HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sylvain Guimond, new Habs psychologist

Old
10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Or when the D gets beat on the outside and the opponent just cuts inside, goes on the backhand and puts it between the legs. It happened so many times and I have yet to understand how Carey doesn't close his five-hole.

But it has nothing to do with a Sports psychologist.
Because if he closed his five-hole in that situation, the player would just wrap the puck into the empty side of the net.

I hate when people critique goaltending but really have no idea how the position is played.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:10 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Higgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
The Habs really have not had a sports psychologist until now?
I know that Richard Rappaport has done some work with the Habs.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:13 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
You hate everybody that goes on l'antichambre. Roy, Carbonneau, Damphousse, or simply the french Canadians?
What. It's mostly L'Antichambre, not all of them though. I don't hate Roy, Carbo or Damphousse. I mostly hate how they get dumber when they start appearing there but that has provably more to do with requiring them to give their opinions all the time.

It has nothing to do with French Canadians/Québécois. I consider myself one.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:16 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Because if he closed his five-hole in that situation, the player would just wrap the puck into the empty side of the net.

I hate when people critique goaltending but really have no idea how the position is played.
I played goaltender although I will tell you I'm not an expert.

That said, there's probably a way to impede most of these goals using the stick. It's a pretty hard thing to save but possible.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelletier666 View Post
You hate everybody that goes on l'antichambre. Roy, Carbonneau, Damphousse, or simply the french Canadians?
Pretty crazy conclusion to jump to there. Insecure much?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion
Roy? Malakhov? Who else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Higgins
Latendresse
Ribeiro

>>> THEODORE <<< (Gods! best example perhaps)

Brisebois, by his own admission, was having confidence problems that hampered his abilities and worse, seriously poisoned his life. Pretty obvious when that happened and why... (back when merciless idiots booed him every shift)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Pretty crazy conclusion to jump to there. Insecure much?
Nope, pretty secure here. Just thought the OP was generalizing a little too much and thought I should stir the pot. Guimond IMHO is a pretty solid guy so I thought it was unfair to start the thread with a cynical remark.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Rozz

Quote:

I second this!

Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Newhabfan

There's only so much that a psychologist can do - men are traditionally more hesitant to talk about their problems, especially men playing a "tough guy" sport. You can help someone only if he thinks he needs your help (you can "convince" him about that though but that's another story )

Anyway - from what I've ssee he always seemed a professional, realistic, matter-of-fact kind of guy - which is great in this field. Let's give him a chance.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
There's only so much that a psychologist can do - men are traditionally more hesitant to talk about their problems, especially men playing a "tough guy" sport. You can help someone only if he thinks he needs your help (you can "convince" him about that though but that's another story )

Anyway - from what I've ssee he always seemed a professional, realistic, matter-of-fact kind of guy - which is great in this field. Let's give him a chance.
Well looking at his resume he's not just a psychologist, he also has degrees in osteopathy and bio-mechanics and works with athletes on things like their posture. He's written pretty extensively on how things like stress, tension, fatigue and even personality can impact posture and I'm going to assume he includes that when he works with athletes.

I also hope that in today's day and age at least a few players can admit when something mental might be impacting their play. They don't need to go off crying, but at least admit when you are stressed or distracted by something FFS. If Mario Lemieux and Tiger Woods are willing to work with him, the scrubs on the Habs better not think they are above that.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

The Kostitsyns could have used Guimond too...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 09:35 PM
the

Hopefully he could help out Scott Gomez...

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:19 PM
niftymove

For Gomez, we need an hypnologist....to strongly suggest him to play in alaska!

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Belso

I, for one, am not sold on him. I always felt he just spoke the obvious or just didn't think his explanations on situations made any sense.

But I don't see any harm in the hire or have anything against the guy. Montreal is a very tough place to play mentally and there should be a team psychologist if there wasn't one before. Was there one before? He's got plenty of time, it seems, to get to know his clients with this lockout.

Welcome to the team Sylvain and help bring the cup home!!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 10:52 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The Kostitsyns could have used Guimond too...
Is he able to perform heart transplant?

Old
10-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
For Gomez, we need an hypnologist....to strongly suggest him to play in alaska!
lol.. Once Shaun Van Allen was playing in Edmonton and someone hit him so hard he skated back to the bench and told the assistant coach that he couldn't remember who he was.

Ted Green the head coach at the time wanted Van Allen on the ice and the assistant said something along the lines of, "He's not doing well. He says he can't remember who he is." Green replied, "Tell him he's Wayne Gretzky and get him back on the ice!" That's old time hockey. Funny story, but sure does make you realize just how little we knew about concussions back then.

Maybe Sylvain can hypnotize him into being someone who can shoot. I vote for Joe Sakic!

Old
10-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Noob616

Quote:

This.

I absolutely can not believe that there is still such criticism of Carey Price. It's beginning to border on absurd. He is one of, if not the most technically sound goalies in the NHL; the idea that there's a magic bullet problem that guys on an internet forum could fix that has gone over the heads of both him and his goalie coach is laughable.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Is he able to perform heart transplant?
You know, He had more heart than people gave him credit for. Sure he wasn't that energy player. And there are other players (Dustin Brown for example) which has similar skill sets and size that can do better than Andrei because he puts in 110% every night as opposed to 90% (Which is what half the team did last season) Andrei in my opinion had his motivation affected by being benched or put on the first, second, third or forth lines on any given night. His problems were compounded by the off ice distractions and the fact that there was a lot of issues with Sergei.

2 years ago when he has hit in the foot blocking a shot (Not too many first round picks who have no heart block shots) he missed a game because his foot was so swollen he couldn't put his skate on, but was back to play the big bad bruins the next game, was still blocking shots and hitting everything that moved. I even saw him lay Chara on his ass.

He doesn't have the most heart on his team by any standard. But he's also far from having none.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
You know, He had more heart than people gave him credit for. Sure he wasn't that energy player. And there are other players (Dustin Brown for example) which has similar skill sets and size that can do better than Andrei because he puts in 110% every night as opposed to 90% (Which is what half the team did last season) Andrei in my opinion had his motivation affected by being benched or put on the first, second, third or forth lines on any given night. His problems were compounded by the off ice distractions and the fact that there was a lot of issues with Sergei.

2 years ago when he has hit in the foot blocking a shot (Not too many first round picks who have no heart block shots) he missed a game because his foot was so swollen he couldn't put his skate on, but was back to play the big bad bruins the next game, was still blocking shots and hitting everything that moved. I even saw him lay Chara on his ass.

He doesn't have the most heart on his team by any standard. But he's also far from having none.
It's no point, if Kostitsyn was North American this subject would never come up.

He wasn't the hardest working person on the team by any means, but it should have been obvious it was less about him being a headcase or lazy and more to do with simply not having a very high hockey IQ.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:34 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

Agreed. That's why I put a .

Old
10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Scott Gomez, help is on the way.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Forsead

Well he seem to have great qualifications, so why not ?

I wish the Habs would become a more scientific team, like the Canucks are doing. Science can really help to get to another level in sports.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

I wish the Habs would become a more scientific team, like the Canucks are doing. Science can really help to get to another level in sports.
Especially in a league with as much parity as the NHL, where little things are the difference between making the playoffs and finishing in the bottom 3. I think instead of taking one approach, a team as rich as the Habs should be using everything in its power to get the most out of what it has - both scientific - psychology, technology, medical improvements, advance stats, and so on, as well as more classic training methods and experience-based knowledge.

Old
10-06-2012, 07:04 PM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

This man has watched MoneyBall.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Noob616

We really have no idea whether or not the Habs use advanced metrics in player evaluation. I don't think they necessarily have as much of a use as they do in baseball, it's harder to quantify production in hockey. CORSI relQoC and GVT provide a good look at the value a player provides, and are certainly valuable metrics, but it's not quite at the point where it can so heavily augment traditional methods. The reason it works so well in baseball is because it's a very static game, every pitch is its own separate statistical event, whereas with a fluid sport like hockey it's much harder to quantify. I'm a big fan of advanced statistics in hockey, but at the moment it's not quite at a Moneyball level.

I'd like to see NHL teams throwing more money at it and help what is right now largely a niche segment of hockey journalism reach the forefront.

Last edited by Noob616: 10-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote