Adam Foote no nonsense mentality. The kind of guy that's a SOB to play against, and at times can be a bit of an SOB with his teammates because he won't hesitate to call them out. That may or may not be the case, but if it is, perhaps it was just him being that guy in a tough losing season, which caused some friction with certain teammates kinda like TPS alluded to with Foote and Stewart before he was traded. Plus a couple young mistakes like missing meetings, which it sounds like he has learned from.

I just hope it ends there. Like I mentioned before, Sutter giving an A to four guys ahead of him is more worrisome than the team taking away the C. If Sutter is acknowledged as a great choice for captain, I wouldn't think he'd let any personal issues influence his decision on giving an A to Siemens but who knows. Then again maybe it's just something as simple as Siemens asking not to be given an A. Doesn't look that good though that's for sure, and it shouldn't be a shock that an article came out stating such.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:23 AM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I've always got the impression Siemens is one of the few players that may have that pure Adam Foote no nonsense mentality. The kind of guy that's a SOB to play against, and at times can be a bit of an SOB with his teammates because he won't hesitate to call them out. That may or may not be the case, but if it is, perhaps it was just him being that guy in a tough losing season, which caused some friction with certain teammates kinda like TPS alluded to with Foote and Stewart before he was traded. Plus a couple young mistakes like missing meetings, which it sounds like he has learned from.

I just hope it ends there. Like I mentioned before, Sutter giving an A to four guys ahead of him is more worrisome than the team taking away the C. If Sutter is acknowledged as a great choice for captain, I wouldn't think he'd let any personal issues influence his decision on giving an A to Siemens but who knows. Then again maybe it's just something as simple as Siemens asking not to be given an A. Doesn't look that good though that's for sure, and it shouldn't be a shock that an article came out stating such.
Didnt DS publicly say something about Elliot not being strong enough for the pros after he (Siemens) got cut? It was something like that which always struck me as kind of a jerkface thing in the media for all to see ,even if its true.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Didnt DS publicly say something about Elliot not being strong enough for the pros after he (Siemens) got cut? It was something like that which always struck me as kind of a jerkface thing in the media for all to see ,even if its true.
He also declined the A that season in Elliott's favour, because he felt Stef deserved it more.

All this talk about him being stripped of the C brings only one sentence to my mind: ''Holy overreaction Batman''.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
He also declined the A that season in Elliott's favour, because he felt Stef deserved it more.

All this talk about him being stripped of the C brings only one sentence to my mind: ''Holy overreaction Batman''.
I don't have a strong notion of what this situation could imply, but just out of curiosity, since you think it's nothing at all, what do you make of his teammate and new captain Sutter not wanting to give the former captain an A, and choosing four guys ahead of him for that?

To me, the reaction I see on the other side of things is holy downplay the whole thing batman. It doesn't mean Duncan is a horrible person or teammate, but it shouldn't surprise people if this raises a few eyebrows. This kind of situation doesn't happen all that often. Even if there are many other factors besides Duncan's actions.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I don't think it's nothing at all, but some of you are trying to read into this way too much. Duncan showed in the past that he can be a class act with the way he acted when Stef returned to the Blades after he got cut by the Avs.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I don't think it's nothing at all, but some of you are trying to read into this way too much. Duncan showed in the past that he can be a class act with the way he acted when Stef returned to the Blades after he got cut by the Avs.
He did show a lack of ego in that move to give Elliott the letter when he came back.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:32 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
No idea what you are talking about with this.

Old
10-06-2012, 04:43 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I agree that these kids need tough love. Many kids at this level have massive ego's. Duncan isn't one of those kids.

And I wouldn't consider that article to be a form of 'tough love'...it's an opinion piece from a writer who thinks he knows what's going on inside the room and he missed the mark.

Either way, yes, Duncan is dealing with it very well so far.
Hey RS...just out of curiosity, do you know the guy that wrote the article? You seemed to be pretty defensive on it and while coming to Duncan's defense, you really haven't addressed the concerns about a kid missing meeting multiple times.

I believe you when I say, I think Duncan didn't/doesn't have a massive ego...but I also believe the AVs are unable to develop top-end talent on the blue-line (especially defensive minded blue line talent.) It'd be a shame to watch him blossom in a town like Boston as did Boychuck.

Still you seem to defend the kid a lot without really addressing the issue of what happened. How many meetings did he miss? if it's one, I think we can all brush it under the rug...but if it's more, than certainly folks can wonder about what is going on....Who is this kid? And do the AVs actually stand a chance at developing his talents?

Old
10-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Don't worry I remember this too. It would take all day to find it, and i couldn't with a few searches, but I believe it was a little before Elliott was cut from camp. I don't remember the exact context or wording, so I couldn't comment on if it was a lame thing to say, but it implied something about him not thinking Elliott was ready or strong enough, and I remember being a bit surprised he would say that before the Avs even made their decision.

Old
10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
agentblack

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Don't worry I remember this too. It would take all day to find it, and i couldn't with a few searches, but I believe it was a little before Elliott was cut from camp. I don't remember the exact context or wording, so I couldn't comment on if it was a lame thing to say, but it implied something about him not thinking Elliott was ready or strong enough, and I remember being a bit surprised he would say that before the Avs even made their decision.
Yeah same here, I thought it was strange seeing how they are mates and all.

Old
10-06-2012, 07:56 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
Hey RS...just out of curiosity, do you know the guy that wrote the article? You seemed to be pretty defensive on it and while coming to Duncan's defense, you really haven't addressed the concerns about a kid missing meeting multiple times.

I believe you when I say, I think Duncan didn't/doesn't have a massive ego...but I also believe the AVs are unable to develop top-end talent on the blue-line (especially defensive minded blue line talent.) It'd be a shame to watch him blossom in a town like Boston as did Boychuck.

Still you seem to defend the kid a lot without really addressing the issue of what happened. How many meetings did he miss? if it's one, I think we can all brush it under the rug...but if it's more, than certainly folks can wonder about what is going on....Who is this kid? And do the AVs actually stand a chance at developing his talents?
- Yes I know the author of the article.

- I have addressed Duncan missing 2-3 meetings last season a few times in various places around these parts. They were because he simply slept in. It's a stupid mistake and it's part of the reason why he butted heads with some of his teammates last year. Several of those teammates likely found it hard to take a guy seriously when he makes mistakes like that. Duncan knows he made those mistakes and doesn't hide from the fact that he effed up.

- Of course the Avs have a chance of developing him just fine. In the end, I think losing the C can definitely be a godsend for him and I think his on-ice growth will be evident because of it. I also get the feeling that he will have an easier time developing both on and off the ice once he's out of junior. He's a bit of a different character as a person (not in a bad way, just not a typical teenager in how he acts and his personality) and I think once he's not stuck with these same teammates it will be much easier for him.

Old
10-07-2012, 12:55 AM
Foppa2118

There's no way this situation exists solely on missing a couple meetings. You don't take away a captaincy, and then give four other guys A's instead of him based solely on tardiness. If it is, then it's the most ridiculous use of power, and scapegoating for a poor season I've heard of in hockey, but I doubt it.

It may be that and something else that may have caused a rift with teammates, and he may not even be in the wrong for those other things, but I don't see how it could be just the late meetings.

Hopefully it's just a hiccup, and he can put it behind him, and get along well with future teammates. I do think this could light a fire under his ass a bit though, like he's got something to prove now. Could be a good thing for his on ice development, and maybe his off ice development too.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 10-07-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old
10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Not sure if anyone ever noticed, but THN ranked us as the 4th strongest prospect pool in the league for their magazine iirc. I was looking at it in the store the other day.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:33 PM
GamingGiant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Not sure if anyone ever noticed, but THN ranked us as the 4th strongest prospect pool in the league for their magazine iirc. I was looking at it in the store the other day.
Nice. Avs getting some love.

Wonder if it's a good read and worth a pick-up.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:50 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
Nice. Avs getting some love.

Wonder if it's a good read and worth a pick-up.
THN has always been a worthy pick-up (and I am not saying that because they always love our prospects). Except when they try to predict the season, that is one issue I do not pick up.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Foppa Frossa

Patterson and Millan to the Fish.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

So Aitto and Pickard are staying with LEM?

Old
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Foppa Frossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
So Aitto and Pickard are staying with LEM?
Your powers of deduction are most impressive.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Your powers of deduction are most impressive.
wiseass

Old
10-09-2012, 11:20 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Very interesting that I read (and loanwolfe will love this) that Beaupre had a really decent camp and got a AHL contract and will play for the Cutthroats as well.

Old
10-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Very interesting that I read (and loanwolfe will love this) that Beaupre had a really decent camp and got a AHL contract and will play for the Cutthroats as well.
Loanwolfe does indeed. I noticed that he was on their camp roster and got sent down to the Cutthroats. Thought it was odd he'd be sent to whatever league they are (IHL, OHL, ECHL?) instead of used as an overager in the Q, unless I don't understand their rules that is.

I still have a high belief that Beaupre is going to claw his way up to the NHL in the future and be a bottom pairing shutdown guy for us.

Closed Thread