HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Bingo @ Hershey | Friday Oct 5, 2012 | 7:00 pm I Bingo Wins! 5-3

Old
10-05-2012, 11:43 PM
playasRus

vCash: 500
What's the news on Maindot?
Is he hurt?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
You have to admit...these are pretty wild conclusions to jump to from listening to a game on the radio.

You need to see the play. Radio guys have a tendency to energize their audiences. Schreiber for example could get you on the edge of your seat with the way he calls a blind centering pass to nobody. Or Dean Brown's "side of the net" call he uses or used over and over. Or scrambbbbuulllllllll.

You see what I'm getting at here?

It's good to see the hopes of the future get on the scoresheet, no doubt about it, and at least we have SOMETHING to take an interest in right now.
Oh the rational and discerning fans all have their say. My opinions were mostly based off watching(yes watching) the first game, and taking into account several scouting reports from fans to Tim Murray and Paul Maclean. I tend to use multiple sources to formulate an opinion.

I feel fairly confident saying Zibby is a player now. I had some doubts about him last year.

If you think saying Pageau is pushing for a bingo spot is a wild conclusion, you should hear my opinions on DD. It would probably blow your mind.

Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:07 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
What's the news on Maindot?
Is he hurt?
he met Lehner in the hallway

Last seen cowering in a corner, rocking and muttering to himself.

MandyAlwaysKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:16 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 50
Anyone have the boxscores?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:28 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post
I feel fairly confident saying Zibby is a player now. I had some doubts about him last year.
He only turned 19yo in mid-late April (after the season was over). There wasn't any reason to make career long judgements about him.

If he fails to make the team 12 months from now, we can start making a case... otherwise; the only only 18yo's Ottawa has ever kept up were Daigle & Bonk. Did you want him to follow their paths?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:07 AM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He only turned 19yo in mid-late April (after the season was over). There wasn't any reason to make career long judgements about him.

If he fails to make the team 12 months from now, we can start making a case... otherwise; the only only 18yo's Ottawa has ever kept up were Daigle & Bonk. Did you want him to follow their paths?
You forgot about Stan Neckar.

WilderPegasus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Red Rocket

Quote:

No! His play at the WJC, aside from the golden goal, was mediocre. He was apparently mishandled in Djurgarden if you believe BMurray and Tmurray. I just had concerns about his development. I don't think its a controversial view.

Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Alfieghetti
inflamed

either way, I think it's safe to say that after his performance in these two AHL pre-season games, all doubts have been smashed to smithereens.

Alfieghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
You forgot about Stan Neckar.
I met him a number of times and I even had Thanksgiving dinner with him once at my grandparents house. He was rooming with my uncle and I got a signed stick out of it. It's up in my room right now.

Saabman0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:17 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Would love to see Grant put in the middle between Silfverberg & Zibanejad, that might be a good way to transition those two to Spezza's line down the road. That would certainly help Grant as well & maybe we could see his offensive production & confidence go up. Grant would make a pretty good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone.

I still don't think Pageau will make Bingo, I don't see him beating out Da Costa or Cannone to be honest & Bingo would be too small down the middle. Although, I would like to see Murray trade Da Costa & Petersson for picks or in a package for Reinhart. On the bright side Elmira could have a pretty good team too once Bingo makes all it's TC cuts. Both teams should have much improve goaltending too.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article...|text|Sports|p

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
No! His play at the WJC, aside from the golden goal, was mediocre. He was apparently mishandled in Djurgarden if you believe BMurray and Tmurray. I just had concerns about his development. I don't think its a controversial view.
It was premature.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
I don't recall his WJC performance being mediocre... didn't he average 13 shots per game or something?

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:10 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
I don't recall his WJC performance being mediocre... didn't he average 13 shots per game or something?
I don't think it was mediocre so much as he didn't dominate (especially physically) as much as people expected wanted him to.

Part of that was probably the fact he was playing the wing for the first time, so he looked like he was thinking more about his positioning than actually going out and playing by instinct.

Secondly, while I don't have hard stats to prove it, I'm pretty sure Zib took the shortest shifts of any single player in the tournament. There were plenty of times where the guy would go for a change halfway through his linemates' shifts. Whether that was because his conditioning wasn't very good for whatever reason, or just his NHL influence (there is much more of an emphasis to go all out and changing quickly in the NHL than anywhere else in the world), he just wasn't on the ice long enough to have the minute long showing up everywhere on the ice and dominating shifts a guy like Ovechkin or Hossa would have.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 12:17 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Would love to see Grant put in the middle between Silfverberg & Zibanejad, that might be a good way to transition those two to Spezza's line down the road. That would certainly help Grant as well & maybe we could see his offensive production & confidence go up. Grant would make a pretty good 3rd line centre in Ottawa next season with Greening & Stone.

I still don't think Pageau will make Bingo, I don't see him beating out Da Costa or Cannone to be honest & Bingo would be too small down the middle. Although, I would like to see Murray trade Da Costa & Petersson for picks or in a package for Reinhart. On the bright side Elmira could have a pretty good team too once Bingo makes all it's TC cuts. Both teams should have much improve goaltending too.

New York Islanders aren't going to go trading away the only top defensive pick they've had in ages. Unless you mean Sam or Max.

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

The flyers have played with Briere and Giroux down the middle, and that's an NHL team who's primary goal is wins. We're talking about an AHL team who's primary goal is player development, and Pageau is one of management's favourites; they may have taken him in the 4th, but they think he's more than that. And so far he's shown he may belong, and I expect they'll let him do that if he continues. Pat Cannone gets none of that love.

And as far as Petersson and Da Costa in a package for Reinhart, use your head. If you can't see the value in most prospects that are small, why do you expect another team to do so and give up their most recent lottery pick. Dream on.

Old
10-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
His play in the WJC was micro-criticized by people here. It always happens here, happened with Cowen...some people call for patience and eventually watch a prospect with excellent tools develop, most don't see immediate results and call failure.

People were calling Brayden Schenn sucks after game 1 of his second WJC after an underwhelming first tournament. Then he went onto set records.

Mika's got outstanding first line tools. It amazes me that some think he's not only unlikely to be a 1st liner (which is possible, but not a good bet IMO), but also think he may not be a 2nd liner.

I'm tellin ya, not many players in the league with his skill set and attributes that don't play on their teams top units once they've matured. It can happen, but it's a bad bet after you've looked at the skill across the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
I don't think it was mediocre so much as he didn't dominate (especially physically) as much as people expected wanted him to.

Part of that was probably the fact he was playing the wing for the first time, so he looked like he was thinking more about his positioning than actually going out and playing by instinct.

Secondly, while I don't have hard stats to prove it, I'm pretty sure Zib took the shortest shifts of any single player in the tournament. There were plenty of times where the guy would go for a change halfway through his linemates' shifts. Whether that was because his conditioning wasn't very good for whatever reason, or just his NHL influence (there is much more of an emphasis to go all out and changing quickly in the NHL than anywhere else in the world), he just wasn't on the ice long enough to have the minute long showing up everywhere on the ice and dominating shifts a guy like Ovechkin or Hossa would have.
And there's some points worth considering here as well. It wasn't his first time playing wing, but I don't think it was regular. Commentators were calling him the most dangerous shooter in the tourney because of the one timer threat he has, that was interestingly placed on the 2nd unit power play because Sweden has a fetish for Filip Forsberg. Can't fault them, they won.

All in all, he's got 4 points in 2 AHL games and he led our team in pre-season goals last year as well. Yes, it's preseason, but yes, he's also 18. We aren't expecting him to be Malkin but I do think we'll get a player that brings a bit more than a guy like Milan Michalek. And I like comparing them because size and skating is pretty similar...but Mika's got some Ovechkin circa 2011-12 in him (not Ovechkin circa league domination years).

Old
10-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Huffman

Zibanejad was a beast when it mattered the most, look at his last overtime shift against the Swiss and the last parts of the games against Russia.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

vCash: 0
Any highlights of the game?

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:40 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The flyers have played with Briere and Giroux down the middle, and that's an NHL team who's primary goal is wins. We're talking about an AHL team who's primary goal is player development, and Pageau is one of management's favourites; they may have taken him in the 4th, but they think he's more than that. And so far he's shown he may belong, and I expect they'll let him do that if he continues. Pat Cannone gets none of that love.

And as far as Petersson and Da Costa in a package for Reinhart, use your head. If you can't see the value in most prospects that are small, why do you expect another team to do so and give up their most recent lottery pick. Dream on.
The only Reinhart that would make sense in this deal is Max

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
The year after they were drafted:

Silfverberg put up a 48-8-8-16 line in the SEL, he turned 19 in October to start the season.

Zibanejad put up a 26-5-8-13 line in the SEL, he turned 19 in April (after the season had finished).

He had a much better season, was 8 months younger and was the team's highest pick in over a decade.

It was extremely premature for people to start running around here projecting him as a 3rd liner and offering him up in deals for trivial crap.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
The year after they were drafted:

Silfverberg put up a 48-8-8-16 line in the SEL, he turned 19 in October to start the season.

Zibanejad put up a 26-5-8-13 line in the SEL, he turned 19 in April (after the season had finished).

He had a much better season, was 8 months younger and was the team's highest pick in over a decade.

It was extremely premature for people to start running around here projecting him as a 3rd liner and offering him up in deals for trivial crap.

Old
10-06-2012, 03:17 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Oh the rational and discerning fans all have their say. My opinions were mostly based off watching(yes watching) the first game, and taking into account several scouting reports from fans to Tim Murray and Paul Maclean. I tend to use multiple sources to formulate an opinion.

If you think saying Pageau is pushing for a bingo spot is a wild conclusion, you should hear my opinions on DD. It would probably blow your mind.
Dont forget these are pre-season games in the AHL. If you had doubts on MK last year the two pre-seaon games he has played in this year shouldnt erase doubt.

I am glad our prospects have started out on the right foot but as always I am cautiously optimistic.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 03:52 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
1 and 2 goal wins vs Hershey's b-team? I'm not liking Bingo's odd this season.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Capital O TEETEE 613
Sensored

vCash: 50
Thank God we didnt trade Zibanejad+++ for Nash...That would of been terrible...It had potential to be one of the worst trades ever. Lol.

Capital O TEETEE 613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:26 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

Lol made my day for some reason I never see things the same as aragorn.. Ever. Very rare occasion.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote