HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
You guys know any good comedies on right now other than Parks and Rec and Community? I've heard some really good things about Louie.
Louie is good but I wouldn't even call it a comedy any more. It's its own thing.

Happy Endings
New Girl
Don't Trust the ***** in Apartment 23
30 Rock of course
Mindy Project only has 2 episodes so far but could be good

Old
10-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I must be on crazy pills or something. I seriously don't know a single person in real life who likes 30 Rock. Not one.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:49 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Well I mean it's not popular at all. 3 million viewers last night. It's crack for comedy/pop culture nerds like myself tho.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:50 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I don't want 22 minutes of Ron. He's best running the B story, not the A story.
The problem is that he's the only character that I find funny. I don't really like the rest of them, even though they have their moments from time to time.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Well I mean it's not popular at all. 3 million viewers last night. It's crack for comedy/pop culture nerds like myself tho.
I just don't get it. I'm not sure Tracy Morgan has ever actually been funny before. The whole show just feels like its trying really really hard to make you think its not trying. It's that kid in school who goes out of his way to wear goofy clothes to make sure you know he doesn't care what you think of him.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
The problem is that he's the only character that I find funny. I don't really like the rest of them, even though they have their moments from time to time.
everyone else is really hit or miss. Ron Swanson is hit or hit so hard I roll on the floor laughing.

Seriously, oversized cups were the main idea of a 3 or 4 minute scene. What the hell.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:54 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

well I love a woman who speaks the language of the Nazis' most enthusiastic collaborators

Old
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I must be on crazy pills or something. I seriously don't know a single person in real life who likes 30 Rock. Not one.
I love(d) it...I'm way behind now because of my lack of cable-having for so long...but up through the end of season 4 was great...from what I've heard I'm almost better off not trying to catch up on things, though.

Mind you 30 Rock is sort of a meta show about writing a television show...so that inherently appeals to me. The character of Liz Lemon had already been watered down by the time I left off with the show, though, and has apparently gotten even worse since then...and that's a shame. In it's 2nd & 3rd season it was the best comedy on TV...but even it's biggest fans generally refer to it like Simpsons fans refer to modern Simpsons episodes. 30 Rock was a show that I was shocked to get a 3rd season...and sometimes it's for the better. As much as I love Community and want to work for a show like that...that show can't last 7 seasons and still be Community.

Quote:
Yeah...well you can't really do a 22 minute show around Ron Swanson and actually have anything resembling plot...nevermind fill an entire season with that stuff. You can't over-expose a character like that, he's at his best when he's used sparingly. The first episode of the season was probably the most screen time Ron's ever had and it was the worst episode the show has had since it's first season. Ron was still somewhat funny and it was true to his character...but he was overexposed. The funniest character on a show is almost never the main character.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Don't listen to the haters Big. Last night's 30 Rock was one of the best of all time. OF ALL TIME. It's still close to as good as it ever was.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Yeah...well you can't really do a 22 minute show around Ron Swanson and actually have anything resembling plot...nevermind fill an entire season with that stuff. You can't over-expose a character like that, he's at his best when he's used sparingly. The first episode of the season was probably the most screen time Ron's ever had and it was the worst episode the show has had since it's first season. Ron was still somewhat funny and it was true to his character...but he was overexposed. The funniest character on a show is almost never the main character.
Yeah... I guess...

So what you're saying is that if I got my way and they made a straight up Ari Gold show, it wouldn't be as good as the premise sounds. That's probably one of my most favorite, if not the most favorite TV character ever.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Most great characters aren't the lead characters of a show. Hell, usually my least favorite character is the lead character...they exist to move the storylines forward. How does a show centered around Ron Swanson work? He actively avoids doing things. It's just a sketch show at that point.

There's nothing wrong with sketch shows...but I like my shows to have depth. Ron Swanson may be my favorite character on television right now (and possibly ever)...but he's about as deep as a wading pool. If you try to make him any deeper than he is then he ceases being Ron Swanson...and Ron Swanson isn't possible without an opposite character to feed off of, ala Leslie Knope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Don't listen to the haters Big. Last night's 30 Rock was one of the best of all time. OF ALL TIME. It's still close to as good as it ever was.
Glad to hear that. I'm just happy that NBC did give them a proper send-off with a 13 episode short-season. Seeing a three-time Best Sitcom Emmy winner outright cancelled without a true ending would have been depressing.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Most great characters aren't the lead characters of a show. Hell, usually my least favorite character is the lead character...they exist to move the storylines forward. How does a show centered around Ron Swanson work? He actively avoids doing things. It's just a sketch show at that point.
I don't know how Michael Scott ever worked as well as he did as a lead. I guess having three "almost" main characters right behind him was the key.

I'm trying to think of sitcoms with really good leads. Cheers, The Office, Frasier, Scrubs, Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Spin City, Cosby, Everybody Loves Raymond, Married with Children, I Love Lucy, Fresh Prince. I think its rare that I watch a show when I don't like the lead. Community and Parks and Rec are probably as close as I come.

Of course, quite a few other shows just go with the ensemble cast and avoid the whole situation. Friends, Always Sunny, etc.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Without a lead you don't really have a show...so in a vehicle (like Seinfeld) then obviously the main character is going to be getting most of the good jokes.

Probably not a good example for me considering I'd like to stab every character on that show with a spork, but still...Kramer couldn't handle the weight of a show.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:40 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Go get me another refill.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Without a lead you don't really have a show...so in a vehicle (like Seinfeld) then obviously the main character is going to be getting most of the good jokes.

Probably not a good example for me considering I'd like to stab every character on that show with a spork, but still...Kramer couldn't handle the weight of a show.
I'm not really sure what my point was there, more just stating examples of shows that had good leads. In case you were distracted by your burning hatred of Seinfeld, I did list other examples again, no real point I guess. I just don't share your view of most leads being there just to move the story. Then again, I've never been to no fancy writin school neither.

I definitely agree that a lot of shows best characters wouldn't work as leads. Gob, Swanson et al. Is that Dwight spinoff still happening? Has a spinoff show actually worked since Frasier?

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-05-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old
10-05-2012, 11:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Been working out, playing tennis, and playing hockey like crazy recently. I feel like i'm in the best shape of my life...

so I went to Burgatory tonight to celebrate. ****ing right. It was damn good. Still not the best burger in Pittsburgh, though. That belongs to Bob's Diner or Fat Heads.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Been working out, playing tennis, and playing hockey like crazy recently. I feel like i'm in the best shape of my life...

so I went to Burgatory tonight to celebrate. ****ing right. It was damn good. Still not the best burger in Pittsburgh, though. That belongs to Bob's Diner or Fat Heads.
I've only had Fat Heads of those, but it is amazing.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
I'm not really sure what my point was there, more just stating examples of shows that had good leads. In case you were distracted by your burning hatred of Seinfeld, I did list other examples again, no real point I guess. I just don't share your view of most leads being there just to move the story. Then again, I've never been to no fancy writin school neither.
I wasn't saying most leads just being there to move the story...it's just an inherent aspect of the main character. There has to be a reason for a show to be made...and the day-to-day ramblings of a burly Libertarian isn't enough of a reason.

To shift things to Community...there is no Community without Jeff, though I don't know anyone who lists him as their favorite character in the show. That doesn't mean he's a great character and the show is a great example of an ensemble show done right...but Jeff is the character that is the reason for the show existing, as without him wanting to get with Britta there is no study group, and he gets more screen time than any of the other characters usually...even if it isn't that much more than the rest of the ensemble. The show would be entirely different if he and Abed changed seats. As much as I love Abed it's pretty hard to write a primary story around him that doesn't degrade into some sort of talk about a mental condition...he's best as 1/7 of the group making his observations and movie references.

I'm just trying to think of shows where my favorite character is the 'main' character and they're few and far between. Arrested Development did a great job making Michael a deep and interesting character...but Tobias and Gob were still my favorite characters. Fry is a fun character in Futurama, but Zoidberg is my favorite of the main characters. Dwight in The Office, Bill in Freaks and Geeks, Jane in Firefly...the only shows that I can think of where my favorite character is the 'main' character are shows where there is a truly clear main character...like a star vehicle (Seinfeld is named Seinfeld for a reason).

I'm a fan of ensemble shows...and most of them do have a character that I'd call the glue, the character that holds everything together and drives the bulk of the action.

The pilot I've been working on for years (I have no delusions of it actually being made, so I don't feel too bad about talking about it unlike half the people here who are so uptight about everyone 'stealing' their ideas...oi) is an ensemble show that follows a similar model to Community in the way the characters are laid out...I've got one 'main' character who clearly starts the wheels in motion and five characters that are essentially equal past that initial action (and another couple characters who play major parts without being primary characters...think Chang or the Dean in Community...who are the most outrageous characters on the show because of their roles). Even though my main character shares a ton in common with myself he's not my favorite character to work with, because he's a somewhat grounded individual. My favorite characters to work with are the more outrageous ones. To go back to Community...everyone is going to like Dean Pelton more than Shirley Bennett...but a character like the Dean isn't possible without having the grounded presence of a character like Shirley. A show where everyone is off living in their own worlds becomes unrelatable and hard to watch.

And yes, apparently I just called a show that has 3 episodes devoted to paintball a relatable show.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Community is one of the few shows I enjoy in spite of not liking the main character at all. Its what keeps me from calling it a great show. I just don't think Jeff or Britta are funny. Like, at all.

I guess I agree that most shows best character isn't the main character. But I usually at least like the main character in the shows I watch. Michael Bluth is a great character. Same for Mal in Firefly. Michael Scott was always my favorite on the Office though. Dwight was great, but he is the perfect example of why guys like Ron Swanson shouldn't be stars. The more the office focuses on Dwight, the less I like him.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:35 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I like the main characters in all of the shows I love (including Jeff), they're just rarely my favorites.

The Dwight/Ron comparison is definitely apt. Dwight is phenomenal when used sparingly and given the occasional B-story...but when he's asked to handle a main story he just becomes an unlikeable ass instead of an awkward power-hungry dweeb.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I think I just mistook your comment about the lead often being your least favorite to mean you often didn't like the lead. I gotcha now.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I'm one lucky S.O.B.

I woke up this morning to the surprise of my fiancee telling me that she cooked me a huge breakfast of sausage, pancakes and....wait for it.....

Bacon!!!!

Old
10-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I'm one lucky S.O.B.

I woke up this morning to the surprise of my fiancee telling me that she cooked me a huge breakfast of sausage, pancakes and....wait for it.....

Bacon!!!!
she's a keeper

my wife brought me mcdonalds breakfast. Its not bacon, but it beats cereal again

Old
10-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

doing some volunteer work at a free legal aid clinic. parked my car in a lot designated for employees of the RECREATION AND PARKS DEPARTMENT. i'll take a picture of their placard next week.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:52 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
she's a keeper

my wife brought me mcdonalds breakfast. Its not bacon, but it beats cereal again
Yes my girl is a keeper for sure.

Whatdja have at Mcdonald's dude??? Sausage McMuffin and hashbrowns?

Closed Thread