HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Matt Gilroy signs AHL contract w/Whale then Rangers?

Old
10-06-2012, 08:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Gilroy is not terrible. At all. And he would be an asset.

We have 6 D signed. Del Zotto hasn't signed yet. But will. Thats 7 D.

We have 12 F signed. No spare F.

Two of our signed D have played F in a pinch.

Sign Gilroy and now you have 8 D, 2 of which can also fill in as a spare F.

Thats maximizing your assets. Saving money on the cap.

Gilroy is fine. He can log above average minutes. He hasn't hurt anyone in the playoffs. Not us and not Ottawa. We already have arguably the toughest top 4 D in the league. Gilroy and Stralman add a dynamic that is hard to quantify on paper. They are both able to skate at a high level and can add to what used to be a somewhat anemic offense (though statistically it was in the top 10 last year i believe).

Sauer is never coming back. That's how they have to operate. Bickel is fine, too. He has potential. Gilroy, Bickel, and Eminger in a bottom pair/spare D and poasibly spare F role helps this club. Good depth.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Gilroy is fine. He can log above average minutes. He hasn't hurt anyone in the playoffs. Not us and not Ottawa. We already have arguably the toughest top 4 D in the league. Gilroy and Stralman add a dynamic that is hard to quantify on paper. They are both able to skate at a high level and can add to what used to be a somewhat anemic offense (though statistically it was in the top 10 last year i believe).

Sauer is never coming back. That's how they have to operate. Bickel is fine, too. He has potential. Gilroy, Bickel, and Eminger in a bottom pair/spare D and poasibly spare F role helps this club. Good depth.
id rather have McIlrath learn on the job if he wasnt hurt over Gilroy....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:25 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id rather have McIlrath learn on the job if he wasnt hurt over Gilroy....
eh, I'd rather let McIlrath learn in the AHL, he still seems to be a pretty raw player at this point. No need to rush him, Gilroy/Eminger/Bickel will be good enough for now.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
same here.

Bickel had a bad PO's and has gotten a terrible rap for that.

He played well for the Rangers defensively during the regular season and is better than Gilroy on that side of the puck not to mention light years more physical all over the ice especially in front of the net.
Not only playoffs, but he shouldn't have been on the roster in the regular season to begin with. He wasn't a great AHL defender and somehow the coaching staff believed that he'd make a bottom pair defenseman. He was always constantly out of position, getting turned inside out when pucks went passed him and couldn't lead a breakout without a heart attack occurring. I've seen many, many bad NHL defenders play for the Rangers, but I think Bickel is by far the worst I've ever seen. That's quite something when you consider the garbage we had on display early this decade and the first seasons post lockout.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Not only playoffs, but he shouldn't have been on the roster in the regular season to begin with. He wasn't a great AHL defender and somehow the coaching staff believed that he'd make a bottom pair defenseman. He was always constantly out of position, getting turned inside out when pucks went passed him and couldn't lead a breakout without a heart attack occurring. I've seen many, many bad NHL defenders play for the Rangers, but I think Bickel is by far the worst I've ever seen. That's quite something when you consider the garbage we had on display early this decade and the first seasons post lockout.
Worse than Kalinin? Malik?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Yes. Kalinin wasn't that bad for his first half in his only Ranger season, but he literally fell apart down the stretch.

Malik wasn't a great player, but I think he was passable as a #6 guy on an average team.

Besides, I think there were much worse players than the two you listed; Strudwick had a lot of heart, but he was a pylon like Bickel. Anders Eriksson played a few games, but he was absolutely horrendous in them. Correy Potter was also up there.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yes. Kalinin wasn't that bad for his first half in his only Ranger season, but he literally fell apart down the stretch.

Malik wasn't a great player, but I think he was passable as a #6 guy on an average team.

Besides, I think there were much worse players than the two you listed; Strudwick had a lot of heart, but he was a pylon like Bickel. Anders Eriksson played a few games, but he was absolutely horrendous in them. Correy Potter was also up there.
Ah, Strudwick and Eriksson. How far we've come.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Christian Backman had his moments as well...

I think Derek Morris was the best #6 we've had since the lockout. Stralman was close though.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Christian Backman had his moments as well...

I think Derek Morris was the best #6 we've had since the lockout. Stralman was close though.
Backman... oh dear...

And I think Stralman has done a better job as a #6 here than Morris did. Morris was good, though.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Malik is a terribly underrated player around here.

10-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Malik is a terribly underrated player around here.
I think that Rozsival definitely is.

From what I remember about Malik (and maybe I was too young) he was bad.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I'm not saying Malik was slow but he was hit by a car with a flat tire being pushed by two guys.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think that Rozsival definitely is.

From what I remember about Malik (and maybe I was too young) he was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I'm not saying Malik was slow but he was hit by a car with a flat tire being pushed by two guys.
Malik was asked to a be top four defenseman. And he really was never meant to be that. But he performed admirably. For what they paid him and what he gives them, he was great value. He never was a punishing hitter despite his size, but he gave the Rangers a lot of good minutes.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:25 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
People didn't like Malik because he was 6'6 and didn't put anyone in the front row. He was fine, he was just the scapegoat. Every team has a scapegoat.

Yes he was soft, but he was a fine NHL defenseman. At one point he led the league in points after a 3 point opening night.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:35 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Malik gets a bad rap.... He wasnt ad bad as people say... Imo the worst was... Cant remember his name.... Oh ozolinch or whatever it was... He was just terrible by the time his career brought him to ny

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
Malik gets a bad rap.... He wasnt ad bad as people say... Imo the worst was... Cant remember his name.... Oh ozolinch or whatever it was... He was just terrible by the time his career brought him to ny
Malik was horrible at times..Rozsival always had to cover for his mistakes...Tom Poti was a pansy and brutal..way worse than Malik and i never liked Malik..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:49 PM
eco's bones

Malik was a decent player.

The critique of Bickel is a bit much. Worst since the lockout?

1.Wade Redden--plain and simple--lost his legs, played soft, took up tons of cap space.

But there were plenty of others. For instance:

The very overrated Paul Mara. Tom Poti--weak defensively and another cream puff. Darius Kasparaitis--knees were shot. Sandis Ozolinsh--terrible defensively--always forcing plays--almost always out of position. Bryan McCabe--old and couldn't skate anymore. Christian Backman. Strudwick. Eric Reitz. Kalinin. Jeff Woywitka--our worst d-man last year. Thomas Pock. Eminger is no great shakes either and Matt Gilroy himself--weak in his own end--his next bodycheck will be his first ever.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Barnaby

Gilroy was the last Ranger who left that I was thrilled to see walk out the door. He's a great skater, but he's awful positionally, constantly outmuscled, has no shot, and is a mediocre passer at best. If you are as much as a defensive liability as he is, then you'd better offer something else - he doesn't. I loved seeing him on opposing teams last year bc if you get body position against him then you are getting a scoring chance - this division will eat him alive.

Eminger > Bickel > Gilroy.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Barnaby

Malik was fine. He performed admirably considering the Rangers depth was so bad that he was a solid 3rd pairing guy asked to play top pairing minutes. The problem was that he was big and non-physical - those players don't tend to be popular.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Last year with all the injuries the Bolts had him on the top pair with Brewer and he did a very good job, in an injury pinch he could play with Staal on the 2nd pair...not for the whole season but as an injury fillin for a few games...2 years ago in the playoffs he was one of our best players...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Poti got a bad rap as well. Pretty impressive for a "brutal" defenseman to have an 800+ game NHL career. But like Rozsival, he wasn't a big hitter and was hesitant to shoot...which in these parts, means you suck.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Poti got a bad rap as well. Pretty impressive for a "brutal" defenseman to have an 800+ game NHL career. But like Rozsival, he wasn't a big hitter and was hesitant to shoot...which in these parts, means you suck.
Agreed.

It also didnt help that Poti was mislabeled as the heir apparent to Brian Leetch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Last year with all the injuries the Bolts had him on the top pair with Brewer and he did a very good job, in an injury pinch he could play with Staal on the 2nd pair...not for the whole season but as an injury fillin for a few games...2 years ago in the playoffs he was one of our best players...
I agree. But i think we are in the minority on this.

The team lacked depth, if Gilroy signs with the Rangers we have very good defense depth.

McDonagh
Girardi
Staal
Del Zotto
Stralman
Bickel
Gilroy
Eminger

And Bickel, Gilroy, Eminger could dress as forwards in a pinch.

I like the depth with Matt added.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed.

It also didnt help that Poti was mislabeled as the heir apparent to Brian Leetch.
If anyone labeled him that way, it wasn't anyone with remotely realistic expectations. Leetch was a once-in-ten-years offensive defenseman. Poti was a 1B
power play guy on a weak team in the height of his career.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Joey Bones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkMZdmOKuE

This is the Gilroy we could see again.

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote