HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Morgan Rielly discussion.

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 11:27 AM
eyeball11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If the Leafs weren't picking a centerman, Rielly was my choice.

Hard to say this early if they made the right choice.

If we are this excited about Biggs/Rielly 6 games in, wouldn't we be excited about Grigorenko?

By far the Leafs weakest position is down the middle in all levels.
I'd like to see Alex Steen or a Colin Wilson in the middle on the #1 unit. Sure a true, bonafide #1 is great but a defensively responsible guy (who compliments the line) and is in the 60 point range is fine by me (like what Boston had). We're building a very deep lineup. Not full of star power but deep. I like deep.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Stephen

Rielly seems to finally be that elite high end CHL product we've sorely lacked in the system for ages. There seems to be a bit of negative scrutiny on Grigorenko which would have made it more difficult as our fifth overall pick, even if he was a better positional fit, but I wish we had them both. But I guess with the lockout we might be in a good position to snap up another big piece without the heartache of another terrible season.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I am not suggesting that we should get rid of Dion, I'm saying he may want to ditch us if things don't go well in the next two seasons. Like you said he gets no respect here,I see him exploring free agency which would likely force Burke's hand, same for Kessel. This is prolly why I thought Burke would draft Dumba, he could replace some what Dion brings to the table, if he ever left.
Think Dion would be better placed on the shutdown pair, as he was at the Worlds the past 2 years.

Finn and Dion as the shutdown pair could make a good pairing down the road. Or a first pairing of Rielly and Dion intriguing also. Jake with Finn, with Granberg/Holzer with Percy. Or Blacker/Percy. Lot's of possibilities but clearly the young guys will need some veteran help. This is a very young defence corps. But an organizational strength.

Old
10-06-2012, 11:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Rielly seems to finally be that elite high end CHL product we've sorely lacked in the system for ages.

There seems to be a bit of negative scrutiny on Grigorenko which would have made it more difficult as our fifth overall pick, even if he was a better positional fit, but I wish we had them both.

But I guess with the lockout we might be in a good position to snap up another big piece without the heartache of another terrible season.
Yes, there was an over the top, non stop attack against Grigorenko. Kessel's attacks were tame in comparison, but Kessel had teammates throwing trash at him, not outsiders.

Anyway, Grigorenko is 2.33 PPG after 6 games and that's the number of games that has quite a few raving about Biggs, a previous year's draft pick doing 1.33 PPG, including 2 of 5 goals into empty nets.

Rielly has only played 28 CHL games since 2011, so we don't even have a large number of games to evaluate.

Just want to keep it consistent.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yes, there was an over the top, non stop attack against Grigorenko. Kessel's attacks were tame in comparison, but Kessel had teammates throwing trash at him, not outsiders.

Anyway, Grigorenko is 2.33 PPG after 6 games and that's the number of games that has quite a few raving about Biggs, a previous year's draft pick doing 1.33 PPG, including 2 of 5 goals into empty nets.

Just want to keep it consistent.
Grigorenko is off to a flyer but he was great to start off last year too. Let's keep that in mind. He was criticized because scouts felt that he was invisible when the Remparts needed him the most.

His performance is going to be judged when he shows up when the Remparts need him in big games.

At this time last year, people thought Grigorenko will go top 3. By the end of the draft, 11 teams passed on him.

As far as Biggs and empty netters. I don't see why including that 2/5 goals are empty netters have to do with anything?

That just tells you that a coach trusts Biggs to close out a game and puts him out there in the last minute of play.

Milan Lucic had 5 empty netters in his 30 goal season. That's the highest since the 04-05 lockout.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Yeah, exactly, a number of teams passed on Grigorenko. Never thought going in that he'd drop out of the top 10, so the Leafs weren't exactly alone there.

Old
10-06-2012, 12:12 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Grigorenko is off to a flyer but he was great to start off last year too. Let's keep that in mind. He was criticized because scouts felt that he was invisible when the Remparts needed him the most.

His performance is going to be judged when he shows up when the Remparts need him in big games.

At this time last year, people thought Grigorenko will go top 3. By the end of the draft, 11 teams passed on him.

As far as Biggs and empty netters. I don't see why including that 2/5 goals are empty netters have to do with anything?

That just tells you that a coach trusts Biggs to close out a game and puts him out there in the last minute of play.

Milan Lucic had 5 empty netters in his 30 goal season. That's the highest since the 04-05 lockout.
I agree having Biggs out protecting the lead is a good sign, the point about the 2 empty netters is that in 40% (again small sample size - for all the evaluations) of his goals he didn't face a goalie. But even 3 goals in 6 games is good.

I think we should treat 6 games as just 6 games for everyone.

Old
10-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
At the draft I was hoping we'd pick Forsberg. Now I would take Rielly over anyone other than Yakupov, Murray, and Galchenyuk.

Murray would be the perfect partner for Phaneuf, that pairing would dominate.

Heading into the draft, I wanted one of Forsberg or Galchenyuk to drop to us. By the time Forsberg had dropped out of the top 10, I was kinda glad we passed on him as I thought the teams must know something about him their not publicly saying. Also by draft day there was less of a feeling that Forsberg could play center...

Murray to me was just not sexy enough of a pick that high, but if he slipped I wouldn't have complained. His stabilizing influence would be welcome to our blueline, and probably as you said a perfect partner for Dion. I was thinking there was a good chance Murray slipped to us, I thought the top 3 would be 1) Yakupov 2) Forsberg
3) Galchenyuk...and then the Isles at 4 always a wild card, figured Murray made too much sense so they would pass him up for sure...

Old
10-06-2012, 05:15 PM
MapleReef

Best since Salming

This is a guy with the tools and the smarts to be our best drafted defencemen since Salming. Two more years and we got us a star.

Old
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
This is a guy with the tools and the smarts to be our best drafted defencemen since Salming. Two more years and we got us a star.
I feel the same way. Dominated at every level he's ever played at. He played 18 games last year and was still table top 5. Super stoked.

Old
10-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Looks like Rielly got upgraded, wasn't he an 8.0C?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/morgan_rielly

Old
10-06-2012, 06:08 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post

He was .5 higher than Kadri I think.

So Ya it looks like he got a bump.

Old
10-06-2012, 06:27 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Yeah, exactly, a number of teams passed on Grigorenko. Never thought going in that he'd drop out of the top 10, so the Leafs weren't exactly alone there.
Let's just hope he doesn't become the surprise of the 1st round. Since he went to Buffalo and if he scores a lot against the Leafs because they play the Sabres 6 times a year some people might say why didn't Toronto select him.

Old
10-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post

He was always an 8.5C

Old
10-06-2012, 06:33 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Let's just hope he doesn't become the surprise of the 1st round. Since he went to Buffalo and if he scores a lot against the Leafs because they play the Sabres 6 times a year some people might say why didn't Toronto select him.
We'll have Rielly and Finn to shut him down

Old
10-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Rielly seems to finally be that elite high end CHL product we've sorely lacked in the system for ages. There seems to be a bit of negative scrutiny on Grigorenko which would have made it more difficult as our fifth overall pick, even if he was a better positional fit, but I wish we had them both. But I guess with the lockout we might be in a good position to snap up another big piece without the heartache of another terrible season.
Don't worry now we will get Cody Hodgson from the sabres

10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
ponder

Big game for Rielly tonight, will be a good test for him against a strong Portland team.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Mr Lahey*

Keep us updated!

Old
10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleReef View Post
It's probably just the way you worded it, but the Leafs didn't draft Salming. He and Inge Hamerstrom were signed as free agents, though I don't recall if that term was in use at that point.

Old
10-06-2012, 08:36 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Don't worry now we will get Cody Hodgson from the sabres

About hodgson, I hated the way canucks treated him, I really hope he has a hat trick against them. I really love this kid, he has been through so much but never gives up. I would love to have cody on this team

Old
10-06-2012, 08:40 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Rielly looks as advertised. Got an assist in the first period

Old
10-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Rielly looks as advertised. Got an assist in the first period
Any good channels/links to watch?

Old
10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Any good channels/links to watch?
http://whl.neulion.com/whl/

Have to pay ~$6 however.

Old
10-06-2012, 09:56 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Warriors are up 4-0, Rielly with two primary assists, third period still to play.

Old
10-06-2012, 10:10 PM
TheOtherSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Warriors are up 4-0, Rielly with two primary assists, third period still to play.
Good to hear. Maybe he has more in him. Wish there was a free stream somewhere.

Closed Thread