HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

vCash: 500
Anywhere in the top 5 would be amazing for Dallas...Give em' any one of MacKinnon, Monahan, Lindholm or Barkov upfront or Jones and safe to say it's a big step forward for the future of the team.

Old
10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karitimes View Post
Anywhere in the top 5 would be amazing for Dallas...Give em' any one of MacKinnon, Monahan, Lindholm or Barkov upfront or Jones and safe to say it's a big step forward for the future of the team.
Ristolainan looks like hed be a good option at d as well. So far the top 15 of this draft looks pretty impressive.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:09 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Morrissey, Ristolainan, Pulock, Jones, etc. all look like guys who could be future #1s. I don't know why, but this draft just seems to be ridiculously top heavy with some extremely talented guys in the top 10-15.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Ristolainan looks like hed be a good option at d as well. So far the top 15 of this draft looks pretty impressive.
Yeah Risto looks very good, I was just getting at the top 5 being pretty well a guarentee for Dallas to nab a guy who could be an immediate contributor which would be a huge boost considering a good number of guys drafted 2 and 3 years back could be ready to make the jump at the same time as a top 5er could. Outside top 5 chances are the development curve gets drawn out a fair bit longer as we've seen.

BUT, since I trust in every word that comes out of Jesus Gretzky's mouth, I believe we'll see hockey back by the new year. And as per usual... no top 5 pick for us.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Walked in the door from the Halifax, Saint John game. 11-2 Mooseheads, MacKinnon with 3-2-5 in the first 2 and change. They stopped playing him after he scored early in the 3rd. Huberdeau with both in the 3rd. Coulda been a more there was 4 min left when I took off.

I will say MacKinnon is every bit as physically ready as Huberdeau. Just a manchild. He does everything coming at you full speed. He's got all the tools offensively but what's so unique is the physical side...tenacity, agility, confidence and strength tend to elements you develop in a young prospect, and that's where he's way ahead. Game was over after 1, and truth be told Saint John really didn't show up. Shots were 30 -12 last I looked.

On a side note, Drouin always impresses as well. He's a real smart player, creates a lot out there. He gots rocked at the end of the 2nd and that was it for his night.

Old
10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I know it's 2014, but Ho-Sang's been drawing some comparisons to Modano. Apparently he's even got the jersey flow Modano was so famous for.

Old
10-11-2012, 11:53 PM
BigG44

After U.S. fans watch Devin Shore play Notre Dame on NBCSN, you can checkout the seasons first CHL on Sportsnet at 10 PM Eastern on NHL Network.

This week's match up is the Edmonton Oil Kings and Calgary Hitmen. One of the top prospects projected in this draft is Center Curtis Lazar of the Oil Kings. Center Gregory Chase of the Hitmen is projected by some as a pick in the Top 3 rounds.

Sportsnet special on Lazar last November:

Craig Button on Lazar (2nd half of the video):

Lazar Highlights:

Old
10-12-2012, 01:34 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

I've seen Lazar live 5 or 6 times now and he leaves me with mixed feelings... He has a spectacular shot and works hard but his one ice awareness is a lacking a bit in my opinon... Also offensively other than his shot he doesn't really have elite offensive skills that could translate to him being a big time point producer in the NHL in my opinion.. If I had to project him I'd say he has a high chance of sticking in the NHL as he's above average in many areas but his offensive ceiling is probably 25 goals 60 points.

Chase is very creative and has good hands but his skating is downright horrendous.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

I watched MacKinnon again at home against Sherbrooke in the Q tonite. 2g 1a in a 4-3 win. It's not fair really that a kid barely 17 owns it like he does pretty well every night and obviously makes his whole team better even with his top linemate Drouin out of the line up. 14g in 12 gp and an 11-1 record now. Id kill ruthlessly to have this guy in a Stars uni.

Old
10-19-2012, 11:33 PM
Satan
& try another year

If we somehow end up with the 1st overall pick we take MacKinnon. No questions asked.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

You're bang on Gar... If we got 1st and picked someone other than Mack I'd **** my pants. I would seriously try hard to **** my pants, I'd be that upset. I have not watched Seth, and all due respect to him, but I refuse to believe there is a better player out there for the 2013 draft.

Last edited by Karitimes: 10-20-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old
10-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Jones really fits our needs better, though I suppose MacKinnon would allow Dallas to move Loui back to left wing because MacKinnon is a right-winger (Or will play RW at the NHL level).

Old
10-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Dynamic offensive players fit our needs far more than a good possibly great defenseman. We have several guys who can be that but I promise there's not a prospect in our pool with the kind of offensive game McKinnon has.

McKinnon, Barkov, Monahan are my top 3 right now and I would kick a baby for any of them.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Dynamic offensive players fit our needs far more than a good possibly great defenseman. We have several guys who can be that but I promise there's not a prospect in our pool with the kind of offensive game McKinnon has.

McKinnon, Barkov, Monahan are my top 3 right now and I would kick a baby for any of them.
As great as Jones if you dont think he is the next superstar two way dman i think you go with one of the forwards too. Its tough because as much as i want them to draft jones i am not able to determine how much of that is due to what a great story it would be. The stars have alot of great forward prospects but i definitely dont see anyone elite like mackinnon and barkov appear to be.

Old
10-21-2012, 12:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Dynamic offensive players fit our needs far more than a good possibly great defenseman.
Huh? Not at all...

Benn and Loui are better forwards than anyone in our system projects to be as a defenseman. Setting aside whether you draft for need at all, the Stars' need at the high end unquestionably remains on defense, not offense.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Drafting forwards that high seems to typically be safer as well.

I think if we have a top 2 pick, it's either MacKinnon or Barkov. I love Jones as much as the next guy, but those two are just so, so good that you can't turn them down. I'm not sold on Monahan, so I'd go with Jones at #3 unless a team like Toronto is up there.

Old
10-21-2012, 01:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Our biggest need is probably a #1 D-man, by far. But I agree if you're picking in the top 3 you generally should go with a high end forward..

Needless to speculate for now anyways.

Old
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
txomisc

another thing i think worth noting is that Seth Jones just missed last years draft while Mackinnon and Barkov barely miss next years draft. To put it another way Jones is 11 months older than Mackinnon. Not a huge deal but something to factor in.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Mooseheads win 11th in a row last night 6-2 against Drummondville. Mackinnon had 2G, and Drouin was back from injury with 2G,2A.

If the Stars are picking in the 8-15 range, I would not mind them looking at Drouin. He might go later than that because he will need to get bigger and stronger, but I see Ribeiro sense with a real skating stride. He ran the PP and created virtually everything for Mackinnon's line last night. He'll be ranked higher than he goes in next years draft IMO, could be a steal.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
BigG44

Another Tanner Pearson type situation cold be brewing with JC Lipon of the Kamloops Blazers (Gaglardi's WHL team).

He scored 19 goals in 69 games last year, and he's already netted 13 goals in 13 games this season. He leads the WHL in goals (13) and points (32), and he is tied for the league lead in assists (19).

Lipon just turned 19 years old, and he's been passed over in the draft twice. Despite being 2 years older than most draft eligible players, there's a reasonable chance he could see his name called early like twice overlooked Tanner Pearson.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644242
Quote:
"This kid has just exploded out of the gate," NHL Central Scouting's Peter Sullivan told NHL.com. "Here's a kid that in his [initial] draft year wasn't drafted, and guys that were drafted in the first two rounds [last year], he's better now at this point than the kids that were drafted."
Quote:
What also has helped has been consistent linemates -- he's skated at right wing on a line centered by Colin Smith with Tim Bozon on the left side since last season -- and a commitment to adopting the principles [Kamloops Head Coach] Charron and his staff have preached.

"I knew of the skill he had," Charron said. "He was a good skater, could handle himself physically. He had good attributes -- good hands, good shot. It was just a matter of would he be able to put it within a team frame-type of thing. There's a certain way we want our guys to play and can he play in that structure. If he does, perhaps he has the ability to generate that kind of success. That line was put together last year and right from the get-go they generated success because all three of them can skate. They have great skills. They complement each other very well. They're worth the price of admission right now."

Old
11-08-2012, 03:30 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Our biggest need is probably a #1 D-man, by far. But I agree if you're picking in the top 3 you generally should go with a high end forward..

Needless to speculate for now anyways.
We have a number 1 D Man, and he is about 9 feet tall. He will be like Chara but probably better.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
We have a number 1 D Man, and he is about 9 feet tall. He will be like Chara but probably better.
I like Oleksiak alot but you've basically just called him a hall of famer before his nhl debut.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I like Oleksiak alot but you've basically just called him a hall of famer before his nhl debut.
Key word was "PROBABLY"

Look how long it took before Chara was even mentioned as being a decent/good hockey player. I just think Jamie will be better from the gate as when Chara started.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I agree Jamie will be better to start but I don't think he has the mean streak Chara does or the upside. Chara is a near certain hall of famer and Olesiak hasn't proven anything at any level that he has that kind of upside.

Look, Jamie doesn't have to be a HOF player to be more than good enough to play as a top pairing d-man. Quite frankly I haven't heard a lot of noise lately about Jones being a dead certain lock to be that either. I have however heard that any of Barkov, McKinnon, or say Monahan are pretty certain sure fire first liners. Dynamic offensive players are no where to be found in this system. Chiasson could be a really good winger, as may R. Smith and Guptill. None of them have the pedigree of those three. Take the dynamic talent when you get the opportunity.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Oleksiak won't be a top-pairing guy. Just don't see it in him at this point.

If anyone currently on the team's gonna be a #1, it's Larsen. But even that's a stretch.

There seems to be plenty of guys who project to be #1 defensemen down the road this year, and snagging one should probably be our #2 priority in the first round (behind BPA, of course). Jones, Pulock, Risto, Morrissey, and one or two more.

Closed Thread